Merc is TERRIBLE

Shredit

Yeah i still waiting on BW to fix frame issues/ crashes and oh i dont know fix level 50 PVP.

LOL, like you said in another thread Henu, I don't really expect them to FIX level 50 PVP. We can ask for it, we can make suggestions, but I'm not gonna expect anything at this point.

How can CoF FA, HiB and Demo even feature in the same sentence as the phrase Burst Damage.

Or are you talking about firing them with one or even no grav buffs.

Because firing off a channeled attack plus two instants after three cast attacks isn't even remotely burst damage, It's your pve rotation which is perfect for a boss which sits there and lets you molest it.

Backloaded burst is still burst. The advantage to assault is it's burst is front loaded. This is better burst since it gives them less chance to react, and emphasizes why Gunnery needs the time to complete it's setup, but still he's right about the kind of damage you can push out in 4 GCDs.

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I play a commando as do alot of other 50s on my server. We are some of the most wanted players. 1v1 I can almost kill anything that has the same or slightly better gear then me. You just need to learn how to play your class.

I always laugh at the *******s who drop a L2P but never actually describe or explain what they're doing to be so much better than everyone else or how exactly they're the leet'est goodie on the planet. it's the equivalent of yelling out a passing car window at a pedestrian.

I always laugh at the *******s who drop a L2P but never actually describe or explain what they're doing to be so much better than everyone else or how exactly they're the leet'est goodie on the planet. it's the equivalent of yelling out a passing car window at a pedestrian.

The guy is from Gav Daragon. I just logged in there... 17 republic level 50s online, on the entire server (had to break down my server by class, but I counted 395 lvl 50s here). What are the chances he's even SEEN a good player?

(Burst definitions)

We have different definitions of burst then - you're calling burst what I'd call damage spikes. To me, it is the amount of damage I can do in 10-20 seconds if ammo is of no concern. Ie. burning down a target as quickly as possible (not sustainable DPS).

Gunnery wins hands down at that. It takes 4.5 seconds (before alacrity) to fully buff/debuff everything to maximum. Give me a small window of opportunity and I will kill what you cannot hope to

EDIT: Yeah, you might be talking about fronloaded vs backloaded as ArchangelLBC says - still burst, and I'm pretty sure as I say above that gunnery can put out bigger numbers on an ammo burn.

Edited by Jherad

The guy is from Gav Daragon. I just logged in there... 17 republic level 50s online, on the entire server (had to break down my server by class, but I counted 395 lvl 50s here). What are the chances he's even SEEN a good player?

We have different definitions of burst then - you're calling burst what I'd call damage spikes. To me, it is the amount of damage I can do in 10-20 seconds if ammo is of no concern. Ie. burning down a target as quickly as possible (not sustainable DPS).

Gunnery wins hands down at that. It takes 4.5 seconds (before alacrity) to fully buff/debuff everything to maximum. Give me a small window of opportunity and I will kill what you cannot hope to

EDIT: Yeah, you might be talking about fronloaded vs backloaded as ArchangelLBC says - still burst, and I'm pretty sure as I say above that gunnery can put out bigger numbers on an ammo burn.

Man you guys all have some Stamina Ill give you that....Merc makes me want to munch down a mouthful of tac's. Although I did manage to kill a really bad Sent that Jumped me on Illum a few weeks ago...Happiest day of my Merc life....

Anyways Hats off to all the Commando/Merc DPS still fighting for the class...Against BW Devs, and the Many people compelled to come into these threads and flex their Epeen and actually hurt their own class in the process. Especially the guy who never made it past level 33 but has gone into every Merc balance thread and derailed it with his amazing experience on his lowbie Merc.

Sorry about my earlier post I was still semi new in the 50 bracket and had not come up against a decent opponent as of yet. This changed this week and I met probably the best marauder on the server. It was a Voidstar match I scored just over 300k damage (I am still to get full bm) a friend as vanguard scored around 350k (also they do not have full bm) and then a marauder came first with 600k damage. I have never seen anyone else on Gav Daragon get over 400k damage. I now understand how you guys in America and Europe feel when your population is 5 times ours. I have changed my mind the only thing wrong with commando is its survivability.

Still waiting on that video.

Henu is a pocket healer player, I have gone rounds with her before on the forums. Its always easy to mop the floor up with people when you have someone healing you.

600K-800K is good but it can only be achieved with a healer and some potions but that is only half the damage of what a melee class can achieve in this game with a pocket healer.

Pugging it you can make 500K DPS but its rare (standard is about 300K-4??K and it depends on the other teams competence (Noob Central team).

I do believe with the change to resolve and the addition to the interrupt spell, my Merc abilities have improved a little. Pyro is what I usually role with.

The problem I am having is that I like Arsenal because the tree puts out great single target damage but everything about the tree is channeled abilities with minimum movement.

The Devs really need to revamp this tree and I really don't know what the hell they were thinking when changing Rocket Punch. That ability should of had the root added with out the damage interruption.

Edited by Asturias

Sorry about my earlier post I was still semi new in the 50 bracket and had not come up against a decent opponent as of yet. This changed this week and I met probably the best marauder on the server. It was a Voidstar match I scored just over 300k damage (I am still to get full bm) a friend as vanguard scored around 350k (also they do not have full bm) and then a marauder came first with 600k damage. I have never seen anyone else on Gav Daragon get over 400k damage. I now understand how you guys in America and Europe feel when your population is 5 times ours. I have changed my mind the only thing wrong with commando is its survivability.

Think of running into that Mara/Jugg x 4 in one WZ along with 2 Ops Healers an 2 PT/pyros...All the DPS are hitting 400k Minimum and atleast one hits 700k.....That actually happens on the Bastion fairly often.....

Then Roll out their With your Big'Ol cannon..Poke your head out from behind a Pillar and see how truely Horrible this game can make a Merc/Commando Feel in about 3 secs....

Now Im not saying your going to run into this every time...But if you play 3 to 5 matches a night on the Bastion you'll hit a team close to this....On A Merc/Commando its so brutal...And thos Melee will dial in on you from the very beggining.....Just grab your boot straps...

Edited by Soljin

Well I hate to tell you guys, but as soon as Bioware releases the Jawa as a playable species, you're all going down! That's right, my Jawa Gunnery Spec Commando will be lighting you all up from afar.:cool: My secret plan is to fit my Jawa body into places you won't be able to see me. In the meantime, my armor piercing rounds will tear you apart before you figure out that mole hill was hiding a 2 foot terror!!! The only thing left to figure out is how to overcome the constant 80% mobility snare I'll have by dragging a cannon around that's twice as big as my body.

I will say now that I would rather have a good player on a merc than a crappy one on a maruader. Holly ****! I am telling you there are some really dumb asses playing that class now. And they wind up on my team!

:mad:

I've gone back to playing a gunslinger in recruit gear. So far, the majority of my matches I've been top, or second from top DPS.

The majority of people PvPing in regular WZs are just *terrible*. I mean 'how do you not fall over more often?' kinda terrible.

I was near rage earlier today in PUGs. People fighting away from nodes or standing on top of them while they get capped was just the start; and all of the idiots seemed to be marauders.

So I logged off and watched some football and a movie. Nevermind my marauder rant. lol I did kill a few on my Merc, but it didn't make up for the amount of them I got stuck with on my team.

Think of running into that Mara/Jugg x 4 in one WZ along with 2 Ops Healers an 2 PT/pyros...All the DPS are hitting 400k Minimum and atleast one hits 700k.....That actually happens on the Bastion fairly often.....

nope,

during our peak time,

at most 1/10 wzs has a healer,

not often happen on bastion.

say a shadow get on you unless he uses a stun or some form of cc to keep you in place for him to attack in melee..he gonna have a hard time closing in on you cause of the range and the constant 360 rotaion movememnt of your merc..sure they have instances of mercs getting force lift and other things but they can get away and go back on the attack..

Yes because said Shadow would never use Force Speed.....

Yeah, we're not beating a well played shadow/Sin.

Or pretty much any geared/skilled melee class tbh.

Well Shadow is one of the best 1v1 classes in the game, and Commando is one of the worst. That's a matchup I don't particularly mind always losing if skill/gear are about equal, though it's definitely a matchup I truly hate actually getting into if I'm the commando (when I'm the shadow I love this matchup. If they're gunnery/arsenal its just a great day).

Well Shadow is one of the best 1v1 classes in the game, and Commando is one of the worst. That's a matchup I don't particularly mind always losing if skill/gear are about equal, though it's definitely a matchup I truly hate actually getting into if I'm the commando (when I'm the shadow I love this matchup. If they're gunnery/arsenal its just a great day).

I agree with this. Shadows/Sins seem designed as a caster killer and I really have no problem with them being a hard counter to Commandos.

Trouble is... almost *everything* is a hard counter to commandos heh.

Edited by Jherad

Well, I am about ready to move on to my next toon from Merc, and I will say that I think I have become a better player playing a Merc. The class can do ok, especially when you are working at objectives and ignoring the numbers (actually if you are topping the numbers on a merc, you might very well be doing it wrong outside of with bads around you), but you have to really be alert to what is going on and pay attention to every detail.

Some things I would take for granted when playing my other classes. Things like the root for leg shot on my sniper which was just another tool; on my merc, root on the punch could be my life saver to get away or buy some time. I became more conscious of my stun, interrupts and mez as well as knock-backs, along with resolve on both me and my target. I certainly became much more aware of what my team was doing and making sure I blended in with the crowd.

Yep. It has been the class that I saw the most issues in and liked the least, yet grew to appreciate and respect the most. here is hoping they adjust this some day down the road to make it a truly enjoyable class again some day.

Yeah, we're not beating a well played shadow/Sin.

Or pretty much any geared/skilled melee class tbh.

Merc dps isn't made for 1v1, which is why I liked merc heals pre nerf, it was a better dps and an immortal spam healer. Even if the game was balanced for teamplay, the merc class still fails to contribute in a positive unique way comparable with other classes. Mercs need a new DESIRABLE utility ability for group warzone play.

Edited by DkSharktooth

Well, I am about ready to move on to my next toon from Merc, and I will say that I think I have become a better player playing a Merc. The class can do ok, especially when you are working at objectives and ignoring the numbers (actually if you are topping the numbers on a merc, you might very well be doing it wrong outside of with bads around you), but you have to really be alert to what is going on and pay attention to every detail.

Some things I would take for granted when playing my other classes. Things like the root for leg shot on my sniper which was just another tool; on my merc, root on the punch could be my life saver to get away or buy some time. I became more conscious of my stun, interrupts and mez as well as knock-backs, along with resolve on both me and my target. I certainly became much more aware of what my team was doing and making sure I blended in with the crowd.

Yep. It has been the class that I saw the most issues in and liked the least, yet grew to appreciate and respect the most. here is hoping they adjust this some day down the road to make it a truly enjoyable class again some day.

this.... Ive been farting around on a fresh 50 marauder and ops...it's amazing how much easier it is to totally destroy ppl with these other classes compared to a merc. I still enjoy the merc play style, but when I need a break from the hardcore, I got to these two for some easymode rest time.