Balance Wars: The Old Republic

T-Assassin

i'm starting to get the feeling SWTOR is heading the same direction of previous failures such as, SWG.

the constant "rebalancing" of classes, nerfs, and assciated fotm's, are taking it's toll on many.

PvP went from a thriving community to one that is grinding comms for WH gear...no ranked WZ's, no OW PvP, no other game modes, no new maps...

all we continue to get is nerf/buff, nerf/buff...

how long has this game been in production? and there is still significant imbalance?!! (CU/NGE)

maybe i'm "wrong" or in the minority, but CONTENT, things to do!!, maps, game modes, and achievable goals/rewards is what makes PvP fun.

revert pre 1.2, and spend your time giving the PvP'r stuff to do, other than complain. altho, the complaints are valid. faction imbalance, lack of stuff to do, population, gear, grinding...

Edited by T-Assassin

The nerf/buff cycle is a sign of health, not sickness. Would you rather they leave imbalances the same when they are discovered?

Players that are happy to exploit a FOTM before it gets nerfed get everything they deserve.

You sound like you are new to MMO's that have an organized pvp component to them, so I'm just going to let you know that nerfs and buffs are inevitable. Get used to it now. it will never be that all the classes are completely balanced with each other. And even if by some miracle that did happen, increasing gear and stats would eventually throw one or more classes a bit out of balance because they might happen to scale better or worse with that statistic.

Basically, you need to deal with it or stop playing MMOs

You sound like you are new to MMO's that have an organized pvp component to them, so I'm just going to let you know that nerfs and buffs are inevitable. Get used to it now. it will never be that all the classes are completely balanced with each other. And even if by some miracle that did happen, increasing gear and stats would eventually throw one or more classes a bit out of balance because they might happen to scale better or worse with that statistic.

Basically, you need to deal with it or stop playing MMOs

guess playing MMO's since 2003 might not give me as much experience as some. perhaps you are right. maybe i should stop playing MMO's.

and again, i think many (as i have had similar discussions before) are mistaken in my worries.

i'm not complaining about balance... i'm concerned that the CONSTANT balancing of classes, INSTEAD OF ADDING CONTENT, is the issue...NOT THE BALANCING ITSELF.

i do not cry when my PT/Merc gets beat by a VG/PT/Assy, etc.

i, as what i feel as a minority on the matter, understand checks and balances, strengths vs weakensses, and proper tactics and teamwork.

but, perhaps you are right. this does seem to be the staple of most MMO's...constant "balance" instead of content...

worked well for SWG, WH, GW, oh...about 95% of the pieces of schizer that have come out since 2003.

i'm prolly just crazy.

People who complain about imbalance are bad at the game.

You have the same opportunity to roll any class that anyone else does, yet the first thing bad people do when they see a player who has invested more time, plays with better skill, or has better teammates supporting them is scream 'nerf'.

Constant rebalancing is something that happens in every game. It usually has less to do with what the players want and more changes in gear and other stats which require rework in the classes they were intended for. You generally just hear from the whiners the most, not the ones who lucked out and ended up playing something that's on the upwards scale of things.

Edited by Zintiel

i'm starting to get the feeling SWTOR is heading the same direction of previous failures such as, SWG.

the constant "rebalancing" of classes, nerfs, and assciated fotm's, are taking it's toll on many.

PvP went from a thriving community to one that is grinding comms for WH gear...no ranked WZ's, no OW PvP, no other game modes, no new maps...

how long has this game been in production? and there is still significant imbalance?!! (CU/NGE)

maybe i'm "wrong" or in the minority, but CONTENT, things to do!!, maps, game modes, and achievable goals/rewards is what makes PvP fun.

revert pre 1.2, and spend your time giving the PvP'r stuff to do, other than complain. altho, the complaints are valid. faction imbalance, lack of stuff to do, population, gear, grinding...

I played SWG pre cu, and there is no way you can be complaining about ANYTHING in SWTOR being a grind when compared to pre NGE SWG.

Still more fun than leveling a second character in SWTOR?

In my memory? Yes it was more fun.

In reality. Not.

Old MMORPG's had a better community, everything was new and cool, now MMO's are old news and the freshness is gone.

In my memory? Yes it was more fun.

In reality. Not.

Old MMORPG's had a better community, everything was new and cool, now MMO's are old news and the freshness is gone.

^^^ that...

and today's "we want it yesterday" mentality, produces many rushed decisions and failures.

and if you are reading my posts as complaints, you are misunderstanding me.

i am merely stating the feeling i am getting, and how it directly mirrors my first year of SWG. great game, having fun...

got caught up in Jedi (unlocked in dec '03) so i had MY content. then, full template, i PvP'd!!

then, CU...massive exodus...no real new content...well, wookiee world :p and a busted arse themepark.

they spent more time effing with classes, instead of giving people stuff to do.

would you rather have:

1. pre 1.2 class "balance" and a dev team focused towards OWPvP, MOAR WZ's, different game modes.

or

2. constant "rebalancing" of classes to fit some mysterious matrix, while pushing back OWPvP, 4 WZ's, and the exciting legacy options, that really only benefit your alts...

(psst...they are not adding content. they are adding fluff, cookies to keep you playing alts until they can come out with an NGE)

that's just the feeling i'm getting...

SWG had an actual community because it was a sandbox MMO.

There was a point to PVP and players had ownership of SOMETHING.

Here it is hit level 50 and grind the same 10 missions every day and win 3 warzones. There is ZERO endgame content and the professions are as balanced as they are going to get save for some energy/heat costs that need to be adjusted.

There should constant tweaking of classes. However the massive changes they in 1.2 was the wrong way to go about it. They had no real way of testing it with the other changes that took place within the game.

Very small incremental changes is the approach they need to take. Massive sweeping changes to almost every class along with "re-doing" the math was a total mistake.

if by PT you me PYROTECH (MERC), yes...

and complaining...again, reading comprehension just isn't what it used to be.

i'm an avid supporter of Merc, and how well it does in the right hands, with the right playstyle.

i should know better than starting a convo in here.

troll food :(

(not all of ya's)

Edited by T-Assassin

PvPing on Naboo was my favorite in SWG, the open world PvP along with PvPing in player made cities was what really made PvP there fun. However, at the same time classes like Combat Medics and the like who could bleed your mental bar (blue) did put a damper on PvP. I never PvP'd after the CU or NGE, but I cant imagine it was much fun.

Edited by Phlem

PvPing on Naboo was my favorite in SWG, the open world PvP along with PvPing in player made cities was what really made PvP there fun. However, at the same time classes like Combat Medics and the like who could bleed your mental bar (blue) did put a damper on PvP. I never PvP'd after the CU or NGE, but I cant imagine it was much fun.

i enjoyed the CU. allowing my BH to use rifle abilities was awesome :)

but, my point is:

too much meddling ruins the food.

and other games' past failures appear to be repeating themselves.

RIGHT!!! lol there no Stuns War in SWG. it got bountyhunting system, factions merge anywhere and pvp. I bet SWG's pvp is too hard for you because it required skills to play. Or you have not played SWG. "SWG's pvp is no good. DC Universe's PVP is better!!" "WoW's pvp is better than SWG". I heard it all the time. Is not this game copy from WoW? if it is then WoW and SWTOR's pvp are same and terrible. Ummm...

RIGHT!!! lol there no Stuns War in SWG. it got bountyhunting system, factions merge anywhere and pvp. I bet SWG's pvp is too hard for you because it required skills to play. Or you have not played SWG. "SWG's pvp is no good. DC Universe's PVP is better!!" "WoW's pvp is better than SWG". I heard it all the time. Is not this game copy from WoW? if it is then WoW and SWTOR's pvp are same and terrible. Ummm...

He never said swg was a total failure. He said SOE is messing up with the nerfs/buffs like Bioware is. You must of not played swg before and never from the start. There were nerfs and buffs in swg and it couldv'e been better.

There should constant tweaking of classes. However the massive changes they in 1.2 was the wrong way to go about it. They had no real way of testing it with the other changes that took place within the game.

Very small incremental changes is the approach they need to take. Massive sweeping changes to almost every class along with "re-doing" the math was a total mistake.

^This

would you rather have:

1. pre 1.2 class "balance" and a dev team focused towards OWPvP, MOAR WZ's, different game modes.

or

2. constant "rebalancing" of classes to fit some mysterious matrix, while pushing back OWPvP, 4 WZ's, and the exciting legacy options, that really only benefit your alts...

(psst...they are not adding content. they are adding fluff, cookies to keep you playing alts until they can come out with an NGE)

that's just the feeling i'm getting...

I'd pick the first option.

Edited by Jonoku

People who complain about imbalance are bad at the game.

You have the same opportunity to roll any class that anyone else does, yet the first thing bad people do when they see a player who has invested more time, plays with better skill, or has better teammates supporting them is scream 'nerf'.

Constant rebalancing is something that happens in every game. It usually has less to do with what the players want and more changes in gear and other stats which require rework in the classes they were intended for. You generally just hear from the whiners the most, not the ones who lucked out and ended up playing something that's on the upwards scale of things.

I love everything you said except for the "lucked out" part. Some classes are meant for support, some need pocket healers. Every class has its place. Hate Marauders? Then stick a sniper on his butt, a good one, not some inept player with no skills. There is a way to put each class in its place and empty their health bar but its like no one wants to invest the time in figuring things out.