Guide to Bioware Logic in PvP

Kenjigreat

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bolster is a fine idea. If you don't think so, it means you want to squash undergeared players like bugs instead of having competitive pvp.

Meanwhile, poorly implemented, buggy bolster is an unfortunate reality that Bioware is working to address, and threads like these take up space that could be better used by relevant feedback.

Can we please agree and move on?

Then what is the point of having gear then?

With the removal of expertise from my wh/ewh gear I noticed that pve geared players had MORE expertise than I did (:confused:). But I still wiped the floor with them.

I agree pvp should be mostly skill based, but the gear gap could easily be fixed without use of the bolster in 55 pvp.

Edited by LanceCorporalDan

Bolster is a fine idea if it worked as intended. Unfortunately The mess we have is all due to horrible planning, testing and implementation. If they can't get it right, maybe it's time to roll back and tweak the old system until real solutions can be found.

^^This.^^

I like the idea of Bolster --now that they seem to have fixed a little bit of that farce (I don't see anymore fat Twi'leks running around in their skivvies on my sub-55s, which is good, because all of them were making me go "ick.") it seems to be working much closer to how it's supposed to, buuuut....Yeah.

Overall, the implementation of that fundamentally sound idea is rather, well, less than sound.

I don't see why they don't just either,

A) Remove Expertise entirely -- come on, it's a dumb stat, and we all secretly know it, weather we want to admit it or not.

or,

B) Make Expertise useable in all modes --PvE as well as PvP-- so that way those of us who like to "swing both ways" can do it without having to grind for two (at least) separate gear sets. (And make mod-ripping and repair of "purple" bits after a hard boss-fight cheaper, please, thank you.)

The reason I say (B) is because I've found that my overnight-nerfed-to-ground WH-with-EWH-off pieces gear works quite well in PvE (I solo'ed two of the GSI [HEROIC 2+] missions last night in mine without too much trouble, and this was before I remembered to rip the Expertise crystals out of the guns). It's not as good as role-specific PvE gear of the same rating, nor should it be, but it gives another valid option, especially a valid one for those of us who don't want to grind raids day in and day out, and like to make our money/tokens through war-zoning.

Just my CAD 0.02

They will when people start unsubscribing. I am currently on the edge, waiting to how the next patch will fold. If it does not resolve PvP current problems, I guess that's it for me.

I think i'm kind of in the same boat. I've been a subscriber since day 1, and they've totally broken this game. Not only broken it, they've pretty much screwed us over. I'm tired of half-arsed fixes and the apparent inability (or unwillingness) to plan and implement something correctly.

I'll tell you guys what happened. BW realized they can't get much more out of the existing subs. The only way to get new subs and sell their expansion pack to them, if they turn around, spit in the face of the long time subs, make the PvP totally noob and idiot friendly and cater the PvP rejects. I don't think it's gonna work, so far i have not seen any significant changes in PvP (other than more stun and bubble), bads are the same bad just like they used to be. Bolster cant fix stupid.

^^This.^^

I like the idea of Bolster --now that they seem to have fixed a little bit of that farce (I don't see anymore fat Twi'leks running around in their skivvies on my sub-55s, which is good, because all of them were making me go "ick.") it seems to be working much closer to how it's supposed to, buuuut....Yeah.

Overall, the implementation of that fundamentally sound idea is rather, well, less than sound.

I don't see why they don't just either,

A) Remove Expertise entirely -- come on, it's a dumb stat, and we all secretly know it, weather we want to admit it or not.

or,

B) Make Expertise useable in all modes --PvE as well as PvP-- so that way those of us who like to "swing both ways" can do it without having to grind for two (at least) separate gear sets. (And make mod-ripping and repair of "purple" bits after a hard boss-fight cheaper, please, thank you.)

The reason I say (B) is because I've found that my overnight-nerfed-to-ground WH-with-EWH-off pieces gear works quite well in PvE (I solo'ed two of the GSI [HEROIC 2+] missions last night in mine without too much trouble, and this was before I remembered to rip the Expertise crystals out of the guns). It's not as good as role-specific PvE gear of the same rating, nor should it be, but it gives another valid option, especially a valid one for those of us who don't want to grind raids day in and day out, and like to make our money/tokens through war-zoning.

Just my CAD 0.02

The ENTIRE idea of Expertise is to make PVE and PVP progression seperate , It might be dumb, but its function is to prevent people in PVE gear to bypass the gear gap in PvP and vice versa which is obviously being screwed with since PvPers have the short end of the stick in 2.0.

To be honest , With Bioware screwing up bolster time and again on 2.0 and the PTS , Just give us basic PvP gear cause i don't trust them to get bolster right and if they want to do it right it needs alot more testing .

I am going to put it simple. In 1 month this **** its not fixed and if PvP gear does not give a CLEAR advance over any type of PvE gear I am out. The PvE>PvP crep its not even on the table.

Of course I would have no problem for PvE gear to be = to PvP gear for PvP but AS LONG AS PvP gear = PvE gear in raids to. If it works only 1 way I am going to quit. Lots of games out there to pick.

I am going to put it simple. In 1 month this **** its not fixed and if PvP gear does not give a CLEAR advance over any type of PvE gear I am out. The PvE>PvP crep its not even on the table.

Of course I would have no problem for PvE gear to be = to PvP gear for PvP but AS LONG AS PvP gear = PvE gear in raids to. If it works only 1 way I am going to quit. Lots of games out there to pick.

Yep the bolster is a big **** YOU to alot of PvPers since you are pretty much matched by people in PVE gear taking out enhancements and can't do PVE.

Bolster is a fine idea if it worked as intended. Unfortunately The mess we have is all due to horrible planning, testing and implementation. If they can't get it right, maybe it's time to roll back and tweak the old system until real solutions can be found.

That is my idea too. Devs were not ready but the management desided to roll out. Often in software projects.

I'll tell you guys what happened. BW realized they can't get much more out of the existing subs.

There's certainly some truth to this. They've "revamped" PvP how many times now? At least 4, and this is still a young game. Now they've retooled PvE stats as well so people have to not only clear new content, but completely change the way they're geared, tanks especially. Seriously, BioWare? Alacrity stacking on tank sets?

There's certainly some truth to this. They've "revamped" PvP how many times now? At least 4, and this is still a young game. Now they've retooled PvE stats as well so people have to not only clear new content, but completely change the way they're geared, tanks especially. Seriously, BioWare? Alacrity stacking on tank sets?

How can you Revamp PvP 4 times in a year and a half and only have 5 PvP maps . Only made possible by Bioware.

Bolster is a good idea, it's just that it's still being developed and it's buggy. I think it will eventually be good, but I think it was a mistake rolling it live and it will cost them subs. It should have been left on the PTS, and all tiers and types of gear should have been made available for free so people can test and push the bolster system to its limits -- this wasn't done.

Now we're paying to beta test a new piece of code, and people are pissed off about it, deservedly so.

Edit: And I agree with you, Battlemaster level should have been the Recruit level.

Edited by Monterone

Thats what this Thread is about , I honestly want them to REMOVE bolster for level 55 PvP.

The only thing I can think of is to rollback to 1.7 system. Most of the people do not trust a temporary solution. And is it certain that it works without problems<55? Why should this be rolled-out now?

Edited by Aetideus

The only thing I can think of is to rollback to 1.7 system. Most of the people do not trust a temporary solution. And is it certain that it works without problems<55? Why should this be rolled-out now?

The Permanent Solution is to Remove Bolster and Give People FREE PvP gear that is Slightly worse than Partisan . Problem Solved.

They really need to either do some real testing, planning, developing, and implementing or remove this bolster system. The system has failed for so long I think it may be say to say that it's time to put it in the dust and let people wear the gear they earned. I stopped pvping due to this stupid bolster issue already and am enjoying PVE a lot right now.

They really need to either do some real testing, planning, developing, and implementing or remove this bolster system. The system has failed for so long I think it may be say to say that it's time to put it in the dust and let people wear the gear they earned. I stopped pvping due to this stupid bolster issue already and am enjoying PVE a lot right now.

Im sure there are a bunch of people that only PvP due to Scheduling reasons or enjoyment and this really ***** on them.

I don't agree with the OP. I support the bolster system. Needs a little tweaking but that is normal when an expansion is released.

So you support a system that makes PvE gear awesome in PvP by taking out their enhancements , skipping PvP gear Progression and not giving PvPers the same benefit in PvE?

I just hit 55 and have only 1 piece of conqueror and no other pvp gear. I have 24k hp, but I still fking own in PVP. I know skill>gear, but I was better than most people and still better than most people. What is out there for the die hard pvper's. There is nothing because I mean I'm better than most people now with 1 piece of new pvp gear. We have no arenas, rateds are dead, no x server queues, no matchmaking, still preseason. If we really don't need gear to remain competitive what incentives do we have for pvp?

I stopped PvP and am really enjoying the time spent not playing SW:TOR.

why am i subscribed again?

zing....

Im sure everyone has read the Dev's Tracker post on why they changed bolster, and honestly its a stupid move.

No it isn't. What's stupid is all the drama and QQ from players who had a gear advantage and used it to ROFL facestomp other players and not being able to do it so easily now.

I agree. Bring back the tokens and bags that way we can have a HUGE gear gap again. That way when players "work hard" to get their new gear, they know what it's like to have RNG give you the same pieces you already have, 19 times in a row.

While the amount of misinformation and QQ regarding the new gear and Bolster system is reaching epic proportions, I think we can do better. Bring back the bags. I want to see my monitor actually dripping from all the tears.

That way only people who pvp will pvp, (which makes pvpers happy since they know their pug team will have gear and experience thus leaving a loss up to skill and a slight gear gap) and people who pve will only be able to pve.

SOLUTION: Separate the ques:

:ranked ques with no bolster at all levels

:regs will have bolster thus preventing arena kings from curbstomping regs.

Make the "arena" "ranked" pvp gear have teirs. Let everyone who pvp's in regs have exactly the same stats regardless of the gear they are in.

PVP community = happy as they have their gear grind again and somewhat of an advantage over new players due to constant and only pvping.

PVE community = happy they aren't being curbstomped for not having pvp gear yet can still pvp without fear of curbstomp from PVP elites and have a means of earning their gear to pvp with the "BIG BOYS" later if they so choose.

So yes i'm saying segregate the PVP drool dogs from the Roleplaying dress up players.

PVP community = happy because they are only queing with like minded individuals.

RP/PVE community = happy b/c they can still pvp in an environment that is suited for them yet at the same time they don't have to worry about trolls telling them how much skill or gear they lack.

People who want to do both will have to do just that, DO BOTH to be competitive.

= the only people upset are the people who want to do both, but have family/kids/jobs/bills/child support payments and can't play often enough to be elite at both without becoming a slave to the game and alienating their families.