Star Wars Galaxies

Buffy_bites

This debate over SWG is so old, it's not even funny anymore. Yeah, SWG was a great game. Back in the day, before the CU, and they dumbed it down. As John Smedly put it, they decided to gear the game towards power levelers - those that tend to play a game for 4-6 months, rather than long-term players. When the CU went live, that's when SWG truly died. It just took them this long to finally realize what the rotting stench was and finally have the sense to shut it down and bury it.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cant understand anyone who says good riddance to SWG, no-one forced you to play it. Bit like saying I hate cars, therefore noone should be allowed one.

It continues to be the best ever MMO as far as non-combat gameplay is concerned. The crafting mechanics in SWG were second to none. The entertainer profession, space content and the player housing were all great fun and unique. OK, the combat and graphics were a bit dated.

Maybe the crafting was too complicated for some, and thats why they didn't like it. :D

Edited by Laurapalooza

The game on release was really awesome. Their ideas and game play made me stick around for a long time. After they revamped the game to accommodate whiners I completely lost respect for them and lost interest in the game. I never could imagine someone being able to destroy a solid game. Edited by Zoline

thank god they are shutting that horrible game down! i've been asking for that, for a long while. Just really hoping they go bankrupt and all the idiots at SOE end up on the streets and picking food out of dumpsters

After what they did with that ridiculous NGE I hope so too!

Good in theory, horrible in execution, bit of nostalgia sadness, but it needs to be put out of its misery.

Maybe someday somewhere we'll get a sandbox Star Wars game, lets hope SOE keep their grubby mitts off it. they doomedit to failure from the moment they released it, then they committed slow suicide with hologrinds, combat upgrades, new game enchancements.

I cant understand anyone who says good riddance to SWG, no-one forced you to play it. Bit like saying I hate cars, therefore noone should be allowed one.

It continues to be the best ever MMO as far as non-combat gameplay is concerned. The crafting mechanics in SWG were second to none. The entertainer profession, space content and the player housing were all great fun and unique. OK, the combat and graphics were a bit dated.

Maybe the crafting was too complicated for some, and thats why they didn't like it. :D

it was SOE's handling of the game that people hate. The game was released not even half way through beta wiht minimal content, constant bugs that went ignored. Even content thatw as implamented was often left as is despite glaing flaws and bugs. The game had much potential but was botched in the name of the all-mighty dollar. The Class system was unique in it's own way that it provided players with a means of chaning their professions if they wished to. even beocming a Jedi had some sens eof accomplishment despite the risks and rewards. Unfortunantlky, SOE thought otherwise and incorporated a new system that resembled that of most MMO games and was done so wiht only a weeks advance notice. In a nutchell, the game itself was an ongoing paid beta.

with everything that has been said up to now, nothing changes the fact that SWG had an awesome community, servers were very close-knit, i still miss friends from Radiant...

Aikew

Mccay

Merlyn

Laa

Yoohoo

Alluri

Atwood

Gi

everyone from SABr, MoA, MM, SD,

and all my imperial friends too

signed,

"wootsauce"

Tegis Uxobi

Edited by Tegis

SWG was great. I had a lot of good times on there, for sure. It was great fun for a long time, but all good things must come to an end. The NGE was...painful. So was CU, in all honesty. It was, by far, the best sandbox MMO (and one of the only ones) of all time.

Now we have TOR, though. While it isn't a sandbox (and it really couldn't ever be just by the cost of animations alone, *), I think we've got a good foundation for a game we'll all be enjoying a couple years down the road still. Who knows? So far, so good though, right?

(* I mean - seriously. I have no idea how much it would cost to maintain the same cinematic cuts, animations, etc in a sandbox world nor do I have any interest whatsoever in trying to add it all up, but I get the feeling it would be a lot. A LOT. So give 'em a break and let's see what this game evolves into and maybe they'll give us Kel Dor, Wookies, etc etc.)

Was posting in another thread, which was locked...

Haven't played in years, but the only parts of SWG I miss are the memories pre-holocrons, which unfortunately lasted around 6 months from release.

The game had some great potential. One of the best crafting and resource gathering systems in any MMO to date. The open skill tree pre NGE gave players choice. The housing and guild cities facilitated user generated content... it was a blast. The one major flaw was lack of content, I'm sure everyone could agree. But it was a sandbox MMO, and I believe the players did well creating content for themselves.

I led our guild division on Lowca in the early months, with some 300+ players. I remember the first week making massive guild death runs to Endor in the first week to farm 999 quality resources, and the fields of harvesters on Naboo, nearly 1500 of them total before we could make the mid and larger size. Eight days to get my architect to grand master, factories building more factories and having two guildhalls built and placed on Tatooine.

MASSIVE pvp battles with our largest nemesis, Goon Squad. With a tight grip around all the top resources we made a fortune selling the best weapons and armor you could find on any server. In fact over time, we had people transferring servers just to buy Macross made weapons and transfering back. I remember a gang load of us speccing Commando up the fire tree, tamer for two grauls and medic, running around killing poor imperials and their brand new shinny AT-STs.

Then the holocrons came out.... People stopped pvping for the most part. Stopped defending the city, stopped mastering their professions. All the fun seemed to get sucked right out of the game. It was every man for himself, a race to be the first jedi... killing witches 24/7. This is what ended the game for me. I came back years later to experience jump to lightspeed, and that was fun. But the game was never the same as it was those first 6 months.

I know I'm probably the minority, but I'm so tired of the cookie cutter MMOs today. I'm still waiting for the next mmo which incorporates all the things that SWG did right and none of the things it did wrong......it wont be TOR, but maybe something else...

I have always missed the Pre-CU SWG. Being one of few to unlock Jedi and being able to PvP openly was amazing. Player Cities and Bases made it one of a kind. I would love to go back to it on the full scale it once was. Really sad to see it go (Pre-CU)

CU sucked and ruined it as we all know, it is time to lay it to rest.

If only someone else was able to create player cities, houses and bases again . . .

thank god they are shutting that horrible game down! i've been asking for that, for a long while. Just really hoping they go bankrupt and all the idiots at SOE end up on the streets and picking food out of dumpsters

Since when was the last time you played SWG? SWG was really becoming a better mmorpg the last 2-3 years. Granted, the population on some of the servers had decreased. I played SWG for 8 years and in my opinion it was the best mmorpg on the market.

Sure, I was angry about cu/nge and all that but, I came back and had a blast the last few years with the game. Like others have said the crafting was awesome, I think the addition of instances and all the gcw additions made the game alot better.

SWG had alot of depth with crafting, combat and it had something for everyone be...but, you are entitled to your own opinion.

Edited by Rtech

6 years later people are still bitter about the NGE....Hard to believe.

I played for 90% of the games life and enjoyed it. But I have to say it should've been shut down a couple of years ago when they closed most of the servers. PvE turned into a token grind and PvP turned into which side had the Dire BH's to snare the 3rd floor of the med center in restuss. Oh and /assist lol.

SWG was a good game before the devs botched it with NGE. CU i didn't mind too much, got everyone out of composite armour. :D shouldn't have had jedi in that game either, because there weren't supposed to be any during the dark times anyway, but too many people would have QQ'd about it.

It's funny to read all the hate(potentially troll) comments posted by inflamed pre-nge users. The only bad thing the NGE brought to teh game was the mass reduction in classes and terrible lag. The lag got better, and they added multiple talent trees for each profession to kind of make up for the class destruction.

The game had more content and more ways to make your own content, had a combat system which was not broken or ruled by any single class. a great social sandbox with enjoyable PvP and PvE, But most people just remember being a pissed off 13 year old when the game changed, so that's how they feel now lol.

:cool:

Like all of you... I did the holo grind and finally got my visit from the old man. Did the jedi village and worked my way up to Master LS/Master Defense. Was one of the two best armorsmiths on the server. Had the only Chef that made Mandalorian wine... One of two folks who had the first two sets of full Mandalorian armor on the server. After 2 and half years of getting Jedi, going through NGE and CU I finally gave up my "flashlight" after they made it possible for folks to role a Jedi on day 1. Talk about a slap in the face...

Anyway, I look forward to playing and working along side of many of my old SWG partners out there. If you miss those old days of really having some great guild raids, parties and grinding fests... lets meet each other in this game on a distant planet far far away. Have fun everyone.

Lameth/Manuu

SWG Tarq server

I loved blowing people up with commando heavy weapons till they ruined combat. I liked lagging people out with dual concussion pistols.

Bounty hunter/commando best time ever.

lagging people out sounds like a great combat system. Pre-NGE was broken, CU was fine, NGE was broken, GCW fixed the game.