How much onlie players does SWTOR actually have?

Videle

And your estimation is based on what, the fact you don't like the game or simply a number you pulled out of thin air.....

The number quoted most recently is based on a stockholder's report. I would tend to figure that is pretty accurate, considering faking those numbers would get a lot of people in a lot of legal trouble.

Well.. we had 27 people online total last night. The other 1,983,000 must be on another server.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And your estimation is based on what, the fact you don't like the game or simply a number you pulled out of thin air.....

The number quoted most recently is based on a stockholder's report. I would tend to figure that is pretty accurate, considering faking those numbers would get a lot of people in a lot of legal trouble.

Come on now the numbers are not faked, they just word things like this to shed positive light.

They said they have 1.3 million active subs. I'm sure they did at the time it was in the middle of giving everyone a free month on their sub.

I wonder what the metrics say for people actually logging in and playing the game? Because looking at the server lists and seeing only light for the most part tells me that there is no where near 1.3 million people playing this game.

Yes, I knew you guys would argue semantics.

You have no idea what "a dip" or "large chunk" is number wise, so you have no idea of what you said is true.

Fact of the matter is: Blizzard admitted that part of their sub loss was due to Star Wars.

When was the last time Blizzard admitted another game took some of their customers?

Initually..yes. But I think they may have got a lot of those back. Atleast in thier last quarter they did not experence any drop in thier total sub base. You can go on my server in WoW and even during non prime time, you will see a lot of players in SW. Last time I checked...I counted 47 priests alone. None prime time. Like I have said before, we will not know for sure how many subs TOR has now until the next quarter report. And even the one following it will tell the real situation, as the 6 month subbers will have expired. The MMO market is very competitive now and we think things are that way now? Just wait.

Well.. we had 27 people online total last night. The other 1,983,000 must be on another server.

LOL! :D No way is there 1.3 million subs now. That would be a very low risk guess if you was playing the stockmarket. :p Speculation of course on my part, but I would venture to say there is less than 800k subs now.

Edited by Valkirus

This was the first MMO where I have seen developer/Publisher literally state they are gunning for WoW, which is a bold statement it self. Which makes the condition of this game all more confusing. I mean, they were gunning for WoW, but they didn't do any research at all, they created a Star Wars version of 2006 WoW and were expecting to compete with a 2011 WoW? If they really did their homework, they would know they would have needed to launch with the same quality of life features, and other features of WoW in order to compete. EA/Bioware were really betting on the Star Wars name, and Voice overs to really carry this game to beating WoW. Perhaps if they released a Star Wars version of 2011 WoW, then they could have possibly done what they set out to do.

Before calling me a fanboy, what MMO, other than WoW, has ever exceeded 1 million strong as far as subscribers go?

Also, while you are at it, why not check how many people quit subbing to wow after the initial few months of the game. I guarantee you that EVERY single game out there has a drop in subs after the initial free period and one-six month subs.

Finally, before you call me a fanboy, I am not currently playing the game myself. I simply enjoy laughing at people who think they are any better than those that support the game with their gloom and doom predictions and bashing anyone who says anything positive about the game.

Before calling me a fanboy, what MMO, other than WoW, has ever exceeded 1 million strong as far as subscribers go?

Also, while you are at it, why not check how many people quit subbing to wow after the initial few months of the game. I guarantee you that EVERY single game out there has a drop in subs after the initial free period and one-six month subs.

Finally, before you call me a fanboy, I am not currently playing the game myself. I simply enjoy laughing at people who think they are any better than those that support the game with their gloom and doom predictions and bashing anyone who says anything positive about the game.

Why are you not playing the game now?

LOL! :D No way is there 1.3 million subs now. That would be a very low risk guess if you was playing the stockmarket. :p Speculation of course on my part, but I would venture to say there is less than 800k subs now.

You realize the statement about 1.3 million is from a stockholder's report, which have to be fairly accurate considering they are in a lot of deep legal trouble if they simply make up numbers to provide income numbers in a filing that has to pass through the SEC.

You realize the statement about 1.3 million is from a stockholder's report, which have to be fairly accurate considering they are in a lot of deep legal trouble if they simply make up numbers to provide income numbers in a filing that has to pass through the SEC.

Well yeah..but do you realize that report was as of April? This is May 18th. :rolleyes: The time they took the sub count, yeah.there was 1.3 million paying subs. There is some debate tho on how they count thier subs and I do know Blizz only counts subs which have been active the last 30 days. But no matter, I think it is safe to say as of NOW, there is no way near 1.3 million subs.

What do you think the peak ratio is? (i.e. players logged in during the peak hour divided by average player per hour)

Gads... I don't know. I think in order to get at that question you'd have to log in during peak hours and /who the population on both sides. On a lot of servers. And then you'd have to realize each server is different, so the average of a small group of servers may not apply to the larger group of servers.... difficult to know.

Here's something I do know. I census the pop on my own server intermittently (http://www.thethirteenthlegion.torportal.com click survey on the right, there's a link to the data). Peak times (1700-0000) range from about 700 or so to about 1,000 or so, averaging out to about 800 or 900. According to my math, we're about 600 from torstatus? So call that torstatus average to peak ratio of 1.3? That's an extremely uncertain number though.

But I have no idea if that is at all equivalent to other servers...

Edited by Scorpienne

Fair enough , I was giving it a fair chance of microtransactions , I guess it could close completely.

Considering that the amount of subscribers that Galaxies had near the end of it's life was abysmally low and yet it continued to draw in money from people willing to pay to play the game until forcefully shut down for the launch of this one, you're wrong.

But keep believing that Star Wars can die because you dislike the game, that's your opinion.

Once again, you're wrong, but that's your opinion.

Edited by Lazirus-

Here's something I do know. I census the pop on my own server intermittently (http://www.thethirteenthlegion.torportal.com click survey on the right, there's a link to the data). Peak times (1700-0000) range from about 700 or so to about 1,000 or so, averaging out to about 800 or 900. According to my math, we're about 600 from torstatus? So call that torstatus average to peak ratio of 1.3? That's an extremely uncertain number though.

But I have no idea if that is at all equivalent to other servers...

Have you seen any correlation between your own server measurements and the TorStatus population trends for that server such that you can estimate a population drop ( or increase) against future trends?

Considering that the amount of subscribers that Galaxies had near the end of it's life was abysmally low and yet it continued to draw in money from people willing to pay to play the game until forcefully shut down for the launch of this one, you're wrong.

But keep believing that Star Wars can die because you dislike the game, that's your opinion.

Once again, you're wrong, but that's your opinion.

Blah blah blah , it shut down , end of.

I don't dislike TOR, had a great time for 3 months .

F2P does not equal dying.

My opinion isn't wrong, it's just my opinion, you may have one as well.

Blah blah blah , it shut down , end of.

I don't dislike TOR, had a great time for 3 months .

F2P does not equal dying.

My opinion isn't wrong, it's just my opinion, you may have one as well.

Ignoring the fact why it shut down is reasonable? Especially considering that it was for another Star Wars game.

And I wasn't addressing it going F2P, I was addressing you saying that it could "close completely".

Which equals dying.

Edited by Lazirus-

Well, since right now 94% of the servers are Light (12 Standard out of 213) and we know the switch from Light to Standard is 350.

So, giving every Light server 350 players (Which is the Max) and every Standard server 1500 (Guess) we get:

91500 total players on right now.

And since no way every Light server has 350 people, and no way the 12 Standards have 1500 people, we can adjust those numbers to around 40000/60000.

Brutal.

so many? 400,000 people is a lot? those 400,000 people are probably the ones that came from wow thinking it was something for them...people come and leave :) This is NOT a big drop for TOR. It is doing very very well for an mmo. The more bioware keeps putting things in in patches, the more good rep will get around.

btw...you will see. The lfg tool will be cross server, and there will be server transfers, along with the copy to test server. That's why it's called Allies. All this server crap is going to happen in this one. What everyone wanted...yet again. But will people be happy? no...the complainers will complain!

When WoW launched and even 5 months into the game had major problems and had people JUST LIKE TOR saying, "lolol blizzard..your game is going to fail if you don't do this"...one year later ALL the **** was in..just like TOR will do and they kept gaining subs. Just like TOR will do...soo...yeah. Stop with the doomsdaying. It's not gonna happen...give it a rest

This.

I was there at WoW's launch and it was abysmal. It is truly amazing that WoW survived to be what it is with the launch it had. At that time the bleed off of players was far worse then what TOR experienced. Main reason why I stayed in EverQuest a bit longer.

TOR has alot of room and oppurtunity to grow and expand given time.

This.

TOR has alot of room and oppurtunity to grow and expand given time.

I am not sure about that. WOW launch was years ago. No we have tons of MMORPG. And tons of new MMORPG. With the current rate of bleed SWTOR can die very soon.

Greetings,

We do realize that server population and related topics are of great concern to our community. There are already a few different conversations you can join, so you might want to add your thoughts here:

Server Population: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=438399

Server Transfers: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=441119

Server Transfers Now: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=457244

Server Merges: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=457226

Subs: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=456661

You may also be interested in reading what Dallas Dickinson said regarding server transfers in a recent Weekly Q&A:

Arymono: When will character transfers be available for everybody?

Dallas Dickinson (Senior Producer, Live Services): We will be rolling out our Character Transfer Service in early summer. First we’ll have some targeted free transfers from/to specific servers, but that will be followed with a broader system where you can either take advantage of free promotional transfers to specific servers or paid transfers to the server of your choice. We know everyone has more questions about character transfer, and we’ll reveal more details closer to the launch date.

DrakeAssaShin: What is being done to address low population servers?

Dallas: The Character Transfer Service, as mentioned above, will be offering free transfers from/to specific servers. This should allow the most motivated players to get onto a higher population server.

We hope this sheds some light on the issue. We are closing this thread now. Thank you for your feedback!