Swtor mods

Aikes_Itso

I am going to jump in purely because I feel like releasing a rant:

The types of addons that are required would be those that are necessary to down content which requires a certain amount of performance, skill and gear levels.

I like that we finally have some combat logging. Although a gear score addon and an armory would be fantastic. One that lets us know if a players gear meets the minimum requirements for an encounter. Are they fully modded? Have they been augmented?

Let me also mention to those that believe skill > gear ... while this may be true in many situations

Let me explain:

I decided to switch from tanking to my warlock in WoW when we formed an alliance with another guild for 25 man raiding. I had leveled and geared in a week. However I was EXTREMELY behind my fellow dpsers in gear. Even with that in mind I walked in and pulled off spot 3 on the meters out of 18 dpsers. (I have logs posted on WoL to drive my point if needed)

Does this mean that skill > gear? no it doesn't... I use a pen and paper, a calculator and simcraft to optimize my character.

If the minimum dps for a fight happens to be 100k to beat an enrage timer and a computer simulation playing PERFECTLY with PERFECTLY optimized gear can only squeeze 90k from your gear set... What makes you think that your skill is going to some how leak through osmosis into your keyboard and travel down the great galactic information highway and empower your character do to more then it physically can?:eek:

For this reason alone... having the ability to quickly inspect who you are grouping with is required... for this reason alone having the ability to monitor your fellow raiders is necessary. If some one can't pull their weight then they need to come back when they can. period! (there isn't an argument in the world that will change my mind on this, its a mathematical fact)

If we're playing a game however that doesn't require minimum gear levels and performance levels... then where is the challenge and motivation to do better? Where is the enjoyment in end game content?

Usually those that dislike addons for this reason have had their feelings hurt because they jumped in over their head into content they simply didn't understand and weren't prepared for with a group of players that did. (Wow you may say, what a dick!) Really, its your own fault if this was you, everyone has the ability to find out requirements, strategies and information regarding their characters... It is all out there, some are just too proud, lazy, incompetent, don't care or what have you to go out and find it and actually use and practice it. If this is you then find a group that has the same attitude, don't use the addons... but just because you can't hack it... don't bring the rest of us down that can. :p

If you think that a gear set isn't required to survive and perform then show me the calculation for a character clearly under-geared for a fight that can some how meet the minimum requirements for that fight and I'll move onto a post about how minimum requirements for fights by swtor are false.

Before I leave... in my defense:

Addons and macros should NOT:

-move the character

-use character abilities automatically

-Auto-queue

-Auto accept invites, trades

-Auto-queue crewskills.

Until then +1 for addons!;)

Assertions made without evidence may be dismissed without evidence.

Edited by Direttafis

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Modhaters

You guys clearly shoot out of the hip without knowing what youre talking about.....at all.

in wow for instance the programs automating things are looooong gone. all thats left are QOL-Improvements, some of them i consider mandatory for playing mmo´s on a highend-level (like mouseovercasting and buff/debuffbars, an outfitter....)

I really miss setting up the erfect ui. it was like a minigame inside the game.

If BioWare would program a usable interface instead of this crap we have at the moment, then no one would need mods. But they dont know how a mmo-ui has to be, so they have to allow us players to do their job.

oh, and i dont blame them. no mmo has ever made a playable user interface.

sure, mr. 0815-kyboardturning consoleplaying hotkeyclicking mouthbreather will always be happy with a simplistic interface. but I am not.

i assume you mean bioware not blizzard i honestly like the fact they don't have mods i hated that about wow

Same it literally meant no one could attempt botting or use multi-boxing as it was baseline removed. Sorta sad that I get use codes for emotes but that is more of a vanity thing to make up for WoW's complete lack of roleplaying feature.

Where on SWTOR the roleplaying is done through questing that keeps me satisfied.

With this system you have to be alert and skilled to play this game.

why is there so much hate for Elitist's, since when has trying to be the best you can, been a bad thing!

With regards to MODs, I see nothing wrong with UI MOD, this is a personal choice. We already have a fairly good in game Editor and this could be better. There are a lot of well meaning intelligent people out there who can and do a better job than most DEV's when it comes to customising this area

.Damage Meter's, I use MOX because I like to know how much damage I'm doing and I don't mind a bit of healthy competition with guild mates on DPS. If trying to make yourself good at a game is a bad thing, then I'm Bad person.

Dev's only have to open certain area's up for MODs, this doesn't have to include MOB info, or Location details. So Botting can be avoided .

There are always going to be two sides of the fence on this issue, personally I think this is due to the way some people will always oppose things on some kind of principle and are incapable of seeing the Pro's and Con's of an argument.

Sometimes I do miss some addons, but mostly its just minor interface changes. I can easily live without Recount and all the other stuff that some people consider important (because it makes it easier). However, I would love some option to get abilities on our action bar highlighted when something trigger and being able to see how long a HoT/DoT has left, just by having the mob/player targetted. It just adds a layer of immersion not having to stare blank at your buffs and watching the actual action instead.

I made a post in the suggestions forum if anyone would like to read:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=628321

There is only one addon I deeply miss: Elkano's Buffbar.

The ability to only see debuff's on target that I put on him, a much clearer debuff/dot indicator would be very nice. On my balance shadow, it was always a pain to find my dots on the target, and if there were more then one shadow, guess which dot whos ^^°

But overall I don't miss any addon I had before in other games...

Edited by Meglivorn

because mind you, I am only here to PvP....I have to date NEVER done a Flashpoint because I dont care to...not my idea of fun.

well that's your problem right there, this game isn't made with the PvPers in mind, it's for those that like a good story as opposed to being ganked the moment they make a new character and walk out the first town gates... it's the best alternative to all that drek out there that caters to the whims and whines of the PvP crowd... i'm sorry but if you play only to PvP you picked the wrong game, as this game has so much more to offer than just it's bonus game content (PvP)... really you should give the actual game a try it's great and executed very well...

OP, tell these people what games NOT named WoW you played that allows for mods.

My experience is the opposite actually. WoW was the only one that had a ton of mods in an MMO. Now single player games, yes a ton of them allow it. That's why Bioware's other 2 franchises I touched in the last few years are better on PC than console.

EQ2, EQ (iirc).

I can agree that a mod for buffs and debuffs, and maybe the UI, would be nice, but tha's something BW can pull off with their QoL enhancements too.

The thing what I hate about mods is the stuff like deadly boss mods, and the rogue/druid rotation addon, which actually play the game for you, people will rely too much on those things and not build up any skill, not being able to see things for their own, except for the big red message in center of screen telling them what to do.

some mods are great, Infomap, Eq2maps, Advanced combat tracker, etc

but if u use wow as an example (ive never played it so if im wrong forgive me) but in wow didnt they start having to actually design content around mods because they were so widely used, and in some cases actually NEEDED?? that is poor design

This is the only MMO i have ever played that doesnt allow for mods. Curse gaming and many other sites provide mods for many games out there that make the experience a LOT more enjoyable. SWTOR has decided to put its customers on rails and this may be good for something, I dont know what, but because of it I find the galactic market horrible in this game. I dont want to spend my time looking up 30 different items to compair prices just so that I can sell my crap, I want something that will check prices and allow me to undercut the other sellers. I want my time to be spent effficiently, not irritated because I have to quest to make money or because I have to do searches to sell some item for 400 credits.... and speaking of the market....since I cant have my own vendors why cant my items be on the market longer?

I havent sold anything on the market until today and I just got reminded of why I dont. The market mechanics are horrible. Absolutely primitive in todays MMO gaming market. In MMOs that don't fair much better for trade markets, at least you are usually able to right click + shift (or something similar) to add the name of the product into the search engine for the market....not in this game. In this game you have to type in the product name to compair prices...

Number one.... that I have to sell crap on a market means that I already have to waste time to get the itmes....because mind you, I am only here to PvP....I have to date NEVER done a Flashpoint because I dont care to...not my idea of fun. With the pathetic state of the market, I now also have to waste more of my time in order to use the market....because in Blizzard's infinite wisdom they have decided to block the ability for private individuals to create mods for this game. It makes the game irritating. I dont play video games to be irritated.

Blizzard, please get off your rump and create a few small provitions...like you did with allowing users to mod their own interface.....and stop jerking me around on my free-to-pay time in your game. I pay a sub, give me perks that matter. A different looking speeder or clothing....junk. Stupid cake-eater crap that does zero for me.

P.S.

Your market system really bites. Cartel coins for xp...good...cartel coins for image designed junk = emo. Allow scripting and mods because you apparently fail at interface and user friendly interaction.

You have trouble selling stuff on the GTN? I made 2 mil yesterday alone off of the GTN... Maybe you are doing something wrong. And you are a PvPer complaining about time? Don't you guys just sit on the Fleet all day and wait to queue? Couldn't you just sit and browse the GTN for a bit and see what is selling for what while you wait to queue?

The interface editor is a thousands times better then anything I have seen from Curse. Sorry to tell ya. What you seem more erked about is the GTN deal, which being a PvPer (and this is my assumption) you waste time just sitting around anyway :p

Edit: Holy Necro.

Edited by Levity

• 2 weeks later...

Ya man I hate that a mod doesn't tell me what the duration of my dots on the target is in a giant image above them. I find it so difficult to play without it telling me whenever somebody pops some CDs. I can't imagine a game where people actually have to pay attention without a mod carrying their skill-less self.

Mods take the competitiveness out of these games, because it tells you exactly how to play and you are just along for the ride to hit a button every now and then. Honestly I hate it so much, you are probably one of those people in WoW that couldn't break 1500 without using mods.

• 4 weeks later...
Right now I'm 50/50 on whether I want mods in SWTOR. In wow it was great, but even when fully modded out there was always something just not quite right about the mods, glitchy sometimes and always missing something that I felt was necessary. I agree that the GTN needs to be revamped a bit. I would like to at least see a kiosk on more worlds than just fleet. It's really time consuming to have to stop what I'm doing and travel back to my ship, then to fleet, then to GTN, put stuff on and try to get back to my original position. I also have a life so this process taking so long is frustrating to say the least. If they could make it so our companion could post certain things on the GTN then that would be great.

• 2 months later...
I can agree that a mod for buffs and debuffs, and maybe the UI, would be nice, but tha's something BW can pull off with their QoL enhancements too.

The thing what I hate about mods is the stuff like deadly boss mods, and the rogue/druid rotation addon, which actually play the game for you, people will rely too much on those things and not build up any skill, not being able to see things for their own, except for the big red message in center of screen telling them what to do.

they do not play the game for me...

They just simply help with huge text to silence the boss etc..

There is nothing wrong with that imho. Infact, without these mods, people wouldnt do huge raids in a successive manner. unless its the select view that do watch a tiny little cast bar.

I want mods for SWTOR.

Also, There are some very very fun mods for WOW like Spellsound and some nice RP tools too :)

Also, Just to add fact - WOW is not truely a skill game.. Its HEAVELY dependant on gear. Especially after WOTLK and Cata, where peoepl can get like 109 HP on a DPS and tanks 150k HP..

I dont know about Pandaria, I have not played it.

Edited by Wolvines

There is nothing wrong with that imho. Infact, without these mods, people wouldnt do huge raids in a successive manner. unless its the select view that do watch a tiny little cast bar.

Yeah, who wouldn't like to play an mmo with this ui or this one? :rolleyes:

I'm glad, that they don't allow any mods

Edited by Never_Hesitate

Yeah, I did mods in WoW. No thanks, I prefer to game without them.

I'd rather have the UI changed by EA/BW to improve it rather than have mods that get broken with each patch and take the mod developers a week to fix while everyone in the raid group sits around with their thumbs up because they can't raid without them.

Mods are a crutch, plain and simple. If you have changes to the UI that might make the game better (such as being able to see only your DoTs on a target) then go to the suggestion forum and post them. If I never see mods in this game I will be a happy, happy gamer.

Yeah, who wouldn't like to play an mmo with this ui or this one? :rolleyes:

I'm glad, that they don't allow any mods

I love how people post these like anyone actually played that way. There's mods running in that screenshot that duplicate each other's function, just to take up screenspace for a funny picture. Nobody realistically doubles up on raidframes or needs two threat meters running concurrently, other than to make it look like flying an aircraft. The actually popular mods in WoW are all extremely minimalist and small in design, like the bar at the top displaying coordinates, FPS, ping, etc, or minimized action bars with customized trays.

Screenshots like these are a lazy strawman arguement, or outright trolling for a laugh.

I love how people post these like anyone actually played that way.

Yes, I primarily put them up as an exaggeration.

The problem with allowing mods is, that it can get out of hand pretty quickly.

I'm in the same boat as Grayseven on this issue:

Mods are a crutch, plain and simple. If you have changes to the UI that might make the game better (such as being able to see only your DoTs on a target) then go to the suggestion forum and post them.

PS: The only mod, the people I knew ever really used, was bartender to rearrange the ui easier, which is not needed in swtor, everything else was just fluff

Yes, I primarily put them up as an exaggeration.

The problem with allowing mods is, that it can get out of hand pretty quickly.

Thank you for admitting it.

PS: The only mod, the people I knew ever really used, was bartender to rearrange the ui easier, which is not needed in swtor, everything else was just fluff

Let's make sure we're on the same page; "fluff" is something non-essential, right? Isn't that then the ideal place for mods to be in the game, non-essential changes that players may opt into to improve their personal enjoyment of the game without affecting others?

The only mods I ever ended up using were things that should have been in the game in the first place (damage logs, better ui customization). I would not be opposed to stuff like that in this game. The buff/debuff display options are atrocious and figuring out how much damage I'm doing or taking is a PITA.

I can understand about deadly boss mods and alike.

But some kind of item database addon, which tracks number of items you have spread on different alts.

Also tracking achievements on different alts, mount or whatever. Saves a lot of trouble logging on different alts to find out does he have mats to craft. This is called quality of life addon and does not play game for you.

Mods are by nature, something you install for a personal touch, but doesn't effect the game externally i.e. You experience the mod, but nobody else will.

Unfortunately they don't work that way, in WoW for example you are considered a bad player if you don't have the "must have" mods installed, especially for raiding and PvP. And I fear if BioWare allow mods, this will happen to ToR as well.

I can understand about deadly boss mods and alike.

But some kind of item database addon, which tracks number of items you have spread on different alts.

Also tracking achievements on different alts, mount or whatever. Saves a lot of trouble logging on different alts to find out does he have mats to craft. This is called quality of life addon and does not play game for you.

Mods are not needed for this. Legacy bank done right would solve crafting materials issue.

Actual achievements are legacy-wide. If you just want to know if a particular alt has a speeder in their vehicles list, (and maybe you can elaborate on WHY you would want this information) I don't see it as being something you need to know often enough to make it that much of a hassle to switch to that alt.

well that's your problem right there, this game isn't made with the PvPers in mind, it's for those that like a good story as opposed to being ganked the moment they make a new character and walk out the first town gates... it's the best alternative to all that drek out there that caters to the whims and whines of the PvP crowd... i'm sorry but if you play only to PvP you picked the wrong game, as this game has so much more to offer than just it's bonus game content (PvP)... really you should give the actual game a try it's great and executed very well...

PvP is not "bonus game content". It's a core part of the game, Treek and HK-51 are bonus content, Tauntaun farming is bonus content, PvP is not.