Official F2P Announcement

Quinnt

Doesn't bug me whatsoever. play LotRO before f2p, and after...still a great game. Only thing i'd wish to see is a clean screen...turbine threw up a bunch of (IMO) obnoxious "LotRO store" buttons that really impacted my immersion. I hate trying to get into the feel of y toon after a long days work and have 3 different ads pup up at me saying, "hey, this is purchaseble in the store!"

If they do it decently (i.e. tastefully add links, not broadcast them), then I'm g2g with f2p. i can continur to play the game without a monthly sub, or go for their version of the VIP account if I want.

f2p is fine. just don't make it gaudy. personally, im looking forward to (if they do it, which they should) having legacy awards available via the store. perfect design for f2p IMO. you can either earn it via game currency, or unlock at the store.

• Replies 792
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Morons aren't even reading anything about it, they're just raging

"WAAH F2P! GAME IS DEAD! WAAH"

When if they had read it they'd have found if they kept their subscription it wouldn't affect them at all, except bring new players.

I completely AGREE!!!

With F2P follows a form of mis-management that is only seen in hell:

Patches that don't work correctly and have the opposite effect on things they're intended to change

Even more shoddy patches to fix the broken patches

BRs who ruin the game for everybody

A reliance on cash shop

Thought servers were bad now, they get even worse

Slower content updates

Devs really aren't motivated at all as who are they really trying to please?

Propaganda is fun to write isn't it?

There are plenty of MMOs that are f2p and do fine with regular content updates quicker than some p2p and perfectly stable patches servers and devs that care.

Devs aren't going to care where the money is coming from as long as they're paid to do well.

Unless you are relying on cosmetic items from the item shop you are speaking out of your ***

Whilst I agree that most MMO's are poor in giving large updates over long periods SW:TOR has not been the best of them. Just look at what Lotro gave after it launched in April 2007;

Book 9: Shores of Evendim

The first free content update was released on June 14, 2007.[20]

Updates include: (release notes part 1), (part 2), (part 3)

Discovery of Evendim

Over 100 new quests

Raid in the Battle for Helegrod

Nine new monsters

Collectible armour sets

Book 10: The City of the Kings

The second free-content update was released on August 21, 2007 in North America and on August 24, 2007 in Europe.[21]

Updates include: (release notes part 1), (part 2), (part 3), (part 4), (crafting), (hunter), (captain)

Continuation of the Story Line.

Legendary Play – Players can now use Destiny Points to play as a Ranger of the North or as a Troll.

Critter Play – Players can now explore Middle-earth from a different viewpoint as a chicken.

New Reputation and Bartering Systems – The Reputation system enables players to earn positive and negative standing with different races and groups in Middle-earth based on both monster kills and quest completions. The Bartering system allows players to trade trophies earned in battle for rewards, such as armour sets or mounts.

Over 100 new Quests.

More customizable user interface.

Book 11: Prisoner Of The Free Peoples

The third free-content update was released on October 24, 2007 in North America[22] and October 25 in Europe.[23]

Updates include (complete release notes):

Continuation of the Epic Story arc, including 13 quests.

Player housing – players will be able to customize their houses with items such as furniture and doormats.

Second raid called "The Rift" – 12-player raid in which players encounter a Balrog for the first time. Turbine has stressed that this is not the Balrog from Khazad-dûm.[24]

Two new areas – Tâl Bruinen in the Trollshaws, where Gollum will be introduced for the first time, and Goblin Town in the Misty Mountains, featured in The Hobbit.

More than 100 new quests.

Book 12: The Ashen Wastes

The fourth free content update was released on February 13, 2008 in North America; and February 14, 2008 in Europe.

Continuation of the Story Line.

Character customization - Increased character customization "ranging from haircuts, to some (possible) additions to the trait-system." In addition, the Outfit system, along with many special social clothing designed just for it, will be introduced where a second or third set of clothing can be slotted and displayed while retaining the statistical bonuses of the currently equipped items.[25]

The Delving of Frór - A new Monster Play PVE (and PVMP under certain circumstances) area will be introduced: An expanse of caves and catacombs located beneath the Ettenmoors.

The Great Angmar Revamp - A revamp of the most high-level region of the game's current 9 PvE regions. The revamp included the reworking of many quests, areas and other changes, such as new horse routes.

Barbershop - You can customize the look of your avatar in-game with around 50 new haircuts and second set of details.[citation needed]

Updates to the Burglar, Guardian, and Champion classes.

Book 13: Doom of the Last-King

The fifth free content update was released on April 24, 2008 in North America and on May 1, 2008 in Europe.

A new playable map area: the Ice Bay of Forochel.

Players being able to see the ocean for the first time, confirmed as the Ice Bay of Forochel in recent developer chats.

Fishing - the first of a new system in Lord of the Rings Online, called 'hobbies'.

New PVMP Monster Healing Class - Orc Defiler.

Looking For Fellowship- and Quest-panel improvements.

Book 14: The Ring-forges of Eregion

The sixth free content update was released on July 22, 2008 in North America. It was released on July 24, 2008 in Europe.

Climax of the "Shadows of Angmar" storyline.

Added selected sections of Eregion (Region leading towards the Gates of Moria).

Epic Quest events that will allow interaction between players regardless of server.

Prelude quests for and leading up to the Mines of Moria expansion. Which will have updates leading to Lothlórien, Fangorn, Rhovanion and Rohan.

Book 15: Daughter of Strife

The seventh free content update was released on November 18, 2008. This update was released in tandem with the Mines of Moria expansion for players who did not purchase the expansion release.

Updates include (Epic - Vol. I, Book 15: Daughter of Strife Quests epic):

Conclusion of the "Shadows of Angmar" storyline.

Added the zone of Eregion expanding on the selected sections from Book 14. The zone does not include the Hollin Gate leading to the Black Pool.

Added UI enhancements

That's way more than SW:Tor and that's not even everything they put out.

I AGREE but i was refering to paid subs. LOTRO released most of that content after they went FTP.. So if people stop and think a little this is good news for us

EVERYONE!!! I will be starting a New guild when F2P launches. Its called Freebies, everyone ws welcome to join but only subscribers will get access to all the guild features, and any newly released guild features. F2P players will have to pay me real money to buy time tokens, which can be used to give them access to the bank, and other features for a limited time.

valuable in-game items

From what I have seen they are all fluff items. What is valuable about a party jawa. Fun yes, gives the hope that one day may have playable Jaw for sure. But a party Jawa isn't a valuable in game item. Its fun but it doesn't seem valuable or in any way enough to entice people to purchase cartel coins.

Most paid sub game in the past didn't give us new raids every 3-4 months.. you had to wait for the paid expansion which took a long time. WOW works this way you have to wait 18months to get new raids and you pay for it 39.99 if I'm correct.

im not on about raids im talking about the class missions.

thats my big problem with this i was looking forward to future class missions and contnueing my story on my characters but now i doubt bioware will get the funding to add new characters and such that are fully voiced, if anything they might do a conan which i beleive went from voiced to text based quests.

This is great news ! More players more money. I'm happy their making this change. I can still pay my little tiny 15 bucks a month for everything. Awesome ! Add some cool stuff to the store, I'll be happy to spend a few extra bucks each month for new stuff, plus my sub. Edited by Gunju

The model isn't bad.

Free to Play lets you play from 1 to 50 every class, but not experience everything.

Subs get to do everything.

Shop lets you buy cosmetic stuff but no real in game advantage and can be accessed by everyone (if they start selling major in game advantages then it's going to cause major issues).

If it keeps the game alive, and even more so, allows the devs to keep advancing the game, then great.

50 cents a day can break a budget, yes. But the PC is not worth pawning. You clearly have no idea what a used PC is worth to a pawn store - practically nothing. I know plenty of people who can't afford 50 cents more a day, but live just fine. Also, when you think about it, with SO many games out, it becomes a choice thing. Saying that somebody can buy this game and then play for free, but get some new items for money or subscribe every once in awhile for better access makes more sense. It gives them the option of where to put their money in any given month.

no 50 cents a day cannot break a budget, im sorry where do you live in ? rwanda? afaik 15 bucks is aobut the cost of a box of cereal, some milk, bread and butter and the gas to get to the store, wich will probably last you...4 days on an normal household? your budget was already broken enough that you shouldnt be spending money on games regardless, or is 10 dollars on fluff items not bank breaking but 15 is? people think this will mean they will hire 500 more devs and release monthly ops and content, when in reality it wont really give us more content, just more store updates , theres a difference, i will continue subbed for a few months but i will unsub once the f2p model comes out, and see how it goes before ven thinking bout spending more money than i already have on this game

Bye everyone... I'll miss you. F2p ruins games :(

What a joke. The game isn't changing for pay folks. The only thing they are doing is adding a shop with orange gear and you get "free" currency as a paid sub.

The game does not change for paid people. The new modell, at its core, allows people to experience 1-50 for free.

Stop your complaining or just leave.

Lotro since F2P has issued a fair amount of content nothing that impressive compared to MoM. Most of this content has been pretty generic, bug riden and designed to be extremely grindy (with the option of buying your way around the grind in the store). Yes, so much to look forward to in the future. From what I saw on Gilrain a large section of the original P2P players have quit since F2P came in.

Yeah F2P increased Turbines profits, and perhaps kept the game alive.

However you are absolutely right it certainly didn't improve the quality or the speed of content delivery, except maybe for new cashshop mounts.

Edited by Goretzu

From what I have seen they are all fluff items. What is valuable about a party jawa. Fun yes, gives the hope that one day may have playable Jaw for sure. But a party Jawa isn't a valuable in game item. Its fun but it doesn't seem valuable or in any way enough to entice people to purchase cartel coins.

Its valuable in the sense I can lord it over the lemmings.

Here's what happens with F2P games, you end up with immature Idiots who will Troll and grief other people for fun, and if they get banned so what, they will just create new free accounts and start griefing and trolling all over again, doesn't cost them anything...

Yep this game just hit the trash bin.... I won't be renewing....

I find it funny people saying it worked for LOTRO and D&D when neither of those games has released any decent content since they went F2P, it's been low quality updates....

F2P means skeleton crew with small low quality updates....

The comment concerning LOTRO is untrue (no clue on DDO) LOTRO has had very good updates since they went F2P.

Im finished with this game.

Im about here. Its a neat game, and I like doing stuff with my guild, but when you take into consideration all the stuff I dont do, i.e. operations, warzones, flashpoints everyday, the sub really isnt worth it. But then again I didnt really want to be grinding those like normal anyways, so whats the point of playing if everything is going to be extremely limited already from what little I *do* play.

EVERYONE!!! I will be starting a New guild when F2P launches. Its called Freebies, everyone ws welcome to join but only subscribers will get access to all the guild features, and any newly released guild features. F2P players will have to pay me real money to buy time tokens, which can be used to give them access to the bank, and other features for a limited time.

Take a deep breath petal, you're over reacting.

50 cents a day can break a budget, yes. But the PC is not worth pawning. You clearly have no idea what a used PC is worth to a pawn store - practically nothing. I know plenty of people who can't afford 50 cents more a day, but live just fine. Also, when you think about it, with SO many games out, it becomes a choice thing. Saying that somebody can buy this game and then play for free, but get some new items for money or subscribe every once in awhile for better access makes more sense. It gives them the option of where to put their money in any given month.

If you can't afford $15 a month then you sure as hell can't afford $30-$50 a month for Internet access.... so the argument is moot given if you were really poor you wouldn't be on the Internet to begin with...

I AGREE but i was refering to paid subs. LOTRO released most of that content after they went FTP.. So if people stop and think a little this is good news for us

All that content was released between launch and MoM been released a long time before it went F2P

We have some information about this in the FAQ (http://www.swtor.com/support/helpcenter/6526). Here's the question and answer for you:

What happens if I decide to change from being a subscription player to a Free-to-Play member? What will happen to my credits, inventory, bank items, and characters?

Your account will automatically be downgraded and it will operate under the Free player restrictions. You will need to choose what items to keep with you within the restriction levels of the free access. Furthermore, you will be able to see, but not use, your excess credits, inventory slots, bank tabs, and extra characters.

Hope this helps clear it up a little!

I have to say, this has to be the most frustrating part of playing this game, the lack of details. I understand the need to tease certain things, new content, new races, new stuff. However, the introduction of a new pay system, or the previous server merger fiasco, things like this get doled out to us piece by piece, with VITAL information missing.

No where does anything describe exactly how many character slots. Hell, until I saw this dev post, I had no idea these items listed in the FAQ were even limited! Your little chart is so vague as to drive someone insane, and seeking out info leads to dead-ends.

I love this game's story. I have 3 50s, one high 40, a mid 20 and 3 more planned characters. I had hoped to even play more because I want to play around with dark side light side decisions. Free to Play sounded great, until I saw a possible character limitation? Is it 8? Less than 8? Inventory limitation? Where the hell is that in your compare chart?

I have an honest real decision coming up about my renewal, pay or play for free. This vagueness, this controlled information control that does nothing more than basically treat your player base as unruly children who simply must wait for the adults, makes me want to shutter my account and walk away.

I really like this game, and it surprises me how pissed off I am about this. I'm just upset, because despite an honest attempt by your community team to foster a positive environment, big things like this fall short again and again.

Screw it, thank you, but no thanks.

Many games have started with "Cosmetic and Convenience" options.

None which started that way have stayed that way.

This is unlikely to be the first.

My previous MMO was Aion. Their cash shop started out with costumes and such. But one day '100% chance to add enhancements to gear' (akin to adding augments in this game...except it was complete RNG if you'd succeed and enhancements cost a fortune) popped up on the cash shop. About a week later the F2P announcement came.