Official launch in Australia/New Zealand

StephenReid

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who cares? im havign fun. Im nearly in full BM gear and ill transfer across when oceanic opens up andmake an alt til there are other 50's to play with.

The game isnt that broken and there are the other servers to play on til then.

I've still had no response to any of my offers to host Australian SWTOR servers in iiNet's datacentres.

Hopefully that means they've already found somewhere in Australia to host their servers and they plan to announce those details soon.

I've still had no response to any of my offers to host Australian SWTOR servers in iiNet's datacentres.

Hopefully that means they've already found somewhere in Australia to host their servers and they plan to announce those details soon.

I hope so too. In any event it is good of you to offer.

This was a few pages in, and people seem to keep missing it, so I'll repost here =).

We are planning on actual servers located in the area. The final location is being locked down, but when we say 'local' we don't mean 'in the US but with a label'.

I work at my local EB store. in my quiet little corner of NZ. We've got the hintbooks in, we've got the official mice etc coming...surely we must be due an actual luanch soon? (You'd think I'd have been warned to expect hordes of SW fans, but no news makes for much speculation.)

I really hope I'm wrong but I put an email into bioware/SWTOR for information about when the Australian servers go live are players with collectors editions still be able to use their authenticators for account log in for which I received this response.

Greetings @@@@@@ ,

I am Protocol Droid W5-C6 Human-Cyborg relations.

I have received your transmission regarding with your security key/authenticator, and we thank you for your patience and understanding.

For general information regarding Security Keys, including guides on how to add or remove them to your account, please take a look at the following Help Center article.

http://www.swtor.com/support/helpcenter/2201

For your concern about the security key, if you will going to transfer to a different server you can still use your security key/authenticator.

Unfortunately, you cannot move your character to a different server, you have to create a new player character for you to play in the australian server.

Please do not hesitate to contact us again if there is anything further we can help you with.

Galactic support is our specialty

Sincerely,

Protocol Droid W5-C6 (aka Jeff)

Star Wars: The Old Republic Customer Service

We would like to hear about the experience you had regarding the quality of our transmission. Please send any comments or suggestions to CSFeedback@SWTOR.com

Seriously hope this guy got it wrong or else I've just wasted a lot of time and effort playing on US servers thinking I might get a transfer option later

Will the AU release include a CE? We want another account in the family and I am holding off, as I would like a CE account, so if there is a CE coming down the line I want to get that and make the current account my appropriately aged son's account. But if we're not going to get a CE-enabled release I will just get a normal one now, assuming we get some concrete information regarding some of the much needed PvE bugs in questing and codex and such. Exploring and filling the codex is a huge draw for us and something my son explicitly enjoys, I can't justify buying another copy if that is a feature that isn't actually going to be supported, which seems to be the case as of now.

Let me say, though, that I am very much enjoying the game. I think there is a whole mountain of things done right, like space combat and the quest lines and such. And some things like same sex relationships that are already addressed as 'in the works'. I am a stay at home, partially disabled, home schooling mother so MMOs are a great thing for me since I can easily do quests and such in the down times of teaching, when they are doing private study or reading or worksheets. 30 minutes work time is 30 minutes of *zwoosh zwoosh* for me!

And if you really DO launch actual, geophysically located servers i the Oceanic realm, I will be /blown away/. I've had harsh words for the lack of release here, but that one step of it being to get servers /here/ would make it justifiable. And I would love a lot to help test them when they come online. Hint hint. :)

Anyway, TLDR, will we get a CE? It doesn't have to be a different E or have anything special, just a local release where we can GET a CE, which was much less an option for us Amazon purchasers. :)

OK so it seems as certain as anything else that we WILL get local servers in Australia/NZ.

Fantastic news. This is a giant leap of maturity for MMOs and the region. Hopefully now BW/EA have set a new benchmark for other games.

By doing this, BW/EA will have effectively cornered the MMO market in Australia in terms of network performance, latency/ping times. Particularly for pvp'ers this will be a big draw card. Local servers have to be worth at least +20% more subs i reckon.

In any case, commercially its an intelligent move and I'm sure they wouldn't have done it if it wasn't :p

I just hope their negotiations to lockdown servers don't fall through like Telstra and Blizzard.

EA has been in Australia for ages, so I would be surprised if they are not leveraging internal resources to do this. I'm no expert; perhaps El_Funko can add more - but I assume they will need to reach an agreement with an ISP in any case, even if they are going to use EA datacentres already in Aus. A datacentre is one thing; network connectivity is another.

What would the negotiations process be you think? What issues are they facing.

I had to import on 20th dec

I have a 50 and 25 will we be getting local servers and if so

Will we get transfers available

Really hope we get local servers will be interested in playing at 20ms

Instead of 200+ like most mmos based in USA

We can confirm that Star Wars: The Old Republic will be launching in Australia and New Zealand in the spring of 2012.

Right now we are targeting March 1st, but that could change as our number one priority is making sure that customers have a great service to play on.

For those of you who may have already imported the game, we will be investigating solutions to allow you to continue to play on a local server once they come online in March.

EDIT: As pointed out, southern hemisphere seasons are reversed! When we say 'Spring' you can substitute 'Q1/Q2 2012'. Apologies for that.

Consider getting the game to work in the US and EU before releasing it to new regions!

Thanks,

Your Community

Should have just launched the game here alongside the US and EU, given us a couple servers tagged "Oceanic" and then when you got around to implementing actual Oceanic servers just offered free transfers.

How dare you make sence on these forums!

Stephen & Bioware,

Thanks so much for the update. It is great to see some focus on this and finally something in Concrete for us Australians.

Can you please confirm if this means you will have local server base for Oceania players as this would be a HUGE boost to the local community?

If its simply going to be a US or EU server based on local time, our pings will remain around 500ms (instead of under 100ms) and with many of us already playing on OS servers it would provide no real benefits to move back to a local server especially considering we have guilds and characters already in use else where. (EDIT - Sorry scratch that question ... see its been answered .... this is super awesome uber news!!!)

Please, please, please have an option to transfer our guilds and characters ... I hope you are not getting our hopes up for nothing :) I see there is mention of US transfers but myself and friends play on EU server so will the transfer apply to any current US or EU server??

Also would this still mean downtimes in line with US/EU servers or will this be changed to suit our local timezone.

Would be great to get an official update as we are only 20 or so days out from advised release date.

Keep up the good work and thanks for listening to the community (all negativity aside).

Thanks!

Edited by Aussiedroid

Stephen & Bioware,

Can you please confirm if this means you will have local server base for Oceania players as this would be a HUGE boost to the local community?

If its simply going to be a US or EU server based on local time, our pings will remain around 500ms (instead of under 100ms) and with many of us already playing on OS servers it would provide no real benefits to move back to a local server especially considering we have guilds and characters already in use else where. (EDIT - Sorry scratch that question ... see its been answered .... this is super awesome uber news!!!)

Please, please, please have an option to transfer our guilds and characters ... I hope you are not getting our hopes up for nothing :) I see there is mention of US transfers but myself and friends play on EU server so will the transfer apply to any current US or EU server??

Also would this still mean downtimes in line with US/EU servers or will this be changed to suit our local timezone.

Would be great to get an official update as we are only 20 or so days out from advised release date.

Keep up the good work and thanks for listening to the community (all negativity aside).

Thanks!

check page 5, a reply from Reid confirms locally placed servers.

Anyway, the "targeted" release date is steadily creeping closer, any info on if the target will be met, if we will get a fresh batch of CE's released locally, if there will be free server transfers?

check page 5, a reply from Reid confirms locally placed servers.

We are planning on actual servers located in the area. The final location is being locked down, but when we say 'local' we don't mean 'in the US but with a label'.

He said they are planning at that time. So any new developments? Did they locked down or already made a deal with a local provider wherever or whatever that area mean?

Can't see this getting a March 1st release date this late in February. It could also have something to with Mass Effect 3 being released locally on the 8th March. It wouldn't be smart marketing to release 'similiar' style games so close to each other - robbing Peter to pay Paul etc.

I just think for them to hype the game up for an Aussie release they need more than 2.5 weeks to do it in.