Swtor mods

Aikes_Itso

I Don't need combat mods, just fix the red text

I don't need mods for the UI, except for the red text swtors UI is the best i have ever seen and used.

However:

--third party inventory mod would also be nice. after a night of harvesting ... breaking up 10x99 mats into 8/10 stack chunks makes my wrists hurt.

--third party combat loggers would be amazing.

--threat monitors would be nice, but not a total requirement .. but even 4.0+ wow had threat monitoring in the default UI

--third party mod for the GTN would be awesome since the gtn as it stands is $%^&ing buggier than a termite mound, slow, and terrible to navigate *if your not wanting to waste 30 minutes*

--third party mail tools would also be nice.. but not a big deal or req.

as for combat mods... i ''kind of'' agree with the elitist jerks that are being %^ickheads in general but in a more constructive way. mods that pop warnings about rages, boss timers and phases make this game even MORE of a face roll than it already is. i do not want to see those mods. this is a more adult game, so i politely state that mods for alerting players to things they should be paying attention to normally are not something i'd like to see (like healbot.. spamming one key... forever)

on the other side. utility mods.. i am all for. i hate my aching wrists after posting 2 mill in mats in stacks of 4, 6 and 8 green mats.

Edited by captpickles

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PvP is not "bonus game content". It's a core part of the game, Treek and HK-51 are bonus content, Tauntaun farming is bonus content, PvP is not.

PVP really is very poor. It is my opinion that it is a very distant 3rd play style for this game. PVE, raiding and a 'dash' of basic pvp is what we have. I would even state that likely PVP is the LEAST concerned topic for dev until enough people unsub to warrant a fix to boost subs back up temporarily .. hell except for the recent update a vast compliment of pvp gear is just re-skinned stuff..

• 4 weeks later...
Your assumption is wrong, it was a slip of the though process to say Blizzard. I havent played World Of Whatever in two years, but I do feel that game has a lot bettter mechanics in relation to its trade market.

Apparently some dont like mods, and I respect that you dont. I dont know why, but okay. As for myself, I have a real life...family and friends to do things with that arent in a fictional world. Time is the one thing you can never get back so if mods reduce wasted time in a video game then I am all for them.

What most people dont care for are mods that are scripts doing everything for other players. Face it, a lot of people are just tards when it comes to scripting or addon mods....and of course they hat them. Give me a better galactic market and I can live with the rest of the bugs.

All of this is my opinion, so flame on if you are bored or if you have some relevant information to add or your own personal opinion, let it be heard.

I agree, if you aren't going to allow mods, then at least take note of modern auction house UI elements. Very annoying coming from just about any other mmo that has better auction interfaces. Not being able to shift-click a name into the search is probably the worst imo and is a basic function of just about every other major mmo out there.

• 1 month later...
I don't see what the big deal is if there were Mods. You don't have to use them. For those of us who want more options for the UI, Mods would be just fine. And just to be clear WoW is NOT the only MMO with mods. I cant list a handful right off the bat that have been hugely successful that include mods. However, since we live in the 21st century and Google=knowledge go search for yourself instead of being ignorant on the subject. I see no reason Mods would be a problem. If you don't like/want to use them, don't! The default UI on this game sucks b***s anyways. I for one am for a community Mod kit. EA is the worst company in the world though so I doubt we will ever be able to have these options as they want to control and moderate everything we do. Swtor is fun, but no where near the top 10 best MMOs. Just to be clear I H A T E with a passion and crap called WoW. The only reason I stay on Swtor is becuase of my guild and the friends ive made. The game as a whole however is a fail. I can go on to back up my claim but I don't have to, its obvious. Mods=options=personailzation=more fun. > EA

I'm pretty sure guild wars 2 doesn't allow mods either. not sure if super hero games or start trek game have mods. I think Eve doesn't, but don't quote me on that.

GW2's APi is open for web development; we're able to check world boss spawn times specific to servers on an outside website in real time, as well as tracking WvW stats. Nothing I've seen in-game, but at the same time I can't think of anything I actually need that isn't already in the default UI. City of Heroes had mods for maps and stat calculation before it was integrated into the base UI.

GW2's APi is open for web development; we're able to check world boss spawn times specific to servers on an outside website in real time, as well as tracking WvW stats. Nothing I've seen in-game, but at the same time I can't think of anything I actually need that isn't already in the default UI. City of Heroes had mods for maps and stat calculation before it was integrated into the base UI.

I don't know... if it were open to development, I don't see people resisting creating mods for so long. it may be open to outside observation though, ala SWTOR combat logs, just more extensively (seriously, people will mod things they can, and will develop ways to mod things they cannot, as Mass Effect 3 for example will demonstrate). not sure about city of heroes, as I never got to play it, before it was shut down.

either way. I see opening SWTOR to modding as a big giant can of worms. good may come out of it. bad will DEFINITELY come out of it. even perspective of getting something like Altoholic (my all time favorite MMO addon) is not enough. I'd rather they work within existing legacy and implement something that way.

This is the only MMO i have ever played that doesnt allow for mods. Curse gaming and many other sites provide mods for many games out there that make the experience a LOT more enjoyable. SWTOR has decided to put its customers on rails and this may be good for something, I dont know what, but because of it I find the galactic market horrible in this game. I dont want to spend my time looking up 30 different items to compair prices just so that I can sell my crap, I want something that will check prices and allow me to undercut the other sellers. I want my time to be spent effficiently, not irritated because I have to quest to make money or because I have to do searches to sell some item for 400 credits.... and speaking of the market....since I cant have my own vendors why cant my items be on the market longer?

I havent sold anything on the market until today and I just got reminded of why I dont. The market mechanics are horrible. Absolutely primitive in todays MMO gaming market. In MMOs that don't fair much better for trade markets, at least you are usually able to right click + shift (or something similar) to add the name of the product into the search engine for the market....not in this game. In this game you have to type in the product name to compair prices...

Number one.... that I have to sell crap on a market means that I already have to waste time to get the itmes....because mind you, I am only here to PvP....I have to date NEVER done a Flashpoint because I dont care to...not my idea of fun. With the pathetic state of the market, I now also have to waste more of my time in order to use the market....because in Blizzard's infinite wisdom they have decided to block the ability for private individuals to create mods for this game. It makes the game irritating. I dont play video games to be irritated.

Blizzard, please get off your rump and create a few small provitions...like you did with allowing users to mod their own interface.....and stop jerking me around on my free-to-pay time in your game. I pay a sub, give me perks that matter. A different looking speeder or clothing....junk. Stupid cake-eater crap that does zero for me.

P.S.

Your market system really bites. Cartel coins for xp...good...cartel coins for image designed junk = emo. Allow scripting and mods because you apparently fail at interface and user friendly interaction.

None of the MMO's I have played allow mods.

Of course, I've only really played this and APB, but my argument is as valid as your broad statement that "no other MMO (that you have played) has banned mods"...

I don't know much about IT or Computer Science: but aside from EA policy, is there any technical thing preventing someone from just making mods and living with the possibility of being banned?

Unfamiliarity with the engine, due to the patches and upgrades Swtor now runs on a unique engine, and any mods could cause crashes, bugs and other issues.

Oh, and it would be more a probability of being banned than a possibility, minor tweek but important.

None of the MMO's I have played allow mods.

Of course, I've only really played this and APB, but my argument is as valid as your broad statement that "no other MMO (that you have played) has banned mods"...

LOL, APB is "Modding: The Game" graphically. I've seen some crazy characters/vehicles. Has a lot of hacking problems too :(

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, Add-ons are mods. Any software used to enhance the game is technically a mod. I personally don't have a hate for mods. I have modded other games (UO, SW Galaxies, NWN, WoW and Vanguard to name a few). I like mods to help with RP emotes, repeatable actions, or silly things that just give more to a game. Never was a fan of mods that actually change the game play, but that's my personal preference. It is more than no mods that are bothering me. It's no mods and no macros. Part of the challenge for a game is writing something (for me anyways). I'm a paying member and wish I had the opportunity to make it more customizable for me. Lets face it.. there is only so much "game-action" a person can do. Eventually there has to be something that keeps all the player-base coming back for more.

WHY does it have to be an addon and not just in game addition? what makes third party addon better then the same functionality added by game developers?

If BioWare was aggressive in fixing and improving their UI it probably would be better than relying on a MOD community, but then again, player addons tend to have lots of complex customization that the devs should not ever add because it makes it very difficult for the lowest common denominator to set it up.

But its been fast approaching 2 years since they promised they would do more about the terrible UI in this game, especially when it comes to tracking DOTs, Debuffs, and Procs, for which there are no heads up options, so you spend all your time staring at your buttons and buff/debuff bars and their itty bitty icons. If the game was open to UI modding these issues would have been fixed days after launch.

• 1 month later...
Hey lazy guy,

If you lack the motor skill to move your hands a bit to type a name go back to Pandaland, not everyone need a crutch for everything they do.

Signed a GTN powerseller.

P.s. WoW was killed by mods making the the game so trivial, it wasnt worth the attention of most of the Adult players.

You're a GTN powerseller. A mod could make an easier interface for you to work with. That isn't "making the game trivial," that's making the game less tedious.

A mod could fix the horrid crafting interface as well, or make it easier to see who has what debuffs on them for curing, or making procs a little more obvious than a small 10x10 pixel graphic.

Point is, mods are frequently used to fix things in game that are tedious, but have no real affect on gameplay.

You're a GTN powerseller. A mod could make an easier interface for you to work with. That isn't "making the game trivial," that's making the game less tedious.

A mod could fix the horrid crafting interface as well, or make it easier to see who has what debuffs on them for curing, or making procs a little more obvious than a small 10x10 pixel graphic.

Point is, mods are frequently used to fix things in game that are tedious, but have no real affect on gameplay.

You know you can increase size of the buffs and debuffs to ludicrous levels for some time now, right?

Let's make sure we're on the same page; "fluff" is something non-essential, right? Isn't that then the ideal place for mods to be in the game, non-essential changes that players may opt into to improve their personal enjoyment of the game without affecting others?

On this point, as I'm not really satisfied with some weapon sound effect in the game (weapons fire and lightsabers, for example), I wouldn't mind if I could change the audio files to personalize my game experience. The only "unfair advantage" I'd have would be greater immersion and enjoyment, I suppose.

• 3 months later...
Okay, firstly let me tell you most of your people are kind of *** wipes for assuming instantly "OH HE NEEDS A CRUTCH LOL!" Okay first off mods are used for SOOOOO much more than raiding and BGing. You can have mods for roleplay purposes, UI improvements and customization, different alien languages, or even for finding gear that looks good on your character. So before all of the people that feel like ramming there elitist junks down some poor dudes throat you need to realize there are allot of other uses of mods. I personally think Bioware should allow for modding :|

• 3 months later...
Get yourself a razer deathstalker ultimate, you can make all the key binds you want, and with the switchblade ui you can access the swtor app that reads the combat logs to give you all the information you would get from recount and omen. Edited by Vaccano

You know you can increase size of the buffs and debuffs to ludicrous levels for some time now, right?

No you cant. You can blow up your Player/Target-Frame, but you cant manipulate just the buffs/debuffs.

And you cant really track buffs and debuffs, because it shows EVERYTHING ALL THE TIME, including longtermbuffs, xpbuffs etc.p.p.

I´m not saying mods are necessary, but the UI in this game is definitely terrible. And BioWare doesnt care because of some idiots claiming everything is fine.