Official F2P Announcement

Quinnt

I AGREE but i was refering to paid subs. LOTRO released most of that content after they went FTP.. So if people stop and think a little this is good news for us

Free to play didn't come until two years after this stuff was released. :)

• Replies 792
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I knew this was coming when they started doing to layoffs etc. I played LOTRO and DDO I knew this f2p announcement was coming. No communication followed by little to no bug fixes/content updates. Reshuffling of the senior management (no doubt due to the game failing hardcore) then the f2p announcement comes. In LOTRO at first it wasnt bad. Just fluff etc. You should see it now. Other than end game raid gear you can buy everything you want. A lot of the stuff is store only too.

Personally I think we should get 2000 points for being CE owners. Also should get 500 points per month for being a subscriber. Also we should get bonus points for every month we subbed since launch. Its how LOTRO did it and it made the transition better. I still have about 4000 points from when they went f2p. I just dont buy things off the store.

Okay, I was in LOTRO when they went f2p/premium/VIP. As a lifetime member, I benefited greatly.

They were no longer making money off the lifetimers - the lifetime membership was about 2 years worth of a sub. But they were VIP's, and got free Turbine points every month. And many of us still bought turbine points for cosmetics and stuff.

The fact of the matter is, f2p was a trial. All starting areas free, Bree, and Lonelands - that could get you up to mid 20's maybe. Those that liked it paid for more, or paid for a sub - it brought more customers in, and it TRIPLED Turbine's revenue. It SAVED DDO. I spent real money on both games. But I also know a couple who for the year after the model changed, never spent their amassed Turbine Points until the expansion came out the following year - they didn't spend a dime on the expansion, because they could buy it with their Turbine points.

Truthfully, I'll follow this thread as much as I can, but considering how it's grown , not sure how much I can.

Well, Bioware, I plan to keep my subscription, but all I ask is that for those who rather play for free, make it as unpleasant an experience as possible. 1-2 character slots. No access at all to social gear or orange gear. Hey they don't want to pay, they're stuck with green armor. No titles, no pets, no speeders. They have to use their run everywhere.

No fps, no ops, no talking in general chat, only says if that.

As I said, make it as miserable as you can. And let us subscribers keep getting new stuff. If the free people want in, they have to pay a subscription every month. NO cash stores. Unless it's more character slots for us subscribers.

They want anything at all, they have to pay. Want a boring crappy experience, keep playing for free.

im not on about raids im talking about the class missions.

thats my big problem with this i was looking forward to future class missions and contnueing my story on my characters but now i doubt bioware will get the funding to add new characters and such that are fully voiced, if anything they might do a conan which i beleive went from voiced to text based quests.

I think you will see tons more class mission once ftp goes live my friend. I would think you will see them monthly..

Paid subs get them free and FTP peeps will pay 2.99-4.99 to access them..

This is really good news man they will release so much stuff to get that 2.99 -4.99 purchases from ftp peep us real subs will be so happy.

LOL yes it's funny that the same people lobbying for GW2 due to the 'no sub' aspect are now bashing TOR for offering the same?

Curious world we live in :w_cool:

I see your point, except everyone on Gw2 will be on a level playing field in terms of no sub. On this you're getting extra for your money, I really don't see the hassle.

I AGREE but i was refering to paid subs. LOTRO released most of that content after they went FTP.. So if people stop and think a little this is good news for us

Then how come your not playing LOTOR F2P ?!?! Proof F2P does not work is the fact your here....

This is great news ! More players more money. I'm happy their making this change. I can still pay my little tiny 15 bucks a month for everything. Awesome ! Add some cool stuff to the store, I'll be happy to spend a few extra bucks each month for new stuff, plus my sub.

how is more players more money? unless they put ingame ads, they dont get a dime unless they feel compelled to buy cartel tokens (wich they can earn without spending a dime, just takes a long time im guessing) , all we subbers get is more server Qs, more ninja looters, more whining, more incessant anal [abiltiy name] spam, in short, the worst of the worst on the gaming community , why should i stay subbed? for the PROMISE of future flashpoints / ops on a timely manner? they need to prove to me first that they have the abilty to release contnent and squash bugs on a timely manner , so far , they havent done so in a very effective way tbh

The devs will answer a post about weather or not f2p people can post and there not even here yet ........but we cant get a answer on if we will be able to move all of our toons to 1 server before f2p comes out or not ........

is it that hard to give us a little hope ........

Riz

As of right now, this is completely fine. Not one thing they have advertized is "Buy this and kill your enemies faster!". Now all of the friends that quit merely because they don't want to pay for 2 monthly games will be coming back. :rak_03:

I'm waiting until I know what the "convenience features" are.

Wrong. They wont be able to raid as often, they wont be able to run WZ's as often, FP's, they will have limited bank slots, limited inventory slots, limited credit amount. By limiting your credit amount you cant even repair sometimes or buy expensive things. Also they will only be limited to a certain amount of character slots, probably 2. There are a TON of limitations which ive seen by playing DCUO F2P and LOTRO F2P. If you really like the game you will need to pay a sub to really get full enjoyment out of it.

They wont be able to raid at all first of all. And you over-exaggerate some of your stance...

First off, if they can't Raid, they aren't going to have gear that needs repair that exceeds even a couple thousand credits, nor is there any reason to buy expensive things. People who are F2P don't care about that stuff anyways. But at the end of it all, no where does it state there will be a limitation on both character slots or credits earnable, just on content provided. Making money in the game is not hard at all, and even people with limited access have the means to do it easily (doing daily missions, gathering slicing boxes, etc...).

The only two things worth doing at level 50 are Operations and Warzones... that's it. If you think there is a ton of people queuing for Flashpoints, there is something wrong... But they are allowing Flashpoint access, so people can still get the same gear out of a Flashpoint if they want to (granted at a slower pace) that they can from a story mode operation.

So really, unless BW reworks the way you earn things or alters their access for Free to Play, subscribers pay 15 bucks a month for access to Rakata/Campaign gear and play the Operations. Free to Play will still be able to get Columi, Black Hole, Battle Master, and War Hero gear, and if they are doing things that get that stuff, they are also making money to repair it, or don't even need to repair it at all (WZs).

Edited by Toogeloo

Well, Bioware, I plan to keep my subscription, but all I ask is that for those who rather play for free, make it as unpleasant an experience as possible. 1-2 character slots. No access at all to social gear or orange gear. Hey they don't want to pay, they're stuck with green armor. No titles, no pets, no speeders. They have to use their run everywhere.

No fps, no ops, no talking in general chat, only says if that.

As I said, make it as miserable as you can. And let us subscribers keep getting new stuff. If the free people want in, they have to pay a subscription every month. NO cash stores. Unless it's more character slots for us subscribers.

They want anything at all, they have to pay. Want a boring crappy experience, keep playing for free.

That pretty much amounts to the free up to level 15 system already in place.

So, the doom is announced.

I don't know who's more villain in this, EA or the Darths or the financial market.

Anyway, like when Stalin got hold of the USSR (instead of Trotsky) or when after the Cold War the market ran free as a bird, doom is announced and we are in a downwards spiral now.

It doesn't look bad, but that's them softening the news. Those Cartel Coins sound like the heart of future issues.

Off topic but this comment is quite ignorant.

The NEP (New Economic Plan) that started in the 1920's was Lenin's idea not Stalin's. Stalin never wanted a free market, and the NEP was only temporary in Lenin's eyes. Stalin started forced collectivization as soon as was able to finally consolidate unlimited power in 1927-1928. Collectivization destroyed soviet agriculture and it didn't achieve pre-soviet levels until the 60s.

I hope you learned something!

Edited by Xanikk

Awful. The failure continues...and accelerates

It's only a matter of time before I unsub for good now. The people in my warzones are bad enough as it is, now you're going to let F2Pers in them?

Kinda like the messiah MMO GW2?

LOTR also stopped making suginifcant expanshions

with a game like this with full VO i really dont see any major updates comming soon. it will more likly end up and small updates with rehashed diologue.

Yea, you have no idea what you're talking about.

The Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar was developed by Turbine, is subscription-based and free to play. It launched in North America, Australia, Japan and Europe on April 24, 2007. The first expansion pack, Mines of Moria, was released on November 17, 2008. The second expansion pack, Siege of Mirkwood, was released on December 1, 2009. The third expansion pack, Rise of Isengard, was announced on November 19, 2010 and is expected to be released on September 27, 2011.

Major expansion released every year plus patches through the year as well as another new expansion coming out very soon called Riders of Rohan™ Launching September 5th!

F2P has done wonders for that game even if you didn't like it.

So thats it then. I can't help but feel that Obi-Wan's words from Episode 3 fit this game to a "T".

.....to SWTOR

"YOU WERE THE CHOSEN ONE!!! IT WAS SAID YOU WOULD DESTROY THE MMO MARKET NOT JOIN THEM IN F2P DARKNESS. I LOVED YOU SWTOR!!!"

Then how come your not playing LOTOR F2P ?!?! Proof F2P does not work is the fact your here....

I actually still play it some but truth be told I was aways heavy into SWG and when I got rumor of SWTOR LOTRO was just a filler game. I only got time for one mmo full time and SWTOR is it for a long time as I'm not 18 no more life happens and game times becomes less and less.

Beside I bought the lifetime sub when lotro released..

I think you will see tons more class mission once ftp goes live my friend. I would think you will see them monthly..

Paid subs get them free and FTP peeps will pay 2.99-4.99 to access them..

This is really good news man they will release so much stuff to get that 2.99 -4.99 purchases from ftp peep us real subs will be so happy.

well as i said if they do and their are just like they are now not cheaply done and lack vo and a good story then ill stay you can scream i told u so till your blue in the face. :D

We have some information about this in the FAQ (http://www.swtor.com/support/helpcenter/6526). Here's the question and answer for you:

What happens if I decide to change from being a subscription player to a Free-to-Play member? What will happen to my credits, inventory, bank items, and characters?

Your account will automatically be downgraded and it will operate under the Free player restrictions. You will need to choose what items to keep with you within the restriction levels of the free access. Furthermore, you will be able to see, but not use, your excess credits, inventory slots, bank tabs, and extra characters.

Hope this helps clear it up a little!

I would hope you would follow like every other F2P MMO and offer legacy players who paid a fortune on buying the game and then paying for all this time special status.