Afraid to put their big boy/girl pants on. Fix this please. Peter Pan isn't in SWTOR

Seena

WoW had (when I played it - and was a "twink") a built in game mechanic that you could turn off xp. The warzones were divided into levels and people would turn off the xp when they go to the upper end of the level for the bracket.

I don't recall paying any fee (in game gold) to do this - but this is apparently the case now as mentioned by another poster.

Not even close to the same thing - especially since in WoW there were several level brackets - not 2 divisions as in SWTOR. Comparing the two is ludicrous.

Oh and opbviously - again, it was an intended game mechanic in WoW

That's what I figured... never liked WoW but had a guildie talking about it a while back. And I agree.... not so **** when it's a working as intended mechanic of the game.

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It does now- it didn't for the first few years though.

Generally- the opinion is that you twink because you don't want to/don't have the time for the gear tread mill- and while I know we'll argue about whether or not this game's pvp gear takes too long or not- at the least it's clear many players are not geared up when they pvp and don't want to go through it.

So, they twink. In this game- the gear differences aren't so big though that a twink is an untouchable god (which in WoW they were- you have 400 health, that twink rogue has 1800 health and can backstab you for 500 damage- pretty obvious what happens).

This game- I don't agree with twinks, but I sympathize with their wanting to avoid what awaits them at level 50 with the gear grinding you gotta do.

Frankly, I would rather have gear disparities looked at first- because if people start to think 'oh, well, it isn't that bad even if I don't have top gear' at 50, twinking will at least lose some of it's appeal...

Of course- there's also people who twink solely for easy pvp, nothing can change that until they stop giving xp/comms at the end of the match only.

I would be surprised if any of these guys were doing it because of the gear grind... I think it's more of a mediocre skill compensated by superior gear kinda thing. Could be wrong tho...

And 1.6 should change the way people view gear... the difference between the WH adn EWH gear will be much smaller in comparison to the BM and WH difference was. Which IMO wasn't game breaking either but it'll be nice to see less people with a reason to complain.

That's what I figured... never liked WoW but had a guildie talking about it a while back. And I agree.... not so **** when it's a working as intended mechanic of the game.

See I don't think it was **** in WoW's system because the level gap was so small, and people moved through the wz quickly if they didn't care to stay.

Entirely - completely - totally different thing. You didn't have people giving up before the wz even started - and you didn't have people leaving early, costing you games, in order to stay at a certain level.

Edited by Seena

Actually using game mechanics for an unintended result is against the rules.

And rationalizing inexcusable behavior because it imitates what is bad in level 50 pvp - well I don't think that is even addressable.

Where does it say this is against the rules. You can CLAIM it is against the rules, but until you can link me a dev comment or some official post about it, it's not against the rules.

I compare leaving WZs to something like using legacy gear to send mods to alts. It may not be intended, but it's not some bannable offense AFAIK. I've never heard of anyone getting banned for leaving WZs.

I was playing WoW when it first launched and people were complaining about twinking in that game too. Saying it wasn't intended or blah blah. Well Blizz didn't care, and it seems BW doesn't either since they haven't done anything to address it. So until BW officially says twinking is a bannable offense, nobody is going to stop, and all your QQ will just fuel the twinks even more.

Edited by Smashbrother

I compare leaving WZs to something like using legacy gear to send mods to alts. It may not be intended, but it's not some bannable offense AFAIK. I've never heard of anyone getting banned for leaving WZs.

Wait... off topic but... that's NOT the purpose of legacy gear?

I'm being completely serious when I say... I thought that was the MAIN purpose for legacy gear.

Where does it say this is against the rules. You can CLAIM it is against the rules, but until you can link me a dev comment or some official post about it, it's not against the rules.

I was playing WoW when it first launched and people were complaining about twinking in that game too. Saying it wasn't intended or blah blah. Well Blizz didn't care, and it seems BW doesn't either since they haven't done anything to address it. So until BW officially says twinking is a bannable offense, nobody is going to stop, and all your QQ will just fuel the twinks even more.

I'm not quite sure what you're shooting for here - hyperbole? :;smile::

And to suggest that because nothing's been done means it is working as intended AND nothing WILL be done - is quite possibly the most laughable statement yet in this thread.

The first step is - discussion and awareness. If you don't like it well, tough nougies.

I'm being completely serious when I say... I thought that was the MAIN purpose for legacy gear.

I've no idea what the main purpose of legacy gear is since BW didn't exactly say what that is. They also didn't say that you could xfer mods between chars using it either in the patch notes. People just found out themselves they could move mods around like that. All I know for sure is BW will not ban anyone for using legacy gear to move mods.

Edited by Smashbrother

Come on now - I think the "Legacy gear" thing threw him for a loop.

And we all know that you transferring your legacy gear to your own toons - affects other players. Big time. HUGE I mean... seriously. It's bad. WAY bad.

Edited by Seena

I have been going hard on my alts to get some flavor at 50 and have yet to run into a "twink". If they want to do that then eh I rather PvP with the 50's.

I tried using my two 50s with Cybertech and Artifice to twink my baby Jugg. It's just not worth the time to get all those purple materials and schematics for levels that shoot by so quickly. So it's blue components until 50.

I have run into some sub-50 twinks before though. Made about as much difference as well-geared 50s. But that was for only a small fraction of WZs.

I've no idea what the main purpose of legacy gear is since BW didn't exactly say what that is. They also didn't say that you could xfer mods between chars using it either in the patch notes. People just found out themselves they could move mods around like that. All I know for sure is BW will not ban anyone for using legacy gear to move mods.

I never read the patch notes on legacy gear but I totally thought that was the purpose and I thought it was a great addition. I mean... what else would you do with all those coms after the min/max grind other than put your companions in wull WH and that seems kind of pointless for someone who obviously PvP's a lot.

I also like it because it rewards players who have finished the min/max grind by allowing them to have a well geared fresh 50. But again... most importantly... those extra coms. At least they have a purpose now. Without legacy gear I'd probably be trolling Section X and /clubdance while my companion beat on PvE'ers. :D

Sorry for going off topic but that caught me by surprise. I didn't even consider that legacy was NOT working as intended.

Edited by UGLYMRJ

I never read the patch notes on legacy gear but I totally thought that was the purpose and I thought it was a great addition. I mean... what else would you do with all those coms after the min/max grind other than put your companions in wull WH and that seems kind of pointless for someone who obviously PvP's a lot.

I also like it because it rewards players who have finished the min/max grind by allowing them to have a well geared fresh 50. But again... most importantly... those extra coms. At least they have a purpose now. Without legacy gear I'd probably be trolling Section X and /clubdance while my companion beat on PvE'ers. :D

Sorry for going off topic but that caught me by surprise. I didn't even consider that legacy was NOT working as intended.

To use some of your post. Some of these people might actually be doing this because they do not have enough coms yet to twink out their alt in WH gear? Going out to pvp and have fun with an alt that is not ready to be 50. Then leaving the WZ. Which lights up different conversations that you should be allowed to spend your coms on lvl 50 gear before 50 or a quitters debuff (which is not right when you start in the middle of a fail wz.)

Im not saying i would agree with dropping WZ's not to lvl, but there could be other reasons why this might be happening other then to get rid of blue ball epeens.

Edited by Carnaje

Boy did this get derailed quick, lots of hate out there for the pvp world. Yes I know swtor has a lot of problems but we do have threads for just about everyone of them. Just to be clear as it seems to be an issue I have a 50 sorcerer and yes I did the gear grind to WH and I play on the harbinger server. Now I think the original point was not making a lowbie character powerful the point was people making a lowbie character powerful then staying at the 10-49 bracket to destroy people for kicks.

Kinda hard for me to be for that, I mean I love pvp spend a crap load of time sucking at it but I just dislike the mindset of someone just wanting to destroy others for kicks when those others really have little chance against them. Kinda like a group coming along and destroying one lone person. Just don't see the point not to mention the whole bully aspect of it. I was in mumble with others and they had just about to ding 50 with some alts they wanted to get a group together so that there last match would be all about that just destroying others in a warzone. Just don't see the point kinda like a lot of other activities if it is not fun for the other person why are you doing it? And yes having my character killed can be a lot of fun it is the struggle, fight and the what ifs that make it that way going up against 5 guys or someone who stays in a bracket lacks that. How many times has one of your team after basically winning the match told you to back off so that he can 1v1 someone on the other team? For me it happens all the time not for points but just for the fight itself neither is going to win anything but the struggle is what draws us.

I like pvp and I love to dominate in a warzone but I do not like to farm the other team or be a bully on the field. And I can't say I support that behavior in others in or out of the game.

Boy did this get derailed quick, lots of hate out there for the pvp world. Yes I know swtor has a lot of problems but we do have threads for just about everyone of them. Just to be clear as it seems to be an issue I have a 50 sorcerer and yes I did the gear grind to WH and I play on the harbinger server. Now I think the original point was not making a lowbie character powerful the point was people making a lowbie character powerful then staying at the 10-49 bracket to destroy people for kicks.

Kinda hard for me to be for that, I mean I love pvp spend a crap load of time sucking at it but I just dislike the mindset of someone just wanting to destroy others for kicks when those others really have little chance against them. Kinda like a group coming along and destroying one lone person. Just don't see the point not to mention the whole bully aspect of it. I was in mumble with others and they had just about to ding 50 with some alts they wanted to get a group together so that there last match would be all about that just destroying others in a warzone. Just don't see the point kinda like a lot of other activities if it is not fun for the other person why are you doing it? And yes having my character killed can be a lot of fun it is the struggle, fight and the what ifs that make it that way going up against 5 guys or someone who stays in a bracket lacks that. How many times has one of your team after basically winning the match told you to back off so that he can 1v1 someone on the other team? For me it happens all the time not for points but just for the fight itself neither is going to win anything but the struggle is what draws us.

I like pvp and I love to dominate in a warzone but I do not like to farm the other team or be a bully on the field. And I can't say I support that behavior in others in or out of the game.

Exactly Eldriq. And for those of us not intimidated by a twink per se - it ruins a WZ to have people give up at the get go when faced by these people - or, to lose a Huttball WZ because someone bailed on a tie.

But people will internalize the complaint and try and make it fit their fears/doubts/guilt.

This wouldn't have been an issue with one incident. Not even 2 or 3. But when it's a daily issue? Time to stop it.

To use some of your post. Some of these people might actually be doing this because they do not have enough coms yet to twink out their alt in WH gear? Going out to pvp and have fun with an alt that is not ready to be 50. Then leaving the WZ. Which lights up different conversations that you should be allowed to spend your coms on lvl 50 gear before 50 or a quitters debuff (which is not right when you start in the middle of a fail wz.)

Im not saying i would agree with dropping WZ's not to lvl, but there could be other reasons why this might be happening other then to get rid of blue ball epeens.

Well if it truly was that you were out to have fun... then the issues about level 49s in max gear wouldn't really be an issue right?

Because if it were just for "fun" - these people wouldn't even stand out....

The difference between sub 50 maxed out and post 50 maxed out is why it's a problem though.

Sub 50:

1. Lower over all skill

2. 95% of sub 50 players ARE NOT working on the best gear available

Post 50:

1. Skill level is higher

2. 95% of post 50 players ARE working on the best gear available

Yup. This is what I've been saying for awhile.

I don't mind level 49s having some fun as long as they don't leave the game.

Well if the player was not Comms capped, I think its acceptable to twink at 49 till you get all the comms. If he is already comms capped, there is no reason to stay lvl 49 imo

On the other hand...I just realized a lvl 49 twink wont get comms...lol I feel stupid XD

Edited by Philelectric

Well if the player was not Comms capped, I think its acceptable to twink at 49 till you get all the comms. If he is already comms capped, there is no reason to stay lvl 49 imo

On the other hand...I just realized a lvl 49 twink wont get comms...lol I feel stupid XD

HAHAHAHA! Awesome...

Here's the only official legacy thing I could find. There's no mention of being able to xfer mods. So I don't believe BW "intended" for us to xfer mods to alts using legacy gear.

http://www.swtor.com/info/legacy

Edited by Smashbrother

Come on now - I think the "Legacy gear" thing threw him for a loop.

And we all know that you transferring your legacy gear to your own toons - affects other players. Big time. HUGE I mean... seriously. It's bad. WAY bad.

Are you special in the head or something?

Me transferring WH gear that I bought on my main to my alts DIRECTLY affects anyone I pvp with.

Edited by Smashbrother

I would be surprised if any of these guys were doing it because of the gear grind... I think it's more of a mediocre skill compensated by superior gear kinda thing. Could be wrong tho...

And 1.6 should change the way people view gear... the difference between the WH adn EWH gear will be much smaller in comparison to the BM and WH difference was. Which IMO wasn't game breaking either but it'll be nice to see less people with a reason to complain.

Ya I'm a bit hopeful- EWH is a step in the right direction, will have to wait and see just how that works out.

Here's the only official legacy thing I could find. There's no mention of being able to xfer mods. So I don't believe BW "intended" for us to xfer mods to alts using legacy gear.

http://www.swtor.com/info/legacy

•Players can now unlock a wide variety of rewards by leveling characters and reaching new Legacy levels, including buffs for your characters, unlocking additional Species choices for every class, and upgrades for your personal Starship. Build your own Legacy with the new Family Tree!

•Legacy Experience awarded for Warzone completion and Space Combat kills is now in line with rewards from other activities.

•Legacy names now display immediately once the player chooses one.

•Players with a Legacy can now send unbound and bound-to-Legacy items to other characters on the same account via in-game mail (even if the characters are not of the same faction).

<.< hope that helps.

Apparently it seems the new "thing" is to stay perpetually at level 49, twink your toon to all hell and stay in level 1-49 warzones in perpetuity. This is done by exiting the warzone before it completes (some times at the cost of team play). You don't level if you do this.

I play on an RP server and it's become a significant problem. To the point where people will leave warzones when they see a team of these level 49s. And if it's a problem on a RP server, I'm sure it must be on others.

Oh I am sure there will be people who are fine with this, in fact - who engage in it themselves. Time to move on - buck it up - take your medicine like the rest of us.

I'm pretty sure the ability to do this is not part of the intended game mechanic. It needs to be fixed. I am tired of teams giving up before the wz starts and of people exiting the wz before it finishes (and sometimes contributing to losses in Huttball when scores are tied).

If this has been addressed - my apologies. I read through some threads and tried a search, but came up with nothing...

:;edit:: To be clear - this isn't an "anti twink" post. It isn't an "anti-premade" post. There is NOTHING wrong with twinking a char in the absence of (mis)using a game mechanic to artificially hold yourself at a certain level. This also isn't a "Level 50 PvP is fine - and absent of it's own problems" post. Clear?

I have not noticed this much, and I AM on Ebon Hawk. Of course, I only pvp in later hours eastern.