SWTOR Unleashed (game files in RAM to improve performance)

exca

Hello, all, :)

Thank you, Nihilus, Exca, and everyone. I've greatly enjoyed using SWTOR Unleashed for the last few months. However, since 2.2 came out, it's not working properly for me.

It seems to me that the assets have grown slightly larger, or something, because the RAM drive is filling up completely and TOR is crashing on a planet change, with Windows complaining that the RAM drive is out of space.

I've tried creating the (slightly larger) RAM drive outside of Unleashed and forcing Unleashed to use it, but the GUI launcher isn't that smart - it wants to create its own RAM drive, no matter what.

I know that the batch file can be forced to use a pre-existing RAM drive, but is there a way to do it for the GUI? I don't really want to get into fiddling with the .bat file, if I don't have to.

Thanks!

• Replies 887
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad it works good for some people, but not only does it seemingly offer very minimal improvement for me, but it also fills my system event log every 5 seconds with a warning about being unable to flush data to the transaction log, this continues even after I use the remove and quit option on Unleashed, and doesn't stop until I reboot. Soon as I start up Unleashed after a reboot, it happens again.

Probably happens to other people, they just never notice it. I'm sure it's harmless but I like to keep a close eye on my event log for any potential problems, and all that spam makes it harder to notice any.

Edited by Stncold

Hi, DarthV,

Everyone having issues: All I can suggest is to download ImDisk 1.7.5, released today, from HERE and see if it works.

Looking at the changelog for 1.7.5, I have a hard time seeing how this would change anything. However, I will try it tonight. Thanks for the suggestion!

Jasontiller: Unfortunately what your looking at for using another ramdisk is needing to manually adjust the BAT files, the exe is mostly a tool that adds items or subtracts them from the bat file, then runs it. Using any other RAM disk program is going to require manual modifications.

When unleashed gives you a size of RAM drive does that match what is created?

How much RAM do you have, and Which items are you selecting to have loaded?

Does it have the same issue if you only select the cache files?

STNcold:

What does the warning say?

if its happening after a removal of the ramdrive it sounds like a conflict with the RAMdisk program and something on your system rather than with unleashed itself.

have you tried a selective startup with only the microsoft items and services running to see if another program is in conflict with Unleashed or the Ramdisk?

pingumacht, zorblack:

Can you give us the system specs( OS, amount of RAM) and what items your selecting?

Hi, Lust, :)

Jasontiller: Unfortunately what your looking at for using another ramdisk is needing to manually adjust the BAT files, the exe is mostly a tool that adds items or subtracts them from the bat

file, then runs it. Using any other RAM disk program is going to require manual modifications.

Interesting. So, you're saying that the GUI is really nothing more than a front-end for creating the batch file? Huh, that's good to know. I might, for example, use the GUI to select all the files I want, save and quit, and then manually modify the batch file to increase the size of the RAM disk...

BTW, I'm using ImDisk. All I tried to do was manually create a RAM disk using the ImDisk control panel interface and then force Unleashed to use that drive letter. Nothing fancy. :)

When unleashed gives you a size of RAM drive does that match what is created?

Yes, it did. The GUI showed that the files added up to 17.5GB, and the RAM disk was correctly sized. But, the disk would run out of space and ToR would crash.

How much RAM do you have, and Which items are you selecting to have loaded?

I have 24GB. The exact selections are at home on my computer, but I chose basically everything minus a few worlds I infrequently visit and the "streamed" files, which seemed to be large. BTW, If ToR takes 2.5GB, the OS takes 1GB, and I had a 17.5GB RAM disk, I should have plenty of memory left over. And note that I don't run anything else, generally - this Windows installation is exclusively for playing games, so no antivirus or junk like that.

Does it have the same issue if you only select the cache files?

I'll have to try that. Thank you for the suggestion and for all you've done! I'm also going to download 3.3.4 and try that tonight, too. :) I appreciate all you've done to make life easier forus ToR players. And I'm sorry that the author is no longer playing, but there are a lot of wonderful games out there, to be sure. :)

Looking at the changelog for 1.7.5, I have a hard time seeing how this would change anything. However, I will try it tonight. Thanks for the suggestion!

Following up to my message, I downloaded the new Unleashed (3.3.4), set it up with my favorite options, and it ran beautifully tonight! I don't know exactly what changed. I did remove the previous Unleashed folder, uninstalled the previous ImDisk, and reinstalled from the ImDisk provided with Unleashed 3.3.4.

I'll let you know if I have any other troubles, but as of now things are looking much better. :) Thank you!

I'm Glad the suggestions and new version help Jason,

Personally I think what happens is when it does certain patches, they corrupt something in the configuration of unleashed which ends up causing that no room issue you were having.

oh and based on your 24 gig, i'd recommend 16 for the Max ramdisk size, OSes tend to use a lot more than we think especially if the physical memory shows as having lots of room.

EX: Glad to see your still improving this, Thanks for all the work, While I haven't seen any super jumps, its done what it was designed to, it has minimized the gfx issues the game still has that used to give me the 10fps crawls.

In fact its probably one of the biggest reasons I still play.

When I originally downloaded this I have having certain chest pieces be invisible (which was irritating but I worked around it by buying chest pieces I could see) but now my entire lower body is invisible and everyone elses, its pretty funny lol.

Here are some screenshots.

My character.

http://i848.photobucket.com/albums/ab45/thescaper/Screenshot_2013-06-13_14_42_00_491808_zps8a3fadcc.jpg

People on the fleet.

http://i848.photobucket.com/albums/ab45/thescaper/Screenshot_2013-06-13_14_43_52_330205_zps0fbbcd69.jpg

What my settings are.

http://i848.photobucket.com/albums/ab45/thescaper/swtorunleashed_zps8cf63365.png

Does anyone have any suggestions towards fixing this?

I downloaded the new IMDisk and new version of Swtor unleashed. Still have the same settings.

Going to try what exca said on his metasharp link.

Alright I tried this - Then try recommended settings (DiskArena + LocalApp + FX + Dynamic) and it fixed my invisible lower body bug, Thanks!

Unfortunately I don't have enough available ram to try anymore options, and I am quite happy with how the game is running now :D

It appears it is either caused by.. not checking DiskArena + Local APP

or

Checking

swtor_main_anim_humanoid_bfab_1.tor

swtor_main_anim_humanoid_bfns_1.tor

swtor_main_anim_humanoid_bmaf_1.tor

swtor_main_anim_humanoid_bmns_1.tor

I'm not sure but those are the settings that I dont have set anymore.

Edited by Jakev-

Just installed and checked everything it said to check for pvp but when I logged into SWTOR everything that shoud be text on my UI and whole screen were just blocks and lines (exp. IIIIIIIIIIII) what do I do to fix this?

• 3 weeks later...
Just installed and checked everything it said to check for pvp but when I logged into SWTOR everything that shoud be text on my UI and whole screen were just blocks and lines (exp. IIIIIIIIIIII) what do I do to fix this?

What might help is allowing the extra 100mb. That fixed a lot of bugs for me.

• 3 weeks later...

I found deleting the disk cache before you run a new version helps, on many issues, and many times when something funny starts to happen, remove and quit, delete the disk cache and restart will fix.

the 100 MB probably should be on by default since it does seem to make a huge difference on a lot of issues.

This is one of the best free programs i've ever had and probably the only reason I still subscribe instead of switching down to the FTP side of the game.

I've tried looking this up, but was unable to find if anyone else asked this (I did find one, but it was brushed off).

I am a Windows XP user. I cannot afford to upgrade to Windows 7/8. I am wonder if this program has been tested with Windows XP and if it will work?

I've tried looking this up, but was unable to find if anyone else asked this (I did find one, but it was brushed off).

I am a Windows XP user. I cannot afford to upgrade to Windows 7/8. I am wonder if this program has been tested with Windows XP and if it will work?

Sure. Why would you want to?

Windows XP can only read up to about 3.5GB of RAM. With that RAM limit, plus the amount the operating system and the game use simultaneously, there wouldn't be enough RAM left for the RAMDisk.

Unless your system has over 4GB of RAM and you can break Windows enough to let you use the leftover RAM that XP can't even see...

On Page 4 there already is an answer from Exca: klick me!

Windows XP can only read up to about 3.5GB of RAM. With that RAM limit, plus the amount the operating system and the game use simultaneously, there wouldn't be enough RAM left for the RAMDisk.

You are 100% correct, I didn't even think about that. And my system has 4GB, so this would be of no value to me. Thanks.

Edited by mad_cat