intel core i5-2320 (3.20ghz)

8 gb ram

256gb ssd

nvidia geforce gtx 680

win 7 pro 64bit

fleet i usually get terrible frame rates. usually 15-20

running around most planets it bounces all over the place. from 30-100 fps

it only seems to occur when more people are present and bunched together

i built my pc specifically for this game. i just upgraded my gf's pc with the exact same set up except she has a geforce 460. in fleet she usually gets 50-80fps!! it really is upsetting how much $ i spent on this gtx 680 and get such awful performance from this game. gw2 not a hitch since pre launch

::edit spelling::

Edited by piruned

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They tend to be bundled with our updates simply due to the extensive testing required. As for "something more," I think you just may be reading a bit too much into it, TUX. :) It just makes sense from a customer relations, developer, and studio perspective to continually improve our tech which is what I was trying to get across in my original post. We want optimizations/improvements as much as you guys do and are actively working on them.

Extensive testing? That is kind of tough to see happening when the test sever is not even available. Every other MMO I have played actually has a group of players that like to help test and form a good stable helpful community on their test servers. No chance of seeing that in SWTOR. But, then again this is a game that has gone out of its way to make it hard for players to form a good stable community.

Just wanted to chime in..

as ive done pretty much every tweak in existence to try and get decent framerates, and i think a few days ago i hit jackpot (trust me, if its a tweak suggested by someone somewhere , ive tried it)

DX9

yep, not even kidding you, just install the DX9 libraries (dx11 doesnt include all of them, and thus to my understanding "emulates" them) wich seems to be a big bottleneck with this engine since it uses DX9 libraries to render or w/e that apparently dx11 doesnt have, not only does it look 20 times better , AA runs smoother and is sharper, and the load times are DRASTICALLY reduced for me ,just from this fix alone

my specs are

phenom 9500

2 x 9800 gtx+'s

4 gb ram (low i know but i got 64bit copy of win the other day and havent gotten around to upgrading ram, moot since the game hardly uses 3 but still )

also, clearing cache and cleaning up memory strings with memcleaner seems to smooth out my performance after jumping around from a few planets (seems game isnt dumping its cache and just keeps piling up with all the stuff that gets loaded with each planet)

a lot of misinformation getting thrown around in here.

Bioware/EA did not receive a full version of Hero Engine. in fact they got a demo version at best. this was explained on Hero Engine's website.

it was Bioware/EA's choice to run with the incomplete engine and we the players are suffering for it.

on a good note, i have a radeon 6870 and im running the game at all max settings (minus anti-aliasing) at around 60-110fps and 40-50fps in warzones.

im very pleased with its performance.

I do want to just pop in and point out that don't forget this is the first ever MMO Bioware has ever done, naturally there will be hiccups, and Bioware is learning from mistakes and fixing them as fast as they can (again don't forget that they recently had to cut people in their staff so that leads to delays as well), it probably wasn't the smartest move to run this game on a demo version of an engine but I have noticed that the game is getting better each update with little engine hiccups not occurring, so they're slowly getting it fixed up.

I honestly don't know what it is with other people having issues since my computer is rather decent specifically an HP Pavilion HPE H-8 1234 PC with an AMD Six-Core FX-6120 processor, 10 gigs ram, and Radeon HD 7450 graphics card with a 1G DDR-3 and I can run this game on high settings with little to no trouble. Whatever it is that's causing people with higher end computers then that I'm clueless about.

I honestly don't know what it is with other people having issues since my computer is rather decent specifically an HP Pavilion HPE H-8 1234 PC with an AMD Six-Core FX-6120 processor, 10 gigs ram, and Radeon HD 7450 graphics card with a 1G DDR-3 and I can run this game on high settings with little to no trouble. Whatever it is that's causing people with higher end computers then that I'm clueless about.

Have you tried 16 man operations or the Nightmare Pilgrim with max settings at 1080p? What's your fps there?

Edited by Frumyrfrenzy

I hope there is optimization. I have a pretty good computer except for the graphics card wich isn't all that great (and it's "integrated" which means I can't even swap it out for a good one. Bleh). If I set the game to very low settings it runs pretty smoothly for the most part...and only looks distasteful, not downright ugly like some people say. However there are certain areas of the game that just slow to a crawl on me no matter what my settings are, it seems to be areas that have smoke and inside of caves for some reason. I don't PVP so it isn't game breaking, but it is still quite frustrating.

intel core i5-2320 (3.20ghz)

8 gb ram

256gb ssd

nvidia geforce gtx 680

win 7 pro 64bit

fleet i usually get terrible frame rates. usually 15-20

running around most planets it bounces all over the place. from 30-100 fps

it only seems to occur when more people are present and bunched together

i built my pc specifically for this game. i just upgraded my gf's pc with the exact same set up except she has a geforce 460. in fleet she usually gets 50-80fps!! it really is upsetting how much $ i spent on this gtx 680 and get such awful performance from this game. gw2 not a hitch since pre launch

::edit spelling::

Have you tried turning down your visible player limit? That tends to help a lot.

a lot of misinformation getting thrown around in here.

Bioware/EA did not receive a full version of Hero Engine. in fact they got a demo version at best. this was explained on Hero Engine's website.

it was Bioware/EA's choice to run with the incomplete engine and we the players are suffering for it.

on a good note, i have a radeon 6870 and im running the game at all max settings (minus anti-aliasing) at around 60-110fps and 40-50fps in warzones.

im very pleased with its performance.

Hero engine makes me sad. Comparing to some of the competition it gets even more sad where there can be hundred+ players on the screen with all kind of effects without the game reducing to slideshow.

Guess their demo version was just for small crowds :(

I have not done anything 40X40 and I think that is a bit extreme.. The Pilgram fight I did lastnight had about 20 peeps or so.. Could have been less.. Warzones have 2 teams of 8 and Raids have 16 man.. So I don't know where your going to get a 40X40.. I don't think you are playing SWTOR..

In either case.. You are asking a lot for any game engine to rendar 80 people and their skills and effects with flawless smoothness.. You would need a computer more powerful than anything on the market and a direct fiber optic link to your computer.. That many people, your internet can cause hiccups.. Still not the games fault..

Warhammer doesn't have nearly the game graphics that this game has so that is irrelevent. Sorry..

You can disagree all you want.. If you want to sit and do nothing and blame the game.. Fine.. Be my guest.. You aren't going to accomplish anything..

They are not stupid.. They test stuff.. They know the performance of their gaming engine.. You can deny it all you want.. They have countless tests to prove it.. If you are having an issue, then you must show them why and give them enough info to reproduce it.. Just saying..

Bold statement there considering that GW2 can run hundreds of people flawlessly, in the same area. Same computer different game.

seriously people, enough bickering, i would first try to install the DX9 library package, and tweak a few things and clean install drivers first, i used to get horrible performance but disabling windows aero and the DX9 install took care of 90 percent of my fps/stutter issues

now im not discounting anyones experience i have witnessed shoddy , inexplicable performance on downright amazing rigs , i think its poor implementation of how draw calls are made and rendered with dx9 and different video drivers on a card by card basis, so your mileage may vary and may explain why sometimes somewhat older/weaker rigs seem to get better performance out there

Who thinks the current swtor model would be able to handle GW2's WvWvW? Anyone? Not that I'm saying it

has to, as this isn't primarily a pvp based game, but it is the most recent AAA competition.

Which is why we have yet to even hear what's going on with Ilum, they know they can't offer mass pvp with their engine.

I was blown away at the sheer scope of the battlefield in that GW2 with the amount of players and spell effects going on, on top of the pretty impressive graphics, I have encountered zero issues with framerates and my comp is barely working. In swtor I have to bring a fan into the room because my computer gets ridiculously hot while running it.

Magik claiming fail logic but how is it that people who have these beast rigs with no problems playing games like

BF3, crisis, GW, etc run into FPS issues with just this game? Cuz that makes sense right...

This is a common complaint from many and so I am sure there is a problem. But I am kind of baffled why this is...because for myself , with a not top of the line computer, I7 2600, Radeon 6850, Vsync on , monitor refresh set to 60 hz..all settings maxed..I was getting 60 fps everywhere..runs, on Fleet...etc. So my reasons for unsubbing had nothing to do with the optimizations.

I have the same setup, i7 2600K with 8Gb RAM and a 6850. I have very little lag anywhere, except flashpoints. The place I noticed it the most recently was in Hammer Station and Athiss. Give those a run through. I ran them solo.

Who thinks the current swtor model would be able to handle GW2's WvWvW?

Well my computer couldn't handle GW2's WvWvW (if full of players) and neither did my friend's high end computer.. he had like 2 fps all the time. Other than that the game runs just fine on my over 3 year old computer at the highest settings just like this game runs fine too at the highest settings.

Edited by Skorz

Have you tried 16 man operations or the Nightmare Pilgrim with max settings at 1080p? What's your fps there?

Yes, but I don't feel the need to play with max settings, I run a smooth 30-50 FPS the whole time on high settings. Sorry to burst your bubble.

EDIT: To be more specific I can run it at max settings with my FPS being around 20-30, tolerable but I really didn't notice too much of a difference between high and max so I went to high settings and I've been content with it, unlike some people (which seems to be quite alot of people in this thread) I don't look at graphics as a selling point of a game.

Edited by Twickers

Yes, but I don't feel the need to play with max settings, I run a smooth 30-50 FPS the whole time on high settings. Sorry to burst your bubble.

EDIT: To be more specific I can run it at max settings with my FPS being around 20-30, tolerable but I really didn't notice too much of a difference between high and max so I went to high settings and I've been content with it, unlike some people (which seems to be quite alot of people in this thread) I don't look at graphics as a selling point of a game.

I don't look at graphics as a seeling point either, but the performance in a multiplayer environment especially in a MMO. And the difference in performance from 8 player operation to 16 players is huge. That's what's bothering me and other people. Again, two gtx 570 can't do it, neither does a i7 2600 (which a CSR told me is the problem, it's to slow for swtor under those conditions). So if a i7 2600 is to slow for 16 people + Boss in swtor, but more than sufficient for 64 people in BF3 (with more demanding visuals) then the lack of optimization is obvious. We are only talking about 16 characters on screen doing their fighting. Maybe now you can understand why there is some asking for optimization.

I don't look at graphics as a seeling point either, but the performance in a multiplayer environment especially in a MMO. And the difference in performance from 8 player operation to 16 players is huge. That's what's bothering me and other people. Again, two gtx 570 can't do it, neither does a i7 2600 (which a CSR told me is the problem, it's to slow for swtor under those conditions). So if a i7 2600 is to slow for 16 people + Boss in swtor, but more than sufficient for 64 people in BF3 (with more demanding visuals) then the lack of optimization is obvious. We are only talking about 16 characters on screen doing their fighting. Maybe now you can understand why there is some asking for optimization.

Yeah I don't think anyone would claim SWTOR is well optimised at the moment, or at least that there isn't very significant room for improvement.

I'm not sure why people are complaining about performance and frame rate. Granted, both my machines are fairly beast, but I've never had any issues in any zone. My main machine is an i7 (3.4Ghz), 16GB RAM, and a Radeon HD 6780 (1GB DDR5). The other is an ASUS RoG laptop with an i7 (2.8Ghz), 12GB RAM, and an nVidia 670 (3GB DDR5). I run both with all settings maxed, 1920x1080, etc, etc, etc. Never had a single problem with the game. I propose your issues are stemming from drivers, and/or a machine that needs some performance detailing (deleting caches, cleaning registry, defrag, etc).

Hey all, I just wanted to pop in and say we are actively working on various optimizations (both server and client) and will continue to do so. It's extremely important for us to continually make improvements to our technology so we can have users across a variety of system specs and support large living worlds for those users to craft their virtual lives.

can we get you guys to actually test these optimizations thoroughly? because the optimizations in 1.3 only exacerbated the optimization problems this game has

Hey all, I just wanted to pop in and say we are actively working on various optimizations (both server and client) and will continue to do so. It's extremely important for us to continually make improvements to our technology so we can have users across a variety of system specs and support large living worlds for those users to craft their virtual lives.

Every new patch says it has "new optimizations" (though curiously they hardly ever say what they are), yet my game performance has been trending downward since launch. Whatever optimizations that are being worked on or made in the past have been ineffective.

I think people need to realize MMOs are different. I can max Skyrim, but I still get around 40fps in WoW in Orgrimmar when it is busy. Why is that?

Intel Xeon 6-core W3680 3.45Ghz

8GB of Ram

ATI Radeon HD 5870 1GB

I have not done 40x40, that seems a little excessive. But I never drop below 40FPs on this game.

Edited by Nighthawked

That's nice to hear Matt, BUT you of all people know exactly how bad things are.

Why isn't the game engine capable of rendering more than 10 characters on screen at any reasonable framerates ? Like 40+ frames per second ?

Edited by Rogoo