Official launch in Australia/New Zealand

StephenReid

Why are they even bothering with severs for us? Those of us who wanted to play have imported the game and are playing on US servers. Those of us who got all bent out of shape and have since moved on will probably not purchase the game locally and so unless there are mass server transfers those servers will be pretty much empty. :confused:

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah. A few years back iiNet approached (begged) Blizzard to let iiNet host Australian WoW servers for free, but I think Blizzard decided it wasn't worth the trouble after the whole Telstra thing collapsing at the 11th hour.

I actually work at iiNet on the team that manages our game servers, and I know we have a lot of staff & customers who love SWTOR, so I think I'll put an email through to Bioware offering to host the Aussie servers in our datacentre.

Feel free to lend support to this idea if you think having sub-100 ping iiNet-run SWTOR servers around Australia would be a good idea! :)

If a Bioware rep would like to get in contact with me regarding this, my contact info is in my profile. I'll put an email through to contact@bioware.com too.

you might wanna run it past MM first dont u think?.. unless suddenly you became the ceo of iiBorg?

Here's hoping the Australian/NZ servers will be worth moving to, and by that I mean I hope the population will be high enough for puggers to find a group with relative ease and for Ilum (open pvp) and warzones to be filled easily.

Why are they even bothering with severs for us? Those of us who wanted to play have imported the game and are playing on US servers. Those of us who got all bent out of shape and have since moved on will probably not purchase the game locally and so unless there are mass server transfers those servers will be pretty much empty. :confused:

Firstly, we won't need to buy an "Australian" copy to play on the Aussie servers. They'll probably have their own Oceania tab just like NA/EU.

Secondly, Bioware would have to offer Aussies free transfers across to the new servers so they're populated, otherwise very few people will want to re-roll entirely new characters.

Also, most of us Aussies are more then happy playing on US servers, we have to for most games so kind of used to it.

Besides by March, 2012 I dont think I'll want to be moved from my current server, already making out of guild contacts for flashpoints and pvp.

Yeh what he said, my main is 36 and I imported the game and am currently playing on a US server

Also, most of us Aussies are more then happy playing on US servers, we have to for most games so kind of used to it.

Besides by March, 2012 I dont think I'll want to be moved from my current server, already making out of guild contacts for flashpoints and pvp.

Regardless of what you think, you don't speak for 'most of us'. It would be great if morons like you stopped adding to the perception that Australians will tolerate second class service because by now we are 'used to it'.

How will anything improve for people like me, if people like you continue to send the wrong message on behalf of 'most of us'?

To Bioware: This concept of an Oceanic release is only worth it if we have local servers, and the ability to transfer chars (pref free of course). Don't be Blizzard clones and simply regroup a few US servers as 'Oceanic'. It won't achieve anything and offers no value to players already on swiftsure and harbinger. Without improved latency through local servers, I can't see why people would leave behind established networks of guilds and friends when they can get exactly the same thing by doing nothing and staying put.

An update would be nice. It's now 1st Feb, so apparently this release is next month.

i brought the game to play with my friends.

they have had the game longer than I, as I live in NZ and getting the game was difficult

now I start to enjoy it. and talks of Australian / Oceanic placed server is great.

However right now my friends dont play because there is nothing to do @ max level anymore.

so they just dont login. and here i am. wondering whether i should continue playing these characters. Not Play them and wait to start new on new server. wonder if i can transfer my character. or whether to stop playing at all because of the content regardless.....

Regardless of what you think, you don't speak for 'most of us'. It would be great if morons like you stopped adding to the perception that Australians will tolerate second class service because by now we are 'used to it'.

How will anything improve for people like me, if people like you continue to send the wrong message on behalf of 'most of us'?

To Bioware: This concept of an Oceanic release is only worth it if we have local servers, and the ability to transfer chars (pref free of course). Don't be Blizzard clones and simply regroup a few US servers as 'Oceanic'. It won't achieve anything and offers no value to players already on swiftsure and harbinger. Without improved latency through local servers, I can't see why people would leave behind established networks of guilds and friends when they can get exactly the same thing by doing nothing and staying put.

An update would be nice. It's now 1st Feb, so apparently this release is next month.

We don't need local servers. All we need is a high speed link to the US servers. I'm thinking that Bioware could set up servers in Sydney or Melbourne that game clients from AU and nearby regions use. We'd get a 5 to 50 ping to those servers and those servers would use their highspeed commercial links to act as a proxy between AU gamers and the TOR servers in the US or EU.

Like the person you quoted, I don't care for Australian servers either. I'm established on a server in the US. I have a guild that I do not wish to leave. I'm enjoying this servers PvP and PvE communities. I do not wish to leave.

That said, I do want better quality of service and what I just stated will provide that without me having to transfer to an Oceanic based server.

Edited by Bomyne
I can't even spell my own country name!

We don't need local servers. All we need is a high speed link to the US servers. I'm thinking that Bioware could set up servers in Sydney or Melbourne that game clients from AU and nearby regions use. We'd get a 5 to 50 ping to those servers and those servers would use their highspeed commercial links to act as a proxy between AU gamers and the TOR servers in the US or EU.

Like the person you quoted, I don't care for Australian servers either. I'm established on a server in the US. I have a guild that I do not wish to leave. I'm enjoying this servers PvP and PvE communities. I do not wish to leave.

That said, I do want better quality of service and what I just stated will provide that without me having to transfer to an Oceanic based server.

Er.. I don't think you realise how data transfer between the Aus and the US works. It's never going to get better then about 170ms. Thats the physical limit of the fire optics. We already get like 180-190ms so what your talking about is already in place but there is no such thing as some magic "highspeed commercial link".

I'll take a real 5-50ms ping. Too many (non) gamers seem to think its something you can just put up with.

It's never going to get better then about 170ms. Thats the physical limit of the fire optics

exactly..

duh. you can tell the difference between games that give you 230 ms. and games that give you 170 ms. personally i think playing swtor on 120 ping woulndt be much better than 170. however. playing on 60. as aposed to 120. HUGE DIFFERENCE.

think of fps games did you ever play as a 56k warrior. dare i mention 56k. lol

We can confirm that Star Wars: The Old Republic will be launching in Australia and New Zealand in the spring of 2012.

Right now we are targeting March 1st, but that could change as our number one priority is making sure that customers have a great service to play on.

For those of you who may have already imported the game, we will be investigating solutions to allow you to continue to play on a local server once they come online in March.

EDIT: As pointed out, southern hemisphere seasons are reversed! When we say 'Spring' you can substitute 'Q1/Q2 2012'. Apologies for that.

That's our Autumn, not Spring! :p Although you did correct in the edit. :D

I'm still glad I was able to get in early, I'm not sure I'd want to change to a local server as the latency to the US West servers is really good most of the time. AVG 150 to 170ms.

I guess it'll only matter if I start getting into PvP.

Thanks for the info.

Edited by Palathas

... I'm not sure I'd want to change to a local server as the latency to the US West servers is really good most of the time. AVG 150 to 170ms.

Yeah 150-170ms isn't bad at all and I've been quite impressed with the pings, myself (in other MMORPGs I'd get pings of 280-350ms), but a local server would mean pings of 50-70ms. Are you sure you wouldn't want to move with pings like that possible?

Congrats Australia....!!

Seems like you get an amazing expirience:

* the most graphically impressive MMORPG to date, with some truly stunning environment

* wonderfully epic orchestral score

* iconic sound effects

* the most complete and polished mmorpg ever launched

* Battleground pvp: Everyone in the game is then temporarily boosted to the level of the highest person in the match so that it makes for fair contest.

* Audio is another home-run for the game all around.

Ausgamers.com 9.5/10

http://www.ausgamers.com/games/star-wars-the-old-republic/review/

Seems like the Aussies get a game we have not seen far far away...:D

Where do i get this game ?

Edited by BobaFurz

Congrats Australia....!!

Seems like you get an amazing expirience:

* the most graphically impressive MMORPG to date, with some truly stunning environment

* wonderfully epic orchestral score

* iconic sound effects

* the most complete and polished mmorpg ever launched

Ausgamers.com 9.5/10

http://www.ausgamers.com/games/star-wars-the-old-republic/review/

Seems like the Aussies get a game we have not seen far far away...:D

Where do i get this game ?

You have to import it from Australia and play on their servers haha