Cel Cawdro's Ultimate "Community Desire for Species" Poll

CelCawdro

Voting:

1.) Jawa

2.) Trando's

3.) Jawa

After having 4 lvl 50's I'm now more interested in game play for "wackiness" and flavor. I want to play a Jawa Sorc on Imp side.

As an observation, and not a complaint but a critique, after playing the game through 4 toons to 50 (and other alts to around 30ish) seeing the same "person in the mirror" as devs stated has become more like simply seeing myself wearing makeup to look like a Star Wars character. Though the art is Vastly better than anything I could hand do, you get my point.

Its time for something different enough to "not be a human genome project" and yet not a bowl of jelly.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Come on, let's push through the free-to-play rage and get a few more votes in here. :)

I would but I already voted.... if you wanted to double-count then I could always push Togruta/Voss/Kaleesh some more.

Side note-- Many thanks for keeping a thread like this updated and chugging along for such a long period of time, when you get a sampling size like this it really gives good fuel to say "Yes, the community wants X not Y", even though 2,000ish votes is a relatively small percentage of the total playerbase, it is one of the few such polls with a high enough number to actually qualify as a representative sampling.

I would but I already voted.... if you wanted to double-count then I could always push Togruta/Voss/Kaleesh some more.

Side note-- Many thanks for keeping a thread like this updated and chugging along for such a long period of time, when you get a sampling size like this it really gives good fuel to say "Yes, the community wants X not Y", even though 2,000ish votes is a relatively small percentage of the total playerbase, it is one of the few such polls with a high enough number to actually qualify as a representative sampling.

Polls like these, or other forms of forum polls(and including that FB poll that selected the party jawa) do not adhere to methods needed to have statistical significance. Sure this is cool and all, and Bioware seems to have actually used things like this to choose the Cathar species, but the poll is drawn from a self-selecting sample of a non-representative portion of the playerbase.

Polls like these, or other forms of forum polls(and including that FB poll that selected the party jawa) do not adhere to methods needed to have statistical significance. Sure this is cool and all, and Bioware seems to have actually used things like this to choose the Cathar species, but the poll is drawn from a self-selecting sample of a non-representative portion of the playerbase.

It is reaching the same sampling of the playerbase that BioWare themselves uses for feedback - those who grace these forums. Statistical significance is highly subjective when you're talking about these such as these - BioWare isn't going to throw in surveys that a person has to complete before they're able to log in to the game or some such (even though I assume they still have the tech to do so), and given the nature of gamers, even a sampling of the entire playerbase would be tainted by people that select "A" for everything, or click randomly just to get back into the game and even those who would seek to sabotage the sampling by deliberately selecting what they perceive to be the "worst" answers.

I'm not going to be running any double-blind studies on the matter. This environment simply isn't sterile or controllable enough for actual "legitimate" statistical models to work. The methods to which you adhere to merit "statistical significance" are simply too strict to work in a population such as a video game's playerbase.

Edited by CelCawdro

It is reaching the same sampling of the playerbase that BioWare themselves uses for feedback - those who grace these forums. Statistical significance is highly subjective when you're talking about these such as these - BioWare isn't going to throw in surveys that a person has to complete before they're able to log in to the game or some such (even though I assume they still have the tech to do so), and given the nature of gamers, even a sampling of the entire playerbase would be tainted by people that select "A" for everything, or click randomly just to get back into the game.

I'm not going to be running any double-blind studies on the matter. This environment simply isn't sterile or controllable enough for actual "legitimate" statistical models to work. The methods to which you adhere to merit "statistical significance" are simply too strict to work in a population such as a video game's playerbase.

Just addressing the idea that an incorrectly achieved sample is somehow representative merely by virtue of its size. I mentioned as well in my post that Bioware apparently relies on this same method in some cases, though this is most likely more for PR reasons than a rejection of the practice of statistics. It is actually perfectly possible to take statistically significant samples from a playerbase, though you personally would not have the resources to do so. EA does use these methods sometimes, I've been contacted to do a survey for them previously. Its also unnecessary to do a census to get statistically significant information btw.

Just addressing the idea that an incorrectly achieved sample is somehow representative merely by virtue of its size. I mentioned as well in my post that Bioware apparently relies on this same method in some cases, though this is most likely more for PR reasons than a rejection of the practice of statistics. It is actually perfectly possible to take statistically significant samples from a playerbase, though you personally would not have the resources to do so. EA does use these methods sometimes, I've been contacted to do a survey for them previously. Its also unnecessary to do a census to get statistically significant information btw.

I was merely giving a "best case scenario." :) Likewise, EA often incentivizes those surveys, thus causing a lot more "junk" data to enter the system simply because people are after that reward. Also, I do not pretend that this particular poll reflects anything more than what it is - a voluntarily sampling of the forum population. I'd never dream of speaking for a population that was not "in the running," so to speak.

I don't necessarily disagree with what you're saying. I just believe that a legitimate statistical sampling is an unreal goal when you're talking about communities for video games. Well, at least for "opinion"-type data. I love seeing BioWare's metrics on percentages of choices made, classes chosen, country of origin and the like, but variables like those are the only hard data you can pull out of us.

BioWare/EA simply doesn't have the clout to make anyone take their surveys seriously, even if those people choose to do them.

I'm all for allowing developer philosophy to relegate us to near-Human species, or those that are not too too alien. That said, I'd like to see:

1) Togruta

2) Zeltron

3) Nautolan (probably as alien as they'd be willing to go)

Even though the sample you get from a forum poll is small, I think it's still a very useful poll for Bioware. If a poll like this didn't exist, they'd probably just go ahead and pick the next species on their own. I don't think they necessarily should look at this poll and say "OK, It's Togruta next for sure!" There are other factors to consider... like even though I really want to play Togruta, I'd rather they not release Togruta unless/until they can work out clipping issues with the Lekku and thingies. But the poll is definitely significant enough that if the next species they were planning to do is one that is rating very low in this poll, it's probably a good idea to rethink that plan.