ETA on Advanced Class change?

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread needs to just...die. And stay dead.

Those who want AC change want it badly. Those who don't want it, despise it vehemently.

And the devs have said "No", in words and actions.

De Nile is not just a river in Egypt.

Edited by therandyman

Lol. Folks desperately holding on to any shred of the old game they can.

If you think that the current devs actually hold the same kind of notions that the original devs had about AC, I would wager you would find you are sorely mistaken.

I think you would find, instead, that the current devs feel AC is no more important than spec, and the only reason they have not offered AC swap up to this point is there simply isnt a good reason to do so.

Seriously guys....AC stopped being important long ago, and lost almost all meaning after 4.0. It just doesn't matter any more.

So, the Species Change and Barber Shop mentioned in the Dulfy interview from months ago are finally realities. That's a good sign! It means the devs are actually serious about their "Yeah, we'd like to do that" statements.

In that same interview, it was mentioned that Advanced Class changes were also on the table and likely to happen. I'm curious if the community team can update us on whether there's any time-table for when this will be implemented.

Ideally, I'd love it to be a switch you can unlock, then flip any time — finally allowing me to Tank & Heal with one character.

But in reality I'm sure it will cost like 6000 Cartel Coins to unlock it, then another 2000 Cartel Coins every time you switch (discounted 3.2% for subscribers, of course) with a 2 month cooldown. Oh well, what can you do? As a start, I'd be happy just to have the option in-game, in any form.

So! Does BioWare have any upcoming plans for this that can be shared with us? :)

~~~

Edit: While I am proud of how much you are feeding the Dark Side with your blind anger and hate, and vehement vows of impossibility, let me remind you of (source):

We got the Species part. That makes the AC part also have a lot of credibility.

So anyway, any ETA or news, community team? :)

I can care less about being able to change my AC. How about some new character classes? I've been playing this game for almost 5 years and there has not been a new character class along with the associated advanced classes.

Reality are people in finder ops and HM flashpoints who queue as tanks being a DPS, just to get the pop faster. Also those who queue for them underleveled and undergeared, "because bolster", and then fail epically because bolster doesn't increase secondary stats like Defense, Shield and Absorb rating.

AC swap would just be adding fuel to the fire of noobery and laziness.

Exactly. All of the ACs, outside of mara/jugg, are ABSOLUTELY different. Being a good sage will not make you good shadow. Being a ****** sage...

Stop the cancer killing grouping.

I've never really understood why the 'Noobs in group finder' gets used as an argument against allowing AC swap.

The biggest issue is the lack of any real challenge while levelling and more specifically the lack of any role specific training.

The vast majority of players unused to a typical MMO will coast through the levelling experience and then hit a bewildering transition from single player into end game. I would argue that many of the training wheels have been removed or never quite functioned as intended.

[Heroic 4] were a good idea to broaden group content while levelling but were usually more effort than they were worth to find a group for (scattered populations of players locked into their own solo story mode are reluctant to take the time out to group up for a random run at a H4). The same could be said for the old Flashpoints that were scattered through the levelling process. Even that limited exposure to role specific rotations is pretty much extinct now that [H4]s have been removed and most FPs have a tactical mode.

It would be nice to see the devs include some content for players to practice their role outside of fully fledged FPs and Operations. Something with a bit more integration than a training dummy in the cargo hold and the need to run 3rd party parsing apps.

Another area would just be some harder stand alone fights to pit yourself against. The original content of Rise of the Hutt Cartel had a couple of non-repeatable mini-boss fights in the Imperial playthrough (never saw any comparison in the Republic side) the Isotope-5 droid and the Archon. Both fights were non-role specific though and so some disciplines had a far easier time of it than others, but they started to give an insight to a solo player of proper FP/OPs boss fights. Unfortunately, they were one shot deals and have now been significantly nerfed.

One area that has been improved considerably is on the gear front. I've never understood the fascination MMOs have of presenting end game gear in such a bewildering array of statistics with diminishing returns. Any game mechanic that requires you to resort to a 3rd party product to start to understand it is a poor game mechanic. It may appeal to those theory crafters out there but not to the vast majority of players transitioning from single player content to group content.

So, AC swap would be in such high demand that it would make unskilled players an ever greater burden on end game content. Surely this argument was put to bed with the inclusion of paid for level 60s that can be levelled to max in a couple of hours. Not to mention the ability to switch roles, level as DPS then decide to enter end game as a Tank.

The best solution if you have a problem with the quality of players in the Group Finder queue is the same as it has always been. Invest a little time in networking. The easiest way, find a guild that shares your focus (I'm bewildered at why the devs removed their prelaunch guild site, it would have been an amazing app to have standing alongside the forums) If guilds aren't your thing, if you do a FP or OP with people that play well ask to put them on your friends list (this is great if you tend to play at unsocial hours and finding guilds with enough folk on is a challenge).

What you should stop doing is thinking that GF just exists to facilitate easy OPs runs for you. I suspect many that have a seeming allergy to Noobs in GF are DPS players that have playstyles that make them unsuitable for a guild environment.

Edited by Vhaegrant

I can care less about being able to change my AC. How about some new character classes? I've been playing this game for almost 5 years and there has not been a new character class along with the associated advanced classes.

New character classes similar to those we already have with 1-50 content are never going to happen.

New character classes that are available post Knights of the Fallen Empire (no 1-60 content) are a faint possibility, although still highly unlikely.

New Advanced Classes that recycle animations from other classes to broaden out the role coverage within a class and allow greater variety of weapon usage. Another faint possibility.

Post-KotFE, the unique Class stories have evaporated, boiled down into one Outlander story. And while the Devs promised our previous actions would make a difference I've now played through as a Sith Warrior, Bounty Hunter and Republic Trooper and not noticed anything of significance.

I'm also wondering at this point going forward why it's so important to have a faction divide. Auction houses are no longer segregated. Queues for warzones are no longer segregated. Ever since the Shadow of Revan the divide between Imperial and Republic has disappeared. Even companions that were exclusive to a faction barely blink an eye when they sign up to ally with the other side.

At this point I wonder if there is actually much argument against allowing for a faction swap post-KotFE content.

Edited by Vhaegrant

I've never really understood why the 'Noobs in group finder' gets used as an argument against allowing AC swap.

I never understood why it is so hard to have separate characters for different ACs. Leveling was never a challenge, nor should it be. Only those who are new to MMOs, or trolls, think otherwise.

Stop defending the noobness.

I never understood why it is so hard to have separate characters for different ACs. Leveling was never a challenge, nor should it be. Only those who are new to MMOs, or trolls, think otherwise.

Why should levelling not be a challenge? Or, at least have access to properly challenging content in solo play while levelling. This would actually help reduce the so called levels of 'noobishness' making it to end game content. They would either learn their role or leave.

The logical conclusion of your argument is that roles should be on separate characters, you know because levelling is so easy and everything and at least that way players would have no excuse for turning up at end game with the right gear and some knowledge of their abilities.

This will never happen because if you want to roll a new AC, you can buy a level 60 token and get the new AC. You can transfer all of your gear via Legacy. Then you can spend 1-2 hours getting the toon to level cap. Bam. You've re-rolled.

No reason for the developers to spend time implementing this change (that almost no one wants) when it effectively already exists in game and costs almost $20.

And while the Devs promised our previous actions would make a difference I've now played through as a Sith Warrior, Bounty Hunter and Republic Trooper and not noticed anything of significance.

Remind you of anything else? Perhaps something in Bioware's recent history?

Not to say that this is strictly a Bioware tradition or anything. It's a common ploy by game developers to sell big ideas, then fall short (or do a complete 180) on delivery.

Edited by Cavelis

This will never happen because if you want to roll a new AC, you can buy a level 60 token and get the new AC. You can transfer all of your gear via Legacy. Then you can spend 1-2 hours getting the toon to level cap. Bam. You've re-rolled.

No reason for the developers to spend time implementing this change (that almost no one wants) when it effectively already exists in game and costs almost $20.

But, it doesn't let you transfer pets, vehicles. And it doesn't negate any of the arguments against AC swap that also apply to fresh level 60.

I would also question the '(That almost no one wants)' forums have never been a great indicator of what most want, just what those with a vested interest want.

Does not compute. Solo play is about surviving the encounter while maximizing your DPS, as any class. It is more similar to tactical flashpoints than real group play.

I don't see why you have to have solo play as such a narrow aspect. While the linear structure means you have to have content that all disciplines can complete (and there are many recent threads about how easy KotFE has made the game) There is no reason why you can't have side quests that are tailored for (maybe restricted) to a specific role. A focus on mastering a healing rotation, or generating aggro, or various DPS races. I proposed a Wave attack mechanic. No, it doesn't mimic the environment of true group play where communication is the true barrier, but it does give a far better learning environment to come to grips with and master the abilities of a discipline.

It's just not going to happen, it's been 3 years since the opening post, I'm surprised this is still here...must of been a necro from hell.

It's been bubbling away ;) Every few months it gets resurrected for a bit of discussion. Don't expect any revalation or comment from the devs but it's nice to toss some ideas around. It's also a topic that surfaces on the 'Suggestions Board' with some frequency., and the majority of MMOs have at least one thread running on their forums about 'Can I change my class?' The biggest interest to me is one of player psychology, why do some place arbitrary mechanics above story considerations. Why do some resent how others play the game? Would there be any impact to balance allowing an AC swap?

Remind you of anything else? Perhaps something in Bioware's recent history?

Not to say that this is strictly a Bioware tradition or anything. It's a common ploy by game developers to sell big ideas, then fall short (or do a complete 180) on delivery.

While I enjoyed ME1, I found ME 2 a little too linear and didn't make the effort to pick up ME 3.

I know going into a game that has a strong narrative that the character can't have that much impact on the story. You have to hit the narrative beats. Extra Credits have done a few good episodes on the difficulties of giving a character agency and changing the course of the story.

So while I didn't expect any major gameplay changing differences, I was expecting a bit more in dialogue, or maybe it was just so subtle I missed it ;)

Edited by Vhaegrant

This still going on? OK, I'll get involved

If they ever bring out being able to change your AC, then they should get rid of Smugglers/Agents and Knights/Warriors since with the other 2 main classes you'll be able to play any of the "Holy Trinity". Bring a trooper and fill any slot needed on the raid with the click of a button.

Or, to bring Balance™ into the game, change the Sentinel/Marauder class to have a viable healing tree, and give the Gunslingers/Snipers a tanking tree. That way any class can fill any roll and everyone can stop crying about it.

If you want, we can go even further and make all healers have the same skills, all tanks the same cooldowns, and all DPS dual wield, since all you are really asking for is to make every class more and more similar.

Oh, and I can't wait for that first OP when there's no healer, and someone says "I can switch" with their 65 levels of DPS behind them and a vague notion that "some of those green skills must be heals, how hard can it be?"

Edited by CrazyCT

Why should levelling not be a challenge? Or, at least have access to properly challenging content in solo play while levelling. This would actually help reduce the so called levels of 'noobishness' making it to end game content. They would either learn their role or leave.

The logical conclusion of your argument is that roles should be on separate characters, you know because levelling is so easy and everything and at least that way players would have no excuse for turning up at end game with the right gear and some knowledge of their abilities.

Yes, because that's worked so well to date? Are you trying to say that all the threads about noobs in groups pre 4.0 are a myth? It's not like this thread doesn't predate 4.0 by what, a couple of years on the outside? What about all the complaints about the lvl 60 start characters? Aren't people still complaining about those even if they're rolled up by vets?

Roles are, and should be on separate characters. This isn't some new development, it's been around since I've been here, and I'll bet a lifetime sub that it was like that before I got here too. So what's your point? You want to play a class w/out playing the class? Seems to be the point from where I'm sitting. Get yourself a token, and roll a fresh 60, problem solved.

This still going on? OK, I'll get involved

Welcome, good to have you along :)

If they ever bring out being able to change your AC, then they should get rid of Smugglers/Agents and Knights/Warriors since with the other 2 main classes you'll be able to play any of the "Holy Trinity". Bring a trooper and fill any slot needed on the raid with the click of a button.

Or, to bring Balance™ into the game, change the Sentinel/Marauder class to have a viable healing tree, and give the Gunslingers/Snipers a tanking tree. That way any class can fill any roll and everyone can stop crying about it.

I don't think they should get rid of anything. I do think it highlights an error in original design where the story was firmly linked to game mechanics. 'Hey I love tanking but want to play the Imperial Agent story', tough!

I have suggested this would be an ideal time to introduce more Advanced Classes to the existing structure and use these ACs to open up some of the current limitations. I would really like by Mandalorian inspired Bounty Hunter to wield a melee weapon, you know like the other two Mando companions. Or maybe a Jedi Consular that has fallen to the darkside and uses force lightning attacks. All of the animations are there, it would just take a little bit of time to decide on what the AC should reflect and finalise balancing.

If you want, we can go even further and make all healers have the same skills, all tanks the same cooldowns, and all DPS dual wield, since all you are really asking for is to make every class more and more similar.

Don't they?

There's already a lot of overlap between classes. I know I have very similar abilities for my characters to break out of stun or interrupt. Some of the Advanced Classes share more core Class abilities than others, Bounty Hunters (Troopers) all share the same defensive and recharge abilities but Sith Warrior (Jedi Knights) ACs vary theirs (a Juggs defensive abilities and recharge are different to the marauders).

If we are talking about a radical rebuild of Class/Advanced Class/Discipline I'd much rather see the freeing up of weapon type (darkside/lightside determines whether you get pebbles or lightning as a force user), Advanced Class being the point at which you choose your Role (Tank, Heal, meleeDPS, rangedDPS) with Discipline being a focus on whether you are focused on balance, burst damage (heal/aggro), damage(heal/aggro) over time, area of effect.

Oh, and I can't wait for that first OP when there's no healer, and someone says "I can switch" with their 65 levels of DPS behind them and a vague notion that "some of those green skills must be heals, how hard can it be?"

But you realise that can already happen? There is no current restriction to prevent a player that has levelled (with the free 60 they may not even have levelled more than 5 levels) as a DPS to switch to a healer. You even have the case where you can change from DPS to Tank (and tanks require a complete regear to be effective unlike the dps->heal)

The only restriction that is inplace is that you cannot have a healer to tank swap (or vice versa).

There are probably very sound game balance reasons for why you do not want a Healer to have access to tanking stance, or a Tank to have access to self heals. But allowing AC swap does not allow this. You can be a healer OR a tank, you do not gain access to those AC only abilities.

Yes, because that's worked so well to date? Are you trying to say that all the threads about noobs in groups pre 4.0 are a myth? It's not like this thread doesn't predate 4.0 by what, a couple of years on the outside? What about all the complaints about the lvl 60 start characters? Aren't people still complaining about those even if they're rolled up by vets?

Roles are, and should be on separate characters. This isn't some new development, it's been around since I've been here, and I'll bet a lifetime sub that it was like that before I got here too. So what's your point? You want to play a class w/out playing the class? Seems to be the point from where I'm sitting. Get yourself a token, and roll a fresh 60, problem solved.

Emphasis mine.

Roles are, and should be on separate characters. but they aren't are they.

Aside from the Marauder (Sentinel) and Sniper (Gunslinger) all of the other Advanced Classes have access to two of the roles.

The only two exclusive role combinations are heal and tank.

This is most likely for PvP balance considerations.

An AC swap doesn't invalidate this restriction. Going from Powertech to Mercenary doesn't allow you to access the powertech only tank abilities you only have access to the Mercenary abilities and disciplines.

So, why is it okay for a DPS to blithely switch to and fro with healing (or tanking). But, a tank should never be able to switch to heal?

The argument about noobs has more to do with how easy the game is pre-end game content (and no real content that allows you to test your rotations/gear other than jumping into group content) than an argument against allowing role switching.

Edited by Vhaegrant

Emphasis mine.

Roles are, and should be on separate characters. but they aren't are they.

Aside from the Marauder (Sentinel) and Sniper (Gunslinger) all of the other Advanced Classes have access to two of the roles.

The only two exclusive role combinations are heal and tank.

This is most likely for PvP balance considerations.

An AC swap doesn't invalidate this restriction. Going from Powertech to Mercenary doesn't allow you to access the powertech only tank abilities you only have access to the Mercenary abilities and disciplines.

So, why is it okay for a DPS to blithely switch to and fro with healing (or tanking). But, a tank should never be able to switch to heal?

The argument about noobs has more to do with how easy the game is pre-end game content (and no real content that allows you to test your rotations/gear other than jumping into group content) than an argument against allowing role switching.

Because it's a feature of their base class? I can swap my Jugg from tank to dps, because it's a feature of Jugg/guardian that they have a dps spec and a tank spec, just as my sorc has healer and dps spec. This isn't a fault of game design, this is a fault of players all wanting to be dps. Something that's not unique here, and exists in games that both predate this by 10 years and, even better, don't offer a healing class a dps spec. But you'll have healers in that game claiming to be a dps, with their one skill they can actually use to dps. The choice is made both when you pick your base class and your advanced class: Are you going to be a dps that can heal, a tank that can dps, or a dps. You then build on that with your advanced class. There's no reason for a swap later, leveling isn't and has never been, as long as I've been here, all that hard, and now you can even roll up at 60, which means that there's less than no reason for swapping.

Because it's a feature of their base class? I can swap my Jugg from tank to dps, because it's a feature of Jugg/guardian that they have a dps spec and a tank spec, just as my sorc has healer and dps spec. This isn't a fault of game design, this is a fault of players all wanting to be dps. Something that's not unique here, and exists in games that both predate this by 10 years and, even better, don't offer a healing class a dps spec. But you'll have healers in that game claiming to be a dps, with their one skill they can actually use to dps. The choice is made both when you pick your base class and your advanced class: Are you going to be a dps that can heal, a tank that can dps, or a dps. You then build on that with your advanced class.

You mean players shouldn't have options available to them?

If there are certain mechanics in place to balance Tank/Heal/DPS that's one thing (and probably the origin of the two step Class -> Adavanced Class -> Discipline). But allowing AC swapping does not fundamentally change these balances.

There's no reason for a swap later, leveling isn't and has never been, as long as I've been here, all that hard, and now you can even roll up at 60, which means that there's less than no reason for swapping.

If it's so easy to get a character to max level why would you be upset about whether another player chooses to bypass that stage? Is it more a bah-humbug argument that you did it a certain way, so should every one else?

It's been bubbling away ;) Every few months it gets resurrected for a bit of discussion. Don't expect any revalation or comment from the devs but it's nice to toss some ideas around. It's also a topic that surfaces on the 'Suggestions Board' with some frequency., and the majority of MMOs have at least one thread running on their forums about 'Can I change my class?' The biggest interest to me is one of player psychology, why do some place arbitrary mechanics above story considerations. Why do some resent how others play the game? Would there be any impact to balance allowing an AC swap?

It seems to be the same person who keeps necro'ing this thread--a person who CLAIMS that they do not need to have the ability to change CLASS (AC), yet continues to necro a three year old thread.

The same person dismisses the statements made by the devs, in which those devs state:

AC's are FUNDAMENTALLY DIFFERENT CLASS DESIGNS

That AC's were treated as FULL CLASSES within themselves

This person claims those statements no longer apply, as they were made years ago and made by people no longer associated with this game, yet he clings to a VERY AMBIGUOUS statement made over three years ago by a person that is, to the best of my knowledge, no longer associated with this game stating the AC changes would "likely happen eventually". Why the edev statements that would put the lie to this poster's claims that your AC is not your class are to be dismissed, yet the years old statement to which he clings is to be treated as gospel, one can only conjecture. It does not seem to me to be difficult to see the self serving drive behind this, though.

This statement also mentioned a PURELY COSMETIC change would also likely happen, and we have seen that implemented, however the option to change CLASS (AC-as previously mentioned treated as a full class by the devs) has not.

Could this be due to the fact that changing your class (AC-treated as a full class by the devs) is a far cry from cosmetic changing of your race? Cold this be because the devs do not intend to allow class (AC-treated as a full class by the devs) changes, yet do not want to alienate those members of the "have to have it NOW and for as little effort and cost as possible" crowd that demand to be able to change their class (AC-treated as a full class by the devs) by saying that they have no intention at this time to allow class (AC-treated as a full class by the devs) changes?

Let's not forget that the devs have stated that they did not want any single character to be able to dill all three roles AT ANY TIME, not just at the same time. Allowing class changes would negate design intent.

If a player wants to tank and DPS, they can do so. If that player wants to heal and DPS, they can do so. They can even do all three, just NOT with the same character. this is by DESIGN and INTENT, as indicated by the devs.

Edited by Ratajack

There are different classes and advanced classes for a reason. If you want to do a different variety of the class, roll another character. ;)

Oh I have. I've got all the AC's covered, and have now branched out into those disciplines that I can't be bothered respeccing to. But just because I chose to do that doesn't make me begrudge others that may want just one of each class.

Note, at this point I am only advocating for an AC swap not a faction or class swap.

It's interesting that many against AC swapping seem to be resolutely in the end-game camp. They worry about the other players ability to know their role, rotation and fit into a PUG. A hardcore mindset that doesn't really mesh well with the direction the game is going.

Cartel market that sells lucky dip bags for vanity sets of armour, mounts, pets and emotes. That's more the casuals than hardcore OPs.

Strongholds that you can decorate. Again a nod to content for roleplayers and a base of operation... the mechanic tie in to conquest buff just mean the hardcore buy the stronghold and fill it with junk.

And yet after all this time if I want my Bounty Hunter to put down their shield generator and pick up an offhand blaster they can't. Don't get me started on the fact that weapon restrictions seem to be in there because of PvP considerations :(

With the launch of KotFE it seems obvious that gameplay difficulty if being toned down for the single player as well. I suspect the wider audience for a Star Wars game (even one set in the Old Republic era) is a casual one and would like more options in their game that allow them to avoid the mind numbing tedium and grind that has plagued MMO design philosophy.

AC swap is just about more options. It has no effect on balance at all.

It isn't hard to have separate characters (very arguable with KotFE chapter 9 and 250k influence caps but nevermind that for now) but that's not a reason someone shouldn't be able to change specs., that's just you saying you're happy with your choices. What about those that aren't? You do understand that everyone else isn't you, right? In Wow my druid could switch from a healer to a tank to a stealth melee to a ranged dps - all with different stats, energy mechanics, gear, almost 0 overlapping abilities and different specs - much more dramatic changes than any ac change in this game would be - and that game only got more subs/successful after adding the respec options. Rift, AC1, ESO, EQ2, CoX, and probably most other MMOs all have/had far more endgame character changing flexibility than this one does. Especially now that we're being encouraged to focus on developing fewer characters while investing more time in the ones we focus on, I see no reason , and no precedent in other games, for not giving us a greater range of things to play around with on our main characters. "Beause we can roll an alt in less than 100 hours" isn't a reason.

It isn't hard to have separate characters (very arguable with KotFE chapter 9 and 250k influence caps but nevermind that for now) but that's not a reason someone shouldn't be able to change specs., that's just you saying you're happy with your choices. What about those that aren't? You do understand that everyone else isn't you, right? In Wow my druid could switch from a healer to a tank to a stealth melee to a ranged dps - all with different stats, energy mechanics, gear, almost 0 overlapping abilities and different specs - much more dramatic changes than any ac change in this game would be - and that game only got more subs/successful after adding the respec options. Rift, AC1, ESO, EQ2, CoX, and probably most other MMOs all have/had far more endgame character changing flexibility than this one does. Especially now that we're being encouraged to focus on developing fewer characters while investing more time in the ones we focus on, I see no reason , and no precedent in other games, for not giving us a greater range of things to play around with on our main characters. "Beause we can roll an alt in less than 100 hours" isn't a reason.

You can change your spec (discipline). You cannot change your CLASS ((AC-treated as a full class by the devs).

There is a difference, despite your claims to the contrary.