Star Wars Galaxies

Buffy_bites

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So basically. THose people that really liked SWG, liked it because.....because....IT WAS LIKE LIVING ANOTHER LIFE IN A GAME????

Really? That's why you liked SWG? Was for the building of a house? Decorating it? Paying maintenance on it? All of that is what you liked? Well, crap, I thought a game was for escaping reality once in awhile, not living it by proxy through a video game.

I'm glad it's gone, I'm glad it's dead, may it rest in peace. I hated that game. A total waste of time and life.

SWG had to go due to the contract between Lucas Arts and EA/BW. The CEO of Lucas Arts gave EA/BW exclusive rights to Star Wars Online gaming. George Lucas was upset about this as both games should have been able to co-exist. Lucas then fired the CEO.

Sorry if this has already been said, but that can't be true. They might have revoked licensing specifically for SWG, but SOE still has Clone Wars Adventures, which is a multiplayer online game despite not being an MMORPG.

thank god they are shutting that horrible game down! i've been asking for that, for a long while. Just really hoping they go bankrupt and all the idiots at SOE end up on the streets and picking food out of dumpsters

Comments like this are just more evidence as to why this game's community is going to be... well... bad.

Sorry if this has already been said, but that can't be true. They might have revoked licensing specifically for SWG, but SOE still has Clone Wars Adventures, which is a multiplayer online game despite not being an MMORPG.

the devil's in the details. if TCWOA isn't listed as an MMORPG then SWTOR would still have full reign on Star Wars online gaming... in the MMO department.

If you had to eliminate silly games like that, you'd have to stop making any starwars games with Xboxlive/PSN accessibility (battlefront 2 any1? lol)

SWG was a good game to me... I'm sorry so many others have hurt feelings about it.

So basically. THose people that really liked SWG, liked it because.....because....IT WAS LIKE LIVING ANOTHER LIFE IN A GAME????

Really? That's why you liked SWG? Was for the building of a house? Decorating it? Paying maintenance on it? All of that is what you liked? Well, crap, I thought a game was for escaping reality once in awhile, not living it by proxy through a video game.

I'm glad it's gone, I'm glad it's dead, may it rest in peace. I hated that game. A total waste of time and life.

I'm sure it was happy to see you gone also. Btw, if you read a little more about what people were saying, it wasn't about the housing and virtual life. The game was a sandbox. You could build your classes the way you wanted (preNGE), meaning you weren't just another cookie cutter. You could actually MASTER your craft, build guns and armor that were superior than other crafters. Tou could build entire cities and bases, outfit them with defenses, raid the opposite faction's bases. The game completely facilitated user created content that is something good for developers, and players. You don't see that anymore.

If all you want is to be spoon fed the same mind numbing crap content over and over... well play wow or any other MMO, that is exactly what you will get. Some people that, some people like to have a real choice and feel like they are actually shaping and changing the game. Just because you didn't like it, doesn't give you a reason to crap all over those who did. grow the F up.

Oh goodness people - if you don't like SWG then move along. No need to spew here.

I loved SWG and I'm sad to see it go. Not so much the game a the end... but the people that I met there were amazing and truthfully I've not met their like in any other game.

I don't know if it was the lack of global chat those first years or if it was the sandbox game structure - but I had a glorious time doing everything from decorating my house yet again to spending hours in space pvp and I found common ground with so many people.

I will miss the game. I don't play often but the chance to maybe run into an old friend or do an HK pug on the fly was enough to pull me in now and again.

RIP Tempest.

Bye SWG. Thanks for the fun.

I played SWG for years... I really liked that game, it had so many different aspects to it which kept it entertaining for so long. Then they did that Combat Upgrade patch as they called it which ruined the game for me. Everything I had spent years working on, my awesome doctor clothing, massive amounts of resources, buffs and food, really high quality weapons etc were all ruined with that update, so I quit. The graphics may not be much compared to SWTOR, but its still a great game. Edited by Sireene
SWGEMU - PM'd

NGE was the big killer (all you hardcore guys come out and let us know it was CU just to prove how long you played) which happened years ago... kinda funny seeing people mope about the game especially considering the state its in at its close. I know its your favorite horse but it stopped walking years ago so why fret over the bullet now? ( and where the heck are the forums located? theres a 10 hour gap in post time to where i live. According to forum time I shoulda had my pre-access 6 hours ago.) Edited by Dysan_Grey

I would have to agree CU wasn't cool...but it didn't kill the population by 2/3 in one day like NGE did. I played a BH with the same name on Chillastra. As soon as NGE hit i felt really, really bad for the jedi who spent the whole year becomming one. Felt even worse seeing them leave as i just became force sensitive in order to hunt inside the village. The 400 mil i lost wasn't the worst part... the worst part was understandably seeing all the jedi go. Edited by Dysan_Grey

SWG was a king MMORPG. It had everything you needed to sustain long replay ability. After months of training, I was finally a Jedi. The very same week, NGE was announced with Jedi as a selectable start option.

No words can comprehend how bad a design choice that was. Their levelling system was unique and incredible, but lets scrap that. ugh.

I don't expect SWTOR to be another SWG, but lets hope they take some of the mechanics and see the potential TOR has in the future (as end game is always going to be a concern)

I gave my RIP to SWG after NGE.

It's a shame they are shutting down the Servers for SWG, i've always wanted to try out the Game but never got into PC Gaming until Star Wars: The Old Republic which i'm still hoping they will release a Console Port for like Square Enix did with Final Fantasy XI just because i'm more of a Console player and all my friends are too. Maybe in the future we will see a Port for SW:TOR and SWG. :p

I'll always have fond memories of healing everyone at the cantina and marches out to the Sand People lair before vehicles were introduced. It was also my first beta involvement

Fare thee well

Edited by tophersc

I played that game since its launch until it took the path known as the NGE. The CU was fantastic and really added a new element to the game play: ability. Pre-CU was all about who had the best gear (loot drops) and that was it. It was a spamfest without any actual skill being required. Anyone that complains about are just being babies, because they could no longer spamkill people in PvP, nor could they solo as easily a Krayt Dragon (like a Swordsman or Rifleman could easily do, etc.).

I always enjoy seeing those people cry after the CU; that's why so many people stayed and the game thrived during those times.....

I was on Bloodfin. Ganner-Rhysode.

Yes the crafting was fantastic in that game as well as the simple utility of just being able to explore, wander the galaxy. You felt like you really were just going off into the wilderness. I was both an Armorsmith and a Weaponsmith at different times and had a thriving career in both (especially Armorsmith, my character for that was Numar Malik).

I remember the days when everybody had to do the afk "follow" in order to get to the Tusken Fort on Tat (when everyone would go in a huge group walking there, which would take about 15 minutes). Ahhhhhhhhh great times.

I was a CU Jedi (had to love hologrinding back in the day LOL). Enjoyed every minute of it. I know this game's different (participated in the first 2 weekend Betas), but it's a good different. Will it last? Not sure, as the maps at times can be rather small. However, there are a lot more worlds on this one and a lot of ability to explore. The furthest I made it was level 29 on Tat. It's a good game with great potential, but one can not compare this game with old school SWG; it's just not of the same calibre.

I've just fired up SWG:ANH yesterday and almost wept. My good old SWG. Just the way it was in my first days in 2003. Loved it. Infortunately the place is deserted so far, but hey, oportunity to relive it still exists. Edited by Kelebdraug

when they ruined swg:mad: they killed it i went from 10 account:rolleyes: to have everything i wanted an needed:D including a shuttle in my city to zero:eek: but they did me the faver:D warcraft was much more fun:) any way an rift alright they really had it together there in bete and there early relese:p much better than what i'm seeing now:(

Each to their own

Crafting in SWG is awesome. Also space was too, as well as Beast Master and player cities. It offered a lot of end game content.

If SWTOR does not have these things or something similar then I do not see myself or anyone playing it as much, therefore atm SWTOR is the weaker game right now and I'll be surprised if it lasts more than 2 years.

Will have to see what Bioware churn out over the years

Agreed. 2 great aspects of SWG. I am fairly certain BW has these aspects in mind, although from what I have seen resource acquisition will never equal that of SWG, in any game I have seen in years.

And keep in mind space (Jump to Lightspeed) was an expansion in Galaxies years after release.

Wait and see.

Agreed. 2 great aspects of SWG. I am fairly certain BW has these aspects in mind, although from what I have seen resource acquisition will never equal that of SWG, in any game I have seen in years.

And keep in mind space (Jump to Lightspeed) was an expansion in Galaxies years after release.

Wait and see.

The resource system was realistic, but it was a blight on the landscape.

"Smuggler Upgrade" really sucked, and most everyone I knew quit the day the NGE came out. What we found out, though, after delving into WoW and other MMOs for years, was that everything still paled in comparison to SWG. There were collectible art pieces, customized housing, killing rancors for 100 credits per hide, gathering wooly hide, BH/creature handling (that drew plenty of interesting conversations), Swordsman/Doctor, incomparable cities, the list goes on.

In what other game could a person enjoy sitting in the cantina all day playing music and redoing hair? I agree that the community involvement was the best part of the game. Plus, it was STAR WARS! Later, when I did come back after the NGE, I got into Beast Mastery and really enjoyed the complexity and fun of it. It was a game where you earned a name and that name stood for something. You weren't just the tank with the "best gear." You were Jaqe the armorsmith, or Raain the clothier, Vakten the DJK, or Ahrotahn and Akhbar, the best Human/Wookie hunters around!

I think SWTOR is awesome, and will be fun, but I will still miss those days on Lowca.

RIP.