A Tale of Two Games: ToR and WoW - Review!

dvvx

• Replies 920
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My only replies would be this......

First off, to the OP, don't quit your day job for a career in journalism. You're terrible.

Secondly, see you at launch.

I would bother dignifying this with a more detailed response but your entire post reads basically as "nothing about this game is even slightly redeeming". Even someone as militantly against the success of new MMOs as yourself knows that isn't the truth, the desperation just makes your entire "review" seem like a scolded child lashing out at a strict parent. It's rather sad.

Edited by Celebrus

All I can say after reading the well written original post, is perhaps this game is not for everyone, especially the original poster. The suggestions are not helpful, and there is no real comparison to WoW besides the glossing over of features and the lack of commentary on the negatives of the product. Furthermore, without qualification, the original post is just another knee-jerk review, written after very little time actually playing the game.

Preempting your respondents with the easy to use "fanboy" and "fangirl" titles only demonstrates the original poster's lack of desire to actually have a meaningful dialog and counter-point discussion.

Unfortunately, as written, I cannot see this post going too far; however, the forums could use a bit more fuel to the fire.

3 out of 10 stars.

Paraphrase:

TOR is not an exact clone of WoW (but in space) and is therefore destined to fail.

Not as objective as presented when boiled down to the main point. Perhaps TOR is not the game for you? In any event, thank you for your efforts and the time spent writing that review.

While i played wow from vanilla. I do think that this game could make it.

WoW did not have all of the extra baggage you mentioned in the start either. but i loved it. simple. and nice.

Its the continous changes to both pvp and pve that ruined wow today.

making things easier and easier is not the way to go.

I play an MMO for a challenge, fun and some gain. i dont want things handed to me without working for it.

that means that every 11 year old playing can achieve the same things with minimal work thus making it useless for me.

pvp seems nice. Huttball is nice. it takes it to another level in regards to pvp. its no more flagcapturing wich is getting boring. its a movable object that we fight for control over and have to navigate through a maze.

Also the worlds are great. the voice overs are awesome. so after a while when you get back from lvling the first powerlvled char to get more into the story you will finally enjoy it.

the sharded world is a bit bad i agree with that but most other things you pointed out is in direct conflict what me and most of my other old timers think. we like working for stuff. we dont like it when you throw in 'resilience' and up the stats to collossal amounts so that you need a spreadsheet and a calculator to make a script to optimize youre dps and or combat skills.

simplicity is most often the best way to go...

P.S

Even if WoW has the LFG system the trade channel became the unofficial LFG channel and still on many servers. the reason is simply to get rid of 'wild' cards. ninjas. and unwanted people who roll healer in strength gear and rolls on bows.

PvP

PvP is a joke, there's not much more to say. It's an insult to any form of competitive activity. Huttball is one of the worst ideas I've ever seen implemented in an MMO: Warsong Gulch with a passable flag? Really? What irks me most is that someone actually made money coming up with such a terrible idea. Inconsistent traps, obnoxious commentators, bad layout, Huttball has it all. There are 15-year-olds that designed better Unreal Tournament maps. Sure, there may be some occasional mindless fun to be had with Huttball, but there's no real value here.

Alderaan is significantly better, but doesn't even compare to the wide variety of BGs present in MMOs like WoW or Rift. Ignoring WoW's trailblazing here, Rift's "Black Garden" was a particularly awesome innovation. World PvP is more or less nonexistent.

If ToR was Communist Russia, PvP would be human rights.

You may berate me now, but don't forget this review 1 year down the line. ToR is dead. Long live Titan?

Inconsistent traps?! what you couldn't see the WARNING LIGHTS on the side of the fire traps, to tell you it's coming? wow, just wow. Huttball, when i first played several months ago in beta i hated it, then the more i played it the more tactics and strategy there was, and began to love it. And it's not like WSG, in WSG you go to your opponents base and steal their flag, here it's one flag in the middle, and you have to take it where? STRAIGHT into the lions den.

Black garden is a ripoff of Mourkain Temple, almost exactly.. nothing revolutionary there.

Warzones in TOR are great!

Titan??!! LMAO a fpsmmo? that's for casuals? YA that will go over HUGE /sarcasm

OP is trying to compare a game that's not even officially released yet with one that's been out for 7 years. /fail

Compare WoW on release with SWTOR, SWTOR wins easily.

This way of thinking is completely wrong.

SWTOR must compete with anything else that is currently available on the market.

WoW with 7 years of expansions and patches is currently on the market for the same $15 price tag per month.

Ergo, SWTOR must compete with WoW in its current state, not in its release state. Players will not tolerate waiting years for SWTOR to catch up to things that WoW already has right now.

That is just how things work.

However in my opinion I do not really think that ToR is behind wow in any way that is important to me, so im fine with ToR, its just a hold over game for 6-8 months until Guild Wars 2 comes out anyway.

Inconsistent traps?! what you couldn't see the WARNING LIGHTS on the side of the fire traps, to tell you it's coming? wow, just wow. Huttball, when i first played several months ago in beta i hated it, then the more i played it the more tactics and strategy there was, and began to love it. And it's not like WSG, in WSG you go to your opponents base and steal their flag, here it's one flag in the middle, and you have to take it where? STRAIGHT into the lions den.

Black garden is a ripoff of Mourkain Temple, almost exactly.. nothing revolutionary there.

Warzones in TOR are great!

Titan??!! LMAO a fpsmmo? that's for casuals? YA that will go over HUGE /sarcasm

He probably was waiting for big letters on his screen Move away and when he didnt he got confused and died :p

This way of thinking is completely wrong.

SWTOR must compete with anything else that is currently available on the market.

WoW with 7 years of expansions and patches is currently on the market for the same $15 price tag per month.

Ergo, SWTOR must compete with WoW in its current state, not in its release state. Players will not tolerate waiting years for SWTOR to catch up to things that WoW already has right now.

That is just how things work.

However in my opinion I do not really think that ToR is behind wow in any way that is important to me, so im fine with ToR, its just a hold over game for 6-8 months until Guild Wars 2 comes out anyway.

REally, a lot of us have no desire on inclination to play WoW.

For you and some gamers this might be the case, but it's some but not all. SOMBUNALL

I think the OP hit the nail on the head. If you are serious game player--TOR most likely will leave you feeling like you are stepping into a time machine, playing a game that would have felt fresh in 2005. Most serious gamers are a little disappointed that TOR hasn't delivered.

But we won't need to reviews to measure success. The game population/subscriptions at the six month point will be the true bellwether.

Anyone who uses WoW as their comparison point is automatically rendered irrelevant to me.

Yeah--pointless to compare this game to the most successful MMO. It is much more fair to compare TOR to all the games that have gone free to play. TOR and WoW are in different leagues.

Compare WoW on release with SWTOR, SWTOR wins easily.

This guy has it dead on--if we were in 2005--TOR would have a chance.

Edited by Zhit

The comparison is warranted because a) they are both MMORPGs and b) Bioware/EA explicitly asserted that they are going after the prime competitor (WoW).

Just another WoW fanboi, him mentioning TITAN in another post within this thread only highlights how biased he truly is. His OP is not unique or new in any way. Predictably, it is just a bunch of inconsistent drivel with a load of favoritism sprinkled throughout.

This thread will be buried before weeks end and no one will care to remember what this "Counter Strike professional 1337 gamer" even said. I know I won’t lose any sleep or gaming hours over this malarkey.

Edited by XOrionX

The day WoW let's me kill a woman at point blank range for cheating on her husband and then receive game impacting repercussions for my actions, is the day WoW questing can be mentioned in the same sentence. The one thing this game has that WoW nor any other MMO has is the sense of self worth. I don't feel like I'm just some other Bounty Hunter I'm a bounty hunter who is straight evil to the core, loves making credits and is a sucker for hot women. I don't know this because of me roleplaying I know this because the story thus far in my adventure has shown me these things.

The worst mistake WoW EVER made was putting in Arena and destroying any and all sense of balance in the game. So yes SWTOR should learn from the past and rushing in features that quite possibly have lead to a swift demise of your competition is not always the best practice either. I played WoW the minute the first server came online just like I did SWTOR and this game has all the potential of WoW and some. So for every person like you who thinks this game is a failure there are just as many that feel like me and hope it lasts for years.

The game will evolve but if Bioware truly is a smart company they will avoid your vision of what makes a great game like the plague.

Edited by solidkjames

Famous last words, lol.

Never underestimate Blizzard. They have yet to release an unsuccessful or bad game.

true, but not everyone likes all of their games...

i for one, only like the diablo series... i hate sc and wc for the most part, and i cant stand WoW at all..

I hated vanilla WoW and didnt play longer then 20 hours. I love tor from the get go. It only has room to expand and as long as they push stuff quick and fast it will build up to all the content wow has. When comparing TOR to other games you need to compare them to there launch versions and not what they became...

Famous last words, lol.

Never underestimate Blizzard. They have yet to release an unsuccessful or bad game.

I never do but when it is Activision involved i actually just boycott the games because i know they would sell theire own mother if thwy could earn a cent on it.

Will not even buy diablo thanks to that

Edited by Varghjerta

Famous last words, lol.

Well even if TOR fails, you couldn't PAY me to go back to wow, and definitely not play a fpsmmo... not my cup of tea... Btw, blizz has been making a failing mmo for a few years now... FAILpandas on the way! I'm gonna laugh when the number one raiding guild in the world in a few years (if the game still has life) is led by a 12 year old barking out LEEEERRROOOYYY and MORE DOTS!

The day WoW let's me kill a woman at point blank range for cheating on her husband and then receive game impacting repercussions for my actions, is the day WoW questing can be mentioned in the same sentence.

Care you explain what kind of game changing repercussions you received?

I've passed the middle of the game and I still haven't done any mission that impacted myself or the world in a meaningful way because of my choice. Everything is static and the only thing that changes is the fact that I can buy some Dark side gear from a vendor that doesn't even have any gear for my class so pretty much nothing.

But that's not all white damage does. It also provides a steadily dripping resource (ex: rage) that can be used freely. It's also off the GCD, which makes rotations more reliable.

Yet, just because you can tie other mechanics to it, in no way does that ever make it necessary. Look at that other game and see that with their new class even they decided things worked better when you dropped white damage.

Also:

1. Games are easier to balance w/o an outside the ability use mechanic like white damage. I.E Without white damage melee abilities can basically be treated like spells, everyone is using the same damage per GCD or damage per channeled second.

2. Combat is a lot easier to animate smoothely when all attacks can match their GCD or channeled times.