Game Update 1.7 Developer Blog: Galactic Reputation

CourtneyWoods

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find your lack of originality disturbing Bioware. This just seems like a pointless time waster. While it does give a reason to revisit some places just doesn't seem to be all that exciting. Its nice to finally hear something else about this update but doesn't have that "wow! can't wait to play" factor, at least for me. How about the much asked for quality of life type updates that some of have been waiting for over a year for. I'd be happy with a patch that offers no new content but instead gives us Legacy Banks, a way of sharing resources between toons instead of logging in and out 100 times a night, maybe even gear on the cartel that doesn't cost a months subscription as it is.

I don't understand how these devs think this is ground breaking, systems like this have been in many games before, EQ2 and WoW to name 2.

We grind reps in WoW now as the end game mechanic for gear, mounts, etc. This isn't new. :cool:

Maybe _you_ do.

We don't all play / have-played WoW. I'm not looking for anything 'new' from the arena of all games, I only care about new in the context of SWTOR. Heck, if there was a good way to monetize it, there are some little slightly more "sand-boxy" things I'd like to steal from other games. If we didn't steal concepts from other games, we'd be developing 'pong'.

Edited by Jagrevi

I think the system has promise, but the content you're tying it to is horrid.

Section X, Heroic Space Missions, Voss heroics.... It's like you picked all the most annoying content to foist on us. :(

Personally, I like that they're tying it to a diverse range of different things. You don't need to do every one. Let all the factions be different in some way. I really hope that the Gree one is intentionally in the "Flag you for PvP" zone on Ilum, so that it's the "Open World PvP is a thing" faction (If you don't like it, there are a bunch of other factions to work for).

Would also be nice to see an actually set of 'warring' factions where you have to actually side with one as opposed to the Oblivion-style "I'm the master of the Fighter, Wizard, Theif AND Assassin's guilds all at the same time!" thing. The one disheartening thing about this blog post was that there was no Gormack faction to work for.

Edited by Jagrevi

Maybe you do.

We don't all play / have-played WoW. I'm not looking for anything 'new' from the arena of all games, I only care about new in the context of SWTOR. Heck, if there was a good way to monetize it, there are some little slightly more "sand-boxy" things I'd like to steal from other games. If we didn't steal concepts from other games, we'd be developing 'pong'.

There were those of us that got tired of the "same old" in WoW. SWTOR turned out to be nothing more than WoW in space and continues to be more so with each "new" thing added to SWTOR. I swear it's like that episode of south park where they had that kid going around saying "

" every time we turn around and see something "new" in SWTOR. :cool:

There were those of us that got tired of the "same old" in WoW. SWTOR turned out to be nothing more than WoW in space and continues to be more so with each "new" thing added to SWTOR.

I understand that, I'm certainly aware of the group, and you certainly are free to like or dislike any element of the game that you wish.

I just don't think "I thought this was a truck dealership and all you're selling here are these vans" is a reasonable complaint why something is a bad van.

The amount of Reputation Points you can earn with each organization is limited by a weekly cap which provides a natural endpoint for your Reputation Trophy collection each week.

Sorry, but this is CRAP. You're determined to make all players equal by the minimum.

- "I want the best gear without working hard and nightmare operations"

- Dont worry! here, your BiS in GTN!

- "Also, the best crafter"

- Steal recipes from GTN too if you want!

- MOMMY! That kid it's spending too much time and effort grinding reputation and I want the same NOW

- Prepare for FARMING CAP! BioWare decides how much time you need to play.

Seriously. Really? Really??? BioWare, please. If you're determined to ruin any kind of PvE competition at all. Make an announcement at say it clear. Say "WE DONT BELIEVE IN THE EFFORT-REWARD SYSTEM" "WE'RE COMMUNIST". And it's ok. But this is a joke. All our guild hopes were in the reputation system because we're grinding TFB HM and Denova Nighmare on Tuesdays, to gear our alters (our 2nd or 3rd alter i mean) and we need things to do. And now, you decide for us how much time we can play.

It's not fair and this is a mistake. You need to recalibrate your long-term strategy and you need to put a carrot in the stick to this game because every game needs to be competitive. Specially an MMO, the genre with the most pronounced effort-reward ecuation.

If you expect from us to stay quiet in the fleet, showing our fancy lasers, mounts and armor from Cartel Market. Just say it. I understand the casual way of life. But is not mine. Just say it.

I understand that, I'm certainly aware of the group, and you certainly are free to like or dislike any element of the game that you wish.

I just don't think "I thought this was a truck dealership and all you're selling here are these vans" is a reasonable complaint why something is a bad van.

Oh I know the van of which you speak. I find the current "industry standard" for "end game" content to be nothing more than "work". Any mindless grinding is "work". It is especially doubly so when while doing the same mindless task over and over and over again you are competing for limited resources with a bunch of other drones ( self included ) mindlessly doing the same task over and over again. Talk about a skinner box! Tbh the last time I had "fun" playing "end game" was in games that offer sand box style player created "content". Until the "next pre-cu SWG" comes along ( maybe "The Repopulation" ) we are stuck with the WoW clone theme parks ( which to me is nothing more than a leveling race game ). :cool:

Edited by Urael

Besides the Gree rep it's truly a menagerie of the most annoying content currently in the game. Section X is painful, Voss Heroics are all 4-man, and still annoying even at 50, and the heroic space missions only really work as intended with the grade 7 stuff. Think I'll pass on this until after the expansion hits and my characters are all 55.

And here's hoping for more varied ways of earning rep for future organizations.

There is a little teaste, "Throughout the galaxy, you will find Reputation Vendors associated with each organization. Special rewards with Reputation Rank requirements can be purchased from these vendors. Items and equipment with a Reputation Rank requirement can only be purchased, used, or equipped if you meet or exceed the rank requirement.

Yeah, I can't wait to see the junk they are selling on there for hundreds of thousands of credits, if not millions. :rolleyes: It's just like legacy; you don't earn rewards for gaining the ranks, you earn the "priviledge" to shell out millions of credits on stuff that isn't usually worth the cost. :(

Sorry, but this is CRAP. You're determined to make all players equal by the minimum.

- "I want the best gear without working hard and nightmare operations"

- Dont worry! here, your BiS in GTN!

- "Also, the best crafter"

- Steal recipes from GTN too if you want!

- MOMMY! That kid it's spending too much time and effort grinding reputation and I want the same NOW

- Prepare for FARMING CAP! BioWare decides how much time you need to play.

Seriously. Really? Really??? BioWare, please. If you're determined to ruin any kind of PvE competition at all. Make an announcement at say it clear. Say "WE DONT BELIEVE IN THE EFFORT-REWARD SYSTEM" "WE'RE COMMUNIST". And it's ok. But this is a joke. All our guild hopes were in the reputation system because we're grinding TFB HM and Denova Nighmare on Tuesdays, to gear our alters (our 2nd or 3rd alter i mean) and we need things to do. And now, you decide for us how much time we can play.

It's not fair and this is a mistake. You need to recalibrate your long-term strategy and you need to put a carrot in the stick to this game because every game needs to be competitive. Specially an MMO, the genre with the most pronounced effort-reward ecuation.

If you expect from us to stay quiet in the fleet, showing our fancy lasers, mounts and armor from Cartel Market. Just say it. I understand the casual way of life. But is not mine. Just say it.

Well said.

Boom! It's all about short term $$ and shinies in the CS now baby!

-And-

It boils down to "in a world where everyone is special; no one is" and grading with purple pen because "red can leave psychological scars". I blame my generation and the one before. :cool:

Edited by Urael

Oh I know the van of which you speak. I find the current "industry standard" for "end game" content to be nothing more than "work". Any mindless grinding is "work". It is especially doubly so when while doing the same mindless task over and over and over again you are competing for limited resources with a bunch of other drones ( self included ) mindlessly doing the same task over and over again. Talk about a skinner box! Tbh the last time I had "fun" playing "end game" was in games that offer sand box style player created "content". Until the "next pre-cu SWG" comes along ( maybe "The Repopulation" ) we are stuck with the WoW clone theme parks ( which to me is nothing more than a leveling race game ). :cool:

Oh I'd agree that I want to this game to move more in an early SWG direction. I just think that actually stating what it is you would rather have (like you just did) is a better argument than "this ain't new". As a parent my life experience has strongly conditioned me to believe that saying 'I want that' is alot more effective than saying 'I didn't want this'.

"This ain't new" wasn't the best version of your argument. "I want this game to seriously look at some of the positive aspects of early Galaxies" is an argument I can get behind.

Edited by Jagrevi

I'm hoping two things:

1.) Reputation is retroactive for completed quests.

2.) We're allowed to turn in trade goods (collected stuff, from missions like Investigation, Underworld Trading, etc) in exchange for reputation.

I'm hoping two things:

Unless they change there minds, it's not retroactive. BW said that in post 24.

2.) We're allowed to turn in trade goods (collected stuff, from missions like Investigation, Underworld Trading, etc) in exchange for reputation.

No clue on this one yet. It would be nice but for now given the info. we have, it's looking doubtful.

Edited by Quraswren

I'm hoping two things:

Agreed. :cool:

Different updates cater to different crowds. Sometimes a particular update won't bring anything new for you and it sucks. The reputation content we're getting here is aimed at the more casual/solo crowd who've been clamoring for more to do for ages. They're getting a personal grind that isn't about gear or valor. Good for them. The only thing they've gotten in ages was section X and that didn't even appeal to a lot of them.

I'd love to introduce those complaining that this is a recycled feature from other MMOs to the folks who keep complaining that features commonly found in other MMOs are missing from SWTOR. In a perfect world, the devs would be able to deliver all the "standard" features and innovative content at once at a faster pace than we can consume it. In reality, I expect we'll continue to see drips of both over time.

As long as new content is fully fleshed out, I'm not going to complain. I'll give it a try and if I determine it's not for me, I'll just stick to the other parts of the game that I enjoy until more content is inevitably delivered. I'm really only ever unsatisfied with content when a new feature is full of bugs and/or not fully implemented.

Thanks for the update BW and keep the features rolling.

Agreed. :cool:

This may very well just be something I'm entirely missing, but why would this be a good thing? Isn't this just the ability to purchase faction with credits? That doesn't seem like a positive thing to me. I'd rather have more systems largely removed from the given economy, so that I, you know, have things to do.

Honestly, and this is just my opinion, this game could really use more "Sandboxy" elements to keep me busy infinitely (Color unification was a step in the right direction here, because it's something you can spend hours 'fiddling' with, but even that 'ends'); until we get more ... "fiddly bits" ... I need things like faction to give me something to do. If I can just buy it with credits, I no longer have a justification to go do anything.

... because I'm not going to go do that same flashpoint again. I already 'did' that. I remember shooting "that guy" in the face. He's dead.

Edited by Jagrevi

This may very well just be something I'm entirely missing, but why would this be a good thing? Isn't this just the ability to purchase faction with credits? That doesn't seem like a positive thing to me. I'd rather have more systems largely removed from the given economy, so that I, you know, have things to do.

Honestly, and this is just my opinion, this game could really use more "Sandboxy" elements to keep me busy infinitely (Color unification was a step in the right direction here, because it's something you can spend hours 'fiddling' with, but even that 'ends'); until we get more ... "fiddly bits" ... I need things like faction to give me something to do. If I can just buy it with credits, I no longer have a justification to go do anything.

... because I'm not going to go do that same flashpoint again. I already 'did' that.

In WoW there is the ability to "find objects" throughout the world to gain rep in the new MoP system. Having the ability to "find" or "craft" said items would be analogous to the WoW system. Here in SWTOR you would be using the skills you have to work to raise in the game. The items shouldn't garner "hefty" rewards but should be large enough to help level 50s catch up to what they would have had if the system was in place while they were leveling. There are those here ( not me ) that have 8 level 50 on a server ( completed all the class stories) and may not be interested in grinding any more alts. If alt grinding is "the fastest" way other that "mindless repeat heroic mission X 4 x 10 ^ infinity times to grind rep then another system needs to be in place to take the edge off of that for people that have played the game as intended prior to this new system being implemented. :cool:

The very last thing this game required was a faction-grinding system, of all the many alternate progression systems out there in the MMO space this is by far the laziest dirtiest solution & it's so old boring & lacking in imagination..

Exactly.

This game already has enough exclusive vendor content. Each planet has its own currency (commendations) and associated vendor.

There is the social system currency and vendor along with the Legacy currency and vendor.

The last thing we need is another form of currency and vendor like this Rep system. I would prefer scrapping and unifying many of the other currencies as it is.