Official F2P Announcement

Quinnt

So thats it then. I can't help but feel that Obi-Wan's words from Episode 3 fit this game to a "T".

.....to SWTOR

"YOU WERE THE CHOSEN ONE!!! IT WAS SAID YOU WOULD DESTROY THE MMO MARKET NOT JOIN THEM IN F2P DARKNESS. I LOVED YOU SWTOR!!!"

You were my brother Bioware!:D

• Replies 792
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good decision IMO.

This will bring in more people to play.

Now i just need to wait and see what the specific differences between the sub and F2P models will be before i decide which model i will use.

That pretty much amounts to the free up to level 15 system already in place.

They also shouldn't be allowed ANY access to their class story. None what so ever. They want to know what's up with their toon, they have to pay a sub. Really, Bioware. Don't do this. Yeah you might get more people playing, but I would rather have 5 people total in this game with TONS of new voice acting and such, then tons of people and no NEW voice acting. I could give a toss less about people in this game. I want MORE story and companions.

I bow to you you are correct. But after ftp i think it came even faster.

Enedwaith came with F2P about 18 months after SoM expansion, then about another year to paid expansion RoI then Great River zone about 6 months later which I didn't play but was small from what the few people in my kin who still play have said and then RoR paid expansion this year. So yeah, massive amounts of content. The only thing they churn out at any speed is store only stuff to increase revenue

Edited by AidenCast

So this is turning into a f2p, how will the updates proceed? Will we see expansions or is this going to be like Lord Of The Rings Online? Can we expect to have SWTOR around for many years to come? Or is this beginning of the end?

Concerned player..

Bit of a shock if I'm honest.

About the Cartel Coins. It seems you can buy them 'in packs' of differing amounts.

What concerns me is the following scenario:

As a subscriber I get a certain amount of CCs - let's hypothetically say 500 - as part of my subscription.

Fluff item no.1 is 400 CCs

Great! I get fluff item no.1 and have 100 CCs left over. Yay!

Then I go in-game and it only applies to 1 character. Which means if I want to get them for my other 7 characters I have to pay about 2,900 CCs

I know there's a precedent for rewards to apply to your entire account - the Taunta pet for example, and the upcoming Black Hole Comms and new pet - which all your characters get.

I'm just wondering if EA can resist NOT charging me for my extra characters.

Some clarification would be great.

I'll continue to sub and see how things go. But I have a really bad feeling about this..

QS

There going to charge you for EVERYTHING.... Free to Play title is very misleading.... Odds are the people who go the F2P route will end up spending more money then the people who pay there flat fee $15 a month...

My concern is the low life's who will now invade our servers and cause havoc because they can just create new accounts if they get banned.

Are they actually providing that option because I would just assume pay the $15 a month for unlimited acess assuming there's a point to keeping the Sub when F2P goes into effect.

EA & BW gods, PLEASE DON"T MAKE A REAL MONEY GTN. IT WILL RUIN EVERYTHING.

THAT'S EXCATLY WHAT I"M TALKING ABOUT IT'S LIKE A CANCER THAT SPREADS THROUGH THE ENTIRE ECONOMY AND KILLS IT!!!!!:(:mad::eek:

They will still provide the option to keep paying

I would hope you would follow like every other F2P MMO and offer legacy players who paid a fortune on buying the game and then paying for all this time special status.

Only if you bought the CE apparently. Well, 1k CC at least :rolleyes:

well as i said if they do and their are just like they are now not cheaply done and lack vo and a good story then ill stay you can scream i told u so till your blue in the face. :D

They have known for awhile about going FTP.. So I would assume from a business stand point they held back class quest for this..

They will release FTP and boom class quest will be updated monthly so people can pay the 2.99-4.99 for them that are ftp.

LOL LOTRO is getting rdy to release a major expansion actually. Get your facts strait before talking man..

Lotro is now a huge game after going to FTP with all the expansions they have released.

Yeah thats why your here playing this game lol.... nice try....

I've been playing this game since launch, and it has to be said, this news is a little dissapointing to me.

The F2P system as it looks now is absolutely dumb.

Limiting what players can do within the game? That's stupid. I also dislike that you are punishing those of us who purchased the game beforehand: I don't want some silly little cartel coins.

I don't mind that store being in the games, but tbh I think it needs to be a microtransaction based thing, and the base game itself, raids, pvp and all should be accessible for free.

I dislike the "Compensation" you're giving players like myself. I paid £40 for the base game, then £63 worth of subscription up till this point. I feel like I'm being screwed for having stayed loyal for this long. Don't get me wrong, I love your game, but this news is making me want to cancel my subscription and go back to WoW. Atleast blizzard don't treat loyal customers like trash.

What I don't get is how a company can lay-off/fire/let-go so many of the people working on the game, go F2P, and somehow put out MORE content and updates? It doesn't add up.

Having played about 3 different f2p games and witnessed the shoddy workmanship and riff-raff for players that comprise them, I suppose you certainly get what you pay for.

What I'd really like to see as a subscriber is a very clear roadmap of what our subscriptions will get us/continue to get us. Is the plan to keep coming out with substantial content/expansions or are you just clearing out what's currently in the pipes and then charging people $15/mo for fluff tokens, unlimited access to fp/wz's and ops? The feature comparison chart is a nice start, but it's pretty vague (what does "limited" play mean, that a f2p can only do 5 wz's a day?).

I would hope you would follow like every other F2P MMO and offer legacy players who paid a fortune on buying the game and then paying for all this time special status.

Indeed. You need to think about whether you want to piss off your longtime players even more BioWare.

You could at least implement free --> silver --> gold type accounts. Silver being for players who made a purchase or subscribed for an amount of time, who get to keep their attained features.

Edited by Fdzzaigl

They also shouldn't be allowed ANY access to their class story. None what so ever. They want to know what's up with their toon, they have to pay a sub. Really, Bioware. Don't do this. Yeah you might get more people playing, but I would rather have 5 people total in this game with TONS of new voice acting and such, then tons of people and no NEW voice acting. I could give a toss less about people in this game. I want MORE story and companions.

What you're offering completely destroys the point of Swtor going F2p in the first place. I mean I agree to a certain degree, but what you're pretty much saying is "they're f2p, let them burn in boredom untill they're forced against their will to sub" There has to be a taster, so they think ohh, i'll be having more of that.

I think my favorite part of all of this is.... NEW WARZONE AND SPACE MISSIONS!!! :)

F2P? What? Who cares?

As long as they meet these requirements, I'll continue to subscribe:

1. NO gambling lock boxes.

2. NO content that you have to PAY for if you are a subscriber.

3. NO items that give you an advantage in the game that you can just buy for cartel coins.

4. A continuing stream of new content being released.

Does this mean all those cool armors and weapons and such that were removed during beta will show up in the Cartel Shop?

Well, Bioware, I plan to keep my subscription, but all I ask is that for those who rather play for free, make it as unpleasant an experience as possible. 1-2 character slots. No access at all to social gear or orange gear. Hey they don't want to pay, they're stuck with green armor. No titles, no pets, no speeders. They have to use their run everywhere.

No fps, no ops, no talking in general chat, only says if that.

As I said, make it as miserable as you can. And let us subscribers keep getting new stuff. If the free people want in, they have to pay a subscription every month. NO cash stores. Unless it's more character slots for us subscribers.

They want anything at all, they have to pay. Want a boring crappy experience, keep playing for free.

I only support doing the no general speaking, maybe a level 1 speeder only, 2 character slots seems fine to me, but only green gear is just laughable. No fps? Why not, its not like you can't just votekick ******s now and then re-queue. They already have No OPs.

No titles, no pets. Again seems fine to me.

They need to make it sort of enjoyable to keep the Lemmings playing and entice them to pay for the subs. Hell they could add advertisements to f2p to increase revenue and piss of f2ps. Just keep that **** out of subs :p

Petition Idea: Advertisements upon entering zones for F2ps, No ads for subscribers.

There going to charge you for EVERYTHING.... Free to Play title is very misleading.... Odds are the people who go the F2P route will end up spending more money then the people who pay there flat fee $15 a month...

My concern is the low life's who will now invade our servers and cause havoc because they can just create new accounts if they get banned.

you are not the only one pissed and worried about it, nothing short of the announcment of sub only servers will make me play it after f2p hits, i refuse to deal with the subhuman troglodites that it will bring, im sorry BW , bad call , sighs...

anyways , when does it hit? at least i got a month or two still...

So this is turning into a f2p, how will the updates proceed? Will we see expansions or is this going to be like Lord Of The Rings Online? Can we expect to have SWTOR around for many years to come? Or is this beginning of the end?

Concerned player..

Swtor is here to stay, Its the Beggning of a Golden Age, Newbies abound and plenty of Updates to go around:rak_03:

Yea, you have no idea what you're talking about.

The Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar was developed by Turbine, is subscription-based and free to play. It launched in North America, Australia, Japan and Europe on April 24, 2007. The first expansion pack, Mines of Moria, was released on November 17, 2008. The second expansion pack, Siege of Mirkwood, was released on December 1, 2009. The third expansion pack, Rise of Isengard, was announced on November 19, 2010 and is expected to be released on September 27, 2011.

Major expansion released every year plus patches through the year as well as another new expansion coming out very soon called Riders of Rohan™ Launching September 5th!

F2P has done wonders for that game even if you didn't like it.

The Pre and Post-F2P LOTRO "expansions" are very different beasts.