lol bolster

LegendaryQuan

Remove bolster from 55 and allow Partisan gear to become available at around 53 or 54. That way the people who leveled in lowbie can spend their comms on gear that will have them ready for 55 PvP.. Otherwise make another recruit set. The first idea being the better,and easier route.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remove bolster from 55 and allow Partisan gear to become available at around 53 or 54. That way the people who leveled in lowbie can spend their comms on gear that will have them ready for 55 PvP.. Otherwise make another recruit set. The first idea being the better,and easier route.

Frankly, your last point bings up a good question. Instead of doing bolster and making it so everyone could wear pve gear in wz's so they would have a head start. Why didn't they just fix EWH to work in 55's and offer a free EWH set for everyone to start with and then they could work towards Partisan. Seems simple enough.

Frankly, your last point bings up a good question. Instead of doing bolster and making it so everyone could wear pve gear in wz's so they would have a head start. Why didn't they just fix EWH to work in 55's and offer a free EWH set for everyone to start with and then they could work towards Partisan. Seems simple enough.

^^^signed

But simple solutions wouldn't create a slew of bugs, which in turn create job security.

Removing expertise from EWH seemed hasty and antithetical to the hardship to acquire it. Seeing people dig through their cargo hold to find old battlemaster in hopes there is a set bonus is quite sad.

You either are lucky enough not to have traded off the old gear or you approach 55 with less expertise than someone wearing columi.

Removing expertise from EWH seemed hasty and antithetical to the hardship to acquire it. Seeing people dig through their cargo hold to find old battlemaster in hopes there is a set bonus is quite sad.

You either are lucky enough not to have traded off the old gear or you approach 55 with less expertise than someone wearing columi.

Yeah it's bad enough BW is making PvP'ers bend over, now changing our gear to PvE gear is coating themselves with sandpaper before engaging...

The amount of unbased whining in this thread is so big by now, I applaud Eric for still coming here to post updates.

1) Gear does still matter, grind Conqueror gear to make a difference

2) All issues concerning empty slots and endgame PVE gear being better are being handled as known bugs, and next Tuesday there will be a patch that fixes a number of these bugs again. That's 2 weeks in a row of PVP bug fixes then, so..

3) Anyone claiming Bioware isn't giving priority to solving this and making it work as it was designed (Conqueror > Partisan > non-PVP gear), is an idiot and should learn to actually take in what's happening to the game and read the Dev tracker more.

4) Anyone claiming Developers make bugs because it gives them job security should jump off a bridge because that gives them more speed than walking.

5) Anyone asking for them to remove bolster entirely and just add Recruit gear again should look in the mirror and wonder "Am I now not asking them to remove a tested system with known issues they are attempting to solve, with a completely untested system?" Because you are. The moment they do what you ask, we will have a much more unbalanced PVP game than we have right now.

6) Cows go "Moo", Dogs go "Woof", MMO players go "The PVP is unbalanced."

Edited by Devlonir

The amount of unbased whining in this thread is so big by now, I applaud Eric for still coming here to post updates.

2) All issues concerning empty slots and endgame PVE gear being better are being handled as known bugs, and next Tuesday there will be a patch that fixes a number of these bugs again. That's 2 weeks in a row of PVP bug fixes then, so..

3) Anyone claiming Bioware isn't giving priority to solving this and making it work as it was designed (Conqueror > Partisan > non-PVP gear), is an idiot and should learn to actually take in what's happening to the game and read the Dev tracker more.

4) Anyone claiming Developers make bugs because it gives them job security should jump off a bridge because that gives them more speed than walking.

5) Anyone asking for them to remove bolster entirely and just add Recruit gear again should look in the mirror and wonder "Am I now not asking them to remove a tested system with known issues they are attempting to solve, with a completely untested system?" Because you are. The moment they do what you ask, we will have a much more unbalanced PVP game than we have right now.

Obvious dev posting as a player is obvious.

Obvious dev posting as a player is obvious.

Yes.. And Elvis never did no drugs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=lb52oT1kA0Q#t=68s

I liked especially the part with "recruit gear not tested"...

Yeah, because there is already a level 55 recruit set! Oh wait..

Not to mention the myriad of other issues being created by giving away an entry level gear set to all new players (See: "PVE players using recruit gear as entry level PVE gear, making Tionese so useless Bioware eventually admitted defeat and just gave Tionese away for free as well")

Edited by Devlonir

Yes.. And Elvis didn't do no drugs.

Yeah, because there is already a level 55 recruit set! Oh wait..

There are 2 non-entry sets for PVP at 55..how difficult was to introduce a recruit set for level 55 between EWH and Partisan? Or as someone else suggested in this rather long thread, make the EWH the default recruit set for 55? Furthermore they had the experience of the level 50 recruit set. Even more how difficult was to maintain the level 10-49 pvp bracket (which was ok more or less) and add a new level 50-54 bracket where the only bolster is based on leveling stats bolstering (give the same level stats to a char lvl 50 as to a level 54)? But noooo...hey simple functional solutions are not viable...

Instead of that they chosed to reinvent the wheel, and even though the bolster fiasco was reported on PTS they went ahead at launch with it. I have been playing/paying this game since day one, and it's a nice game storywise, but let's face it...they suck at PVP (take into account the Ilum Fiasco and both it's FPS's as well).

There are 2 non-entry sets for PVP at 55..how difficult was to introduce a recruit set for level 55 between EWH and Partisan? Or as someone else suggested in this rather long thread, make the EWH the default recruit set for 55? Furthermore they had the experience of the level 50 recruit set. Even more how difficult was to maintain the level 10-49 pvp bracket (which was ok more or less) and add a new level 50-54 bracket where the only bolster is based on leveling stats bolstering (give the same level stats to a char lvl 50 as to a level 54)? But noooo...hey simple functional solutions are not viable...

And you think a new gear set can be added without any testing of it's metrics at all?

And that doing such also had no impact on other aspects of the game, like PVE?

I think I am glad you were not involved in any decision making when it comes to development in this game.

Instead of that they chosed to reinvent the wheel, and even though the bolster fiasco was reported on PTS they went ahead at launch with it. I have been playing/paying this game since day one, and it's a nice game storywise, but let's face it...they suck at PVP (take into account the Ilum Fiasco and both it's FPS's as well).

Bolster itself is an imperfect system at this time, I completely agree with that.

But I still prefer it over risking the same ridicilous things happening when it came to endgame gearing as that happened between patches 1.0 and 1.7. Recruit sets are HORRIBLE ideas, not great ideas.

Best example here: Level 50 people who never touched a warzone before, and didn't even do the recruit gear pickup quest yet, have ruined more Warzones for me than I can count. I was friendly to all of them, let them know where they could get gear that meant they wouldn't get two-shot by everyone else in the warzone, and helped them that way. But still, having 1 person that, besides not knowing the warzones, also is nothing but free kills for your enemy because his attacks do nothing and it takes barely any effort to kill them is a one way trip to losing a match.

Bolster makes sure this never happens. And just because of that, I applaud it.

The fact that it is also a system that, as soon as 69 and 72 item level gear is added to the PVP vendor can just be scaled up to be just below those numbers without needing another new Recruit set, is just more bonus to everyone. Once the system works, balance will be easier to maintain stat-wise. I'm just patient and see these long term upsides, instead of being blinded by a few points of endurance and main stats i can trade here for having a few less points of crit or surge there, and the trade not being 100% fair at this time.

Because push comes to shove; Developers have posted that between Recruit and EWH fully augmented there was a 60-80% gap of efficiency through gear alone, and the efficiency to non-PVP gear from the Warzone newbie player I said above is even bigger. Not to mention that because of F2P, you can't give away purple quality sets as startup PVP gear, so once gearing goes up, at one moment, a new recruit set can't be made because it would overstretch blue quality item budgets.

This current system, with all it's flaws, has greatly closed that gap of efficiency through gear, while removing the need to keep making new "free gear sets". I call that something else than a fiasco, especially considering how rapidly the known issues are being pointed out, accepted and solved by the Developers at this time.

Don't forget; this will be the second week in a row where a patch will be made specifically to fix PVP and Bolster issues. Smash Monkeys were allowed to go about their idiotic unbalanced spec for months, and this gets solved in a matter of weeks now.

Edited by Devlonir

this or biodrone

Ah yes.. because liking the fact that I can't just randomly pwn newbs who didnt pick up Recruit gear yet makes me a biodrone.

Gotta love people putting that 'title' on anyone who doesn't agree with them without question.

Bolster > Recruit gear 'solution', that is my entire point. It's not perfect, but it's better.

Edited by Devlonir

1) Yeah, gear matters in PVP. Unfortunately it is PVE gear / half empty gear which matters in PVP at the moment.

2) It is amazing how you appear to be arguing that 2 weeks in a row of PVP bug fixes is a good thing. None of these hasty hotfixes would have been necessary if they had properly tested their new Bolster before.

3) Who is claiming that?

4) Who is claiming that?

5) While I agree that there seems to be no turning back from lvl 55 bolster, the old system (i.e. Recruit gear and no bolster in lvl + old expertise) is not untestet (worked for over 6 Month).

6) I agree. Though I do not see how this could speak for the new bolster. If you think that arguing about PVP balance is a stupid excercise which happens anyway regardless of valid arguments, why then support the new bolster, which primary goal was more PVP balance? Moo?

Ah yes.. because liking the fact that I can't just randomly pwn newbs who didnt pick up Recruit gear yet makes me a biodrone.

Gotta love people putting that 'title' on anyone who doesn't agree with them without question.

Bolster > Recruit gear 'solution', that is my entire point. It's not perfect, but it's better.

Bolster > Recruit gear 'solution' if it implemented right agree, but as we can see they can't implement it. I bet not even bet, but sure that there will be more exploits after they will fix or not fix next tuesday. If there are a lot of variables and solution is really complex, then you need to use easier solution. Why not give everyone 55 pvp gear that will have 5% less stats than partisian.

There was a huge gap between ewh and recruit, they have to give gear that can be modded(so u can use pve augs also), maybe bm. Anyway such thing is much more easier than bolster implemented by devs who dont know what they're doing.

I am customer and I want "working" solution not a **** they trying to achieve. A patch for a patch that used to fix bug from previous patch.

5) lol what the **** they tested?. And what u need to test in case of free gear???

Edited by RUDI

So many tears :D. Behold the tragedy, hard-core PvPers lost their crutch, the blasphemy!

Oh grow old already! There are some bugs in the bolster system, how shocking!!! BW get your **** together and correct those. Make sure that people that only PvP are not getting punished for that and you are done.

Rest of you that "OH, I worked so hard for my EWH and BW took it away", screw you. You are the people that, if tomorrow an alien species comes to Earth and gives us the solution to obtain infinite energy, will be crying on the streets: "Screw all the paupers, why do they get hot water and electricity for free? Hey aliens take your technology, shave it up your ***, and begone communists" :cool:.

If you are a PvPer you should enjoy competition and hate bullying. Grinding hundreds of hours for the perfect gear only means you are a grinder not a PvPer. Leveling the playing field means easier access to fun for a larger portion of the player base and makes balancing easier. I won't deny that some sort of prestige rewards would be nice (fancy speeders, reputation with the Republic Military&fancy weapon models, cool looking gear and I don't mean different color gear :p etc) hire some competent designers or whip the old ones into shape :D BW.

TLDR; There are some bugs in the bolster system that need to be eradicated (complex game, lots of variables no surprises here). We don't care to hear your mourning aver obsolete gear.

Leveling the playing field means easier access to fun for a larger portion of the player base and makes balancing easier. I won't deny that some sort of prestige rewards would be nice (fancy speeders, reputation with the Republic Military&fancy weapon models, cool looking gear and I don't mean different color gear :p etc) hire some competent designers or whip the old ones into shape :D BW.

I get it that you have no clue how the new bolster is supoosed to work, right?

Hint: There still is supposed to be a gear progression, only that people with high end raiding gear will perform relatively better than before. Other people are supposed to get buffed at about the level of the old recruit gear. So, if you are dressed in green and attempt to pvp at lvl 55, dont be surprised to get rolled over. As before 2.0..

Yes I know they didn't have the balls to completely remove gear progression in instanced PvP ( I would have welcomed gear progression for open world PvP which could have become a good incentive to revitalize that) but from what I've experienced and read, differences between the gear tiers are a lot smaller now which is a good thing IMHO.

Yes I know they didn't have the balls to completely remove gear progression in instanced PvP ( I would have welcomed gear progression for open world PvP which could have become a good incentive to revitalize that) but from what I've experienced and read, differences between the gear tiers are a lot smaller now which is a good thing IMHO.

Well, my experiece with the bolster in its current (bugged) version is different.

I have 33 KP HP (Juggernaut) at lvl 55. People with good PVE gear can atm have more than 36K HP in a lvl 55 WZ (With about 1700 Exp). Half of the players, however, sits at around 25 KHP.

Bigger gap as before.

Also, average premades still stomp any pug. Nothing new to see here.

When I pay for a service I expect a minimum of quality. I don't understand how can anyone feel that the fact they fail to test (with this new bolster system they have implemented) what was the difference between PVP and PVE gear

is OK. At least for me this should be one of the first test to be made relating gear checks. And as costumer paying for a service it's definitely not OK to have to wait 2 weeks for a service that should be OK from the start.

I spent the last 2 weeks doing WZ for what end?? Can I equip the gear I have bought? Nop! To have a set bonus I need 4 new armorings, and the new bolster doesn't "like" if I equip in the same piece mods with and without Expertise. So it forces me to get 4 armoring, 4 mods and 4 enhancement to do the first gear replacement. As a paying costumer for me this is also not right. On top of all this people who have farm Operation (and spent zero minutes in a WZ) are better equipped then I am in WZ environment (I have a main had weapon with the best PVP hilt, mod and enhancement and it is worst than my dreadguard lightsaber).

Let me reinforce the idea: As a paying costumer it is unacceptable that I have to wait 2 week for a (intermediate) fix to my product. After all BW doesn't give me 2 week of free subscriber gameplay if I fail a payment...

Edited by Spincrossover

The bottom line is Bioware Pvp gear is not viable in Pve Therefore Pve gear should not be viable in pvp.

^ Excellent point !

This is sad ... This game has so much potential and it looks like it is being utterly wasted. Having played many mmo's over the years, I can honestly say this game style had so much potential. PVP could be extremely engaging and fun but something needs to be done asap ! PVP has been needing attention for a looong time. We need a system that works and more content with something to strive for. A good start would be getting rid of this useless pvp patch, more warzones and open world pvp. As an example: A Planet dedicated pvp with bases to be conquered.

An earlier poster made an excellent comment. "If I wanted PVP with a bolstered system, I would play GW2" Couldn't agree more. Played GW2 for 3 days and got bored of that way of PVP extremely quickly. Haven't touched the game since...

I have been a sub for quite a while and would like to stay a sub but... PVP is why I come, and if something is not done I will end the subscription and wait for something better to come along. Hopefully someone is listening...

Edited by latinochillin

Bolster > Recruit gear 'solution' if it implemented right agree, but as we can see they can't implement it.

This is the problem right here. For some reason, a big bunch of you are making this huge leap from "they haven't implemented bolster properly yet" to "they never will." That is unfounded nonsense.

Seriously, some of you have all the patience of a gnat.