Phantom and Spymaster gear changes

Karaiblis

Whatever it was meant to be is besides the point, ppl bought the item and built outfits based on how it looks in game, not how it looks on a small picture most ppl didn't even pay attention to. These outfits are now ruined, I myself am out several million credits through this change which, from the numerous posts that have been made, a large amount of ppl are unhappy with. I now have to try and find a new look that I like and spend another few million credits on that.

How about you think of another persons point of veiw for a change.

How about you look at this From me, and all the happy players contempt with the final fix who are unaware of whats fighting on the forums.

This is what its all meant to look like, the picture is and was the very first ADVERTISMENT of the set, not the in-game look, but the very first one advertised. That is what it is supposed to be. Look at the CS forums spanning since the BB pack came out, Hundreds. complained on incorrect values on the items. Its finally fixed and while we try to rejoice people are crying their agent isn't in full black anymore or their smuggler doesn't look like Catwoman from the new batman anymore.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I know you just bought your car sir, but the manufacture insists we recall it and put fins on the back. No you don't have a choice as we are towing your car to the dealership now. What? You didn't get the newsletter we sent to everyone? Well thats just too bad. Enjoy the big fins on your new car you just bought."

The only way this analogy works is if the car was originally advertised to have fins.

But I think you left that out. ;)

I dont spend my time on troll infested forums, I spend it PLAYING THE GAME I PAY FOR. I bought the items in game, there should have been an announcement in game, or I should get my gear, or my money back. Simple. I do read in game announcements, such as the speeder piloting one that they did make.

Then just read the dev tracker and you avoid the trolls 100%.

I don't see the issue.

It doesn't matter what percentage of people visit the forums. If they put it on the launcher do you think people would read it? Probably not

Well I know -I- read the patch notes. And a lot of people do to pass the time while the game is patching, since it's conveniently there anyway. It's how I know that the cartel market version of Speeder Piloting 1 was incorrectly labeled as being account-wide, because the warning was there, on the patcher. Yes, you'll never get EVERYONE to read and heed the warnings, but at least when you give people a fair chance to do so, they can't complain. The launcher is there for everyone since you need it to, you know, launch the game. The forums are not needed, so people don't bring those up before starting to play.

Agreed. Two of my characters' outfits were based around the Phantom and Spymaster chestpieces and now they both look ridiculous. I spent cash money on these things. I used the preview item pane to test the looks and after finally tracking down two of the few cool looking suits in the game, suits without hideous shoulderpads, hoods or glowing baubles, Bioware "fixes" them by making them ugly. Either give me back my money or revert the suits to the original design and issue a new shoulder-pad fugly version, if you absolutely have to have more crap armor in your game. I've spent a ****-load of money on the cartel coins up until this point and I was all ready to go buy more of the new packs today, but guess, what? Not any more. With no guarantee Bioware won't just up and redesign the look of something I bought BECAUSE IT LOOKED THAT WAY, why would I waste money (or credits for that matter) on their in-game items?

This. Verbatim, all points. Blew all of my cartel coins trying to get both of these on random drop, then a ton of credits finally buying them on market. Not to mention what it's going to cost to pull my mods if this is a permanent change. I feel inclined not to play at all until this is addressed.

The only way this analogy works is if the car was originally advertised to have fins.

What about the people that bought it from a used car lot? IE THE GTN. Ya, those people got royally screwed didn't they?

Since we love to compare SWTOR to food here, I would like to point out that when I get something I didn't order in a restaurant they usually say, "Sorry, you can keep what we brought you and we will give you what you actually ordered at no extra charge." If they are really good they will give me a 10% discount on the entire bill. (Okay, that last one rarely happens.)

What they should do is create two items for each current item, one with extra stuff and one without. Give everyone that has currently purchased the items both. Then list them separately in the Cartel Market.

Everyone happy!

Actually, what you are saying, is this:

1) The "car" was originally advertised in concept art as having fins

2) It was sold for months without fins

3) Now we are going to bolt fins on whether you want them or not because is what the artists concept showed

I think that if the item was so messed up that they were going to make radical changes that completely changed the design and look they should have removed it from the game until it was fixed.

Since we love to compare SWTOR to food here, I would like to point out that when I get something I didn't order in a restaurant they usually say, "Sorry, you can keep what we brought you and we will give you what you actually ordered at no extra charge." If they are really good they will give me a 10% discount on the entire bill. (Okay, that last one rarely happens.)

What they should do is create two items for each current item, one with extra stuff and one without. Give everyone that has currently purchased the items both. Then list them separately in the Cartel Market.

Everyone happy!

I'd even be happy with only getting one piece of gear and having the choice which, no one has their stuff taken away in this senario. Win win.

It's no about if it was rigth or wrong now, it's about WHY people bought it. I bought the phantom for the old look, HATE the new one. HATE it. Augment kits and everything all wasted on it now. What needs to be done is revert everything to the old version then, rename and re-release the current versions into the game Solves BOTH problems. I don't see why more people can't see this.

That must've been the 5% who complained before this change. The truth is, the Phantom and Spymaster sets were NOT complained about. Some complaints were made about the Preceptor set, which I understand since those looked rather bland compared to the advertised image, and the Revan set, which not only didn't look like the picture, but also didn't look in any way like previous appearances of Revan, both from TOR and from previous games, novels and comics. But, I didn't see a single complaint about the Phantom set "not looking as advertised". If there were any, they were VERY few. Instead, in its original released state, it was in HIGHER demand even than the Revan set. In its current downgraded state, it won't be in demand. Even the new red bikini is more preferable. It's saving grace to keep the GTN price for the current Phantom piece somewhat afloat will probably be the extremely low supply. 30k max.

So for the Phantom outfit, it's the advertisement that should've been changed, NOT the Phantom set itself!

Doesn't matter who complained about what whether it was one, both or all 3, the Preceptor and Phantom were incorrect based on the representation on the cartel pack. Revan's lower robe was simply incorrect in it's design. Buying it solely based on the GTN is one's own ignorance to the fact that the item design is potentially incorrect. Just looking at the pack anyone can tell that they items are obviously wrong in in-game design.

However according to Joveth, not even Joveth knows which is supposed to be intended as correct because obviously one or the other is wrong and it would have to be the in-game design because people who bought the cartel pack at some point or another were buying it based off what the pack photo displayed. First it's oh sorry this was unintentional then it's oh wait let me see which is supposed to be right and get back. The most critical issue is the person who paid money for the cartel pack and got an armor set that doesn't look like what's represented which for all purposes comes down to false advertising and grounds for disputing the charges if not remedied while buying off the GTN is irrelevant.

If you're so insistent on having the Phantom chestguard be such a puffy shouldered monstrosity, then fine, but those of us who like the sleeker version (sans poofyness) should at least be given the choice to have the sleek version.

BioWare has nothing better to do than randomly changing existing outfits!?

What are they thinking?

A player opens the Cartel Shop (or the GHN) and uses the preview. He likes whats shown to him. He buys the phantom outfit (or just one piece) BECAUSE HE LIKES IT IN THE PREVIEW!

And now? Bioware: Oh it does not look like the picture in the market, let's change it. (Why not change this image in market?) We think people bought it because of this picture and we are sure they hope it will change some day to that style.

Really!? Is this BioWares idea why people buy the phantom outfit? Because they expect it to change to something else, differnt from the preview.

Is this whats happening in the meetings in Austin? Having stupid ideas what could be changed, without the need to be changed.

If someone did not like the old phantom, he did not buy it as ist was.

Make a new outfit with the new style, but don't change peoples stuff.

Edited by discbox

Doesn't matter who complained about what whether it was one, both or all 3, the Preceptor and Phantom were incorrect based on the representation on the cartel pack. Revan's lower robe was simply incorrect in it's design. Buying it solely based on the GTN is one's own ignorance to the fact that the item design is potentially incorrect. Just looking at the pack anyone can tell that they items are obviously wrong in in-game design.

However according to Joveth, not even Joveth knows which is supposed to be intended as correct because obviously one or the other is wrong and it would have to be the in-game design because people who bought the cartel pack at some point or another were buying it based off what the pack photo displayed. First it's oh sorry this was unintentional then it's oh wait let me see which is supposed to be right and get back. The most critical issue is the person who paid money for the cartel pack and got an armor set that doesn't look like what's represented which for all purposes comes down to false advertising and grounds for disputing the charges if not remedied while buying off the GTN is irrelevant.

And just how is it obvious that the items in-game are wrong? There is NOTHING that says the black robe shown on the cartel pack CONCEPT ART picture is the Phantom chest that you think looks great. Is there?

While the OP is right (the armor was obviously intended as an Inq-looking armor set - I mean, just look at it...) what Bioware did wrong is allowing it to exist in that form for as long as it did. On a side note, and I'm not trying to play the Devil's advocate here, but even the "wrong" design did look like an inq set even without the Revan's-robes-looking thing on top - I personally think it looked a lot like the Dark Acolyte's robes without the always-down hood.

People at first were surprised that it wasn't as advertised but many of them actually liked the look. And you know why? Because not everyone likes the pointy or flashy or, simply put, weird-looking stuff that Bioware seems to love so much. Some wanted just a black chest to be able to unify the color of the rest of their armor with, for a total black look.

What's wrong about it, other than the fact that they didn't fix it the next day to save themselves from so much grief, is that they changed it disregarding the fact that it was a very popular design that people wanted to have and that people have been wearing for 2-3 weeks now.

I think that in this particular case they should let people choose what they want, by giving them the chance to exchange their armor for the new one. If that's too much of a hassle (reverting back to the old design), then maybe an option to buy back the old one via in-game vendor would be a good idea.

Seems the only way out since both sides have valid points... yes, I will reluctantly allow the fluff-and-shoulderpads group that they have valid points. I will point out you should NEVER buy anything without viewing it in the preview though and make your actual purchase decision based on that.

That's what I did, I judged by the preview window and I LOVED what I saw there. I'd searched for weeks for a good look for my assassin. I finally came across the awesome combination of the Phantom chest with the Spymaster pants. it was perfect. Then I talked about it and showed my guildies. Some of them gifted me with pieces. Others like the concept so much they did it for their characters. Those three things, the creation, the gifts and the others who did it made that look mean a lot to me.

Then I logged in today and found... omgah, my dismay was HUGE. But enough rambling on my reaction.

The obvious way out so that everyone gets what they believe they were promised is to split the gear sets and get us into our preference. It wont be easy and would take time, but I truly hope Bioware can find a way to make it happen in a timely fashion.

I can't help but be hopeful that the interest in this topic will wake up the armor designers, who love using reskins rather than coming up with new designs, to what a huge interest the game population has in their gear designs with out all the crap tacked on. How awesome would it be to have so many options for much of the genuinely nice looking gear avaiable once stripped of all the crud? And they dont need new designs, just strip a few gewgaws, sell tons of gear. WINNING.

It's no about if it was rigth or wrong now, it's about WHY people bought it. I bought the phantom for the old look, HATE the new one. HATE it. Augment kits and everything all wasted on it now. What needs to be done is revert everything to the old version then, rename and re-release the current versions into the game Solves BOTH problems. I don't see why more people can't see this.

This is the point we all keep circling back around to. Many a person was extremely fond of the pre-existing look. Those that did not like the sleek first iteration and desired instead a sith-robe like variation are very unlikely to have purchased one just on the off chance it gets fixed, meaning the vast majority of those who already have the item prefer to original version while those who are partial to the new 'fixed' one most likely were not already wearing it.

This means that it would have made more sense to introduce a new robe-like one rather than adjust the existing. This serves both playerbases and casts the widest net while adding just one more item for folks to wish to spend coinage on.

At this point it doesn't matter what it "should" look like. Many people bought the packs because of the look on the picture (the "fixed" set) and many other people bought the gear because of the item preview (the "broken" set).

As I see it, the only way to fix this issue is to have both appearances in the game and give people the possibility to exchange one for the other.

This. Both groups have valid reasons why they would want / demand the set to look like they were made to believe.

Ironically I based my decision on the preview, because I thought the picture wasn't necessarily correct...

Yeah you wanna run with that analogy? Ok lets run with it. MOST cars original concept art -vs- the actual vehicle that makes it into production, don't match up. Yet people buy the car at the car lot, based off the look of the vehicle in the car lot (preview), not off the original concept art. Sorry. but, you lose in the analogy department. Have a nice day.

Edited by Saitada

No,"WE" weren't told about this otherwise thousands of phantom chests would not have sold for several hundred thousand credits on the GTN. No one knew of any changes coming to this piece except those reading every entry in a specific forum out of the thousands and thousands of forums

Right here to be exact is where they acknowledge it incorrect.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=5569050#edit5569050

How about you look at this From me, and all the happy players contempt with the final fix who are unaware of whats fighting on the forums.

This is what its all meant to look like, the picture is and was the very first ADVERTISMENT of the set, not the in-game look, but the very first one advertised. That is what it is supposed to be. Look at the CS forums spanning since the BB pack came out, Hundreds. complained on incorrect values on the items. Its finally fixed and while we try to rejoice people are crying their agent isn't in full black anymore or their smuggler doesn't look like Catwoman from the new batman anymore.

So, because YOU like the new look, everyone who paid for the old look is SOL?

Have you never heard "actual product may differ from pictures"?

As to some of your previously quoted threads:

Quote: Originally Posted by Sanctioned View Post

The images of content and armor on the cartel packs are in-game images, not some graphic cartoon hand-made drawing of an artist's "representation".

Get over it. The in-game was finally fixed to appear as intended.

Quote: Originally Posted by Sanctioned View Post

You're trying to make this really really difficult, aren't you?

They have been fixed so they are as advertised on the cartel pack stock photos.

The in-game "Preview" function only showed the broken version, not the intended stock photo version.

Wrap your head around it.

This person has is totally wrong. If the picture on the cartel pack stock photos was the in game image, then why did it look that way in game? The preview image was the actual in game look. You bought the armor based on the picture on the box, but a lot of people bought the armor after actually trying it on to see what it would look like. Is it fair to them those that actually took the time to try the armor on to change it on them?