The weird people you meet in Group Finder.

I queued for a random HM with a friend of mine and ran through Athiss without any trouble. Asked if anyone wanted to do another, so three of us queued for Lost Island. My friend (a very skilled Tele sage in full 220 set bonus), a decently geared Commando Healer, and my on my Guardian tank in 216/220 with full 216 set bonus. We picked up a Commando dps (all lvl 65's) with 81k hp. Off we go.

Now, I absolutely love tanking Lost Island and run it whenever I can. It's probably not a good idea to PUG it, but with three known toons, I thought we had a reasonable chance. We made it through the first boss without any trouble. It was a little tight on the enrage, but everything seemed in order. We wiped a couple of times on Sav-Rak while learning the mechanics, but that's not unusual. Then we started hitting up against Sav-Rak's enrage and couldn't seem to get past it. My friend commented on the dps commando's armor. It was full 220 tanking gear, really nice stuff - probably better than mine. My friend said "what the Heck, I've got some cash" and zipped off to her stronghold to buy dps mods and enhancements from the GTN for the commando. Meanwhile I passed out purple crafted versatile stims to the two commandos (that I carry on my tank for PUGs like this). My friend returned and gave the Commando a pile of 200 and 208 mods and enhancements and we waited for something to happen. Nothing does. We check out the Commando dps's armor again and see that it's non-moddable 220 crafted stuff. It must have cost her a fortune.

My friend and I both felt really bad about putting the commando in that position, it had certainly not been our intention to make her feel embarrassed or uncomfortable, but she didn't seem to know what she was supposed to be doing with the mods and enhancements. She said "You're telling me that my armor is no good." My friend responded by saying "No! Your armor is beautiful - for a tank." Anyway, the group disbanded shortly afterwards. The commando healer with extra stims, the commando dps with a pile of free mods, and myself with the realization that I should inspect the gear of Commando dps toons who zone in with 81 k health.

Incredible. Then again very generous of you friend but to dish out all that coin - and effort - only to see the group disband... I've sometimes bought (back in the day) cheapo Microfilament gear to friendly people in pugs but second-best rating on the gtn? :eek:

I was in a PUG KP HM op a couple of weeks ago. The tank assigned to the puzzle boss. I was one of the DPS, a healer, and another newb DPS. Tank and healer fully explain puzzle and say practice. Noob DPS just can't get it. Even when told press now, did nothing. Tank came up and showed how it was done with three pushing buttons, told DPS to watch the pattern. Tank goes back down. Practice again, DPS fails miserably again randomly pushing button or not pushing at all. Tank and healer AGAIN very patiently explain. Fail again. DPS stops talking in chat, by now almost a half hour has gone by. Showed him again.

Tank: Get it now?

Noob DPS: "no, this is just too hard I can't possibly do it. I just don't get it."

A half hour....seriously it's not THAT HARD.

You can guess what happened next: rage quits.

It seems nowadays people jump into HM ops without a clue. When told to read Dulfy, usually the response is "what's Dulfy?"

Not necessarily a bad FP per se (although I've had quite a few bad ones myself), but I did want to point out something that has been glaringly annoying as of late in regards to stealth classes.

One of the first toons I created in this game was an operative. Specifically, I have played concealment for as long as I can remember. (Side note: nothing against Lethality, I just prefer the style of concealment better!) :) That said, one thing I have always prided myself on is being a damn good stealth player. This includes, but is not limited to, getting CC's out (in stealth) before a pull, using my stealthy abilities to quickly down objectives in group settings that can be stealth'd, and even getting stealth-rezz's of during boss fights. That said, while I don't play my beloved concealment op as much as I would like to these days, I do Tank quite a bit. Something I have noticed lately when doing FP's for Conquest is the lack of skill that many of those playing stealth classes display.

For instance, just the other day I ran rando-HM FP for CQ. It ended up being HM Assault on Tython. Now personally, whenever I have ran this in either Tactical OR Hard Mode on my concealment operative (and even on my Sin tank) in the past, I have always made it a point to stealth-cap the first 2 nodes leading up to the first boss. It is not very hard to do (literally requires you CC'ing one add and chilling behind the node while channeling), and makes for a much faster/smoother run as a whole. Also, after the first boss, I have always made it a point to CC the add at the end of the bridge leading up to the second area nodes. This allows the group to bypass all of those pesky adds on the bridge and, again, makes for a much smoother/faster run overall. That said, I have ran this FP (whether on purpose or via GF queue) multiple times since 4.0 on my tanks/healing toons and have yet to see a single stealth class take the initiative and actually use their class to its fullest potential. From what I've seen, most stealth class players barely even use stealth, which begs the question, why did you choose that class in the first place!?

The only reason I bring this up is because I did get the chance to play my concealment operative a bit this week, and ran through a few TFP's. It astounded me that the other stealth class players, in particular operatives since I hold them so dear to my heart, failed to barely even stealth between mobs, let alone take the initiative and help the group progress faster through the FP, thus making everyone's lives easier. I know that some people will say "oh, what about bonus, or what if lower level toons need the exp from killing mobs?" That's cool. I'm down for helping you level m8. Just let me know beforehand. But still, use the damn class to the potential available to it. Don't derp around and walk into groups un-stealth'd, expecting healers/tanks to save your ***. It's your own damn fault if you get seen by a mob, and the blame lies specifically on you when you die in those cases, as you have the ability to LITERALLY NOT BE SEEN!!!

Not necessarily a bad FP per se (although I've had quite a few bad ones myself), but I did want to point out something that has been glaringly annoying as of late in regards to stealth classes. [...]

on the other hand, when you do all the things you mention, your groupmates will break cc, disrupt your careful stealthing through objectives and ruin all your nifty stealth tricks. Being a good stealther can be a huge exercise in frustration ;)

Edited by nyrkverse
typo

on the other hand, when you do all the things you mention, your groupmates will break cc, disrupt your careful stealthing through objectives and ruin all your nifty stealth tricks. Being a good stealther can be a huge exercise in frustration ;)

^This. Sapped targets are like magnets for maras - you can be sure it will be the first targeted.

I would be hard pressed to disagree! That said, there is still a lot you can do to provide unique contributions to any group you run with as a stealth-class player. Seriously...the amount of bad that I have witnessed in "fellow" stealth-class players over last couple of months makes me want to pull my hair out sometimes...

^This. Sapped targets are like magnets for maras - you can be sure it will be the first targeted.

Is that TFP stuff?

For regular HM runs, I end up tanking half of the trash pack which hits healer... Tanks gitgud please :D

I've come to the belief that "cc" is a Latin abbreviation for "attack this first".

in coeptus conlide

[Hacked together with a latin dictionary and my rusty latin grammar. Conlido = crush/batter. Coeptus = beginning [4th decl]. Conlide is the imperative form. Not the best, but it sort of works.]

Edited by cxten

It wasn't group finder, but we had I think 4 or 5 wipes in Eternal Chamber HM yesterday.

Which leads me to the question : Is there a graphics bug now that the pillars, which are supposed to fall upon Soa, cannot be seen / are not displayed ?

Because we wiped I think at least 3 times because we just couldn't see those rotating pillars. The only thing we saw was their crashing down on the ground, and in one case a reddish, glowing ball-like thing, I think that's supposed to be that "energy ball" of the rotating pillar ?

Only in the very last fight we saw the pillars correctly, and thus could defeat Soa properly.

And, besides, it was my personally very first Soa who was actually lying down when defeated ... In every other EC I had EVER played, Soa was still standing upright, like a statue, when defeated.

Well, anyway, it was very frustrating, And it was frustrating for me partly because they had been using shortcuts I had never seen or used before. Partly they even forgot me there. It was basically a guild run (more or less) with I think 2 DPS filling it up (me and another one). Naturally, all the stuff went to the guild mates ( loot master was active ) and I was glad I got at least one 212 (?) ear piece and a deco.

I'll never join a guild run anymore - at least not with guilds I don't know.

Edited by AlrikFassbauer

Is that TFP stuff?

For regular HM runs, I end up tanking half of the trash pack which hits healer... Tanks gitgud please :D

What tanks? :D

Last one I met in HM FP (thanks gf for Lost Island) was lvl64 jug in DPS gear, who got globalled on one of the first trash pulls, called me bad and ragequitted. No worries, rank 10 mako is here to help! She would make for a pretty ****** tank if I remembered to order her out of circles, but it was still much better, both on trash and first boss :rolleyes: Then my stupidity made me to queue for replacement and we got... a sorc. Because veng jug in group was queing as tank (though I doubt he ever heard of the concept even as all his actions were following me and spamming 2 or 3 abilities).

In other words, does it count as ragequit when 3 players start exiting instance at the same time? :D

It wasn't group finder, but we had I think 4 or 5 wipes in Eternal Chamber HM yesterday.

Which leads me to the question : Is there a graphics bug now that the pillars, which are supposed to fall upon Soa, cannot be seen / are not displayed ?

Because we wiped I think at least 3 times because we just couldn't see those rotating pillars. The only thing we saw was their crashing down on the ground, and in one case a reddish, glowing ball-like thing, I think that's supposed to be that "energy ball" of the rotating pillar ?

Only in the very last fight we saw the pillars correctly, and thus could defeat Soa properly.

And, besides, it was my personally very first Soa who was actually lying down when defeated ... In every other EC I had EVER played, Soa was still standing upright, like a statue, when defeated.

Well, anyway, it was very frustrating, And it was frustrating for me partly because they had been using shortcuts I had never seen or used before. Partly they even forgot me there. It was basically a guild run (more or less) with I think 2 DPS filling it up (me and another one). Naturally, all the stuff went to the guild mates ( loot master was active ) and I was glad I got at least one 212 (?) ear piece and a deco.

I'll never join a guild run anymore - at least not with guilds I don't know.

Do you mean Eternity Vault? I've heard shadows settings affects it.

Do you mean Eternity Vault? I've heard shadows settings affects it.

Interesting, thanks.

Yes, it's Eternity Vault, because I play SWTOR in Germnan language, it is called "Ewige Kammer", and "Kammer" is normally translated as "Chamber", which is why I made EC as my personal abbreviation of Eternal Chamber. :D

5 minutes ago, I queue up for a HMFP on my tank. End up in a group with three others from same guild.

Czerka Core Meltdown. Start pulling trash, it's the packs of 4 humanoid droids and the large elite in the middle. First pack, Mara jumps on the elite.

I deal, 2nd pull same thing happens. I mention that in general, dps should kill weak -> strong.

Repsonse: "Group them up we'll kill them all at the same time"

Me: "They're ranged mobs"

Response: "I do it all the time"

Me: "You group up ranged mobs that don't move?"

Response: "LoS"

I quit the group, told them to go find a good tank.

5 minutes ago, I queue up for a HMFP on my tank. End up in a group with three others from same guild.

Czerka Core Meltdown. Start pulling trash, it's the packs of 4 humanoid droids and the large elite in the middle. First pack, Mara jumps on the elite.

I deal, 2nd pull same thing happens. I mention that in general, dps should kill weak -> strong.

Repsonse: "Group them up we'll kill them all at the same time"

Me: "They're ranged mobs"

Response: "I do it all the time"

Me: "You group up ranged mobs that don't move?"

Response: "LoS"

I quit the group, told them to go find a good tank.

Personally i hate los pulls passionately. They put a lot of unneeded pressure on both tank and healer just because some dps are not willing to cc and follow proper kill order.

Well, there seem to exist 2 culturees about a "proper kill order" :

- first the strong, then the weak ...

- first the weak, then the strong ...

Well, for n enemies there exist n! number of kill orders :D

Seriously, when playing dotspec i mostly prefer to open on strong/elite mob so that i'm sure to dotspread on the weak ones but dots shouldn't really pull the agro off the tank so i guess it was a carnage mara.

Well, there seem to exist 2 culturees about a "proper kill order" :

Correct. There is the right way and the wrong way. Not sure if you meant it that way....

I do not begrudge someone for not knowing or understanding. Nor I do not care if they continue to do whatever they want. I assume most people literally do not understand why killing weak -> strong is more efficient. That's fine.

As a tank, I can handle dps doing it wrong because I will keep the healer alive and solo the trash if it comes to that, even though it probably won't. And as DPS, I can cover enough for the other DPS by peeling threat off the healer if i need to.

And I'm not trying to be anal about it, I get that it normally doesn't even matter, but it's a bit annoying to have to work a bit harder to make sure the healer isn't getting wrecked because I have to focus harder on the gold than I ought to.

I get it re: dot spread etc - but you know what I'm talking about. In nearly every FP the DPS immediately tunnel the gold because they want to, not for any particular tactical rationale.

All I said was "Hey, in general, it's better to kill the weaker mobs first". And I got backsass. So.... Later.

I sat in a pug the other night and racked up 155k repair costs and they never even got the last boss down. They were clearly new and they were struggling. I don't mind playing with people who don't know what they are doing if they want to at least try.

But get mouthy when I throw out an offhand piece of advice? Enjoy your queue.

The problem I see now is that most people can't be bothered with CC.

I always get asked, what's cc?

Which goes to show you don't know your class, especially in HM.

Unless you are confident in burning down mobs within 1 or 2 aoes, kill weakest to strongest.

Its not hard to understand how less mobs, mean less dmg overall, regardless of how many there are or their mob type.

Tank(s) will always focus on the strongest, DPS focus on the weakest.

Edited by Roxas_kun

Correct. There is the right way and the wrong way. Not sure if you meant it that way....

I didn't say "right" or "wrong", because on each side, people do insist that THEIR way to do it is the right one,

and that the OTHER side is the wrong one.

It's almost like with parties in politics now.