Clickers.

TwitchingFiber

It is how you as a player can improve yourself so you can increase your results as a player and enjoy the game more in both PVE and especially PVP.

Don't get so serious over a video game dude...it's a minor/minimal/non issue...do what you like, play what suits you. This is an extremely casual game.

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clickers suck

Buy a naga create macros and your golden.

People who say other people suck because of the way they do something as trivial as play a computer game suck. How about "I don't like the way that guy pressed the pedestrian crossing button. He sucks."

Edited by branmakmuffin

People who say other people suck because of the way they do something as trivial as play a computer game suck. How about "I don't like the way that guy pressed the pedestrian crossing button. He sucks."

Everyone knows you don't PRESS the button - too many germs - you tap it with your elbow.

Everyone knows you don't PRESS the button - too many germs - you tap it with your elbow.

Heh. Some are hard to press though and could cause bruising. Naga should come out with some over priced elbow pads.

Edited by Rafaman

I subscribe to this as well. But if it's one of the old style small buttons, the elbow is not a good option. If I'm wearing long sleeves, I'll pull the sleeve over my finger. Of course the best option is to let someone else do it (if available).

I subscribe to this as well. But if it's one of the old style small buttons, the elbow is not a good option. If I'm wearing long sleeves, I'll pull the sleeve over my finger. Of course the best option is to let someone else do it (if available).

:: wave ::

:csw_vader: "You want to push that filthy button for me."

Some people just don't care about that stuff. Watch the next time you are on an escalator and see how many people put their bare hands right smack-dab on that filthy rubber hand rail.

Why I buy little Purell bottles in bulk at Sam's Club with Proper Avoidance Procedures :rak_01:.

Edited by Joesixxpack

So I've been checking a few swtor streams out lately, I've just recently come back from a long long break, 7+ months. I've decided to just re-level a whole new class to fully get back into the game.

So yeah, I'm amazed on how many clicker there are in this game...99% of them clickers are complaining about something, mainly because they got outplayed, or were just too slow because of clicking spells instead of actually using keybinds.

Just a helpful hint, aka PROTIP, for everyone who clicks spells you are limiting yourself on how well/fast you are it would be more beneficial to you if you practiced using ALL keybinds (Well not all, but you get the point.) Watch videos, re-level a new class just to practice how you like your keybinds.

I know someone is going to post "I click and I don't have any issues" "I click and I know it's faster than keybinds" Well, you're wrong. Once you practice keybinding you will realize what you're missing out on. Also, once you get the hang of it, you will see a dramatic increase in your performance.

Also, while clicking you are spending time looking at your spells more than you are looking at whats going on around you. You lose some awareness while clicking.

Moral of the story clickers, please practice keybinding. It will help you out tremendously. :p

Love,

Twitchypoo

EDIT: This is a great post from a someone who clicks, with many great points. Can't really argue with this.

Quote: Originally Posted by Ooloi

Keybinding is a consequence of using mouse movement. Mouse movement is more efficient and particularly for melee in pvp provides a serious advantage over keyboard turning.

If you are using mouse movement, then you can continuously move around people who are trying to keyboard turn and click while you are spamming some number of keybinds, getting behind them.

Some people don't realize that while in PvE if you run behind something and then click it will still allow you to attack the creature without turning to face them, but in PvP you must be facing them. Anyone who can move out of the angle of your range of attack and keep moving can hit you constantly while you're trying to adjust and even 1-3 global cooldowns can mean you're dead and they're not.

Step one is to stop using left and right turns and only use left and right strafe. Step two is to not use the back-up key for movement in pvp. Step 3 is to starting using the mouse to move forward (you can click both right and left buttons simultaneously to move foward. Step 4 is to keybind some essential melee skills to keys that you can easily hit while you are moving around them.

The idea of starting a new character and learning to run around someone in a tight circle while hitting even a few basic keybound keys is a good one. How much you keybind after that is up to an individual's skill and reflexes.

I click, mostly, always have. In PvE it doesn't really matter in this game. In PvP, if you are melee it becomes essential when you are playing against so many people who do use mouse movement and keybinding, unless you just like to lose. I myself have a new character where I'm learning all this. My ranged characters in PvP have allowed me to be accepted amongst those of my peers who are better than I, but my melee post 50pvp toon is pretty awful and it impacts my dps and my ability to support my team.

Being open to new concepts and improvements in your play is a good thing. Sure, it's "just" a game, but it's fun to be competent, and allows most people to have a better time while they play.

with the GCD bug, the lag bugs, the up to 2 second cool downs and a 1800ms gcd ... mouse clicking works for most folks.

i agree if your a HC pvp'er binds are the way. but for 99% of this faceroll game... clicking is fine.

I'm not a fan of hand sanitizers. But that's me.

I wouldn't say I'm a "fan" of hand sanitizers, but it beats chancing that I grab the shopping cart in the grocery store that some little germ infested, nose mining, snot dripping ankle biter was sucking on. Purel wipes and my ever handy bottle of sanitizer, allows me to shop in peace.

I wouldn't say I'm a "fan" of hand sanitizers, but it beats chancing that I grab the shopping cart in the grocery store that some little germ infested, nose mining, snot dripping ankle biter was sucking on. Purel wipes and my ever handy bottle of sanitizer, allows me to shop in peace.

+1

This is why I am huge fan of my own cloth bags for the loads that do not require a cart :)

Edited by captpickles

with the GCD bug, the lag bugs, the up to 2 second cool downs and a 1800ms gcd ... mouse clicking works for most folks.

i agree if your a HC pvp'er binds are the way. but for 99% of this faceroll game... clicking is fine.

Yep,

I used to be a clicker and would argue anyone that it has no impact from switching. What most people don't realize is that it's more of an awareness and maneuverability thing than how quick you can click the abilities.

How quick you click your abilities will most probably not be affected in comparison. But being able to keep your eye on the entire game as well as being able to maneuver that slight bit more better will show its results at the end of the match.

You are wrong. There are no such macros in WoW since the introduction of global cooldowns.

But to prove me wrong you could always show me a macro like that.

I haven't played a day of WoW since SWTOR came out so I really don't know much of what has changed with the panda xpac. But a quick look at a macro site I came up with a couple one button macros,

http://worldofmacros.com/wow-macros/paladin-macros/ret-paladin-dps-boost.html

http://worldofmacros.com/wow-macros/rogue-macros/premeditation-shadowstep-ambush.html

I don't know if this meets your criteria and really don't care because you skimmed through my post and picked out one small piece that you thought you could find fault with while sidestepping and totally ignoring the meaning of my post.

i am a clicker. i do not complain when i die in a warzone, sometimes you die and sometimes you are invincible. thats just the way it goes

This.

I click, and I don't care who knows. I would not enter a WZ with a pure DPS class (sentinel/marauder), as admittedly they were likely made with PvP keybinding in mind, but every other class I play, including Operatives and Shadows, I am almost never in the bottom half of the end-of-the-match chart, and quite often near the top. Someone can say 'they are trying to help me get better', but I see two issues with that statement.

One, help me get better against whom? Against keybinders who have scores that are less than mine? I'm supposed to worry about that? Really? In a few years, this game will likely go the way of The Matrix Online and City of Heroes, and all the SWTOR 'improvement' won't amount to a hill of beans.

Second, I am, as a habit, suspicious of people who 'just want to help'. Now, if they said 'I want you to learn a way that makes you a better PvP fighter, because I don't want you losing games when I'm on your team', I would accept that argument for its intellectual honesty. I want people to do well when it's my tush about to be pulsed down in AHG, but matches on other servers, or even ones on my own where I'm not participating or one of my guildies isn't involved? Not interested, don't care, and I'll giggle like Manson on meth if anyone says they do.

Unless it's a friend, a family member, or online - a guildie, I know that no one really gives a rodent's rump about anyone else. In the end, all but those folk will know us (at best) as a splash of ink in an obituary, before moving on to the sports page.

I hav'nt read this entire post, just the first few. I'd just like to share my own personal experiences. I have played the full realm of clicker/keybind, full keyboard, Hybrid. And now fully keybound. I will say what I explain in the following took time and if you attempt it, your brain will tell you to give up. But if you don't... your enjoyment, skill level, and awareness will increase greatly.

I started playing MMO's as a clicker, the concept of keybinding was foreign to me. The only keys I used were 1,2,3,4 etc. up to 0. I played this way for years, I even played one MMO completely off of the keyboard. (Yes a full blown keyboard turner). Everything changed for me just short of SWTOR beta or around that time...

I watched a video made by a player named Tulgrim, he was explaining how he keybinds and made a very informative video that made a lot of sense. The video was based out of a game I did'nt play, but fundamentally the concepts transfer to any game that allows you to customize your keybindings. I will say this and emphasize it later, this concept changed the entire way I play MMO's completely, it improved my PvP skill tremendously.

So what I decided to do is to force myself to completely rearrange the way I looked at keybindings and force myself to re-learn how to play MMO's. The first thing I did was change from a WASD configuration to what I knew to be comfortable from learning how to type in school. So I changed to ASDF (where you are taught to hold to type w/o looking).

So my movement keys went from W (Forward) A (Strafe Left) S (Backwards) D (Strafe Right) to just this...

S (Strafe Left) F (Strafe Right) I Freed up W for a hot-key and A for a hot key. I then learned better (I had used the mouse for movement some) how to use the mouse completely for movement, and eliminated key-bindings (as fore mentioned) that involve forward or backward movement.

The next thing was to look at what I call 'real estate' (term for what keys are within comfortable reach of my left hand) is now opened up. For me that was this...

Q, W, E, R, T

A,D,G

Z,X,C V

And two mouse keys (one center top and one side) And the second side button for auto-run)

That makes a total of 20 hot keys, more was needed for me (I Find with all my characters 36 hot keys seems to be enough). I had some practice with Alt and Shift and was somewhat comfortable using those keys. So I was able to generate about 14-16 more hot-keys using those.

Remember you can use Alt+(Any letter) or Shift+(Any letter). Makes those easy to reach letter keys a good keybind option.

Emphasizing again, and a TLDR summation - Fully Keybinding changed my entire outlook on MMO and competitive PvP and my enjoyment factor in MMO's is a direct result of forcing myself to change how I looked at key binding.

Edited by MyDominion

I haven't played a day of WoW since SWTOR came out so I really don't know much of what has changed with the panda xpac. But a quick look at a macro site I came up with a couple one button macros,

http://worldofmacros.com/wow-macros/paladin-macros/ret-paladin-dps-boost.html

http://worldofmacros.com/wow-macros/rogue-macros/premeditation-shadowstep-ambush.html

I don't know if this meets your criteria and really don't care because you skimmed through my post and picked out one small piece that you thought you could find fault with while sidestepping and totally ignoring the meaning of my post.

None of those macros casts dots at all and none of those is using more than one ability in a single global cooldown.

I skimmed through your post because your based your entire post that WoW is different from this game because in WoW you could cast multiple spells at the same time using a macro.

But you can't and as the macros you have shown you still can't the only thing you can do is setup a sequence of abilities on a single button that you press multiple times to keep up a rotation.

And that is a very dumb thing to do in PVP since your enemy will change tactics, movement so you won't be able to do rotations.

My point is still valid from the post you quoted the first time. The basics in this game is the very same as the basics in WoW. The combat is no different in the core.

The only difference macro wise is that in WoW you can make macros to cast specific spells at focus target and similar and in SWTOR you need to target your enemy with mouse and do that manually.

And in this case if you are a clicker you won't be able to quickly change target to healer and interrupt since you will be clicking away.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for telling me how to play my game. Now please teach me how to eat my food?

Ok,

First cut up bits small enough to fit easily into your mouth.

Second using a fork, put said bits into your mouth.

Third Chew firmly, medical experts say chew about thirty to fifty times per mouthful, personally I chew until it's soft enough to swallow.

Fourth, swallow food, taking care not to choke.

Fifth Repeat.

Please note some ingenuity is need to use this method with soup.

I click, and I do just fine.

I've clicked for far too long to stop now.

Do I strictly click? Absolutely not, I hyrid, I have a handful of key abilities bound but othewise I click. I awsd durn AND mouse turn. I tab target and mouse target.

Could I do better if I did 100% kebind, probably, but I seem to get by more than fine doing hybrid of click and key.

I will concede that good players who efficiently keyind have a slight edge over those who dont, but there are plenty of bad key bind players just as their are plenty of bad clickers.

Clickers are easily disguised if you are skilled at the game, your class, and have a good connection, good PC, and good reaction time. Many of my in game friends were floored when I Told them I 60/40 click.