Star Wars Galaxies

Buffy_bites

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed. 2 great aspects of SWG. I am fairly certain BW has these aspects in mind, although from what I have seen resource acquisition will never equal that of SWG, in any game I have seen in years.

And keep in mind space (Jump to Lightspeed) was an expansion in Galaxies years after release.

Wait and see.

lol. years? it was out in one year smh.

In all reality, the pre-CU/NGE version of SWG was by far the most player-involved MMO I've ever had the joy of playing. However, SOE decided to sell out their fanbase for a far more flippant one, and that was eventually their downfall, as many hardcore originals had predicted. While the population dropped quite a bit with the release of WoW, and other misc. titles, the mechanics of the game itself were far more involved than any other. The character customization in and of itself was one of the best out there.

We all miss the days of perma-death Jedi and having to walk to our favorite farming/leveling spawnpoints, but things evolved, not all of them for the better. I have to say though, the player controlled economy was one of the most amazing facets of the game that I sorely miss.

;)

Edited by Sireene
SWGEMU - PM'd

Each to their own

Crafting in SWG is awesome. Also space was too, as well as Beast Master and player cities. It offered a lot of end game content.

If SWTOR does not have these things or something similar then I do not see myself or anyone playing it as much, therefore atm SWTOR is the weaker game right now and I'll be surprised if it lasts more than 2 years.

Will have to see what Bioware churn out over the years

speak for yourself. im loving the game, got in first day currently lvl 27. absolutly loving it. regardless of weather it has all swg stuff in or not. this is the superior game but agree on one thing and that pre ngu swg was awesome. but me and my guild mates are absolutly loving the game

In all reality, the pre-CU/NGE version of SWG was by far the most player-involved MMO I've ever had the joy of playing. However, SOE decided to sell out their fanbase for a far more flippant one, and that was eventually their downfall, as many hardcore originals had predicted. While the population dropped quite a bit with the release of WoW, and other misc. titles, the mechanics of the game itself were far more involved than any other. The character customization in and of itself was one of the best out there.

We all miss the days of perma-death Jedi and having to walk to our favorite farming/leveling spawnpoints, but things evolved, not all of them for the better. I have to say though, the player controlled economy was one of the most amazing facets of the game that I sorely miss.

;)

No, LA decided it.

Remember that.

And I do have to laugh.

What other MMO has released several "never done before" in MMOs features during their sunset period? I know of none.

I loved the game Pre-CU. I beta'd the CU and remember my sadness after seeing it. Compound that sadness several times for the NGE. But a game is much more than its mechanics. And now, six years after the NGE, there existed a game that was refined in many areas that no other has even tried to fill. A game, which still had bugs of course (as do all games), which achieved more than most others of its time.

And yet, people want to capitalize on things that happened more than six years ago without bothering to examine the past 4+ years of development when rendering their opinions.

Me, I'll hang around in atmospheric flight, waiting for another game to implement that innovative feature.

Edited by Sireene
SWGEMU - PM'd

My problem with SWG was the lack of adventure and the feeling of being in a star wars game. You could craft, decorate homes etc but to me that was just boring. Theres a reason im playing a star wars game. I liked that not everyone could be a jedi, a similiar system would be cool in swtor but i guess alot of people wouldnt like it.

Never played jump to lightspeed though so i cant say anything about that, but I feel swtor is the game swg should've been.

ahhh good old times. Doing raids on the other fraktion....making good armor and weapons.

Get buffed, watch some hot cantina babe dance for you. good times indeed.

but like they say.

The king is dead...long live the new king SWTOR ;-)

lol @ people who think that the NGE game that was presented some 5 years ago is anything like what the game became in the past 4 years.

Pre-NGE was garbage, yeah you could do what ever you liked in your class but in the end day it was

Knocked down

Knocked down

Knocked down

Knocked down

Knocked down

Knocked down

Knocked down

mind pool is empty your dead.

best part of PRE-NGE PvP was that the battlefield was full of players lying down, but not dead, in which case the marksmen late to the fray got to mind shot everyone.

It was only good before the Combat Upgrade as that destroyed the game.

If you played the game after Pre-CU then you have no idea how fun it was as even now I still say the Swordsman, Lightsaber animations were the best I have seen :)

Don't forget the Pikeman. :)

My problem with SWG was the lack of adventure and the feeling of being in a star wars game. You could craft, decorate homes etc but to me that was just boring. Theres a reason im playing a star wars game. I liked that not everyone could be a jedi, a similiar system would be cool in swtor but i guess alot of people wouldnt like it.

See, for me SWG was very much playing a Star Wars game. If I just wanted to PVP and kill things for loot, I could do that in ANY other MMO.

Edited by Sireene
SWGEMU - PM'd

Im pretty sure in the next two years Bioware will allow player cities. If not, I'll shoot myself.

I wouldn't hold your breath on it. =/ If it is added in, i'd be willing to say it'll be instanced based. Probably like a Cor. apartment building or something equivilant.

It's already in-game.

Interesting. Is it the Target of Target assignable key-binding that you're talking about? And in any case, is it a "we are a macho group and we will steamroll you" button, or is it somewhat reasonably useful and not overly advantageous for steamrolling?

For a game released in 2003, it offered a lot of vision, a huge sandbox and allowed players to do what THEY wanted, instead of having everything handed out to them.

The problem with many of todays MMOs(SWTOR included) is endgame content. Most players will rush to the end, and it becomes a cycle of being unable to release content fast enough to retain the player base - something WoW is suffering from.

Crafting, Character creation - Galaxies slaps SWTOR in the face here. Whenever I look around a server here, classes look identical, same companions, same almost everything.

The last patch even saw them have ground to space artillery cannons you could use, player housing, player bounties, open pvp, ability to raid any planet you wanted -

SWTOR never set out to be SWG 2 but SWG had alot to offer a player back in the day, before NGE destroyed it and it should be respected for its sheer vision and scope. And Bioware should be mindful that a simple design 'mistake' can cost you tens of thousands of players like when the NGE arrived on Nov 15th 2005.

Long live Eclipse and Euro Infinity!!

SWTOR has too much to improve this game. But understand this: the work of ALL classes storylines, without doout, carried to Bioware toooo much time working about it, so that's why right now we don't have much great variety of things to do... anyways, I understand that point, because after all I have EIGHT STORIES to play and enjoy, what will keep you for sure pretty busy ingame :p (Remember dudes, you're paying each month for a lot of content of this game, not just only to play one class, you know... this game deserves so far to play ALL classes. All are awesome, they all deserve to be played at least once or even more, what the hell...) Oh, and some pvp by many open pvp worlds, duels and three good battlegrounds. Some crafting, enjoying my companions, some space ship battles and having fun times with good people by chatting and the flashpoints / operations / heroics / expeditions thing, you know...

The future of this mmo will be very handled for sure by the next kind of new contents could add Bioware... so be really careful.

Not like having great necessity to take as reference SWG, but you could get something from there. Because there is no more about that fantastic game, what had some fantastic ideas like the bounties, the moldeable citadels, free space, etc., etc...

To sum up about what I'm referring right now, I will quote this:

The problem with many of todays MMOs(SWTOR included) is endgame content. Most players will rush to the end, and it becomes a cycle of being unable to release content fast enough to retain the player base - something WoW is suffering from.

Crafting, Character creation - Galaxies slaps SWTOR in the face here. Whenever I look around a server here, classes look identical, same companions, same almost everything.

The last patch even saw them have ground to space artillery cannons you could use, player housing, player bounties, open pvp, ability to raid any planet you wanted -

SWTOR never set out to be SWG 2 but SWG had alot to offer a player back in the day, before NGE destroyed it and it should be respected for its sheer vision and scope. And Bioware should be mindful that a simple design 'mistake' can cost you tens of thousands of players like when the NGE arrived on Nov 15th 2005.

/clap over 9000 :w_cool:

Cheers and good luck to all. Let's enjoy for now and apport sometimes to improve a lot this game itself and work together as well for a safe, prosperous and enjoyable community (something that even can make greater a MMORPG)! :p

Edited by Vexdrall