Developer Update: Class Changes and Balance in Game Update 1.4

CourtneyWoods

Congrats BioWare. You did something that I didn't think was possible. You made Resolve WORSE.

Stellar job.

^THIS^

Never thought I'd be one to say it on these forums, but i have finally unsubbed. Friends jumped ship months ago, and this sealed it up for me. Enjoy standing still in WZs

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If this is the "balance" we can expect, well I really see no other option, I will be going FTP. I really aint gonna pay for something thats broken. What about the tanks which have trouble tanking? I think DPS classes have had enuff love, show other classes the same FFS.

What NOOOOO! how am i going to clear circle around my sage now when im being swamped??? If you haven't noticed clearly the when you heal people make a beeline straight to you, so then my healer is going to get swamped and all i will be able to do is make a small window in front of me!

Apart from that lil point i had to point out, all looks good, BRING OUT SOON PLEASE! ;)

^THIS^

Never thought I'd be one to say it on these forums, but i have finally unsubbed. Friends jumped ship months ago, and this sealed it up for me. Enjoy standing still in WZs

Don't worry, maybe they'll sell CC breaker potions in the store.

Every class balance change makes me wish PvP and PvE had totally separate specs.

This^.

After reading through the changes, I am really not looking forward to this patch at all. I *hate* that the focus of these changes is PvP, and the results on PvE play are not really considered. Why must you cater to one part of the playerbase at the expense of another?

Of all my time playing this game not once have I seen someone complaning about knockbacks as they are now. If anything I see people complaning about how many stuns there are more often than not.

you should come raid with my guild.

we consider it a dps failure if the mob gets to stand still instead of being bounced around by push, pull, or knocked back somehow.. >_>

Mercs loose a knockback? this is some ********. fix this

reading comprehension fail.

mercs are not "loosing" (the word you're looking for is losing) a knockback, they said that it didn't affect merc/commandos as much, so they didn't change it.

Why do you HATE sorcs Bioware?

These changes do NOTHING for overall survivability (ie NO defensive cooldown) or to reflect the disparity in DPS with other classes, as in we are the bottom of the heap in PvE and no burst in PVP.

Guess you just glossed over the "HOW TO MAKE SORCS BETTER" and "WHAT WOULD YOU LIKE TO SEE" threads.

EPIC FAIL. AGAIN.

Edited by Chemic_al

For people complaining, mercs still have the jet boost to knock people away, I admit I would have loved to have seen the rocket punch talent knock back AND root, but at least we're still keeping a knockback and gaining a snare.

And honestly I don't see why people keep saying mercs/commandos are "terrible DPS" I see plenty of guilds running DPS mercs/commandos and my own guild I run as a DPS merc, we've cleared all content on nightmare mode and we have the first two bosses in HM denova down with me as a DPS merc.

The change to Electro Dart range is a bit much for certain PVP scenarios. Changing the range to 15-20m would be a lot more reasonable, especially regarding the Mercenary Arsenal tactics and play type.

For example: An extremely important part of Huttball is controlling the middle. The only way to get a Sniper/Gunslinger off of a ramp/catwalk at middle is to stun them (while the other 6 members of the team are on O or D), THEN pull them to effective DPS range. Reducing the range of Electro Dart to 10m would make that virtually impossible, requiring you to stand almost directly underneath the catwalk/ramp. A GS/Sniper is not going to be nice enough to take cover at the very edge of a catwalk/ramp to allow me do this. Even if it were to succeed, I would have to run back to put considerable distance between my stunned target and myself to ensure a clean Grapple pull (i.e. making sure my target didn't get "stuck on the edge" of the platform I was trying to pull him from). By that time, the GS/Sniper in question (at moderate skill level) has already used his Freedom CD and returned to Cover.

On another note, I also feel that the changes made to Overload and Force Wave would give moderately skilled attacking players a much greater advantage over Inquisitor/Consular players of equal or lesser skill level. The "cone effect" change is simply too cumbersome for most players' skill levels in PVP, while maintaining it as a defensive ability. As someone that PVP's every day, for hours a day, I've never once personally said nor heard any reference to Overload and/or Force Wave being out-of-line, as far as the power of its utility is concerned. Perhaps this could be Advanced Class specific, with the Sorcerers/Sages getting the current AOE, and the Shadows/Assassins getting the cone (seeing that Sins/Shadows are more front-line offensive AC's).

You know you're wrong, right? If you truly believe Shadows are the worst tanks, then you don't understand how mitigation and avoidance works in this game.

I have actually used the method of lagrange multiplier to find the optimized point fo defense, shield and absorb to determine min squishiness (expected fraction of incoming damage) for vangaurds and shadow tanks. I understand sins has better internal/elemental, but that does not make up for the fact that we have no armoring, which was only made worse by 1.3.

I think you are the one that does niot understand the maths... let me help u:

Juggernaut

Squishiness 0.271094018987452

SigmaSquish 0.226892305330718

Spikey-ness 1.58824613731503

PT

Squishiness 0.257624324194631

SigmaSquish 0.192340212356521

Spikey-ness 1.34638148649564

Assassin

Squishiness 0.296295104913598

SigmaSquish 0.26137994914345

Spikey-ness 1.82965964400415

http://mmo-mechanics.com/swtor/forums/thread-615-page-22.html

do u see how assassins have the more squishy, most unreliable and most spikey of all tanks?

that was rhetorical.

not only that, but the PT with their 20% accuracy debuff is the same as giving them 20% defense 1/3 of the time, which is like a 7% defense buff averaged over time, compared to sins 5%. they get 23% buff to shield out of the gate, where as sins need to use a cooldown every 8 seconds (oh what fun that is) to maintain our 20% buff.

Was hoping for some love for melee classes.

Just has a group unable to take down bonecrusher cause we just had too many melee types in the fight and his cleave and leap abilities just ment the healers couldn't keep up and to pull out range ment the fight went on too long and he enraged.

Talking of control there needs to be more options for melee classes to control a fight and either having to leave the fight oe just get hit.

On another note, I also feel that the changes made to Overload and Force Wave would give moderately skilled attacking players a much greater advantage over Inquisitor/Consular players of equal or lesser skill level. The "cone effect" change is simply too cumbersome for most players' skill levels in PVP, while maintaining it as a defensive ability. As someone that PVP's every day, for hours a day, I've never once personally said nor heard any reference to Overload and/or Force Wave being out-of-line, as far as the power of its utility is concerned. Perhaps this could be Advanced Class specific, with the Sorcerers/Sages getting the current AOE, and the Shadows/Assassins getting the cone (seeing that Sins/Shadows are more front-line offensive AC's).

THIS. Bolded part in particular.

Lol - nerf to resolve. It could be different in organised groups but in random WZ resolve even now kicks in too late - stunned player is already dead or is left with less than 10% hp (and will be dead in a second or two). Maybe you should remove resolve and don't pretend that PVP in SW is anything more than StunWars. :/

Why do you HATE sorcs Bioware?

These changes do NOTHING for overall survivability (ie NO defensive cooldown) or to reflect the disparity in DPS with other classes, as in we are the bottom of the heap in PvE and no burst in PVP.

Guess you just glossed over the "HOW TO MAKE SORCS BETTER" and "WHAT WOULD YOU LIKE TO SEE" threads.

EPIC FAIL. AGAIN.

I don't think I could have said it better. It's great that a sorc will now be able to knock everything away in front...but what about the guys attacking from behind. That whole 120 degree cone isn't going to do crap to help a sorc stay alive in pvp. When I saw this thread I was slightly optimistic that I would see some substantial changes for class balance, like upping Sorc DPS, more survivability then 1 self heal, or toning down the outlandishly high marauder/sentinel dps. I was also expecting to find more on resolve then, we've made it stupid proof.

Do any of the devs read any forum posts?

Dogs go "woof"

Cows go "moo"

PvPers go "The classes aren't balanced"

Dear Devs,

Please nerf Paper and buff Rock. Scissors is fine.

Signed Rock

Thanks for update Devs. It's appreciated, although address some of the other minor bug and feature concerns would be more appreciated.

Edited by Hessen