Why do you not play ranked PvP?

NathanielStarr

I'm shocked anyone ever thought it was a good idea. Why would I want to play against BETTER players? Winning is fun, losing is not.

Indeed, people will kid themselves all day long that they want competition and to face tougher opposition, a challenge please !! In truth, we all know that's garbage.

People used to losing, want to win, they don't care how or against whom, a group of PVE noobs will do.

People winning want to carry on winning, they are not interested in having someone come along and knock them off their pedastals. Otherwise, already successful players from successful teams, would not be rolling the latest FoTM classes would they?

Edited by ThorgrimLutgen

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Otherwise, already successful players from successful teams, would not be rolling the latest FoTM classes would they?

Of course they won't. They will serf this forums and say to how bad everyone is, and how everything is ok.

They will never admit that it is the team what makes difference and if you don't have legit team no matter how good you are, you will never see high raiting in team competition.

Most popular answer - go get the team. But its BS, because you can't just go and get the team.

And thats why:

1. First of all, if you want to coordinate something by voice, you need to know every teammate's voice.

2. Then you need to know that every member of a team understand his role in executed tactic.

3. And you must know that every player can execute that role on a required level.

4. And most important you need to learn to feel the situation and your team in it.

Those are basic things, which all know and understand. But they take time to develop. ALOT OF TIME. There are guilds that are 'best' mostly playing with eachother for a long long time. Not only this game. They have the real teams. Add to this best possible gear and personal skills at high level, and we have stomp-machine that can be stopped only by better team

PUG has nothing in common with the team. Its a group of people doing same thing, but its not a team.

Most people don't have team and they don't even have a core which can be developed in a team in some time.

Or they don't have enough time.

Place world best players from different teams toogether and they will perform slightly above avarage, and much worse they were doing it in their teams. Give them enough time to become a team and you will have unsopable mecanism.

I absolutely agree with statement tatt in very moment words "more flexible" matchmaking system laid on paper, this whole idea has failed.

The system itself punishes you for not matching requirements, why should you use it?

Indeed, people will kid themselves all day long that they want competition and to face tougher opposition, a challenge please !! In truth, we all know that's garbage.

People used to losing, want to win, they don't care how or against whom, a group of PVE noobs will do.

People winning want to carry on winning, they are not interested in having someone come along and knock them off their pedastals. Otherwise, already successful players from successful teams, would not be rolling the latest FoTM classes would they?

Although it is proven that the essence of winning > losing it's more complex than that.

Alot of people simply have a drive to improve, you know those who doesn't blame everyone else for losing. And when hard work start to pay off and you are going from losing to winning and improving in competition, thats a pretty good feeling compared to being handed a win from some PVE noobs.

People are different though.

I see a lot of whining, so I'd just like to contribute that our EU RP server has a fair number of decentranked teams, tho we wish we had more. Imo the planned things need doing:

* Cross server ranked, to generate a large pool of players & teams, so ranking actually matters (affects pairings)

* Solo ranked - altho solo players will get stomped when meeting a guild, hopefully gulid ratings will end up in the upper part of rankings, and solo ranked players will meet similar teams more often.

In short, Ranked is great (a deeper, more challanging game), but the player pool needs to be larger for several reasons.

Nope. it would just turn more players off PVP.

Solo only que would help more players to do rated because you would get lots of random teams. So people like me would not have to play 1 or 2 top rated teams over and over with less optimized 8 man team.

This game needed cross server pvp to increase the pvp pool.

Completely agree, on all parts.

because I play a dps commando as my main and yeah, well, BW thinks my AC is fine, but friends that I have been guilded with since vanilla WoW won't take my class into a ranked WZ despite the fact that I am wearing fuil WH gear

because I play a dps commando as my main and yeah, well, BW thinks my AC is fine, but friends that I have been guilded with since vanilla WoW won't take my class into a ranked WZ despite the fact that I am wearing fuil WH gear
Ya you would have to go heals or hybrid heals/dps. Class balance and skill trees are way out of wack. The least desirable class right now is any type of sorc and the sorc is probably one of the most played classes.

personally, i think the rated WZs decrease the socialization among players/guilds. It is only human nature to form the 'best team available', so most guilds get their 8 guys together and form a 'super group'. Anyone else in that guild are immediately downgraded to second class citizen. Yes, some of these little folks may get into the rated team, if the rated team is missing a person or two and need them. But most of the time, and begging/asking/etc to get into a rated will be ignored as they want to stick with their 'A' team. And most guilds cannot field an 'A' team and a 'B' team.

So what you have are 'clicks' within guilds that promote anti-social behavior with other members of the guild (other than the 8 on the rated team), as someone said in a previous post, it takes alot of time to get coordinated with those 8 people, to the exclusion of everything else for the most part.

Its almost too bad that didn't make make it so a guild would sign up for rated wzs as a guild rather than a team, with players within that guild having the ability to flag themselves as 'want-to-pvp rated' and the algorithm for joining would select the folks in the guild randomingly. Even spread out the randomness so you have x amount of folks a >rated, % <rated, % of class types like healers/tanks/dps, etc. This would get more people involved, training inexperienced folks, prevent team stacking, etc.

personally, i think the rated WZs decrease the socialization among players/guilds. It is only human nature to form the 'best team available', so most guilds get their 8 guys together and form a 'super group'. Anyone else in that guild are immediately downgraded to second class citizen. Yes, some of these little folks may get into the rated team, if the rated team is missing a person or two and need them. But most of the time, and begging/asking/etc to get into a rated will be ignored as they want to stick with their 'A' team. And most guilds cannot field an 'A' team and a 'B' team.

So what you have are 'clicks' within guilds that promote anti-social behavior with other members of the guild (other than the 8 on the rated team), as someone said in a previous post, it takes alot of time to get coordinated with those 8 people, to the exclusion of everything else for the most part.

Its almost too bad that didn't make make it so a guild would sign up for rated wzs as a guild rather than a team, with players within that guild having the ability to flag themselves as 'want-to-pvp rated' and the algorithm for joining would select the folks in the guild randomingly. Even spread out the randomness so you have x amount of folks a >rated, % <rated, % of class types like healers/tanks/dps, etc. This would get more people involved, training inexperienced folks, prevent team stacking, etc.

This sounds like more of an internal problem. If this situation were to arise i would suggest either:

1) Finding a new guild that is more open and less competitive focused if that's what you prefer

2) Finding a bigger guild with more teams

3) Recruiting more people to your guild

4) Teaming up with another guild in a similar situation

The reason I don't participate in them is because I cannot find people that want to, their reasons vary, so I wanted to ask the general PvP populace.

This is why I am not playing Ranked Warzones as well. The fact that you cannot solo queue really sucks because I REALLY want to play Ranked Warzones but it is so hard to find 7 others who is willing to play with you for an hour or so. Unfortunately the Empire guild I am part of [The Dark Crusaders] is more concerned about completing OPs and Flashpoints rather than doing ranked PvP. That is why I decided to create another character on the Republic side and just have fun with him until Bioware rolls out solo queues. I leave to join the Army in late October and do not get out of AIT until April so by then, solo ranked Warzones would be out then. So between now and then, I am just going to play with my Gunslinger and make millions of credits in Biochem.

Teamwork is not so as important as team power given this game is extremely favored in offense. If you take 8 guys who never lose in a 1on1 (and one of those guys is somehow a healer) and put them as a team, it's very hard to believe they'll suddenly do worse given that any of those guys can win a 1on1.

If the 8 best players in the world are in 8 separate teams, and now you put them together, and assuming all the roles are exactly covered, why would they have a hard time playing together? Say you were a DPS, well your job is still killing the same guys you were killing before except every one of your teammate is now better. If you're a healer, your job is still the same but the tank/dps supporting you is now better than the ones you had before. Maybe it takes some time to figure out some individual quirks but your role doesn't change from a good team to a bad team or vice versa.

A good PT kills someone fast. A better PT kills even faster. What is there to coordinate if your previous PT got repalced by someone who is simply faster at killing everyone else? Do you really think a better PT can't even grasp the idea of who to kill first? No the new guy will just be killing the same guys your old PT was killing except he can do it better.

I've got two 50s in full WH now. It's not hard to gear up when you do RWZs. The comms come faster. Everyone that has been playing casually (like a couple hours a day) since 1.2 came out has one 50 full WH geared by now.

I have six characters to gear up, and I can promise you that it's time consuming.

I have six characters to gear up, and I can promise you that it's time consuming.

Me too. I never quite understood the logic of 'I can gear up one guy, so it must be pretty easy to gear up 6 guys." Well it actually takes about 6 times the time to gear up 6 guys compared to 1, and 3 times the time compared to 2.

Me too. I never quite understood the logic of 'I can gear up one guy, so it must be pretty easy to gear up 6 guys." Well it actually takes about 6 times the time to gear up 6 guys compared to 1, and 3 times the time compared to 2.

lol, exactly.

1) We play the same team over and over again. The team that wins ALWAYS wins and the other team stops queuing. No more rateds for that day.

2) Comp dependency means play the FOTM spec on the FOTM class or no one wants you.

3) Takes FOREVER to get a decently geared team together. Then you get smashed by a guild team and you wonder why you bothered in the first place.

4) No solo ranked queues. This was a SERIOUS mistake.

5) Warzones are now speed based, but only for the first 30 seconds. Whoever caps the turret first keeps it. Nodes don't flip. Alderaan side turrets never flip, middle never gets capped, whoever caps side turret first wins by 5. Denova nodes never flip, whoever caps first keeps it. Voidstar doors are camped by engineer snipers/sabotage gunslingers and never get planted on. Voidstar tie break system = fail.

Rated teams use every exploit, trick, and FOTM tool in the box to win. That actually makes the game 10x less fun. I can't play what I want. I can't play how I want. I can't even play with whom I want. Why bother playing?

pretty much this. PLus I've slowly grinded all my warhero the regular way and it's leaving me wondering, "Ive played these games 1000s of times, now Im geared, and can survive stat wise as good as I can...ok, do I really care about playing the same match 1000 more times with or without gear? I want to PVP for real. Where is open world? Why did I have to grind 1000 matches to be able to start Pvping?.

They should have let everyone buy, or trade comms for expertise itself...not for gear, everyone has expertise, no huge stat gaps, relatively fast, people can PVP instead of stress grinding and ragequitting

I haven't been playing rwz because of the gear differential. Well; it was more of an issue for my guild than me... I personally didn't mind losing 600-0 if I got 40 rwz comms out of it. Anyways, 8 guys in mostly bm versus 8 guys in aug-WH isn't a contest.

But now we are catching up on gear... Just played our first guild-organized rwz in 4 weeks, last night. So don't worry guys, people are coming.

I personally hit 50 2 weeks before 1.3 hit, and I've been working damn hard to gear up since. I suspect there are a lot of people in my shoes, and you'll see more and more newly geared players comfortable with ranked wz in the near future.

It takes between 16((assuming you won every wz) and 21 (using no com exchange) weeks to get full war hero gear, that's pretty time consuming.

Edited by Ybini

• 2 weeks later...

Uhh how about this; your random set of buddies that have never been repeatedly facerolled by a team thats been premade for 3+ months and only logs in for pvp.... are going to be crying over vent ; when the only thing vent should be used for is conveying information to help you win:)

Ive done about 15 ranked WZ on various chars. Always the same deal.

Becausei didnt train with those very same people every day and develop tactics with them, and have the "magic" class makeup for a premade... I was facerolled 100% by teams that did.

Gets old fast.

This is why I am not playing Ranked Warzones as well. The fact that you cannot solo queue really sucks because I REALLY want to play Ranked Warzones but it is so hard to find 7 others who is willing to play with you for an hour or so..

and have you stopped to consider WHY it's so hard to find 7 other people? because you'll get rolled by a real premade. there are two kinds of players in ranked wz's: those who play it as intended and those who go in there to get rolled and accumulate rated comms more quickly. Solo queue rated...what are you smoking? you need a carefully selected op. this game can't even put a group finder 4-man together. and when they do the 8-man SM ops, all I hear is "this guy sucks." "o we wiped cuz such and such tank doesn't know what he's doing." "such and such healer is wearing 3 greens and 4 blues" etc. and you want to do this in rated wz's? omg. no!

Considering how long They took to get Ranked PvP out, I cannot say im surprised no one wants to play it. Majority of the hard core pvpers who wanted this content to come out months all left when it took them months to bring it out. Even when they said it was next to be released and they bring out more pve content over the pvp side of things. But anyways.

They are all in different games now waiting for Gw2. The company didnt take hold of the moment they lost out they lost the attention of the customers end of story. I signed up for a 6month sub my sub is almost out now too and i wont be playing anymore.

We all knew F2P was coming, Just by watching how they laid off workers, and all other Factors.

Edited by Overlord-

and have you stopped to consider WHY it's so hard to find 7 other people? because you'll get rolled by a real premade. there are two kinds of players in ranked wz's: those who play it as intended and those who go in there to get rolled and accumulate rated comms more quickly. Solo queue rated...what are you smoking? you need a carefully selected op. this game can't even put a group finder 4-man together. and when they do the 8-man SM ops, all I hear is "this guy sucks." "o we wiped cuz such and such tank doesn't know what he's doing." "such and such healer is wearing 3 greens and 4 blues" etc. and you want to do this in rated wz's? omg. no!

And here we have what is called, "the human factor."