The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Please switch the engine now before its too late..

Hazed

This is as ridiculous as your use of magenta. Practically everyone you speak with finds the story aspect of leveling ones character enjoyable. If you pay attention to what people are generally frustrated with it almost always has to do with end game. Because a player does not enjoy fighting AI in Ops does not mean that they did not enjoy the story of the leveling process. Strawman.

Dude. He said it's a Wookie. On Endor. I dind't even read what you wrote after that, because that guy had driven the point home already.

Back on topic, yea, that was some nice trolling. Just incompetent and narrow minded enough that you might really take it seriously. You lost it with the copy & paste part though, that broke your streak.

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am, and don't call me Shirley.

The best reply to the engine discussion in this thread.

Now if we could work in.. "The cockpit? What is it?" "Its a little room in the front of the plane where the pilots sit, but that's not important right now."

You CLEARLY do not understand the technical prowess of the OP. He is simply testing you all to see if you are worthy of being invited to his SUPER SECRET SWTOR project. HE IS THE PERSON WHO REMADE NAR SHADAA IN THE FLYTHROUGH!!!!!

Where you all have failed I will succeed.

Challenge accepted OP, Challenge accepted.

SWTOREMU ACTIVATE.:rak_03:

The best reply to the engine discussion in this thread.

Now if we could work in.. "The cockpit? What is it?" "Its a little room in the front of the plane where the pilots sit, but that's not important right now."

cockpit.. thats where all the "best" pvp players go to post their parsing and k/d ratios...

And relying on students/interns... the OP is nuts. I'm in a profession that uses and abuses them to death and on a constant basis (And they are unpaid). They wouldn't last a few months doing something like this with all of the work that the OP thinks can happen. With being over worked and school and deadlines, that's a good mix for a classic meltdown. And it ain't pretty when that happens.

This might be the dumbest post I've ever seen on these forums. Or the most genius troll. Ever.

Shut down the game for 6 months so that you can, "copy and paste" the game into a new engine? Yup. That's how you make a video game.

I don't even know what do say to all of this. The smug, condescending tone of it. The lack of even basic understanding of what is being proposed. It's just too much.

Why would it not have the drawbacks? That video demonstrated nothing but maps, textures and other cosmetic stuff. There is nothing in your example to indicate the engine could handle any type of load variations from multiple players.

Incase you didnt notice hero engine cant handle multiple players either. Anything is better than what they use now. Id support a game takedown for an engine switch at least the game would have a future unlike now. The engine restrictions kill any future

It's wonderful how people without a clue pretend to solve all the worlds problems based on nebulous data points and without any concrete examples.

I suppose if you saw a guy grow a tomato plant in a youTube video you could then solve world hunger? Maybe I'll throw my copy of "Fight Club" in the old BluRay player and solve the issue of violence...

Switching a game engine is not like replacing an automobile engine, yet for some reason people seem to think that it's oh so simple to just yank out one and start using another. Were it that simple, everyone would be doing it.

Proof anyone can make a game in Hero engine:

Proof even children can make an mmorpg:

Proof interns are cheap (Blizzard already uses them): http://eu.blizzard.com/en-gb/company/careers/university-relations/job-desc/intern/game-programmer.html

I know you all think you are smart by saying that its not about copy paste.. but it is..

just FYI your only deluding yourself if you continue to believe that there is some secret to building an MMO... this isn't the late 90's and most of the assets for these games are online.. hence copy/paste.

go read a book or something

I am asking them to remake the game plain and simple.

yes and they can do it within a 12 month timeline, just copy over existing ideas into an engine that actually does what they need it to do. Nothing magical or crazy about that.. it takes man hours and nothing more, hell they would be helping the economy by hiring all those students to do the work.

wow dude..you REALLY don't have any idea what you're talking about...that is the only FACT in this thread.

Wait for SWTOR 2 or whatever Star Wars MMO comes next (I like the Old Republic era, however).

You're asking for a new game to be developed, basically. Not happening. Anyone that has played this game for a decent amount of time knows something is really off about the "engine," or whatever term you'd like to use, in comparison to other games developed in the same time period. I don't particularly like it, but Guild Wars 2 runs great in comparison, looks fantastic, and can handle many players on screen. You can actually "Join the Battle."

I'm still enjoying SWTOR and probably will into next year. After that, I can see getting bored with it, unless they put out concrete plans for a real expansion with a continuation of class stories.

Using that engine was probably the laziest decision wth the worst impact ever made in the industry. Single handedly limited their capability and lifecycle. Ive never heard of a company looking for something that would kill their viability to upgrade. Sure companies cut corners but anyone should know the ONE thing you dont skimp om is the engine.

Look at the other game that used an existing outdated engine to cut corners. Warhamme and its dead. Why do u think companies use customized and highly flexible engines? Longevity and versatility. Bit bioware in the cheeks. Every problem they have stems from their poor engine choice

Edited by mmjarec
Sjdj

i'm perfectly fine with the current engine yes the graphics aren't as good as it would be with the cryoengine or w/e but i think the graphics looks fine + i spent 2 years playing this game i would be pissed of if they shut the game down for like 2-6 years to remake the game

This may already be answered in the thread, but I don't want to read through 12 pages of arguing so...

Does switching engines require a game to be fully rebuilt from scratch, or can stuff just be copied and pasted, so to speak?

I'm not a tech wizz or anything, so I don't really know what an engine is, apart from being software used to make games, and a piece of machinery which powers cars and other vehicles...

You do realize bring the game down and quickly switching the game engine would not by any means be a quick or even a cheap process right? It would more then likely require the game to be redesigned completely around the new engine which will take time and they would then have to make sure they can import the play's character data from the previous iteration of the game from the old engine to the new iteration of the game with the new engine. I don't know about you but i would not be happy to find I have lost close to 2 years worth of work on my toons.

Now a way they could do this is leave the game up and running while they have the game redone for the new engine and once the new engine is done bring the game down and import the players data to the in iterations of the game. This how ever has its own issues. The main issues would be the cost of running the current game while developing the game on a new engine. I highly doubt EA will allow that. The second issues is we would probably not get any content, or bug patches while this is happening. Think about it why fix bugs or develop new content for the old engine when your building a new one. The third and last issue I will point out is the integration of the players data in to the new engine. The would have to test this extensively to make sure it not only worked but no data was lost.

This is just my view take what you will from it.

SE pulled it off with FF14 so why not? lol. Hell that was probably the best thing SE could of done with FF14 as it actually turned it into a better game.

I'd be happier if they scrapped it entirely, and someone else made another. I'm getting closer to finishing dressing up all my characters after credit grinding. There's not much else to do outside of playing dress up right now.

The end game is stupid with unrealistic puzzle ops with unrealistic opponents like this is some D&D game. They didn't have to copy WOW's raid formula. Which might actually make a little sense in their setting. It's plain goofy in a SW setting though.

I'd be happier if they scrapped it entirely, and someone else made another. I'm getting closer to finishing dressing up all my characters after credit grinding. There's not much else to do outside of playing dress up right now.

The end game is stupid with unrealistic puzzle ops with unrealistic opponents like this is some D&D game. They didn't have to copy WOW's raid formula. Which might actually make a little sense in their setting. It's plain goofy in a SW setting though.

Ya cuz, ya know, there is nothing far fetched and unrealistic about people leaping 30m across the air, shooting lightning out their fingers, or throwing objects with their minds while using a sword made out of energy in an age of advanced ranged weaponry and space travel...

Proof anyone can make a game in Hero engine:

Proof even children can make an mmorpg:

Proof interns are cheap (Blizzard already uses them): http://eu.blizzard.com/en-gb/company/careers/university-relations/job-desc/intern/game-programmer.html

I know you all think you are smart by saying that its not about copy paste.. but it is..

just FYI your only deluding yourself if you continue to believe that there is some secret to building an MMO... this isn't the late 90's and most of the assets for these games are online.. hence copy/paste.

go read a book or something

OK MAN. You got us. I did, I fell for it. You can stop now.

Good use of unrelated material and unwavering opinion. Like I said, 8/10.

This engine does have it's problems, but that is more about an early engine state heavily modified for Bioware's purposes than it is the actual current Hero engine.

The problems caused by the substandard custom rework of the engine is what needs to be fixed. And due to those customizations it is likely impossible to switch over to a new engine unless they started from scratch.

FF demonstrated that a complete game overhaul can be done, and can even be a positive move, but this is not the industry norm.

I think that the game's performance can be improved over time, and has been improved since launch....but it definitely needs more improvement.