Star Wars Galaxies

Buffy_bites

I look back to Dec 26th, I am bootign up swg on my old single core athlon computer, I had played a bit at launch but rl had kept me away. I decided to scrap that character and create a new one on the Scylla galaxy.

The game loads up and i choose tyrena as my starting city on han solo's home world of corellia and set upon my path to become a smuggler. I have a contact in the game, but he informs me he is on Naboo, stating he woudl set me up with 100k but I would have to come see him.

With thoughts of cash I head to a mission terminal and pick up a few courier missions. The pay is lousy barely enough to cover the round trip shuttle ticket but i do the missions. one after another until i have saved up a few thousand credits. Enough to take me to naboo. I arrive in theed broke and still no closer to seeing my friend so i take a quick combat job. With my mediocre skills and weak blaster I complete the mission. Enough credits to shuttle to the player city where my friend lives. I arrive and he tells me that in trade for the startup loan he wants to rent 6 of my characters lots for harvesters. I agree. He lends me a speeder and we take off for his harvestor fields. I drop what he asks for and while we are there we are ambushed by some random npcs. We defeat them and i nearly die. I take the money and walk itno a player shop. I purchase a blaster pistol much stronger than my current and paid my friend back 16000 for teh speederbike to keep. 7k into a blaster and another 40k into armor i am heading back to correlia to hunt.

Day 2 ( no sleep)

I am levelign outside of tyrena, almsot done with my initial marksman training for pistoleer and starting unarmed training when i come upon a player camp with a tailor in it huntign animals for leather. She offers to hire me to help. I choose to help her thinking i could use the credits as my armor had broken and repair on my blaster had started to bite into my initial loan. for 6 hours we hunted and became friends. She mentioned that she lived on talus and asked if i would liek to join her city. I said yes and headed off to talus, trained nwo in novice pistoleer and novice smuggler.

For a week i lived in her city, running hunting trips with her and startign to craft spice. That was until i met a commando on naboo, i was neutral she was rebel and talked me into joining the rebellion. I joined and there started my involvment. I moved from the city of the tailor friend, to be near my new guild.

SWG was a livign breathing world. Players drove interaction, it took time commitment and planning to make it anywhere in that world. Factional choice drove pvp, betrayal was common. There will never be another like it.

SWTOR will be different. With a few things added SWTOR could in fact rival swg's community tools. ( colonization worlds in the outer rim where player cities dot once barren surfaces. mineral worlds control for rare craftign resource nodes etc) while still allowing for epic stories to level up. SWG leveling system was repetitive. we Made it fun. Bioware made the game fun, but leaves the door open for more possibilities.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never actually subed to it more like free trialed 4 times lol... i like it and it was fun but i dont think it could beet TOR.. but i never experinced the real SWG before the combat update so i will never know the fun people say they had...

RIP SWG its sad i never got to know you... but you will never be TOR... but prehaps the original SWG could of beet TOR.. but not the new you... RIP... Rest In Peace....

RIP SWG its sad i never got to know you... but you will never be TOR... but prehaps the original SWG could of beet TOR.. but not the new you... RIP... Rest In Peace....

Nor did it ever want to. :p Two different styles of games, it's like trying to compare a story driven game vs minecraft <_<

thank god they are shutting that horrible game down! i've been asking for that, for a long while. Just really hoping they go bankrupt and all the idiots at SOE end up on the streets and picking food out of dumpsters

It used to be a great game.

thank god they are shutting that horrible game down! i've been asking for that, for a long while. Just really hoping they go bankrupt and all the idiots at SOE end up on the streets and picking food out of dumpsters

I am surprised that steaming pile of bantha poodoo lasted as long as it did, and I played for over 4 years from launch and all the incarnations, soe wrote the book on what not to do to a game.. Sony over all just bad, playstation network, saving users info in plain text, let us not forget 2005 when they put a rootkit on everyones computer thats bought a sony music CD, that cost them also.. they are thier own worst enemy

I played SWG from bata up to about a year ago. It was a grate game but the people in charge of it realy messed it up. When there was something realy fun and cool to do in the game they removed it or changed it so it was not very much fun.

I realy hope that the people at SWTOR take some notes and learn some things form the way SWG went becouse it could have be the best on line game ever.

SWG had to go due to the contract between Lucas Arts and EA/BW. The CEO of Lucas Arts gave EA/BW exclusive rights to Star Wars Online gaming. George Lucas was upset about this as both games should have been able to co-exist. Lucas then fired the CEO.

plz post the link that says this.

I doubt we'll see SWTOR have the same level of game content as SWG since that game was a sandbox oriented game while SWTOR is theme-park oriented. However i'm betting down the road through the progression of SWTOR we'll see some awesome things.

One thing many of us will admit is SWG was one of the greatest MMOs out there due to its simplicity and complexity. The simplistic nature allowed you to do whatever you wanted yet the complexity was housing, player cities, and most of all the crafted economy where players made everything.

I'll truly miss going to a doc, buffing up and hitting up the Geo caves for samples + extra goodies. Taking down my first Krayt Dragon was awesome and loved the X-mas event on the Radiant server. Whole town in Tatooine had a tree put there a PLAYER CITY mind you that had a live event supported by the devs.

Hopefully we'll be able to see player created events down the road for SWTOR.

Goodbye SWG you were a king among MMOs and you will be missed.

yeah yeah yeah go RADIANT !!!!! Elder Jedi Bullet Elite swg will be missed pvp was amazing the whole game was amazing because of how orchestrated the community made it because it was a sandbox yet there was a lot going on and you had to rely on the community for everything. Was Great sad it wasnt recognized for its true amazingness. I even quit WoW when it launched cuss it just wasnt as good as SWG. But NGE was tossed upon us and thats when all our characters died that day.

I played SWG on Eclipse server. I started shortly after the game went live and played until the NGE, which I hated. I was one of the early players to unlock the Jedi slot and leveled up to Jedi Knight. I was working on Guardian when the Jedi system changed to be more mix and match like the other professions.

I have to say I miss the old days of trying to stay off the BH mission terminals and fighting for my life when a BH finally did find me. I loved hiding the fact that I was a Jedi so that I wouldn't get TEF'd by someone. I also liked the real power Jedi had as they finished out their profession.

What I didn't like was:

• Grinding and mastering professions randomly to unlock
  • Holocron camping
  • Hunting Rancors on dark and dreary Dantooine for literally countless hours
  • Having to hunt Krayts for their pearls on my regular character
  • The crazy "Fight Clubs" of Dark and Light Jedi in order to gain rank
  • The lack of a real Galactic Civil War in which I could fight
  • The heavy focus on Mind pool attacks since these couldn't be healed
  • The imbalance of Combat Medic DOTs

The list goes on.

There was a lot to not like about how SOE handled Jedi in that game. The worst thing they did though was when everyone could roll a Jedi and those who had spent literally a year worth of online time to become and level a Jedi now had a character that anyone could with little effort. People put forward all kinds of ideas about other End-Game classes which could be mastered and put players on equal footing by requiring the same effort, etc. But instead Jedi just became another combat class which had no real advantage to show for the intense effort it had required.

That's when most left. If there are two things MMOs can learn from SWG, they are:

1. Always reward your players who have a heavy time investment.

2. A more sophisticated crafting and resource system is a big draw.

I've had a love/hate relationship with SWG for quite a while, but I'll admit that I'm going to miss it. I started playing the game the date it launched (I even had the collector's edition!), and I stuck with it for about five years until the NGE just mad me so angry that I gave up and quit.

I month or so ago I started my account up again just so I could be there for the final days.

As angry as I've gotten with that game, I know that I'm going to be sad to see it go. I have a lot of fond memories in that game-- a lot of them. More fond memories than I've made in any other MMO.

seems you had a bad day there, a lot of poeple DO enjoy the game, i know i have for 8 years, and i'm sad to see it go.

R.I.P. SWG, you will surely be missed, YAY for pre launch SWTOR, but i will be spending my time on the last days of SWG.

Just logging in and getting the music still gives me goosebumps.

I know that feeling. I had a lot of good times playing that game. I wish I had reactivated back in September before the cutoff just to take one last look at my BH trophies from all the player bounties I collected. SWG will be missed.

SWG was my first MMO and then came NGE... ugh... I couldn't play another MMO for a long time after that, it was devestating the way they changed it.

It was an amazing place before they completely changed it. No other MMO has been able to rival the crafting and housing as many have mentioned. I killed me in LOTRO that I couldn't just put stuff on my wall of my house where I wanted to, so frustrating!

Goodbye SWG but you've been gone a long long time.

Today and tommorrow i will be playing SWG.

SWTOR is going to be a new exciting way to visit the SW universe, and it does have coruscant which shoudl be a stable to any proper SW MMO in my opinion. Too bad my sith assassian can't visit it though.

Edited by Sireene
SWGEMU - PM'd