Star Wars Galaxies

Buffy_bites

Each to their own

Crafting in SWG is awesome. Also space was too, as well as Beast Master and player cities. It offered a lot of end game content.

If SWTOR does not have these things or something similar then I do not see myself or anyone playing it as much, therefore atm SWTOR is the weaker game right now and I'll be surprised if it lasts more than 2 years.

Will have to see what Bioware churn out over the years

Then u might want to pack-up because Bioware has not much of need of any kind of player cities when the crafters in the game will have their own vendors. Plus the Devs said a long time ago that ur ships will be decorate-able. It was supposed to already be in, but the Devs still have a lot of other stuff they need to still implement.

Not trying to be rude, but just telling u the way it's going to be for at least a long long while. Plus if u don't already like it then I myself wouldn't waste time or money on this game.

The biggest thing TOR needs to worry about now are the servers, they really need a lot more and be able to add more Bandwidth to our server right now so more ppl can get in to their servers.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For a game released in 2003, it offered a lot of vision, a huge sandbox and allowed players to do what THEY wanted, instead of having everything handed out to them.

The problem with many of todays MMOs(SWTOR included) is endgame content. Most players will rush to the end, and it becomes a cycle of being unable to release content fast enough to retain the player base - something WoW is suffering from.

Crafting, Character creation - Galaxies slaps SWTOR in the face here. Whenever I look around a server here, classes look identical, same companions, same almost everything.

The last patch even saw them have ground to space artillery cannons you could use, player housing, player bounties, open pvp, ability to raid any planet you wanted -

SWTOR never set out to be SWG 2 but SWG had alot to offer a player back in the day, before NGE destroyed it and it should be respected for its sheer vision and scope. And Bioware should be mindful that a simple design 'mistake' can cost you tens of thousands of players like when the NGE arrived on Nov 15th 2005.

If u have ever read any of Biowares letters, right now as we speak Bioware is makeing and adding more End-Game content and lower lvl Content, but u weren't listening. Also if u have red any notes if u are playing the game at all. Then u would notice that the Co-founders of this game also have said when u log-in to game that they said that they're still expanding on End Game Content.

Long live Eclipse and Euro Infinity!!

If u have ever read any of Biowares letters, right now as we speak Bioware is makeing and adding more End-Game content and lower lvl Content, but u weren't listening. Also if u have red any notes if u are playing the game at all. Then u would notice that the Co-founders of this game also have said when u log-in to game that they said that they're still expanding on End Game Content.

Such a great SW MMO, goes bye bye after Dec 15th

I will miss it greatly, and is such a huge loss over christmas. Spend many Life Day events with friends over the years in it, but will not get the chance this year :(

Pity it could not have stayed active until Jan 15th or something, it would have made christmas a whole lot brighter

Same here even though I quit once that zombie **** started, played for 3 1/2 years though

Each to their own

Crafting in SWG is awesome. Also space was too, as well as Beast Master and player cities. It offered a lot of end game content.

If SWTOR does not have these things or something similar then I do not see myself or anyone playing it as much, therefore atm SWTOR is the weaker game right now and I'll be surprised if it lasts more than 2 years.

Will have to see what Bioware churn out over the years

This game can never have what SWG had in it. SWG was what is called a sandbox mmo, where SWTOR is a themepark mmo. This game isn't the weaker, it's actually the stronger of the two. SWG sucked at the start, and got worse as they tried to fix it.

SWG sucked at the start, and got worse as they tried to fix it.

So... did you really play SWG or I am reading some unforgivable sentence? "Sucked at the start"?

You better joking.

P.S: Obviously not all people don't like SWG, but as the great game was for many many at the very beggining, I hardly doubt if really 'sucked'... until NGE, of course.

Edited by Vexdrall

Just logging in and getting the music still gives me goosebumps. As a player from beta 3 right through them wrecking it totally with the NGE I loved the game and the people who made Starsider the awesome place it was. Sadly, the NGE did change the game too much. I've logged back in recently but it's just not the same game I fell in love with all those years ago.

RIP!

I logged onto the EMU some time ago and when the music started I felt the same

All I remember is being a Twi'lek Weapon Crafter / Teras Kasi master who killed a bunch of Krayt Dragons with an AT-ST pet I grinded for. Eventually some rebels came and killed it. Then I never played again because there simply wasn't anything to do.

So... did you really play SWG or I am reading some unforgivable sentence? "Sucked at the start"?

You better joking.

P.S: Obviously not all people don't like SWG, but as the great game was for many many at the very beggining, I hardly doubt if really 'sucked'... until NGE, of course.

If SWG launched the way it was back then in a time like today, yes it would have failed and harder than any other MMO.

I still miss SWG and prolly always will. I played from launch day. Was laid up for almost a year getting knee replacements and multiple other surgeries. SWG was really the only thing I could do.

But its gone now. I blame SOE for it and always will. They destroyed that game with their half arsed attitude towards it. They also helped to seriously hurt the sandbox game as well. Thanks to them most game companies wont even consider a sandbox game again.

Tyr

Farewell SWG. As someone who's played a number of MMO's over the years, my time in SWG on the Tarquinas server still holds some of my fondest MMO memories--even grinding for countless hours to try and finish the Padawan quests pre-NGE ended up being a completely enjoyable experience. I have high hopes for SWTOR, and so far it's been an incredibly fun experience, but SWG got so many things right (100% player-run economies, an incredibly in-depth character customization system, basically the entirety of JTL) that I wish SWTOR would implement. But at least I have faith in Bioware to make this game great, as opposed to what we saw SOE do to SWG.

Loved swg from the beginning and 1½ years fourh on the infinity server until the combat rewamp, Loved the sandbox and ppl had to be social and shape the world. Hope swtor will stay true and doesnt do some silly alround changes. Happy gaming folks. Edited by Cadheb

I still miss SWG and prolly always will. I played from launch day. Was laid up for almost a year getting knee replacements and multiple other surgeries. SWG was really the only thing I could do.

But its gone now. I blame SOE for it and always will. They destroyed that game with their half arsed attitude towards it. They also helped to seriously hurt the sandbox game as well. Thanks to them most game companies wont even consider a sandbox game again.

Tyr

I will feel the loss for a long time to come. But I do put the blame where it really belongs, and that is with LA rather than SOE.

SOE's true colors shined during the last few months of the game. Instead of shutting down with no support and development, they managed to release features which no other game has ever implemented.

This game isn't a replacement, it was never intended to be that. And while I don't know of anyone out there that actually supported the NGE, the game known as SWG which shut down a couple days ago had some pretty incredible content that has yet to be seen in any other game. It most certainly was not the simplified game that the initial NGE heralded.

My problem with SWG was the lack of adventure and the feeling of being in a star wars game. You could craft, decorate homes etc but to me that was just boring. Theres a reason im playing a star wars game. I liked that not everyone could be a jedi, a similiar system would be cool in swtor but i guess alot of people wouldnt like it.

Never played jump to lightspeed though so i cant say anything about that, but I feel swtor is the game swg should've been.

That is a good point. The game could have been just 'sims in space' rather than Star Wars.

It was a great game, but a very very different one to WoW, and now ToR. It was more a social gathering than a game

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_place

As a computer 'game' it sucked, as a simulation or hobby it was great.

Ummm I thing there is some serious lag in the goodbye.

I was actually, farewell when the Combat Upgrade Revamp went live, and the final goodbye when NGE (New game experience) came and finished the game off.

Add SOE's facist aproach on the community, where if they didn't like a thread they deleted it.

There is a documentary called "the customer",it might by some miracle teach SOE a few things.

Some great moments but SWG was nerfed to death and for my money SOE spent too much time listening to the noisy few. Hopefully BioWare will not fully suit. I am enjoying TOR but I am strangely nervous about it's future. Not because I suspect the worst but rather because I want it to be so desperately wonderful. I don't know where the game will go but I'm prepared to put a lot of faithe in the peopl who gave me KOTOR.

was my first mmo and I loved it. sad to see it go

EDIT: And it had mon calamari's which will always be the superior species. I have reserved my mon cals name from swg just incase the legacy system allows me to unlock them :)

Edited by commandkill