Price of New Expansion Pack

Enderet

those of you who think that was an expansion...lol

pretty obvious they are going to have a CRAP ton of things in the 1st expansion.

You really think this is an expansion? Relax..it's just a content update.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This has all the signs of a paid for update/expansion (survey sent out worded with expansion, increased level cap, big hype, etc).

Will I be pretty annoyed if this is the case? Yep! Will I cancel? I am not sure yet. That all depends on how good the update/expansion is and what else is vying for my attention on the MMO frontier.

I do hope I am wrong though, and there will be no extra cost... and Bioware will actually deliver ALL that they promised in that case. But maybe being older has made me wiser, or more pessimistic... time will tell :)

to good to be true. No...

bioware has said FROM THE BEGINNING they know players are already paying 15 dollars a month and every content update and perhaps even expansions (may or may not be charged) will not be charged. We are already paying for the game they said. This will be free, relax. I know it's too hard to comprehend and it's just....too good to hate. But don't worry it will be free!

I hope so, but have you seen the survey that Magid sent to people over email, something that would hint at it being paid:

Actually, it didn't hint at anything. It was a survey. The whole point of the survey is to find out how much people would pay for certain content/features. The answer they got may have been that people wouldn't pay for the things being suggested for updates. Furthermore, how do you know that they weren't trying to gauge how to structure a future expansion pack by using a dummy survey filled with content they were releasing in a few weeks at E3 anyway so they didn't give away any long range update plans? If I'm planning on developing an expansion then I'd like to know how much content, features, etc. that my customers feel is necessary for particular price points.

They better come out with a lot more then just this by the end of next year.

1 new companion

1 new species

1 new WZ

1 new OP

1 new space mission.

By the end of the year I would think we would have a few (3-5) new species, 2 new WZ's (with 1 coming out late December), 2 new OPS, 4-6 new space missions. If they are sticking with the "1" formula, then I am officially worried. I mean I get that this wasn't a complete roster. But its worrying how things were phrased.

The answer they got may have been that people wouldn't pay for the things being suggested for updates.

And if it was the other way? If people said, YES, id pay for something like that, and I would pay X amount? It could be either way.

Almost a month ago, this leaked onto the internet. It lists different SKUs and price points, for a package that includes most of the content announced today.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bw6sp6dpJKRcaDdKTHFnQlp6Wjg/edit?pli=1

Ok, dude. You go ahead and believe a "datamining" site. Until or unless they post it on this website, it's presumed free until further notice. Other games have made their updates, including expansions, free of charge to paying customers. City of Heroes (with the only two exceptions being Going Rogue and City of Villains (which are actually free if you wanted to wait a few months after release), and EVE Online which has NEVER charged for expanded content over and above their sub-rates.

If EA really wants to throw it back a few years to the old EQ/EQ II/WoW style of making paying customers pay extra, they'll be shooting themselves in the foot. FCEs are the best way to keep subs in this economy.

Ok, dude. You go ahead and believe a "datamining" site. Until or unless they post it on this website, it's presumed free until further notice. Other games have made their updates, including expansions, free of charge to paying customers. City of Heroes (with the only two exceptions being Going Rogue and City of Villains (which are actually free if you wanted to wait a few months after release), and EVE Online which has NEVER charged for expanded content over and above their sub-rates.

If EA really wants to throw it back a few years to the old EQ/EQ II/WoW style of making paying customers pay extra, they'll be shooting themselves in the foot. FCEs are the best way to keep subs in this economy.

What datamining site are you talking about? According to the OP at reddit, the survey was sent to his email account, and several others confirmed that they received those as well.

I would pay for this, if I get a Proton Pack, or a skin to look like Ray or Egon, since this clearly seems to be a Ghostbusters inspired update.

This isn't more than a modest update overall. They might float a trial balloon but they are sure to find out they have no leverage to charge for it. Unless they totally half-arsed the announcement because they are on the heels trying to regroup. I know the video editor of most of the trailers they've produced, was among those cut.

What datamining site are you talking about? According to the OP at reddit, the survey was sent to his email account, and several others confirmed that they received those as well.

So you believe everything you read online from "reputable" third party sites? Rule #1, mate: If it isn't on a First Party site like this one, in the relevant section, I suggest taking it with a grain of salt.

As I said, UNTIL or UNLESS they actually say ON THIS SITE that they're going to charge for it, it's free.

End of story. Fly safe. o7

I would pay for this, if I get a Proton Pack, or a skin to look like Ray or Egon, since this clearly seems to be a Ghostbusters inspired update.

How about we give you Luke Skywalker's speeder (it sits two people!)?

I could understand being charged for an expansion but they basically said this is the updates coming for this year so I don't see why we would be charged for any of it. This is just fear mongering.... its extra levels you have to pay for it because well you just do damn it!

Reddit? Seriously.....

Yeah, Reddit. The SWTOR subreddit is actually one of the more vibrant and sane communities out there. I know the devs look at it, because they actually answer questions over there as well as on here.

And, people keep pointing at the surveys and saying they are fake, but how can anyone explain that they got details of Makeb, the Cathar, etc, correct, long before they were made public today?

Edited by Enderet
edit

ORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

This could all just be stuff that will come this year, not at the same time.

Next OP: 1.4-5

HK: Maybe 1.3

Level Cap increase: Farther off.

All they wanted to accomplish today, was to let the community know, in light of all the "layoff" and "dev-swap" news, is that they are infact producing lots of new content for SWTOR.

Well, all stuff they announced... It's just too little on content to be paid expansion.

If it was a new chapter to the stories, like other in-game chapters with 3-4 planets (every one of which also has some planetary quest) and some space stations in-between, with voiceovers, cutscenes etc then yes, it would deserve to be a paid content.

But paying for one Ilim-like planetary quest that is the same for all classes, new op, new warzone and some fluff? Noooo waaay!

Edited by PaniMauser

Well, all stuff they announced... It's just too little on content to be paid expansion.

If it was a new chapter to the stories, like other in-game chapters with 3-4 planets (every one of which also has some planetary quest) and some space stations in-between, with voiceovers, cutscenes etc then yes, it would deserve to be a paid content.

But paying for one Ilim-like planetary quest that is the same for all classes, new op, new warzone and some fluff? Noooo waaay!

I agree. However, I am trying to figure out the increase level cap... Has there been a game that provide increase level caps and was free?

Either way I think level caps are too soon even if it doesn't come out until Dec.

I agree. However, I am trying to figure out the increase level cap... Has there been a game that provide increase level caps and was free?

Either way I think level caps are too soon even if it doesn't come out until Dec.

I'm wondering about new lvl-cap too. If they are adding only one planetary quest, where will XP for leveling come from? HMs, OPs, WZs and dailies? Do not want >.< If they introduce new lvl-cap, they should provide enough new content to level to that cap. Leveling with old/repeatable stuff is pretty lame.

Haven't played any other MMOs though (they lack story for my taste), so maybe getting XP from old content for new cap is natural thing.

Edited by PaniMauser

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.