Lethality Op PVP vid 2

Ravashakk

i find i do better with the 30% TA proc on hot lethality build. 18/0/23.

a little bit less damage per shot, but i can chain culls more frequently while being more surviable.

when all cd's are down i can quickly heal myself for another ta proc into cull.

I've tried to hybridize the spec, but you lose too much burst dmg from the top talents in leth. If you are more of a lone wolf, then your spec should do well. If you generally have healers/tanks then you don't have to worry about healing as much, and concentrate on doing dmg.

Weakening blast buffs the internal dmg portion of your cull by 30%, and the talent below that buffs your poison dmg on targets under 30% health also buffs your cull's internal dmg by 15%.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've tried to hybridize the spec, but you lose too much burst dmg from the top talents in leth. If you are more of a lone wolf, then your spec should do well. If you generally have healers/tanks then you don't have to worry about healing as much, and concentrate on doing dmg.

Weakening blast buffs the internal dmg portion of your cull by 30%, and the talent below that buffs your poison dmg on targets under 30% health also buffs your cull's internal dmg by 15%.

i felt more culls and the ability to stay alive and get more off outweighed that.

and i bet you only chose extend clips of everything going right. like every class video in the history of man....

The other video was 21 mins of compilation from 1 night of PVPing (I think 6-8 games maybe).

Think what you want, but I'm not going to make a PVP snuff film. The majority of ppl don't want to see the times where I'm running around doing nothing or getting killed by 4 guys.

Your opinion has been noted. Feel free to level on Jedi Covenant if you want to see how much of me is PVP video quality.

Hi,

i play / played Lethality Op from game Day -7 (one week early access - well maybe -6 befor i got to level 10).

I can only say Lethality is much broken in PvP. Also i can say, i take any other DMG class and destroy Lethality. That's it.

Do you want to know it's 'sweet secret' ?

- he need its TA (tactical advantage) to use Cull (biggest DMG attack) and also Cull to do any DMG he needs to have 2 poisons on you

- ergo:

1. let him dot you (cleanse if you can - remember cleanse is on 6 sec cooldown, so if you cleanse right, he wont even have chance to do any DMG to you because he can not use his biggest attack with no poisons on you)

2 let him shiv you (knife attack - he need to knife you to gain TA for Cull)

3. CC him, slow him + kite him for roughly 5 sec (depending on you CC ability time) and let his Tactical advantage expire .... and you have one Lethality with pants down

4. laugh at him (this all doing while 2nd cleansing his DoTs and removing them entirely)

5. proceed to kill him if you didn't already

The video show that you can be good if you run unchecked - but then any class can. Nothing against the player here, he does good, but then as said, if you're spotted by someone who's decent player, you're dead meat.

Edited by tatatan

I honestly didn't know devs watched PVP videos, so thank you for your time.

Yeah, I'm glad they have time to reply to this, of all topics, and time to watch a player made video, rather than actually responding to 1 of the hundreds of threads about CCs.

Glad he's here, just feel he's in the wrong thread.

i felt more culls and the ability to stay alive and get more off outweighed that.

Using numbers off the top of my head, my cull hits for 1400 non crit white dmg, and 746 internal dmg non crit x2.

That's 2892 non crit. A crit with my surge will cause the cull to hit upwards of 5203 if all are crits. With WB debuff, the cull goes from 3340 all non crits to 6008 all crits. If target is below 30% those become 3631/6532 respectively.

So my double cull (in a VERY ideal situation) has a dmg ceiling of 13k while yours is 10.4k. Now you might like sacrificing that burst for increased cull frequency and better healing, but I don't. In addition, you're going to have a hard time culling a target that is getting cleansed. With lingering toxins, I will get a cull or 2 off before the cleanse comes off c/d.

It is your character though, so play it how you want. I'm just giving you some food for thought.

to be fair you only get cleansed when the enemy has a competent person playing a cleansing class or there is a very small fight with a cleanser in the mix. regular wz's don't have these every game.

also most 1v1's they don't have a cleanse ability so it's fairly strong in those situations.

but yes, against competent opponents you will be waiting for acid cd while doing mediocre damage in-between.

Edited by cultivatedmass

Great to see another lethality OP.

Even though some of our abilities need to be close, we do not need to be close (4m) for the entire battle. We can DoT the people we want, run close to the targets we want (do the business with weakening blast, cull and shiv) and then casually slip out. Unlike a conventional melee which is always in your face, this spec can go unnoticed for a decent amount of a wz and stay out of harms way while putting tons of pressure on their healers.

Not that this holds merit until I post a picture, but I have been known to put up a million damage from time to time. Come find me on the Pot5 and I will show you a bad time against me.

Great to see another lethality OP.

Even though some of our abilities need to be close, we do not need to be close (4m) for the entire battle. We can DoT the people we want, run close to the targets we want (do the business with weakening blast, cull and shiv) and then casually slip out. Unlike a conventional melee which is always in your face, this spec can go unnoticed for a decent amount of a wz and stay out of harms way while putting tons of pressure on their healers.

Not that this holds merit until I post a picture, but I have been known to put up a million damage from time to time. Come find me on the Pot5 and I will show you a bad time against me.

you probably boost the healing numbers of the opposing team as well =)

the sign of a good class is the ability to do the least amount of damage to take someone down.

someone that does 22k damage to kill is better than someone that does 40k damage to kill, even though the latter looks better on the scoreboard.

this is burst vs fluff. pvp 101.

Edited by cultivatedmass

the sign of a good class is the ability to do the least amount of damage to take someone down.

someone that does 22k damage to kill is better than someone that does 40k damage to kill, even though the latter looks better on the scoreboard.

You must not be a healer.

After an AOE smash and everyone DoT'ed up, immense pressure is put on healers. If I see someone < 50% health, it's time to burst them down with a cull or two.

Edited by Gerbanator

to be fair you only get cleansed when the enemy has a competent person playing a cleansing class or there is a very small fight with a cleanser in the mix. regular wz's don't have these every game.

also most 1v1's they don't have a cleanse ability so it's fairly strong in those situations.

Assassins have a defensive cooldown that wipes them, operatives have a cleanse and a cooldown that wipes them, snipers wipe them, mercs cleanse them. That's half of the ACs.

but yes, against competent opponents you will be waiting for acid cd while doing mediocre damage in-between.

Whatever you say.

There are SO many variables that go into how efficient someone is, that you can't just use a blanket statement like that.

Fluff never hurt so much.

After an AOE smash and everyone DoT'ed up, immense pressure is put on healers. If I see someone < 50% health, it's time to burst them down with a cull or two.

As a proficient healer, I am pressured more when a lot of ppl are taking dmg instead of 1-3. I mean, you can't sustain rolling hots on more than 4 ppl.

Especially liked your first video where you fight the Focus Sentinel (
) and DoT up the whole team at center point in CW (
) Great stuff!
I wish Watchman Sentinel still had the skillbox that allowed them to spread any DOTs via Force Sweep to everyone in it's AOE distance. I loved that one in Beta. If it came back, I'd definitely play Watchman again.

that pressure was from smash. replace all those dots with another burst attack and it's more effective.

Edited by cultivatedmass

As a proficient healer, I am pressured more when a lot of ppl are taking dmg instead of 1-3. I mean, you can't sustain rolling hots on more than 4 ppl.

This. ^

Seems like Ravashakk and I are on the same page.

Let me do some maths for you guys:

Corrosive Dart says it does 3600 internal damage over 18 seconds. A mere 200 dps (boo) ... but wait there is more. Add in corrosive microbes...

3600 * 0.75 + 3600 * 2 * 0.25 = 4500 = 250 dps

Can I crit too? Sure, with Lethal dose (12%) and 40% crit.

4500 * 0.48 + 4500 * .52 * 1.75 = 6255 = 347.5 dps

ONE corrosive dart can do 347.5 dps. I spread those babies out and healers can have a hayday on the other team.

Another big point people miss about OP lethality dps is that hardly any of our damage is 'white' damage. It is either internal or kinetic. Grenade, explosive probe, orbital strike, corrosive dart, corrosive grenade, cull (internal part), shiv(?) are all damaging abilities that tear up tanks in heavy armor.

Don't knock lethality operatives until you see a good one in action.

On a side note, hidden strike is a great opener to gain a TA.

Honestly, I don't think most people really understand Lethality. Also, people that use the term "fluff damage" are almost always merely players who are trying to make excuses for their sub-par damage score in PvP.

Though there is a place for burst damage, there is also a place for heavy sustained/AoE damage. The beauty of Lethality, is it can do both.

Personally, I don't even agree with the playstyle of the OP, but to each their own, I guess. But I find that this type of playstyle really sets people off to the spec, and is the playstyle (and spec) utilized by almost every single Lethality Op I ever see.

One thing I'd really like to point out, is the false notion that Lethality lacks defense and mobility. The entire spec revolves around mobility! 4 talents in the Lethality tree, deal with mobility, in fact.

Lethality, when played properly, should die very rarely. I typically die 0-3 times in a warzone (Very often 0 times). You see, the main beauty of Lethality, is that the damage we do, is largely ambiguous. In other words, it's very easy for a target to not realize where our damage is coming from. Because of this, it's very easy to avoid being focused, or even getting targeted at all.

Improving upon this even further, is our exceptional ability to escape. One major mistake I see most Lethality Ops making, is their use of Debilitate (Our 4 second stun), as an offensive tool, rather than a defensive tool. Proper use of Debilitate + Slip Away run speed bonus, can get us out of most situations. But if that's not enough, we also have flash bang (Obviously you don't want to use this on someone who is DoTed.), and Adhesive Corrosives + Sever Tendon combo. And with Escape Plan specced (IMO one of the spec's best talents, yet is oddly enough neglected by many, if not most, Lethality Ops.), plus counterstrike (and Toxic Scan for tech classes.), you can escape from tons of CC on a regular basis. Also, too many people shrug off our ability to self heal, but it is the reason why I think Lethality Op (played properly) is > Lethality Sniper (That, and the fact that our Cull does way more damage, and has no CD so it can be chained.).

Basically, the best advice I can give to any Lethality Op, is to avoid 90% of 1v1 fights. The second someone engages you, you stun and run. This class is not about going toe to toe with other classes, like so many try to do. It's about fighting dirty, and always trying to engage players that are not engaging you. It involves a lot of moving around, and use of LoS objects (I <3 columns.).

Sadly, most people that I see playing Lethality, put too much emphasis on Cull, and go toe to toe with people way too much. Those who tend to have success with this, usually have a good healer at their side, too. But IMO, it's a waste of the spec's true strengths, and is simply trying to do the job other classes can do better.

I also often hear people try to say cleanse ruins the class. In all the time I have played Lethality, I have never found this to be the case. In fact, it wasn't even the case before we got Lingering Toxins! Most classes you come across in PvP, can't cleanse tech DoTs. Those that can, will expend more effort for it to be a boon for them. If someone cleanses my DoT (Requires 2 cleanses with Lingering Toxins.), I will simply re-apply it instantly. But this just plain doesn't happen. Most healers will not be able to even come close to keeping their team cleansed, let alone themselves. In the end, all I can say, is that in my experience, cleanse has simply not been an issue for me.

And finally, there's the whole nonsense of how our DoT's are just "fluff damage." When you see your entire screen lighting up with yellow damage, you realize it's anything BUT "fluff." Especially when it's feeding me the energy I need to produce burst damage. But burst damage aside, the value of sustained and AoE damage, that we can dish out, is far more useful than people like to think. The damage to effort ratio on our DoTs is wonderful! Even in huttball, where people tout the importance of burst damage - Having sustained AoE damage can be just as important. Why? Because most classes can pass the ball before they are burst down. It's nice when the ball gets passed to someone at 75% HP, thanks to my DoTs and grenades, who would otherwise have been at 100% HP.

Anyways, I could go on and on and on, but this post is already long enough as it is!

In the view of the experienced Lethality players, what are your good and bad matchups? One of the problems I have with this class is that Scrappers (the other Scoundrel DPS tree) seem to have better overall matchups than Lethality does. But that might be wrong, because I don't play the spec. You can check out my guide in my signature for a super-detailed explanation of the machups, but I will reproduce them here in order of easiest to hardest.

EASY:

Sorcerers

Arsenal/Healing Mercenaries

Snipers

Advanced Prototype/Shieldtech PTs

MEDIUM:

Operatives

Juggernauts/Marauders (any spec)

HARD:

Sith Assassins

Pyrotechs

(NOTE: AP/ShieldTechs are not on my other list in my thread)

Does Lethality really improve any of those matchups? As I see it, and again, I might be totally wrong because I don't play the spec, here are the Lethality matchups:

EASY:

Sniper

Sorcerer

MEDIUM:

Arsenal Mercenaries (even if they cleanse DOTs they still have terrible damage)

Sith Warriors (any spec)

HARD:

Operatives (Evasion alone makes this fight brutal, not to mention the HOTs and Cleanses on healers)

Sith Assassins (Shroud is even worse for Lethality than it is for Scrappers)

Pyrotechs (Even if you have a "better" matchup against PTs than Scrappers, it still seems terrible)

Even though Lethality will ultimately put up a ton of damage over the course of a warzone, their overall usefulness in battle seems pretty diminished. They can't win some fights that other Operatives can win, and the harder matchups are made even worse. But as I said, I would love to hear a Lethality player discuss it from their perspective.

EDIT:

A few words in anticipation of the counter argument "But Lethality Ops shouldn't be doing matchups at all! They should avoid 1v1s, 2v2s, 1v2s, etc. entirely"!

Unless you are playing against bad pugs (who can't even focus a crosshaired healer, let alone a Lethality player), this idea about "no 1v1s" is a total myth. Because Ops are generally so squishy, yet have a high damage output, they make very tempting targets. Pyrotechs especially will turn their fire (hehe) on you because the ratio of (time spent) + (damage they will take) + (resources will expend) is always favorable when compared to the damage they will prevent you from doing by killing you. Good PTs can murder Operatives pretty quickly, before moving on to other targets. Chargers will leap at you. Sins will hunt you down (not to mention enemy Ops). And let's not forget the vengeance aspect of PvP, where someone that you kill will try and find you to earn back his imaginary honor.

Basically, 1v1s, 2v2s, and 1v2s happen a lot. Side node fights happen a lot (away from the main battle). Because of this, direct matchups are extremely important.

Edited by ktkenshinx

In the view of the experienced Lethality players, what are your good and bad matchups?

As an experienced Lethality player, I'd tell you that matchups, for this spec, are almost as unimportant to us, as they are to a healer.

If you are trying to beat classes in 1on1 fights, you are playing the class wrong. Lethality is a support DPS class, and does a damn good job at it. It does not, on the other hand, do as good of a job at 1vs1 fights. Most classes, if equally skilled as you, will have an advantage against you in a fair fight.

The best way to beat someone "1v1" as Lethality, is to run like a little girl, and return to shoot them in the back like a dirty dishonorable scoundrel.

Unless you are playing against bad pugs (who can't even focus a crosshaired healer, let alone a Lethality player), this idea about "no 1v1s" is a total myth. Because Ops are generally so squishy, yet have a high damage output, they make very tempting targets. Pyrotechs especially will turn their fire (hehe) on you because the ratio of (time spent) + (damage they will take) + (resources will expend) is always favorable when compared to the damage they will prevent you from doing by killing you. Good PTs can murder Operatives pretty quickly, before moving on to other targets. Chargers will leap at you. Sins will hunt you down (not to mention enemy Ops). And let's not forget the vengeance aspect of PvP, where someone that you kill will try and find you to earn back his imaginary honor.

I am able to escape from every single class, with my spec.

Most people will give up trying to focus you, after they realize you are too squirrelly for them to kill to be worth it. Granted, there are those who focus you even more, because they are pissed off that you keep escaping them - But these types usually are a detriment to their team, as is anyone who is revenge-focusing (and happens rarely.). With proper use of CC, you can give 2 or 3 players a tough time catching you. And if you can keep even 2 people occupied with trying to kill you, you are a boon to your team. Also, in those instances where you just can't get away, you have your final get out of jail free card - Cloaking Screen.

But most people simply won't see you as a target worth the effort of chasing (or even focusing).

EDIT: Also, I'd like to point out that Lethality really thrives when sticking with the main force. You should rarely be off soloing/duoing side nodes. In fact, you should rarely be in stealth, for that matter. I spend probably 90% of a WZ outside of stealth, because for Lethality, being in stealth means you are not doing DPS. Also, I am not a proponent of using Hidden Strike in almost all cases as Lethality, as it starts you out in melee range, when you should be starting out and range applying DoTs. Also, the time spent getting to melee range while stealthed, will result in less damage than if you just spent that time spamming rifle shot! (Forget the extra TA. The fact that Lethality has TA problems is a myth perpetuated by people playing/speccing the class wrong. The class already generates TA as fast as our energy regen can sustain. Any more TA, and we would simply not have the energy regen to utilize it)

Edited by MobiusZero

In the view of the experienced Lethality players, what are your good and bad matchups? One of the problems I have with this class is that Scrappers (the other Scoundrel DPS tree) seem to have better overall matchups than Lethality does. But that might be wrong, because I don't play the spec. You can check out my guide in my signature for a super-detailed explanation of the machups, but I will reproduce them here in order of easiest to hardest.

EASY:

Sorcerers

Arsenal/Healing Mercenaries

Snipers

MEDIUM:

Operatives

Juggernauts/Marauders (any spec)

HARD:

Sith Assassins

Pyrotechs

(NOTE: AP/ShieldTechs are not on my other list in my thread)

Does Lethality really improve any of those matchups? As I see it, and again, I might be totally wrong because I don't play the spec, here are the Lethality matchups:

EASY:

Sniper

Sorcerer

MEDIUM:

Arsenal Mercenaries (even if they cleanse DOTs they still have terrible damage)

Sith Warriors (any spec)

HARD:

Operatives (Evasion alone makes this fight brutal, not to mention the HOTs and Cleanses on healers)

Sith Assassins (Shroud is even worse for Lethality than it is for Scrappers)

Pyrotechs (Even if you have a "better" matchup against PTs than Scrappers, it still seems terrible)

Even though Lethality will ultimately put up a ton of damage over the course of a warzone, their overall usefulness in battle seems pretty diminished. They can't win some fights that other Operatives can win, and the harder matchups are made even worse. But as I said, I would love to hear a Lethality player discuss it from their perspective.

EDIT:

A few words in anticipation of the counter argument "But Lethality Ops shouldn't be doing matchups at all! They should avoid 1v1s, 2v2s, 1v2s, etc. entirely"!

Basically, 1v1s, 2v2s, and 1v2s happen a lot. Side node fights happen a lot (away from the main battle). Because of this, direct matchups are extremely important.

In a 1v1 I have no chance unless I get my hidden strike off first. Lethality Operatives in my opinion are better in the larger fights. I, personally, like to avoid 2v2's because of some of the reasons that you stated.

But, as another post said... we can stall and have some of the best escape mechanisms in the game. This makes us very good for buying our team some time. Many people forget that Operatives also have crouch! We can't be leaped to! If we get into trouble, we have a stun, a mezz, 2 slows, cleanse, and a 1.5 minute escape (vanish).

As an experienced Lethality player, I'd tell you that matchups, for this spec, are almost as unimportant to us, as they are to a healer.

If you are trying to beat classes in 1on1 fights, you are playing the class wrong. Lethality is a support DPS class, and does a damn good job at it. It does not, on the other hand, do as good of a job at 1vs1 fights. Most classes, if equally skilled as you, will have an advantage against you in a fair fight.

The best way to beat someone "1v1" as Lethality, is to run like a little girl, and return to shoot them in the back like a dirty dishonorable scoundrel.

+1 from a lethality brother

I am able to escape from every single class, with my spec.

Most people will give up trying to focus you, after they realize you are too squirrelly for them to kill to be worth it. Granted, there are those who focus you even more, because they are pissed off that you keep escaping them - But these types usually are a detriment to their team, as is anyone who is revenge-focusing (and happens rarely.). With proper use of CC, you can give 2 or 3 players a tough time catching you. And if you can keep even 2 people occupied with trying to kill you, you are a boon to your team. Also, in those instances where you just can't get away, you have your final get out of jail free card - Cloaking Screen.

But most people simply won't see you as a target worth the effort of chasing (or even focusing).

In a 1v1 I have no chance unless I get my hidden strike off first. Lethality Operatives in my opinion are better in the larger fights. I, personally, like to avoid 2v2's because of some of the reasons that you stated.

But, as another post said... we can stall and have some of the best escape mechanisms in the game. This makes us very good for buying our team some time. Many people forget that Operatives also have crouch! We can't be leaped to! If we get into trouble, we have a stun, a mezz, 2 slows, cleanse, and a 1.5 minute escape (vanish).

The problem with these responses, and most of the other responses I have seen to this question, is that they assume that enemies don't care about you. If no one is focusing you, then ANY class is going to dominate a warzone. An unchecked ANYTHING will be able to put out obscene damage numbers, and although that is probably more true of a DOT class than another class, the general principle applies to every spec. For players to let you free-fire into the WZ, they need to be either oblivious to your presence, not part of a premade that is communicating, or just plain bad.

Moreover, Lethality has some extremely loud, unique, and visually obnoxious animations. If anything this just makes it more likely you will get focused.

And all it takes is one enemy to make it his business killing you. One Marauder, one Sin, one Op, one PT, etc. If he forces the 1v1, then there is really nothing you can do to avoid it. All of those classes have just as many slows, stuns, roots, and speed boosts as Lethality Ops have (Except PTs, but you are never going to kill one of those things even if you can run). As long as just one guy is hunting you, they are not a detriment to their team. If anything that makes them an asset, because 1 person can keep a Lethality player from spreading around too many DOTs.

Of course, revenge-seekers are probably going to be too mad or overcommitted to rationally pursue you. They will be a detriment to their team. But then there is the calculated enemy who realizes that by hunting you he saves his team a lot of pain. I don't see how the Lethality op answers that threat.

Edited by ktkenshinx