A Tale of Two Games: ToR and WoW - Review!

dvvx

Nope, a feature is an extra. Features in MMOs get added over time. They should also be added in response to what the paying players actually want and not what someone thinks they will want. I always play the game I'm playing, not the last one.

Yeah, it should get a pass for nothing having a combat log. Or macros... Yes, no MMO from this day forth should start off with some of the most basic of features! You heard it here first folks.

• Replies 920
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SW:TOR is becoming more successful by the day... each patch things get better and better.

Meanwhile BlizzCon is canceled as World of Warcraft hemorrhages over 2 million subs in 2011, 800,000 in the third quarter alone.

The OP and the trolls are starting to get nervous... Slowly they begin to slink into the shadows. "Who will play with my panda?" They nervously mumble... It's a... a... panda... *sniffle*.

A few years from now we will have to dredge this thread up and have a good laugh.

Or all MMOs will slink away into nothingness, which if you havn't looked at any other MMO except wow (which you havn't, you seem to have a private vendetta against it) you'll notice that they're all losing subs. Ruh roh!

I'm so sick of WoW fan boys reviewing MMO's.

What you fail to realize is most of these people don't even play WOW anymore. They got bored of WOW after playing it for years. They are trying a new game and finding it quite lacking and are feeling remorse for spending their money on something that obviously wasn't ready for release. All I really have to say is this, THIS GAME LACKS A COMBAT LOG. Let me repeat, this game lacks a basic feature like a COMBAT LOG. I know they are adding it, but how in 2012 does a MMORPG release without something as simple as a combat log. This has been standard since the inception of MMORPGs.

Why people compare (bash) SWTOR in its first month of launch to WoW soon coming out with its 4th expansion is beyond me and idiotic. I played both, I loved Wow, but guess what I got bored. I play SWTOR because its something different to look at. I dont want it to be WoW... that said sure there are features WoW had that i would like to see incorporated into SWTOR but i realize the game is new and it will take time.

Constructive critism and ideas are great, why do you think wow is where it is now? The community who took the time to try and make things better. Not the self proclaimed Elite pissed off because they feel ignored.

If i play SWTOR for a month, or six, or a year or two doesnt really matter. When i get bored of it or I see somthing else that holds more interest ill go do that instead. In the mean time I like what I have, see potentional in future patches and expansions, and am going to enjoy the ride while it last.

I personally feel, that Huttball is 1 of the best PVP maps I have ever played. Its fun and you actually have to work as a team to win. The traps and different levels are a nice touch to the map. Its total mayhem when your near the ball. And no, Im not a noob to Huttball. I have spent hours playing this map. Its a great map!

I will say this though, Bioware needs a new pvp map.

Gdit Blizzard I'm tired of not having a continuous flight path, its been like 4 freaking months already. Fix your game already or its going to die asap.

I'm going back to Everquest.

Edit: Also, my server Garithos is dead. You need to merge. Who plays this piece of crap?

Edited by talligan

WoW Sucks. Pandas and pokemon are not material for an MMO, at least no MMO that I will play. SWTOR's storyline isn't ***** by it's own creators and it has a great community, WoW has neither of those.

I won't say more, nor will I look for responses. Fact is, if you hate Swtor, get the hell out of the game and off the forums and go cool your heels with a bunch of no-lifer trolls that will betray you as soon as they can if they think it'll be funny enough.

Gdit Blizzard I'm tired of not having a continuous flight path, its been like 4 freaking months already. Fix your game already or its going to die asap.

I'm going back to Everquest.

Edit: Also, my server Garithos is dead. You need to merge. Who plays this piece of crap?

Dang BW, there is a system in place called a Legacy that you have released no information about. It was obviously suppose to come out with the launch but you wont tell us anything about it to atleast give players something to look forward to. Fix your game already or its going to die.

WoW Sucks. Pandas and pokemon are not material for an MMO, at least no MMO that I will play. SWTOR's storyline isn't ***** by it's own creators and it has a great community, WoW has neither of those.

I won't say more, nor will I look for responses. Fact is, if you hate Swtor, get the hell out of the game and off the forums and go cool your heels with a bunch of no-lifer trolls that will betray you as soon as they can if they think it'll be funny enough.

This is the reason companies continue to release terrible unfinished games.

Dang BW, there is a system in place called a Legacy that you have released no information about. It was obviously suppose to come out with the launch but you wont tell us anything about it to atleast give players something to look forward to. Fix your game already or its going to die.

Bioware would forever have a place in my heart if they released a dance studio before Blizzard releases the one they promised on the WotLK box art.

Bioware would forever have a place in my heart if they released a dance studio before Blizzard releases the one they promised on the WotLK box art.

We are talking about two completely different things. One is obviously an essential game mechanic and one is some vanity side game that doesn't effect basic gameplay in anyway. In fact we don't even know if it is an essential game mechanic, all I know is that it gives me a last name. Is it going to be like AA points of EQ or is it simply going to give me vanity items or maybe your coveted dance studio. As much as you hate WoW, remember the opening of AQ. It was a server wide effort and had offline charts for projected opening. It had list for who had turned in the most commendations and stuff like that. It was an epic event, that had the whole server participating. BW give us something like that. Give us something to look forward to.

We are talking about two completely different things. One is obviously an essential game mechanic and one is some vanity side game that doesn't effect basic gameplay in anyway. In fact we don't even know if it is an essential game mechanic, all I know is that it gives me a last name. Is it going to be like AA points of EQ or is it simply going to give me vanity items or maybe your coveted dance studio. As much as you hate WoW, remember the opening of AQ. It was a server wide effort and had offline charts for projected opening. It had list for who had turned in the most commendations and stuff like that. It was an epic event, that had the whole server participating. BW give us something like that. Give us something to look forward to.

I couldn't tell if you were being sarcastic or cheeky or anything. I quite enjoyed WoW but was merely pointing out (in my first post you quoted) the absurdity of predicting the death of a mostly-complete game based on small quality of life features missing within the first month.

Also: to everyone ITT, WoW is the exception not the rule to what successful MMO's look like.

• 1 year later...
It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. For ToR, unfortunately, mostly the worst.

Interesting read from ToR's launch.

The perfunctoriness of the post strike me immediately. The PvE leveling content, apart from the Fedex quests, is pretty engaging if you listen to it, which the OP admitted didn't due to "hardcore leveling periods." The writing isn't stellar, but it's pretty solid for an MMO, and each classes responses add different flavors to the conversations. The smugglers one liners are sometimes laugh out loud funny, especially in flashpoints.

Interestingly, in retrospect, the OP had the most inappropriate and shallow observations about combat and PvP. The lack of autoattack makes combat MORE thoughful and tactical than WoW's. The OP's mention of spamming right-click to attack with the basic strike demonstrates a very cursory understanding of the classes. For one, who spams click on mobs under any circumstances? And two, only early on in a knight/warrior's leveling path do those classes lack abilities to generate focus. At higher levels, knights/warriors have several methods to build focus, and clearly, the OP did not level high enough to understand. Building resources is actually more difficult than WoW's mindless autoattack--and WoW's warrior immediately springs to mind here as the OP's inspiration. Also, the mention of cover proves interesting as the OP mentions that 4 classes can easily close range on, presumably, targets in cover, yet targets in cover can't be charged, and GS/Snipers otherwise have great kiting tools at their disposal. Once again, proof that the OP really didn't dig too deeply into the subject.

Also, in terms of PvP, the OP compares Huttball to Warsong Gulch? One "flag" versus two? Out of all the WZs, Huttball has aged the best; as classes have gained and lost abilities, new play strategies and class strengths have emerged and flourished. The commentators are annoying enough to be a mentionable distraction? Hardly. It's worth noting that the OP makes mention of Rift's Black Garden--a map whose concept is interesint but whose layout is quite uninspired.

All in all, the OP spent his time writing about poorly weighted observations and glossing over the important stuff, the stuff that in reality, hurt TOR after launch. The lack of LFG tool, guild and social tools, legacy/alt advancement, and competitive PvP really hurt TOR more than companion implementation or WZ commentators. And yet, the OP spends no time elaborating on what would truly improve the game's odds and focuses instead on minutiae.

It's always good to review these types of threads from the past to see how and where SWTOR got to where it's going and the work still cut out for it down the line. The developers/publishers made poor decisions for sure, but not exactly the ones the OP highlights(or has no choice but to highlight due to his limited understanding of the game). And SWTOR has made a lot of progress on its shortcoming as well with more to come. SWTOR is not in the position its devs envisioned for it, but no... it's not dead... 1+ years later.

Well seeing as all the servers are full or very heavy, that makes you look like an idiot. And world wide there are more servers, but then again you are a troll that forgot to unsub so i wasn't looking for a smart or logical sentence from you lol. Also it is mostly due to fickle or self-entitled &^&%& like you that ruin the game, censored myself. Oh and bye troll.

Full with F2P. My server - Red Eclipse - is the only English language PvE server for whole Europe. Every European PvE people who not speaks German or French plays on one server.

Full with F2P. My server - Red Eclipse - is the only English language PvE server for whole Europe. Every European PvE people who not speaks German or French plays on one server.

Last night there were atleast 33 instances in makeb, republic side. Anyway this is a several times necroed post, just let it die already.

Anyway, I just realized I've been paying for SWTOR for the past 15 months or something even though I quit a month after release. It's funny how right I was about this train-wreck of a game. A little over a year after release and a friend just told me there are less than 10 servers online. Rofl. Daniel Erickson and co. need to find jobs in a different industry.

Later.

Come on, man....nobody is dumb enough to not notice their account being charged for 15 months. Nobody.

ROTHC must be at least doing well enough that Blizzard paid one of their shills to re-up his account and bump his old outdated thread. How lazy.

Daniel Erickson hasn't been with Bioware since last July, incidentally, he is with Blue Point games now.

Edited by chuixupu

I think the OP's bias is what alot of beta testers were saying. Bioware ignored their critiques, didn't fix bugs and did not have essential content ready when the game shipped. What swtor is now is what it should of been on the release date. And then it would be somewhat competitive with other mmo's. Because he was a beta tester you have to take in that he did make his constructive critiques. However, Bioware ignored them. If you havn't spoken to people that beta tested the game. Try it. People were pretty let down by the whole experience. I mean Karagga's Palace wasn't finished when the game shipped. They rushed it out the door and bonethrasher would bug and wipe everyone over and over and over.

Is the game any different now? Well yes. However it's not likely we'll see the type of changes that need to happen. Guilds still really serve no purpose other than an extended friends list. Massive loading times. Multiple unnecessary loading screens. Not everything is going to be constructive. Sometimes you need to just call things as they are.

This new expansion, I'm going to play it until I finish both of the new ops in storymode. Then I'm going to unsub. Swtor is what it is, and gets boring very very fast. Things that should be here are not. We're still in pre-season ranked warzones. If preseason is the first year of the game, when is the actual season? Or how long until they cut that idea/feature out of the game?

Same as playing CS:S... I play CS since beta 2.4 and CS:S is a joke... but oh well... I'm just old school anyway, these "new versions" of CS and "PVP" your generation came up with are just faint shadows of how things were and how they should be.

Oh wow, when skimming over that I figured he meant leading some kind of Customer Service team in real life, and that's why he thought he was such a big deal. :o