The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

What's the difference between an EXPANSION and a PATCH ?

Darth__Carnal

The answer to this question is different for everyone, but we have all seen what a PATCH is in TOR, and I think we all can agree that an EXPANSION should be a lot larger in scope then a PATCH.

Now what do I mean by Larger ? I mean Content. Not, man hours, budget, or size of the world. I am talking about GAMEPLAY FEATURES that allows the players to do something fresh and new. Not just a single feature mind you, but many features are required when you throw the word EXPANSION around.

Now the Developers can choose to expand Horizontally (New Ideas..<Hard>) , or they can choose to expand Vertically (Build on what you got..<Easy>)

But most times, an EXPANSION incorporates BOTH.

So based on what I have seen so far with the last several PATCHES ( Update 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, etc ) here is what I am expecting for an EXPANSION.

- At least 2 War zones (We normally get a War zone in a Patch, such as our latest one Hypergate.)

- At least 2 Operations (We normally get a Operation in a Patch, such as our latest one HK-51.)

- At least 1 New Race (Normally any expansion in a MMO, offers a new race.)

- At least 1 New Planet ( Depending on the size of the planet and how many objects are recycled.)

- At least 1 New Class ( Normally any expansion in a MMO, offers a new class or offers new ACs for existing class. )

- At least 3 New Skills to existing Classes (Normally any expansion in a MMO, offers new skills that expand class.)

- Including a New Playable Faction ( Without going into the vast SW lore, a third Criminal Faction is doable.)

- Level Cap Increase (This is a staple in MMO expansions and is nothing fancy, new missions are to be expected.)

- New Loot and Gear ( This a staple in MMO expansions, and we are not talking texture palette swaps.)

Now that is what I would call a decent $19.99 Expansion Pack. Anything short of that, is a PATCH.

Thank you for sharing?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Expansions you are thinking of are the full £39.99 Expansions that MMOs like WoW put out. Expansion is the wrong word for Makeb I think, its more of a Adventure Pack - It is bigger than a patch but smaller than an expansion.

In the older days of MMOs, these were more common - EQ2 has had a few of them also that were paid for. If it was a Expansion sitting at £39.99 then yes I would expect most of what you listed but as it is not then the argument becomes invalid.

It seems the word Expansion is the problem, not Makeb.

I think it's that SWTOR is missing a lot of the modern day mmo stuff. I underlined the relevant part of your post.

The Expansions you are thinking of are the full £39.99 Expansions that MMOs like WoW put out. Expansion is the wrong word for Makeb I think, its more of a Adventure Pack - It is bigger than a patch but smaller than an expansion.

In the older days of MMOs, these were more common - EQ2 has had a few of them also that were paid for. If it was a Expansion sitting at £39.99 then yes I would expect most of what you listed but as it is not then the argument becomes invalid.

It seems the word Expansion is the problem, not Makeb.

This guy has it right but players expecting the moon for nothing is standard fare in SWTOR. This thread proves once again that EA/Bioware will never, ever be able to meet a lot of peoples expecations. They will always fail.

The answer to this question is different for everyone, but we have all seen what a PATCH is in TOR, and I think we all can agree that an EXPANSION should be a lot larger in scope then a PATCH.

Now what do I mean by Larger ? I mean Content. Not, man hours, budget, or size of the world. I am talking about GAMEPLAY FEATURES that allows the players to do something fresh and new. Not just a single feature mind you, but many features are required when you throw the word EXPANSION around.

Now the Developers can choose to expand Horizontally (New Ideas..<Hard>) , or they can choose to expand Vertically (Build on what you got..<Easy>)

But most times, an EXPANSION incorporates BOTH.

So based on what I have seen so far with the last several PATCHES ( Update 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, etc ) here is what I am expecting for an EXPANSION.

- At least 2 War zones (We normally get a War zone in a Patch, such as our latest one Hypergate.)

- At least 2 Operations (We normally get a Operation in a Patch, such as our latest one HK-51.)

- At least 1 New Planet ( Depending on the size of the planet and how many objects are recycled.)

- At least 1 New Class ( Normally any expansion in a MMO, offers a new class or offers new ACs for existing class. )

- At least 3 New Skills to existing Classes (Normally any expansion in a MMO, offers new skills that expand class.)

- Including a New Playable Faction ( Without going into the vast SW lore, a third Criminal Faction is doable.)

- Level Cap Increase (This is a staple in MMO expansions and is nothing fancy, new missions are to be expected.)

- New Loot and Gear ( This a staple in MMO expansions, and we are not talking texture palette swaps.)

Now that is what I would call a decent $19.99 Expansion Pack. Anything short of that, is a PATCH.

After reading this, I just had to log in. This... is beyond dumb. You're expectations are beyond the roof and what are expected at a $40 EXPANSION. No matter what you think or say this is a expansion. Why?

-Increased level cap

-New planet

-New skills

-New gear

And other POSSIBILITIES:

-New warzone/Operation

Thats more than any patch we've gotten.

Its EXPANDING the level.

Unreasonable expectations are unreasonable. If this were a 49.99 expansion, I'd agree with a lot more of this, but at $10 - $20 and knowing what we already know these expectations are completely unreasonable.

I'll be pleasantly surprised if we get 1.

I'll be pleasantly surprised if we get 1.

It's already been officially state multiple times that Cathar is the next races and no others till they see how it goes. It's also been said that Cathar will not be in Makeb.

This will be there.

With them saying there's no new class story you can bank on this not being there.

They've already confirmed this.

You're dreaming. The way classes/stories are linked to factions this would be impossible without either multiple new classes or hours and hour of VO work to make existing classes work with the 3rd faction. Never going to happen.

5 levels.

This is yet to be seen, but I think this is a reasonable expectation.

Expansion that rises level cap and provides content aimed to people sitting at current lvl cap is an expansion aimed mainly for those who currently deal with end game.

Yet, it apparently provides no relevant new end game content. Not a single vague mention of Operations or FPs anywhere to be found. It's ridiculous.

Does not compute.

Expansion that rises level cap and provides content aimed to people sitting at current lvl cap is an expansion aimed mainly for those who currently deal with end game.

Yet, it apparently provides no relevant new end game content. Not a single vague mention of Operations or FPs anywhere to be found. It's ridiculous.

Does not compute.

Except what does compute is the phrase, "More to be announced in the coming months"

While that does leave a number of things up in the air, it does mean we should not be making any decisions on what the digital expansion will have for content (or not have) until those coming months are actually here.

That is also the reason I have not given them my $10 yet. I need a little more info.

But as far as speculation goes. I expect to see some endgame FP's and Ops for the new level 55. It's almost a must given a new level cap.

Does not compute.

Don't forget that they say more info will be released in the coming months. We don't know everything about the expansion yet. Calm down and be patient.

Let's clear the air, everyone saying it's only 10 dollars. No. It's 10 dollars if you pre-order. If not, the content is valued at 19.99. So Bioware considers the amount of content to be worth $19.99. Most Expansions are $19.99 to $29.99.

If we look at Expansions that SWG released. They usually went for 29.99, and deserved the title, EXPANSION.

One of two things need to be addressed. Either the price needs to be beefed up and offer the amount of content I suggested, or drop the word, EXPANSION.

Because the way it sounds, EA and Bioware wants to throw out Huge words like, FREE 2 PLAY, and EXPANSION, but are not being completely being honest with what those words truely mean to gamers.

For example, MOST, not some, MOST Korean Free to Play MMOs, offer you the ENTIRE game for free, INCLUDING EXPANSIONS. The burden falls on those Developers to deliver content the community wants on a frequent basis. EA / Bioware wants the cash first, then do the work second.

Edited by Darth__Carnal

Having all of those things be included seems like it would cost $40. Specifically the new Class/Faction bits.

We know Rise of the Hutts will include 1 New Planet, Level Cap Increase, and Some new Skills and Abilities.

There will probably be 1 New Species (Cathar).

If it includes 1 New Warzone and 1 New Operation, then I will feel okay paying $20. If it only contains a planet, level increase, and Cathar well... I pre-ordered yesterday, so I'm fine paying $10 for that.

People keep mentioning the pricing of this expansion compared to other MMO expansions, but lets be honest, with the amount of content announced so far for this expansion, this would be released as a content patch for free in other MMO's

Let's clear the air, everyone saying it's only 10 dollars. No. It's 10 dollars if you pre-order. If not, the content is valued at 19.99. So Bioware considers the amount of content to be worth $19.99. Most Expansions are $19.99 to $29.99.

No, it's 10 dollars if you're a subscriber and 20 dollars if you're F2P. The pre-order gets you five days of early access and doesn't affect the price.

No, it's 10 dollars if you're a subscriber and 20 dollars if you're F2P. The pre-order gets you five days of early access and doesn't affect the price.

Yeah, this is how I understand it aswell. It's valued at 20 dollars if you're not paying monthly. If you are, it's valued at 10. A lot less than a SWG or a WoW expansion, where you had the price + a sub.

Technically, a patch is any addition to the existing game code. This is because usually it's just updating parts of the existing code and not a completely reformulated application. It's just "patching" the old application, like patching holes in a tire.

An expansion is obviously something that adds more to the game than previously existed. Technically, I think this would include any real additions at all... even a new tier of gear would be a minor expansion of a kind. In frequent use, I think expansion is used to cover a much larger addition, such as in this case, a brand new planet, 5 new levels, possibly a new species to play, etc.

Even though an expansion would count as a patch, I think patch is usually referred to as small, concise fixes to existing things, while the expansion significantly expands the game's range of experiences.

EDIT: Let's clear the air, everyone saying it's only 10 dollars. No. It's 10 dollars if you pre-order. If not, the content is valued at 19.99.

You misread their promotional material.

The expansion is 10 dollars for subscribers. Not if you pre-order. Pre-order gets you 5 days early access.

Edited by SnoggyMack

In the minds of crazed gamers, who knows, but in REAL, non-gaming software, a patch FIXES features, an expansion ADDs features.

Hmmm.. seen 2 guys with this "opinion". Strange..

So we've already had some expansions for free right? new WZ, etc..... :eek: