Star Wars Galaxies

Buffy_bites

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pre-force village was a blast! Loved the holo grind tbh... and the community, which NO OTHER MMO has brought/captured since... loved the fact that you went to a cantina to recuperate after a long day in the wilds... loved Player housing and shops. Loved watching the shadows grow longer as the two suns of tattooine sunk low over the horizon....

RIP SWG my beloved MMO... Hello the birth of SWTOR my beloved MMO!! I sense the force is strong with this one..

SWG had it's good points , crafting, player cities , housing , it was like Sims 3 meets SWG with job classes , doctor, musician, dancer, the lounge game play was fun players would come in to get restored....The space combat was ok having your own ship good, speeders were time saver...if SWG had SWTOR combat it would have been better, and if they would have Earth and Beyond space combat,and exploration it would be great. SWTOR is just getting started , and they have said they are going to be adding alot more to the space game play, in the future, and new content. EA should just have them add a updated space combat exploration from Earth and Beyond .:cool:

swg had a lot of faults, but there are thing's that it had that no other MMO could compete with. Player cities, built by players, the best crafting and resource gathering, free roaming space combat, and most of all, PLAYER BOUNTIES. really made playing a bounty hunter fun.

I played on Starsider Server at Launch. For those who remember Starsider was the "Unofficial" RP Server.

Starsider wasn't originally one of the Launch Servers. We petitioned SOE to have it there for launch......which they ended up doing.

That's one of the many reasons makes the Starsider server special!! and plus the fact I played on it :)

Each to their own

Crafting in SWG is awesome. Also space was too, as well as Beast Master and player cities. It offered a lot of end game content.

If SWTOR does not have these things or something similar then I do not see myself or anyone playing it as much, therefore atm SWTOR is the weaker game right now and I'll be surprised if it lasts more than 2 years.

Will have to see what Bioware churn out over the years

See I disagree here. SWG was losing players before they made the huge changes. The changes just killed off the people who actually enjoyed the game the way it was. But SWG was a niche game.

The complex crafting led to abuse early on. The player cities were just annoying to a lot of people (including myself). I'd rather have properly built cities than stuff people throw together.

I will admit there were some talented people who did some great stuff with their cities, but those were overshadowed by junk everyone else did.

I played galaxies at the beginning, and really enjoyed and liked it, I've read so many apologies to NGE, what was exactly that? Anyone could explain why it destroyed the game? I really liked it and had to quit for economical reasons, so i don't know what happened.

im looking but not finding anybody from Eclipse server or a refugee camp/link to reconnect with old friends. Does anybody have or know of a link? besides this thread?

i played swg from jtl until i was the Last player on eclipse lol was a Ghost Town for the longest. Dunno if they killed it or not... but I too Loathed the CU, NGE... i continued Only because there was Nothing Else Better! but All Good things must come to an end, same with the SWG. I suppose when your That successful and taking in That much MONEY the God complex sets in and you become seemingly Invunerable to All that oppose you. but in Reality, Most of the time, it is Somebody or Some Thing Else that makes you that succesful. not just one person or one entity that makes it possible. George Lucas had the original Idea STAR WARS but it took an ARMY of People to make it Reality. Biggest Blockbuster in the History of Film. By the same token it took Millions of people to make it So popular/successful, not just a few! SOE Failed because they listend to a few Snotty Nosed Whinners instead of the Real Masses that Loved the game as it WAS. FIX it dont CHANGE IT. I sincerly hope the TOR folks took notes on SOE's demise and have Planned accordingly. I see some Great Features and graphics to the game, but it Lacks the Feeling i had in SWG. to quote another post, it feels like A game i play in, not a game i Live in. It truly felt like another Life, Spectacular and Compelling. from the day i started to the day i left, Totally Enthralled. I hope BioWare can capture some of those traits and Create another Compelling game like SWG. as of now it Feels to Much like WoW, follow this trail and ye shall find... rather, Make my Own trail and find what I Want. I know its Way early to know what this game is about in total but i Really hope for player cities and houses to be a part of the game to store and show off our collections/trophies of our Hard work and efforts. I think thats what made it Feel like Home in SWG. not to mention the Friendly people the resided on each server. Sadley i have logged over 30 hours of gameplay and Only ONE invite to Party/Group with other Players, the Minute i logged into SWG i had Countless offers to join groups and help me lvl up. I felt Wanted and Needed. TOR i felt like an Outcast and Worthless. I sincerly hope that changes...

sorry so long winded , its been a long time gone from SWG.

IT Will Be Missed....... PRE-NGE FTW!

Good Luck Bio-Ware hope like Hell you can pull it off... it has the potential, lets see yas do it!

Elder; Jedi, Combat Medic, Spy, masterd all profs. pre-cu, 3 live accnts

Eclipse server

I played galaxies at the beginning, and really enjoyed and liked it, I've read so many apologies to NGE, what was exactly that? Anyone could explain why it destroyed the game? I really liked it and had to quit for economical reasons, so i don't know what happened.

first was the cu, they changed the way combat was in the game. nge was when they tried to "mimic" wow leveling, turning it into a themepark mmo instead of a sandbox. sandbox is you level by just playing/grinding, themepark is you follow story missions to level like swtor. swtor found a way to make it a little more fun tho, but still running back and forth for hours getting missions kinda sucks, then again you still somehow want to keep going.

swg was awesome at launch, and the biggest part about that i will miss was that each planet was a planet, not a level that you run from one end to the other in 10 mins but a planet that would take days to actually see every litttle piece of it(if all).

Edited by Sireene
SWGEMU - PM'd

sorry rickyard i also left out with the nge came the new classes. at first there were a lot of classes that had subclasses, crafters would break down into armorsmiths, weapons, vehicles, furniture, architect, etc . same with medics, scouts, brawlers, rifles, pistols, all these classes had at least 3-5 sub classes. you could mix any class you wanted choosing all the skills you wanted making everyone able to be a custom character. nge made it so you got on, and you were a bounty hunter or spy or medic, etc. not to mention one awesome function was that bounty hunters could also hunt real players for a paid bounty.

For me SWG died years ago...

I really loved the game at first, I was addicted to it. I loved the freedom of it, the way you could log on and just do whatever you wanted.

I can remember, WAYYY back when, before speeders and animal mounts. Before everyone found out about 98% Kinetic armor even.. we would group up, about 5-10 of us... and WALK out to the Krayt Graveyard... seemed like it would take us hours! But it was so fun / memorable! We would find a Krayt Dragon and then Imps would show up and it would be a huge fight right there in the canyon on Tatooine!

I also loved the Jedi grind, got my first holocron, told me to master Carbineer and I was hooked. I wound up mastering 19 professions before I unlocked my Force Sensitive slot!

To this day, that was the single most memorable moment I have had in ANY video game ever.

Then they roll out the CU... that changed alot of the stuff i really loved.. but i dealt with it, adapted.. Got my Jedi to Knight and then ...

NGE... what do they do? Hand everyone a lightsaber... took away all the mixing and matching of professions... thats when SWG ended!

sorry rickyard i also left out with the nge came the new classes. at first there were a lot of classes that had subclasses, crafters would break down into armorsmiths, weapons, vehicles, furniture, architect, etc . same with medics, scouts, brawlers, rifles, pistols, all these classes had at least 3-5 sub classes. you could mix any class you wanted choosing all the skills you wanted making everyone able to be a custom character. nge made it so you got on, and you were a bounty hunter or spy or medic, etc. not to mention one awesome function was that bounty hunters could also hunt real players for a paid bounty.

the customized profession templates is something i would love to see in future mmos it was the best way to let people spec imo because it added great diveristy . cant believe mmos are not using that system

I played SWG all the way up to Jump to Lightspeed and again SWG Pre-Cu was the best MMO I've played. A few things that made SWG unique to many MMO's:

There was no GRIND in SWG, thats until people found out professions were the key to unlocking Jedi.

SWG just felt so Star Warsy, the music the in game, automated noises, the scenery, the POI's it just had it all.

With the exception to unique weapons and armor found through a random loot table throughout the galaxy the best armor was crafted not passed out using a DKP system while spending a countless number of days/hours raiding the same boring boss every week.

The social life we had as players in SWG made it all so worth it. Everyone was someone, whether it was traveling to your favorite vendor or trying to locate a Smuggler with a reputation of giving a high % slice. Or what about the girl in the Cantina or the Doc sitting in the Starport tossing Buffs......

And last but not least and yet my favorite, how awesome was the World PVP!!! I had an absolute blast raiding cities, player made towns or better yet forgetting to go neutral before flying into a controlled city full of the opposite faction.

Say what you want, but SWG may not have been the best MMO but it had the potential of being the best. Blizzard grats, and thank you for WoW but just like SWG your time has come as well in my opinion. Time to start over and offer something else, a game can only last so long before the people are just tired of it. HELLO SWTOR!!!!!!

the customized profession templates is something i would love to see in future mmos it was the best way to let people spec imo because it added great diveristy . cant believe mmos are not using that system

Because it was impossible to balance.

SWG was okay, it was a good mmo for its time. And it had some features that this game doesn't that I think needs to be implemented. But to call it a great SW game you sir have lost it. I found myself so many times being like what the hell does this have to do with SW. Now TOR actually feels like your in the SW universe. Not once while I was beta testing did I go how is that even SW. While I will miss playing SWG a bit, I mean I did play it for like 4 years, but I am kinda glad it's dieing.