Clickers.

TwitchingFiber

Outside of my most important abilities which I use 1-6 or so for, I click. I've been a clicker since I've played MMOs, starting with DAoC. It's usually not a problem. If I were super into PvP then it would be, but for the most part I'm not. Clicking only really slows you down if you aren't able to reach your abilities within the GCD and I don't really find I have trouble moving my wrist an inch or so within 1-1.5 seconds.

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was top dps on my realm in WoW for 3 years. always a hardcore raider. I can click and keybind with the same results. in pvp yes keybind ur *** off. in pve however, do wat u want. i know personally i dont need to look at my action bars to know where my mouse is and the argument that keybinders are saying about how "you lose your focus looking at the actionbars." i hate to break it to u but thats bull. dont u guys look at it to see wats on cooldown? overall i support either and do not say that in a pve situation if u click u arent "hardcore/a good player". because id love to hear ur excuse as to how a clicker was out dpsing u "pros" all those years wow. I didnt even use macros. and yes ikno im going to be bashed on about how this isnt wow and blah blah but i find that this game is even easier to be a clicker in. (i actually currently keybind in swtor) hahahaha

Were you top necromancer on WoW forums too?

Thanks for sharing your wonderful incites on this long dead topic, totally worth it.

I actually disagree with the topic starter.

And why? I'll tell you why:

You see, while alot of abilities & spells may be faster to use when u bind them.

there's just no way, you can bind all the abilities within range of at least 1 of your hands.

For example: i've seen a vid in which someone ran out of keys to bind an ability on so he had to use a key combination. (For example: Shift + L) There's just no way clicking on it is slower then use those 2 keys together

So, what i'm basically saying: Yes, Keybinds may be faster but only up to a limit.

I actually disagree with the topic starter.

And why? I'll tell you why:

You see, while alot of abilities & spells may be faster to use when u bind them.

there's just no way, you can bind all the abilities within range of at least 1 of your hands.

For example: i've seen a vid in which someone ran out of keys to bind an ability on so he had to use a key combination. (For example: Shift + L) There's just no way clicking on it is slower then use those 2 keys together

So, what i'm basically saying: Yes, Keybinds may be faster but only up to a limit.

well said and proof of the fallacy of key binders being better. never misclicked a ability either. but show me someone who can type perfectly!

you are going to be bad no matter which method is used. exwow players need to understand this.

I'm a clicker. I've been playing MMOs and clicking since the beginning. I've tried keybinding for extended periods of time which does not feel comfortable for me for whatever reason. I only PvP in this game and on both melee and ranged toons. Melee is much more difficult but somehow I manage to be top medals and/or top DPS. I can see with peripheral vision what the enemy character is doing while I click allowing me to turn with the keyboard and strafe with the right click mouse button when needed. If prolonging strafing is required then I use mouse keybinds, but this is not very accurate for me.

Overall, people who are comfortable with keybinds do not understand how clickers can be comfortable with it. Could I be marginally better by doing keybinds? Possibility. But to what end? Is this Star Wars school in Korea where we lead a life of shame if we fail in the 2v2 tournament? Play the way you feel comfortable.

Well, I prrefer keybinds, but I most definitely don't use ALL keybinds. Some are just too impractical. Anything right of 7, is pretty much out of reach for me. So on skill bloated characters, the occasional skill placed on 8 or beyond (with or without modifier) will be clicked as it's simply faster and more tactful than letting movement go :p.

True about the seven thing, but there as so many combos that the further numbers are often not needed.

for me i have AOE attacks like sweep or force push as shift+spacebar

For attacks like maul or for cloak i have the center mouse button with or without shift

you have the typical: Q, E, R and F also x and z all can be used alone or with shift or with ctrl (though i never use control). So thats like 18 powers that can be activated near the WASD keys and with out the numbers at all.

The best i found is keep some consistancy. like F5 for me is always my CC breaker because its out of hte way but starts a whole new row so i know where it is immediatly, also i use ` as my interrupt for pretty much the same reason, I have shift+~ as my force cloak so i dont hit it by accident, because i dont want to DERP and reset a fight i was winning against a hard bad guy.

either way, i would not worry too much about keys past 7. Get away from the basic 1-0 set up and just put more stuff close to the button mashing hand. One to 5 is really i ever use from the numbers bar.

I just bought a mouse that has two side buttons on the side now, so i have 3 buttons, which means with shift/ctl i have nine powersthat i can activate with just the mouse alone. The mouse was from walmart and like twenty bucks (cheaper if you dont need wireless, but I play on my TV so sit far away)

• 4 months later...

Keybindings are my best friend. I only click abilities that I very rarely use or only use out of combat.

You have to get used to keybindings, but if you still don't like them after giving them an honest chance, I don't really know what to say. Be a clicker, I guess, but I don't really understand it. It feels stressful to me.

The bad thing about SWTOR is that it has ability bloat to the point where I've struggled to find new keys for my keybindings.

Edited by thecoffeecup

Pro tip: Until you want to start paying my subscription, MYOB

At the end, all comes to that. I could not care less about how people play, really. Yo can be a clicker for all I care, as long as you get the job done.

In my case, I started as a clicker on my first character, but then I tried to become a keybinder, but doing it in a regular keyboard proved to be a HELL for me, I don't navigate by memory through the keys and I had to turn to my keyboard to see the keys I needed to press, it was a mess.

I had to buy a gaming mouse (Naga Molten razor) with the 1-12 keys built in the mouse, to actually start keybinding, and since then, I play just like I played DCUO on PS3, with a lot of skills that I activate just by moving my thumb on the mouse. My play improved tremendously, now the only thing I worry is to actually get to know all my skills and battlefield, in other words, enjoying the game. I still put some skills on the left side bar, and I have to resort to clicking, but it's not very frequent.

Well, this has been fun. But... it doesn't matter, not one bit. What matters is the end result. I play with some clickers. A couple of our guilds best healers are clickers and they are great to say the least. No one needs to tell them how to play.

Besides, it is all situational, yes, for both PvP and PvE. Knowing what to click and when is more important than using a keystroke.

I am not a clicker. I find keybindings easier. But I'm also not going to tell clickers not to click. Do whatever works for you. The end result is the key. And from what I've seen, there are some ****** clickers out there that can hold their own with anyone.

• 1 month later...
Well, this has been fun. But... it doesn't matter, not one bit. What matters is the end result. I play with some clickers. A couple of our guilds best healers are clickers and they are great to say the least. No one needs to tell them how to play.

Besides, it is all situational, yes, for both PvP and PvE. Knowing what to click and when is more important than using a keystroke.

I am not a clicker. I find keybindings easier. But I'm also not going to tell clickers not to click. Do whatever works for you. The end result is the key. And from what I've seen, there are some ****** clickers out there that can hold their own with anyone.

It was never really a matter if you CAN play good as a clicker or not. The discussion is more aimed towards how much better you can get by switching to keybindings.

It was never really a matter if you CAN play good as a clicker or not. The discussion is more aimed towards how much better you can get by switching to keybindings.

Yes, this! Everyone seems to like comparing ppl with eachother, when they should be comparing individual performance. I dont really care if ppl click or not but claiming that it does not matter seems stupid.

In pvp u can often spot a clicker, the most obvious tell is when I try to keep my eyes on their back. Turning to fire off a spell just takes more time for them. U first need to use your mouse to turn and then move it into position to click. I prefer to have my spells ready to fire at all times and not use my mouse for multitasking turning and execution.

Yes, this! Everyone seems to like comparing ppl with eachother, when they should be comparing individual performance. I dont really care if ppl click or not but claiming that it does not matter seems stupid.

In pvp u can often spot a clicker, the most obvious tell is when I try to keep my eyes on their back. Turning to fire off a spell just takes more time for them. U first need to use your mouse to turn and then move it into position to click. I prefer to have my spells ready to fire at all times and not use my mouse for multitasking turning and execution.

Game has auto turn. So you can play this game by clicking easier than other MMOs for an example WoW.

But that does not change the fact that keybinding is still better and will improve your performance.

And lets not forget those who have to click because of a disability. There's a chap who plays WoW and clicks for his life because he has no other choice.

Just because someone can keybind, doesnt make them an instant pro.

I dunno how to answer this :p

The guy in wow would probably not become pro from using binds, no. Did someone suggest that klicking should be taken out of the game? Cause I havent been here for the whole thread

Edited by Beeteel

Game has auto turn. So you can play this game by clicking easier than other MMOs for an example WoW.

But that does not change the fact that keybinding is still better and will improve your performance.

I know about this and it really seems like a pain to use :p. Also its not about autorun, its about turning and being ready to use your spell while u do it. Only way I see that being easier while not binding is if u keyboardturn, but that comes with a complete set of its own drawbacks

Edited by Beeteel

Keybinds are important ... but clicking in a game with global cooldowns is exactly the same FYI.

If your talking about instant click its the same if its a button or a mouse over. I do both personally i use keys 1-6 easily (played piano i can hit 8 without moving my fingers from movement keys very much) and to be honest 90% of my rotation fits in those keys including my interupts.

anything else like shield bubble on my sorc or DFA on my merc or Dark Ward on my Assassin tank or drop into cover on my sniper ..... they dont need key binds ... i use them the second they are up in part of my rotation.

There is this moronic belief that you have to A) Look at the boss your fighting while your fighting it and B) that every power on 4 hot bars has to be on a key bind .. that you absolutely cannot play this game competitively without a naga game pad ..... sorry to tell you i use a 4 button mouse and a G14(unsupported) keyboard.

I do competitive PVP and Have beat HM TFB (as a guild we havent started EC NiM) .... I am no where near the bottom of our DPS scale usually competing with Powertechs on my sniper in lethality spec. I am never the guy who is standing in red circles so he can click a power with a long channel.

Sorry to say it ... the Clickers suck argument .... is proven wrong every time i get into raid party and pvp match.

Lol, lethality SHOULD be OUT DPS'ing powertechs, since it's a DOT spec, keybinding is far faster with better mobility.