Can we, as a community, eliminate the "Grass" and "Snow" in Alderaan?

Bewoulff

You know, I usually find out where to go in the 1-2 mins before teh battle. If any of the terms are unusual or I don't know, I ask. So long as you know what the directions mean (and you can always ask) who cares?

• Replies 776
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is really all symptomatic of the larget issue, which is people trying to apply overly complicated strategy to something as simple as "hold two of three".

There is not a general in the world who would try to spread his forces as far as possible, from each other and their home base, but in every Alderaan or Novare, there are 3-7 "revolutionary thinkers" who want to try that crazy new strategy of "let's skip mid!".

You want mid. Every time. It is the easiest/fastest place to reinforce, it is the easiest/fastest place to send reinforcements from. If you hold mid, you don't even have to wait for someone to call incs, you can actually just run up the ramp and look out over either side (if you are not a keyboard turner with the camera 5ft behind your head).

If you are failing over and over to capture mid, it's not because it is a faulty strategy, it is because they are better than you, and are killing you faster than you can kill them. They aren't going to get squishier if you all of a sudden decide to attack another turret, (one that they can reinforce faster than you can attack). And every time you use your Napoleonic battle strategy to go try to solo their natural turret to "distract them", you are leaving the people fighting at mid a man down, in the hopes that they might overcompensate.

Point being, if people didn't over-think everything and try to be heroes, we could probably get away with just saying "Side - Mid".

This is really all symptomatic of the larget issue, which is people trying to apply overly complicated strategy to something as simple as "hold two of three".

There is not a general in the world who would try to spread his forces as far as possible, from each other and their home base, but in every Alderaan or Novare, there are 3-7 "revolutionary thinkers" who want to try that crazy new strategy of "let's skip mid!".

You want mid. Every time. It is the easiest/fastest place to reinforce, it is the easiest/fastest place to send reinforcements from. If you hold mid, you don't even have to wait for someone to call incs, you can actually just run up the ramp and look out over either side (if you are not a keyboard turner with the camera 5ft behind your head).

If you are failing over and over to capture mid, it's not because it is a faulty strategy, it is because they are better than you, and are killing you faster than you can kill them. They aren't going to get squishier if you all of a sudden decide to attack another turret, (one that they can reinforce faster than you can attack). And every time you use your Napoleonic battle strategy to go try to solo their natural turret to "distract them", you are leaving the people fighting at mid a man down, in the hopes that they might overcompensate.

Point being, if people didn't over-think everything and try to be heroes, we could probably get away with just saying "Side - Mid".

While I agree with you mostly, I believe you are incorrect partially. While failure to capture mid could mean that they can kill your team faster, it does not always mean distractions can not be in your advantage. Actually, if you use a someone who can stay alive 5-10sec longer than most to charge mid continuously, many times the enemy leave 2-4 at mid. This gives the rest of your team more time to capture a side.

Yes I know it doesn't always work. Usually that is because either you just do not have the gear and skill to take a side turret even when you have them outnumbered. Or, because your team doesn't act as a team and focus who they should.

At the beginning of the match you ALWAYS want to harass their natural turret, usually with two people. If it's 2v2, you might win, but you're guaranteed going to stall for a long time. If it's 2v1, you'll probably going to win and quickly, so now you have captured their strong side. If it's 2v0, split off and take it with one person while the other runs to mid. I really don't see how that's hard to understand, just GIVING them their strong side turret is completely idiotic. Even if you only send one strong 1v1er, like a hybrid Scoundrel or a Tank Shadow (preferably Shadow for the Force Speed advantage to getting there) then, again, you might win the fight and take it, but you're guaranteed going to stall quite a bit over there and every second they don't have the turret is a second it's not shooting at you.

Best case scenario is that you send 2 to right and they're so hard to kill, but the other team is defending so well that they send reinforcements until they can take that turret, thereby strengthening your position at the other two turrets. Just in PUG vs PUG I've seen, on two separate occasions, slow increases in reinforcements until it's literally 8v3 on the right side uncapped turret with the other two capped for us, which is obviously an extreme, but illustrates the point of the strategy.

The reason no Generals spread thier forces out is because they dont get little respawn popups when they die and they dont get teleported back to an easy close by point to their forces. Nice analogy apart from that though.

What happens when both sides have the same 6mid 2strong side split? Rocket surgery. With 12 in the middle hammer and tongs how much watching of surroundings is going on? Did anyone notice 2 of them drop with 1 from their strong side to bash your strong side and cap? How often have you criticized your team for not executing your foolproof plan?

Would i send 1 person into mid to hold up potentially 4-5 from capping? Hell yes i would. A tanksin for example can harass many cappers in the middle for quite a while with the tools available, while 4 can hammer their strong side and 3 can ensure our stronger side. The re spawning person can take a quick flight to whatever side they charge to next to reinforce.

Aiming for mid 100% of the time, often does not equate to playing objectives.

and grass and snow are not constant? lol

In fact Grass and Snow are much better because the brain instantly recognizes the colors and does not need to stop for a second and think which direction did I start from this time.

Good players call out when they need assistance.

I've seen good players call out "EST" because they are being attacked, and are rushed in typing what direction they need help.

Is EST a reference to EAST or WEST?

I guarantee that people don't get Grass out of SNW or SNO, and they don't get Snow out of GRS, RASS, RAS, or GRAS.

Even the incorrect abbreviations for Snow/Grass are easier to understand than those for East/West.

How about using what is actually apart of the map? Snow/Grass Left/Right /East/West "mid" all idiotic direction choises.

There is only Generator, Centeral Command Center, Crash Site

Edited by RangKer

How about using what is actually apart of the map? Snow/Grass Left/Right /East/West "mid" all idiotic direction choises.

"incoming central command center" vs "incoming mid"

Honestly the only problem I see with that is that nobody knows what the hell you're talking about, or they just think you're trying to RP.

"incoming central command center" vs "incoming mid"

Honestly the only problem I see with that is that nobody knows what the hell you're talking about, or they just think you're trying to RP.

Then they have yet to read what the map/mini map says, whith all this preaching of mini map/map useage these would be the only ones to use. but in all honesty all forms need to be known and being angsty against any one proves that the person is a lazy horrible pvper.

Then they have yet to read what the map/mini map says, whith all this preaching of mini map/map useage these would be the only ones to use. but in all honesty all forms need to be known and being angsty against any one proves that the person is a lazy horrible pvper.

what he said.

... but in all honesty all forms need to be known and being angsty against any one proves that the person is a lazy horrible pvper.

Agreed, only a lazy, horrible PVPer would whine about stuff like this:

Now I'm going to have to create a macro that says:

"Dear Sirs, it seems as though there are 3 gentlemen who are approaching the Central Command Center with a rather rapid pace! May I be so bold as to call for reinforcements?"

Edited by Rassuro

I'd love to use East/West, but people apparently don't know the difference.

If you are Imperial the mini map has left / right and mid.

If you are Republic the mini map has left / right and mid.

So no matter what team you are on the left and right NEVER CHANGE AND ALWAYS WORKS.

USE LEFT - RIGHT - MID as they never change ever!

If you are Imperial the mini map has left / right and mid.

If you are Republic the mini map has left / right and mid.

So no matter what team you are on the left and right NEVER CHANGE AND ALWAYS WORKS.

USE LEFT - RIGHT - MID as they never change ever!

or in alderaan, use grass and snow, they never change as well :)

more letters.

G3, or S2

Same number of letters, easier to figure out, for reasons mentioned before.

Additionally, if you are going to use E and W to describe East/West as abbreviations, E and W are right next to each other on the keyboard, which means you may hit the wrong one, or both, which will confuse your team too.

Edited by olagaton