The weird people you meet in Group Finder.

A dps has to tank unit 2 otherwise healers gonna have a bad time.

Nah, can just have one tank stay on unit 2, and then use taunts and ranged high threat abilities (rail shot, Force pull, saber reflect) one unit one. That will basically keep them right on the tank the entire fight.

Edited by VerpineVSN

The answer is "yes" when it is a PUG.

You want to do it with 3 DPS and a Healer, or 2 DPS and Healer, or just as 2 players, go ahead do it with your guild or friends.

Don't join the queue as a Tank/Healer when you are a DPS and expect the rest of the group to accept you just "because".

I used to queue as a tank a lot before bioware nerfed the HM FP to the ground. Thanks to them, tanks are now useless and it's boring to tank them.

So I switched to healer and healing a 1T/2Dps is boring as hell. I spend more time dpsing than healing. The only time I have something to heal is during a 3Dps run. That's what happens when you nerfed HM FP so much that they are not HM FP anymore. It feels like I'm doing leveling SM FP.

Nah, can just have one tank stay on unit 2, and then use taunts and ranged high threat abilities (rail shot, Force pull, saber reflect) one unit one. That will basically keep them right on the tank the entire fight.

A bit a pain in the *** but doable. I shall try it next time :D.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Back to GF stories.

I queue with my sage as dps/healer, get a pop for HM Tython as a dps with a VG tank, a sent and a sawbones. I know the tank, even he is not the greatest tank, he knows the drill. We pull the first boss. I notice that the sawbones is dpsing (not a problem, I do the same), taking cover (odd but okayish) then the tank goes down pretty quickly. The sawbones and the sent die in the aoes.

The tank says he received no heals and I ask if the healer actually knows healing. He answers he is quite good. Also, he really is a healer because I saw him cast a kolto wave. So we pull a second time. I watch the healer and he is not healing. He keeps dpsing and same thing happens again. So I initiate a vote kick and he gets kicked immediately. I've never seen someone getting kicked so quickly. So I respecc to seer, we get a dps replacement and finish the FP smoothly.

I used to queue as a tank a lot before bioware nerfed the HM FP to the ground. Thanks to them, tanks are now useless and it's boring to tank them.

So I switched to healer and healing a 1T/2Dps is boring as hell. I spend more time dpsing than healing. The only time I have something to heal is during a 3Dps run. That's what happens when you nerfed HM FP so much that they are not HM FP anymore. It feels like I'm doing leveling SM FP.

I'm so happy for you that you find a full hm fp group with a tank boring. It still doesn't change the fact that when you join a random group, you should play the role you are queued for. Do what you want with your premade group. Don't force 3 random people to play your way just because you want to feel elite.

Personally, I get my kicks by healing for groups where one or two people are still learning. They're doing an okay job, and they're trying to improve, so I don't feel bad about carrying them a little, but they're still straining my heals by being not so great.

2 of them yesterday, in the same FP. Story mode Cademimu on my gunslinger on TRE, who at the time is level 27 and still doesn't have the energy regen on DoT ticks, meaning Dirty Fighting is still a chore to play.

Zone in slightly after the rest as I was in the middle of a story conversation and do a quick audit of the team. Sage has already made excuses for crap healing and I take this as an admission they're not Seer spec :rolleyes: I check the shadow, recognise the guild name as being semi-decent and note the correct stance for infiltration spec.

Then I check the tank.

Oh dear.

Cunning medium armour chestpiece. Willpower dps earpiece. Green medium strength gloves, greens everywhere else, admittedly with aim. A shield, but plasma cell. Not once during the half-run did he switch despite being badgered into doing so, and he died a LOT because he was shielding 5% of attacks. He was actually in shield spec, the stacking absorb proc was building on his bar, but it was painful to see just how slowly they built up.

In the bar, he ignored the 6 guys that drop in from above and pulled the group of 2 strongs, 2 normals, 1 champ at the door and as a result only myself and the sage survived. On the pack by the shortcut he dropped almost instantly, again leaving us to pile enemy corpses up on his broken body. By the time we reached the first boss he'd died 3 times and although those were to be his last deaths in combat, they were not his last deaths of the run.

We pull the first boss, I open up knowing that he's still in plasma cell so I'm going to have aggro soon enough anyway. Shrap, vital shot, first wounding shots rips the boss. He taunts back and by this time the shadow has been frozen by the droid and it's coming for me. I run around the energy trap, droid is locked down and I finish the boss off while on a sliver of health because the fake healer is DPS'ing instead of shielding/healing etc.

At this point the only part of the run to go right happens. 3 non-troopers greed the heavy chestpiece, vanguard rolls need. So far so normal.

Vantard then keeps the medium cunning chestpiece on.

At this point I'm praying we can survive the rest of the FP with minimal derp, but that prayer was quickly submitted to the MMO gods, looked at briefly, sneered at and chucked on the discard pile. We take the taxi.

As I land I see the sage arrive, just ahead of the tank. The tank lands and promptly autoruns straight off the edge of the platform to his death. I make the comment "wrong gear, wrong cell, wrong way", eliciting a laugh from the fake healer. We wait for the tank to come back, who lands, runs straight off the edge AGAIN and instantly drops group. Give the shadow credit, they queued us back up with minimal delay and I pull out Bowdaar who'd just been upgraded when I finished Nar Shaddaa.

We get as far as the next boss when the fake healer starts pleading with me to get rid of Bowdaar so the shadow can pull Theran out. I consider trying to convince him/her that a tank companion with a player healing them is more sensible than 3 dps with an undergeared companion healiing, and the shadow appears to be of the same mind as the sage (who would've had a Theran of their own) has to convince them to get him out. We drop the wookiee boss quickly, a cunning piece drops and the sage promptly rolls need on it, winning it.

I ask them, somewhat acerbically I will admit, why they'd rolled need on it. Sage claims they thought they could equip it. I tell them what I think of people who queue for a role they're not prepared to play and take drops from players who could use them, and drop group.

God I feel sorry for that shadow.

Personally, I get my kicks by healing for groups where one or two people are still learning. They're doing an okay job, and they're trying to improve, so I don't feel bad about carrying them a little, but they're still straining my heals by being not so great.

Yeah, those are good. I had 1 yesterday with HM rishi. I was merc healing with jugg tank, jugg dps and sorc dps. Zone in and go to the tank and jugg dps that were ahead because my loading screen took a long time. Get there and see the tank has guard on dps, so I assume they know what they are doing. Once we get to the first boss the tank switches guard to me. I assumed that he may be confident keeping aggro off the jugg and wanted to protect me from aoe with 5% damage reduction. Well w/e, no point complaining if nothing has gone wrong.

I spend most of my time healing the jugg dps, which I preferred because the jugg dps actually used DCD's whereas the tank didn't. The jugg dps then starts pulling, but healing him isn't a problem and the tank does make an effort to grab aggro back off a pulling dps in the same manner I do when dps pull (aggro rotation but refuse to aoe taunt, I'm not a babysitter).

Get to second boss and again I split my heals between both jugg as one is tanking jedi and dps is facetanking sith. Also for the first time in the mission need to heal the sorc because they don't move out of aoe.

Get to last boss and the jugg dps rips aggro a number of times, and refuses to go for adds. **** hits the fan at one point and, due to my bad positioning I get surrounded by those orbital strike things and knocked down, by the time I am stood up tank is dead, so I c-res and we finish.

Much more interesting than healing a decent tank (though I must admit, I do still prefer working with good tanks).

Hello. My n'ame is [redacted]. Allow me to self-identify.

So, I am 0/3 in Battle of Ilums this week. This story is about the third. We are a party of 3 as one DPS dropped upon arrival to the FP start.

I am on the other DPS. All seems to be 'ok,' but the healer is just .... well, he is trying to avoid a mob by navigating unnavigable terrain. While in stealth. While the mob is already CC'd. Whilst the tank is dying at a pack of mobs ahead of us.

I am to blame here in part. I could have run ahead to offheal the tank but I was so entranced by watching the healer.

Well, I decided that it is late and I don't want to spend my last free time in BOI. As I get ready to tell the tank, 'sorry,' I type into *party* chat instead of *guild* chat ... 'I am in this FP with the dumbest person.'

Which, now, is a title and crown worn squarely by me! D'oh!

I get played out frequently on Group Finder. How? Below is such an instance:

FLASHPOINT - Kuat Drive Yards

LEGACY ACHIEVEMENT - Leave No One Behind

OBJECTIVE - A single player to set free all 10 prisoners after killing enemies in East and West detention blocks.

ISSUE - Encountered a couple of folks who agreed to allow me to set free the 10 prisoners and then they go clicking on the console outside each cell.

REACTION - Rage.

RESPONSE - Quit game in the midst of process to chill out. Re-login and play on other faction.

LESSON LEARNT - Never take another player's word for it.

Edited by Psylonicus

I get played out frequently on Group Finder. How? Below is such an instance:

FLASHPOINT - Kuat Drive Yards

LEGACY ACHIEVEMENT - Leave No One Behind

OBJECTIVE - A single player to set free all 10 prisoners after killing enemies in East and West detention blocks.

ISSUE - Encountered a couple of folks who agreed to allow me to set free the 10 prisoners and then they go clicking on the console outside each cell.

REACTION - Rage.

RESPONSE - Quit game in the midst of process to chill out. Re-login and play on other faction.

LESSON LEARNT - Never take another player's word for it.

Easiest way to do that is grab a toon, gear a healer comp and walk into the entrance (I think you have to be 55+). No risk of someone stealing your achievement when you are the only one there :). Bear in mind, if I remember right, all 10 have to be alive, so you ought to empty both rooms before opening any cells.

Edited by BobFredJohn

HEY! Jedi need to be cunning and strong too! I am surprised he didn't have aim for that pebble throwing accuracy :D

You know what is the worst part about 4.0? You won't be able to tell how absolutely bad someone is because there is only one mainstat :rak_01:

You know what is the worst part about 4.0? You won't be able to tell how absolutely bad someone is because there is only one mainstat :rak_01:

The circle test will still exist I assume - and the bads will still stand in them and die. :p

Edited by DawnAskham

The circle test will still exist I assume ...

I love it. Its like legal presumptions. 'When in a PUG, one should presume that your fellows are bads. The presumption may be disproven if the teammate successfully: 1) recognises there is a cicle at their feet; and 2) by movement out of the circle, or proper use of defensive cooldowns, is able to mitigate the impact of the circle.'

Edited by thewitchdoctor

Not so much weird people in Group Finder, but Group Finder weirdness...

Queue up for a tactical on my level 60 characters, get Czerka with 192+ geared level 60s.

Queue up for a tactical on my sub 60 characters, get Blood Hunt with several of the players at just over 20K HP and no clue where to go or how to play their character (gets interesting on the Mando couple fight).

Queue up for a HM, get Rishi over and over and over with bad healers that don't use half of their abilities, and at least one dps with really crap gear, as in 32K sentinels with green sabers from Makeb.

At least you can't queue for HM/NiM ops. My gosh that would be a true nightmare. In NiM 55 ops, I feel like the only one actually following the mechanics. I tried HM SnV the other day, and it is NOT forgiving. It was a really good group, but the Xuvva's just kept wiping us, but the group was really experienced. Like I said, I'm glad you can't queue for HM/NiM 55 ops, because imagine the carnage if you could, I couldn't even pass Nef'ra Who Bars The Way on HM in Dread Fortress, and I don't think you should wipe on that boss 4 times in a row. but now OPERATOR IX/Master Control, I can understand the wipes there, but people need to focus on the mechanics instead of DPSing. I mean, a tank should be doing his job in Soresu Form (if a guardian/juggernaut) and not in Shii-Cho and in tank spec, A healer should be healing the group, not themselves because the tanks are to happy DPSing to give a dang about the Healers drawing all the threat, that's just ridiculous. I ran another HM and my Sentinel was generating more threat than the tanks were, so I had to rage that op. Overall, don't enter HM/NiM ops if you can't pay enough attention to the mechanics.

I've been doing some 12x XP leveling recently, with my standard do-each-flashpoint-once-while-leveling tacked on. Most have been weird, with people in the wrong spec or doing strange things. One of my favorites:

Foundry SM as Sorc DPS. A PT tank and I zone in just after HK, to meet:

-A sorc marked as healer who, as I will discover, only does dps and bubbles him/her-self

-A jugg marked as dps, in tank stance

I'm level 36 but all others are level 42/43 so we don't actually wipe:

Bonus boss: Jugg tanks, dies with no heals. PT now tanking and I realize the sorc isn't healing, so I throw a few heals.

I mention lack of heals to the other sorc; no response. (Sorc appears to be lightning spec, and does that strangely common newbie mistake of using force storm single target to proc chain lightning.)

I was marked as dps and didn't really feel like healing right then, so I decide just to see what happens.

Droid mini-boss: Jugg tanks for a bit, then PT tanks. Then PT kites the boss around the pillar when he gets low, and I throw him a few heals and we down it.

I mention lack of heals again. No response.

Revan: Jugg tanking again. I hold off on heals for a bit to see if there's any change --- nope. After that I heal people up after the various spike damage, but otherwise dps (they're level 42/43 so it's not too bad). Jugg "dps" stands in purple circle and dies, but we down it without too much trouble. Next:

Sorc "healer": THANKS ALL GOOD RUN

Me: You were marked as healer but didn't heal at all.

Sorc "healer": WAS i?

Willpower item drops. PT needs and gets it.

HM Rishi on my Jugg.

Zone in, tank drops right away, and doesn't respond to whispers. We decide to forge ahead tankless, but I realize I'm not able to leap to mobs. Whoops, had just gotten her a MH on my other toon and forgot to pick it up, so I zone out to do so.

The other 2 pull out companions to continue, including 1 tank companion. I get my MH and as I zone back in, I must have desummoned said tanking companion just as they engaged a group, because I saw them get obliterated followed by the healer scream to the other dps:

"WHAT ARE YOU DOING? WHY'D YOU TAKE AWAY YOUR TANK?"

:D Then he got mad and left and the 2 of us joined a DF.

Edited by BigBreakfast

Doing some levelling on RE (maybe one day I will get to where I am on ToFN, but not any time soon). Get a pop for SM hammer station on my sage healer.

Everything is pretty normal (a dps is pulling and our tank is in dps spec and stance) up until the first boss. The tank and both dps (or should I say the 3 dps) don't moves from the exploding droids. When trying to heal through the armour debuff (thanks BW, throwing a cleanse mechanic on a mission which can be entered before unlocking cleanse) and damage to 2 dps (I have never had to heal dps in that fight before) with my wide selection of healing abilities we wipe.

1 of the dps tells me I am supposed to cleanse, I say I don't have it yet, its level 18 (I think it is, I didn't check but whatever, it wasn't available at 15. He checks my achievements and notes that I have 400 achievement points, so it looks like I am new.

He start getting patronising about teaching me to heal, despite me pointing out I play ToFN, hence my achievement points on RE mean f-all. Eventually he stops flaming me long enough to read the bit I wrote about moving out of red stuff. his reply "well I suppose we will have to, seeing as our healer cant heal."

They do move out of red stuff, but on the last boss the tank/dps doesn't turn the boss away from the group, so I move myself behind the boss. The 2 dps don't and end up dead. After being told to "stop running round and just heal" I mention the conal mechanic, the adds (which I was killing myself) then drop group.

Doing some levelling on RE (maybe one day I will get to where I am on ToFN, but not any time soon). Get a pop for SM hammer station on my sage healer.

Everything is pretty normal (a dps is pulling and our tank is in dps spec and stance) up until the first boss. The tank and both dps (or should I say the 3 dps) don't moves from the exploding droids. When trying to heal through the armour debuff (thanks BW, throwing a cleanse mechanic on a mission which can be entered before unlocking cleanse) and damage to 2 dps (I have never had to heal dps in that fight before) with my wide selection of healing abilities we wipe.

1 of the dps tells me I am supposed to cleanse, I say I don't have it yet, its level 18 (I think it is, I didn't check but whatever, it wasn't available at 15. He checks my achievements and notes that I have 400 achievement points, so it looks like I am new.

He start getting patronising about teaching me to heal, despite me pointing out I play ToFN, hence my achievement points on RE mean f-all. Eventually he stops flaming me long enough to read the bit I wrote about moving out of red stuff. his reply "well I suppose we will have to, seeing as our healer cant heal."

They do move out of red stuff, but on the last boss the tank/dps doesn't turn the boss away from the group, so I move myself behind the boss. The 2 dps don't and end up dead. After being told to "stop running round and just heal" I mention the conal mechanic, the adds (which I was killing myself) then drop group.

Sounds like you were fortunate to FP with some high level player's new char...they tend to forget that early levels not everyone have a lot of skills for every situation:)

I remember a party (in SM hammer station too) few weeks ago where I died few times just because the lack of things to do to save myself and not rely so completely on other people. At first boss there was a point (when I had used my 1 and only DCD) that I was like ''well....I am going to die....'' which was pretty funny. I apologized after that because if the tank dies because he/she didn't mitigate the damage some way (be it DCD or just vanishing and running away if shadow) it's the tank's fault...

.....ofcourse I may just have played too much healers and hate tanks who blame me for their mistakes:)

Anyway I digress since that party wasn't actually bad....the healer was probably dps, but that is ok with me in such early FP since up to Foundry I don't really acknowledge roles...so long as you do what you are queued to do then everything is fine:)

Edited by Saelinne

At first boss there was a point (when I had used my 1 and only DCD) that I was like ''well....I am going to die....'' which was pretty funny. I apologized after that because if the tank dies because he/she didn't mitigate the damage some way (be it DCD or just vanishing and running away if shadow) it's the tank's fault...

Not really. Tanks job is to avoid avoidable damage, take the rest and mitigate as much of it as possible. If you do this, which you did, you popped your dcd, and die, it's healers fault. Simple as that.

Not really. Tanks job is to avoid avoidable damage, take the rest and mitigate as much of it as possible. If you do this, which you did, you popped your dcd, and die, it's healers fault. Simple as that.

Secretly I agree (as I dislike that people are so fast with blaming others...imo that is the main culprit that disband pugs...and ofcourse the inability (for whatever reason) of some people to learn), but in this instance we have to give the sage a break too (I remember the role because I insisted the party rested before the boss...maybe she thought she could recover force or forgot how much damage the droid boss in SM Hammer FP can actually do with his special (I think it is interruptible, but we didn't have interrupt yet:) ) ) ). So with boss at ~30% hp the sage ran out of force:)

But to be on topic: a FP....where I may be the weird one:)

SM Cademimu: bad healer who almost doesn't heal (I almost died on the first trash there because no heals...thankfully shadows have vanish and I let the DPS tank for a time) so when we reach the encounter with 2 possible champs I force speed and get the attention of most of the group (I think sent CC-ed the second champ droid).....which is my mistake since with no/little heals my hp is fast to disappears...so I vanish at 10% hp or something and all the aggro goes to healer who dies after a while. But meanwhile we clear the weak trash and kill the 2 champions...with me dying in the end because I had to be a damn hero and taunt a champ off dps..../sigh

....all in all a nice pug....tho I can't decide whether to feel proud of myself for....sort of taking the heals that the healer was there for (in the form of his hp) or like an ******e for the same reason:)

I started a new trooper the other day, trying out vanguard DPS – and had got to level 17 and freshened up my gear. I travelled down to NS to pick up more Bio training missions, when I saw a call for Blood Money. Well there’s this piece of armour I want that needs more social, so I thought I’d give it a go, - though Blood money is a bit unforgiving at times, it’s only a H2- albeit level 21. And should only take 10 mins or so.

I (+Aric J) join this sentinel+ Kira, who both keep melting under fire from the mobs- Kira C appears to be in her start gear, nothing more, not even a LS +41 crystal. But we take it slow, and do as much CC as a level 17 and 21 can muster and work our way around the room. – I’m putting target markers on the ones we are aiming for so we’re both on the same page……We down the final pit fighters, when this sent’s trooper buddy asks for an invite- so the sent invites him in- and we have to traverse the area AGAIN so he can play catch up. AJ is dismissed.

–The buddy causes a wipe and we start again, with Kira as backup again, though she keeps falling over. It’s even more painful this next time around as his buddy’s DPS is also pretty pitiful. – Finally we are all just needing the final champ – and his buddy runs the wrong way again and aggros more mobs. The sent peels off, aggros a different group in order to help and we wipe. – Now we have to fight our way back though the mobs to the boss. Finally we get into the control room, clear the room and down the champ. I pass on all the gear, coz I’m not that bothered. The others QT out & disappear, leaving me to turn in – and I’m still 2 points short of the next social level, and best part of an hour has gone. -And the kicker is that my character didn't have enough cash to pay the repair bill, and had to get a sub. GRR!

Anyway, I’m hoping that they at least learned something from the experience- I did – Never underestimate idiots, coz they’ll always surprise you!

:rolleyes:

Edited by Storm-Cutter

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but my frustration with GF is ever increasing...

It never ceases to amaze me how some people carry themselves in these PuGs. I have a level 60 main and enjoy running the HM FP's, TAC FP's, OPs etc... Basically end game. I generally pass on all the gear (unless it is a higher piece than what I have) and just go for comms. The guild that I am in is not active (most I have seen on is 5) so I am always on GF and leveling my crafting while I wait. After an hour of waiting, I get an OP and what seems like an all around cool group of people. We handle the first sections with ease, no deaths, great healers and everyone comes out unscathed. We get to the first big boss of the OP and we do really well, killed the first and had the second down to 10%. Unfortunately we did end up wiping.

Immediately I start getting berated because I am under geared and a drain on the group; "you don't generate enough DPS to help us" etc... and because OPs aren't easy to find, I was unfamiliar with the fight so I was told; "if you are this new to the game, go find a guild. you shouldn't expect us to teach you the fight." First, I am not new to the game. I have been playing for a while but OPs rarely come up in GF. Second, I was in GF. If you want flawless runs, go do them with your own guild who have all the best gear and have run these things 4000 times and stop joining PuGs.

Then he/she proceeds to tell me; "if you are parsing under 2800 damage you are wasting your time." First of all, look up the definition of a word before you use it to attack someone next time. Second, all of my gear is 190/192 with one piece at 186. My implants may be slightly under leveled but not terrible. I have had this discussion at length with others. Why should I waste all of my Elite Comms for a full set of 192 or Ultimate 198 when we are getting an expansion in less the 10 days that will inevitably make all that gear useless? Use your brains, it isn't difficult.

In the end, I drop so they can find a player more suited to their skill level. 2 hours of my time I will never get back and wasn't able to snag any loot/comms for my effort.

It is infuriating when you get wiped and the elitists need to start pointing fingers. We all spend time and money on this game. I will refrain from the age old rant about the amount of hours you have to sink into this game as opposed to someone that has, oh I don't know, a job. But the point is clear. If you don't want to risk "noobs" joining your group, don't use GF. If you use GF for an OP, which again are rare in GF, expect that people may join that are unfamiliar with them. Rather than piss and moan, try and help so that the quality of players in this game increases and doesn't stay stagnant. If you want a better pool of players for PuGs, use some of that infinite wisdom to help them along.

I invite everyone to remember where they came from. Despite the high opinions of yourselves, that OP was a first time for you at one point and I am sure someone helped you learn it before you became the best OP runner in the game. How quickly we forget the old days when we were all "noobs." :rolleyes:

Edit: Oh and just some friendly advice. Running that OP flawlessly will not help you succeed at life. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but that is just fact. Let's lighten up a little bit.

Sorry everyone, had to vent a little.

Edited by chemithir
Additional point

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but my frustration with GF is ever increasing...

Sorry everyone, had to vent a little.

Don't take SM "elitists" too seriously, most are themselves terrible.

Not sure what op you were doing, but dps can be an issue on a few fights. Underlurker comes to mind. When that happens, it IS good to know your own damage output so you can defend yourself against blame. I usually parse when I DPS, even in SM ops, just to see how terrible I'm doing.

Gear also isn't everything. I'm willing to bet some of your group members in full 198s weren't doing the 2800 dps mentioned in chat. In my first ever guild waaay back, we did SM Draxus one day and were hitting enrage. We couldn't figure out why until someone discovered that a particular guildie was doing a horrendous rotation on his lightning sorc. And by rotation I mean, "Lightning strike, lightning strike, lightning strike, lightning strike, lightning strike..." Yeah, you didn't mention hitting Draxus enrage back then... it's embarrassing.

So yeah, damage does matter. The only way to know for sure is to get a parser and see your numbers. Gear will take you so far, and the rest is all your rotation and using the right skills. But if that pug couldn't carry a new person through an SM op then they have no room to say anything.

Once you start running harder content, you'll realize how much stuff you can get away with in SM. Then the SM super elitists will make you smile.