SWTOR Unleashed (game files in RAM to improve performance)

exca

• Replies 887
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, has anyone noticed any difference with this? I mean as of late. I tried it, and didn't notice any fps boost. Maybe a slight loading boost...but not sure. I'll try it again sometime though.

Running win 8 with 8gb of ram.

Two questions:

1. Does anybody notice a difference in uploading the different planets into unleashed. I have done that for a long time and now that I removed them I hardly notice a difference.

2. What files are best to upload to smooth the load time to FPs and WZs? I have read somewhere that there are files that can do that but I can´t find that post anymore.

Edited by Icestar

Two questions:

1. Does anybody notice a difference in uploading the different planets into unleashed. I have done that for a long time and now that I removed them I hardly notice a difference.

2. What files are best to upload to smooth the load time to FPs and WZs? I have read somewhere that there are files that can do that but I can´t find that post anymore.

Honestly, I don't find this program makes any difference. Maybe I'm doing it wrong.

Honestly, I don't find this program makes any difference. Maybe I'm doing it wrong.

It makes a difference for me ingame with higher FPS during gameplay

I however cant find a use for uploading planets and the other files except the ones unleashed recommends

I've been using it for months, I don't see any real 'boost', what I do see is what the program is designed for, a reduction in bad times.

Example: without unleashed it was real common for me to hit spots where my FPS dropped from 40-60 normal into the 10-20 range which made combat *ahem* difficult, and some fights I even saw it go under 10 FPS.

With unleashed I rarely see the FPS drop below 40, and if it does its for less time which gives a much smoother game and combat.

If someone had a GFX card that was of lesser memory causing the system to load and unload things more often it could actually provide a 'boost' effect because the textures would be loading from the faster ram drive not the hard drive.

Looking for what files do what : UMMV

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=529567&page=34

I started to use this program before 2-3 months and in the begining I was exited and though my game running faster but recently after the new patches the game started to run slow - its a bit laggy on Ilum. Yesterday I started the game from the launcher and I think its run faster :p I dont have game performance lag on Ilum. Maybe my SWTOR Unleashed version is old , but for last 2 days when I not using it , my game performance increased a bit. WHen I used the Unleased , I selected all FX / Dynamic options.

So, has anyone noticed any difference with this? I mean as of late. I tried it, and didn't notice any fps boost. Maybe a slight loading boost...but not sure. I'll try it again sometime though.

Running win 8 with 8gb of ram.

As far as I'm aware, it's not supposed to give an FPS boost, just reduce load times.

Latest patch appears to have broken this? I load all the game files into RAM with this, and as of today I'm getting errors. :C

Works when it's just recommended settings, though. ;_;

The error window doesn't last long enough, but it's complaining about not having enough space for temporary workspaces, and asking if I have 2GB free. I note that the RAM drive when fully populated has only 975 MB left, it used to have like 1.5 GB or so previously.

I have 32GB of RAM, and as previously noted: I am loading alllllll the files with SWTOR Unleashed.

Edited by Kirazy

Solved my problem by manually editing the XML file in the Unleashed folder and changing it from 21282 to 23282, now I have enough room. :|

ALL I did was delete the SwtorUnleashed.xml file and reset all my setting, im still at

<RamDriveSize>21609</RamDriveSize> :) ... exact line in new file . :) .

same as the old file ..

Edited by tanktest

Very strange. Been using Unleashed since it first was introduced and love it. Had no issues at all till now. I had to do a fresh install of Windows 7 yesterday. Today I re-installed everything including Unleashed and IMdisk, but when I try to start Unleashed it is telling me that IMdisk isn't installed correctly. I'm able to open the IMdisk control panel with no issues but when trying to mount a drive from IMdisk it's telling me the "driver is being locked".

So whats up with that?

I've uninstalled and re-installed several times. Rebooted computer to make sure all was good. Just can't seem to get IMdisk to run.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ALL I did was delete the SwtorUnleashed.xml file and reset all my setting, im still at

<RamDriveSize>21609</RamDriveSize> :) ... exact line in new file . :) .

same as the old file ..

Your solution, it sounds more elegant.

For some reason, SWTOR would crash to desktop whenever I would load Hoth after the 2.3 patch.

Unfortunately, deleting the settings XML didn't work for me. I bumped up my RAM drive by a couple hundred MB in the settings XML and everything is happy now.

I believe this program may have casued my game to start running HORRIBLY. Everything is running very poorly now and it's not connecion based. I removed the program from my computer but did it make changes to the files that are still there? If so how can I undo this or will I need to untill and reinstall everything?

I believe this program may have casued my game to start running HORRIBLY. Everything is running very poorly now and it's not connecion based. I removed the program from my computer but did it make changes to the files that are still there? If so how can I undo this or will I need to untill and reinstall everything?

This program doesn't change any of the files. it Simply makes a copy of them in a RAM drive and leaves pointers to them with the originals. This state persists until you do a remove and quit or until you restart (which dumps the ramdrive).

If the game seems unstable or to have any problems at all, I recommend not only deleting the XML file and letting it rebuild the settings, but also deleting the disk cache file. as a cache file the game will recreate it during launch and it tends to occasionally get corrupted.

Personally I run a session after the disk cache has been deleted in retail, then go back unleashed. This lets me confirm the issue with the game itself is resolved before I reload into the RAMdrive.

@---Katsumoto--- : are you running the IM disk from the unleashed folder or a downloaded copy?

Either way I'd uninstall it. Reinstall and reboot. then try the ramdisk creation. if that is failing its an issue with imdisk not unleashed and you might need a copy from the imdisk website or from the unleashed folder sometimes the computer likes one version over another.

If the game seems unstable or to have any problems at all, I recommend not only deleting the XML file and letting it rebuild the settings, but also deleting the disk cache file. as a cache file the game will recreate it during launch and it tends to occasionally get corrupted.

Personally I run a session after the disk cache has been deleted in retail, then go back unleashed. This lets me confirm the issue with the game itself is resolved before I reload into the RAMdrive.

@---Katsumoto--- : are you running the IM disk from the unleashed folder or a downloaded copy?

Either way I'd uninstall it. Reinstall and reboot. then try the ramdisk creation. if that is failing its an issue with imdisk not unleashed and you might need a copy from the imdisk website or from the unleashed folder sometimes the computer likes one version over another.

good point I total forgot about deleing the DiskCacheArena, I mean forgot to say if you delete the SwtorUnleashed.xml , don't forget to delete the DiskCacheArena . :) . might be why I don't need to change the ram size ,at least why for me .

This program doesn't change any of the files. it Simply makes a copy of them in a RAM drive and leaves pointers to them with the originals. This state persists until you do a remove and quit or until you restart (which dumps the ramdrive).

Well I'm not sure what happened maybe I uninstalled SWTOR unleashed incorrectly? Anyway I completely removed all traces of it and SWTOR from my computer using ccleaner then reinstalled and repatched the game and it fixed the issue. The game was unplayable after the unleashed install. I believe maybe my computer just did not have enough RAM to make use of the program.

Can this be used on USB Thumb Drives turned into RAM via "Ready Boost"? I have 8 GB RAM installed on my PC and I have an additional 16 GB RAM through a 16 GB thumb drive via "Ready Boost," a windows program. I was wanting to use 8-10GB on the RAM USB thumb drive for Unleashed if its possible? If so, I'm guessing SWTOR Unleashed will also be slower having to go through a USB 2.0 port rahter than using the RAM installed within the PC? Would it be more optimal for me to just use around 4GB of my 8GB installed RAM? Thanks for your time Edited by MasterCrumB