Official launch in Australia/New Zealand

StephenReid

Er.. I don't think you realise how data transfer between the Aus and the US works. It's never going to get better then about 170ms. Thats the physical limit of the fire optics. We already get like 180-190ms so what your talking about is already in place but there is no such thing as some magic "highspeed commercial link".

I'll take a real 5-50ms ping. Too many (non) gamers seem to think its something you can just put up with.

I don't think you understand how the internet works.

Step 1: I connect to the server in Sydney. My lousy broadband and the fact that I'm just south of perth gives me a ping of about 50.

Step 2: The proxy server's high speed connection reroutes my messages to to the US.

Step 3: The game server replies are sent back to the proxy via the same high speed connection.

Step 4: The proxy server replies to me. All in under the blink of an eye.

All in all, I get between 50 and 170 ping. Which is better than the current ping of 400 to 600, isn't it?

Even if you're right about it never falling below 170, that's still better than current pings.

It's unacceptable to open Australian servers. The majority of people interested in the game in Australia already have the game. They're already established on US servers and we know for a fact that it's pretty costly to operate Australian MMO servers. There's a reason why there's no AU based WoW servers. There's a reason why Sony closed their Pirates of the Burning Sea AU servers. Too costly.

As I said, even if you're right about 170, I'll take that over the problems locally hosted servers would cause AND 170 is still a lot better then current pings.

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Step 1: I connect to the server in Sydney. My lousy broadband and the fact that I'm just south of perth gives me a ping of about 50.

Step 2: The proxy server's high speed connection reroutes my messages to to the US.

<snip>

I take it from this that you are currently using a proxy service to connect to tor. ( I hope so, because the rest of my reply assumes that you do). The actual problem here is that you have a crappy ISP.

From NZ I'm currently getting about 170-200 ms. Which is about standard for a connection to the US. If you are normally getting 400-600 ( without proxy service ) but get 170 with the proxy service, it's extremely likely that the traffic shaper your ISP uses prioritises gaming traffic low. My ISP puts it on a high priority ( someone gaming doesn't actually use much bandwidth, and while they are gaming they are generally not trying to download the internet ).

The other possibility is that your ISP's traffic shaper is allocating TOR traffic as P2P, because that tends to be the default setting with anything it hasn't seen before, and it's all getting low priority. ( interestingly, this was a very big problem with Rift at launch, partly because the network protocol they used was derived from a P2P protocol, so everyone's traffic shapers recognised it as P2P and prioritised it very low. I spent some time back and forth with a Rift dev to sort this out ).

The other possibility is that your ISP doesn't use a traffic shaper at all, and instead their international pipe is congested, giving you the bad pings. When you go through a proxy, you get to the proxy via a domestic route, and it then uses a different international route to what your ISP does.

I may as well make another character on oceanic... I mean it would be dumb to bring my Marauder who is about t ohit battlemaster across!

Tho the legacy system if in place would be cool. I could be a race other noobs couldnt b and parade around making me out to be some SWTOR god. They could then throw creds at me and build several temples in my name!

The fact of the matter is I get 180-200 ping and okay I understand the sheer distance involved with sending the information across the pacific is huge. But god dammit when I have close to 200 ping and some American i'm trying to beat in PvP has 40 is destroys me.

I may as well make another character on oceanic... I mean it would be dumb to bring my Marauder who is about t ohit battlemaster across!

Tho the legacy system if in place would be cool. I could be a race other noobs couldnt b and parade around making me out to be some SWTOR god. They could then throw creds at me and build several temples in my name!

This'll be interesting because if you start a character on a different server then you have to unlock your legacy for that server, a legacy on one server doesn't carry over to another. What happens with a character that transfers though? They are investigating if it'll be possible to transfer to local servers.

Edited by Palathas

replying to the people saying we don't need servers in Australia. move all the US ones over here and see how badly they all scream at 170-250pings, it would be anarchy, yet you expect us to tolerate it.

its a proven fact someone with 20ping to a server can destroy the person with 350ping in pvp. ive been dead still casting waiting for the server to tell my machine i am dead.

BW did mess up with release, they should have just opened it to au/nz at the same time with the promise of free transfers to au servers when they come online. (this would have greatly increased their player base.)

to the people complaining about the currently unofficial servers becoming ghost towns and crying for free transfers, go away, you knew what was happening on release, you choose the server due to high pop and better pvp/pve due to larger player base. this happened in wow US residents using au servers because there was always someone to play with, well tough times ahead, your gonna have to suffer with your own player base soon enough, then you wont be complain about us swamping your servers, you'll be missing us.

so in short, BW give us an update as to release so we can get away from US servers.

thanks

What % will have quit by then? Lol. Im one.

Its just another game. F2P it isnt. F2P it should be.

I stupidly brought another months worth, played for 1 day, havnt logged on since then.

I am totally insulted BW think us nothing more then windowlickers that have no gaming experience up our sleeves, they must do...Because this game is easier then casually possible.

Lack of challenge always leaves a bad taste in my mouth after a few months.....

Edited by darthjerro

I stupidly brought another months worth, played for 1 day, havnt logged on since then.

I am totally insulted BW think us nothing more then windowlickers that have no gaming experience up our sleeves, they must do...Because this game is easier then casually possible.

Lack of challenge always leaves a bad taste in my mouth after a few months.....

What do you want people to do, feel sorry for you lol.

dont like the game, don't play it.

Its that easy.

Edited by Kanharn

I don't think you understand how the internet works.

Step 3: The game server replies are sent back to the proxy via the same high speed connection.

Step 4: The proxy server replies to me. All in under the blink of an eye.

All in all, I get between 50 and 170 ping. Which is better than the current ping of 400 to 600, isn't it?

Even if you're right about it never falling below 170, that's still better than current pings.

It's unacceptable to open Australian servers. The majority of people interested in the game in Australia already have the game. They're already established on US servers and we know for a fact that it's pretty costly to operate Australian MMO servers. There's a reason why there's no AU based WoW servers. There's a reason why Sony closed their Pirates of the Burning Sea AU servers. Too costly.

As I said, even if you're right about 170, I'll take that over the problems locally hosted servers would cause AND 170 is still a lot better then current pings.

Congratulations, you have no idea how TCP/IP works.

I currently get 170-200 ping to TOR servers [via a direct connection, no magic servers needed] and the only way that will actually get any lower is if the servers are physically moved closer to us.

(Unless your 'high speed internet' can somehow break the speed of light.)

PS: The reason that using an SSH proxy to connect to wow made things seem faster was because of the TCP algorithm they used.

Edited by Heliotic

Well done aussies.

Nice to see bioware taking local servers seriously rather then just saying we are a US company deal with it.

Have to ensure that maintenance times do not fall in aussie prime time. (TBH each server cluster should be having maintenance based on local minimum acitivty not global minimum acitivty)

Any update on when or if this is still going to happen?

I really hope they don't pull a blizzard on us and say its an "Australian" server but sitting in the USA.

If they do that i will quit the game in a instant ,no australian server = BW lose

So BW can we get a Update please????

We can confirm that Star Wars: The Old Republic will be launching in Australia and New Zealand in the spring of 2012.

Right now we are targeting March 1st, but that could change as our number one priority is making sure that customers have a great service to play on.

For those of you who may have already imported the game, we will be investigating solutions to allow you to continue to play on a local server once they come online in March.

EDIT: As pointed out, southern hemisphere seasons are reversed! When we say 'Spring' you can substitute 'Q1/Q2 2012'. Apologies for that.

lol was just gonna say... :)

Jealous of the aussies, the delayed launch unveiled how turrible the game is without having to commit to a purchase to try it. Forced smart consumerism.

You must be playing some game im not cause im haveing **** loads of fun !

p.s its like all mmos work in progress when i first played it i had a few problems you could call them bugs etc but since game fixes and updates(patch 1.1.2 tonight) the game has been getting better all the time the sky is the limit ,the game is awesome and will improve as time goes bye like most things do plus i bought 16 gigs of ram(130 aussie dollars) now the screens load in 5 seconds not 50 lol!

Edited by Wikileeks

We can confirm that Star Wars: The Old Republic will be launching in Australia and New Zealand in the spring of 2012.

Right now we are targeting March 1st, but that could change as our number one priority is making sure that customers have a great service to play on.

For those of you who may have already imported the game, we will be investigating solutions to allow you to continue to play on a local server once they come online in March.

EDIT: As pointed out, southern hemisphere seasons are reversed! When we say 'Spring' you can substitute 'Q1/Q2 2012'. Apologies for that.

Would love to get a exact date please! as I need to put in for time off at work :D