How much onlie players does SWTOR actually have?

Videle

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He also emphasized how the game was going to take a large chunk of WoW's market away from them.

Who exactly are WoW's market?

You are reading too much into it. You are assuming right off the hop they would steal half of WoW's players. I'm looking at it more in the long run but where I will agree is that they don't understand how many players have invested a lot of time and money into WoW and it's really hard for them to let go. They also under estimated how many people who do play mmo's don't have high end machines capable of running swtor.

He also emphasized how the game was going to take a large chunk of WoW's market away from them.

Who exactly are WoW's market?

WoW's market is made up of chinese farmers and 12 year olds falling for buying gold etc. :)

You are reading too much into it. You are assuming right off the hop they would steal half of WoW's players. I'm looking at it more in the long run but where I will agree is that they don't understand how many players have invested a lot of time and money into WoW and it's really hard for them to let go. They also under estimated how many people who do play mmo's don't have high end machines capable of running swtor.

The only people making assumptions are EA & Bioware. That because it has the Star Wars label, it will be huge.

And a direct quote for giggles:

Gibeau fully acknowledges that EA took "lessons" from WoW, but he also notes that the BioWare story and the lure of the Star Wars universe will be a big draw for many.

A dip, is not the "large chunk" they were after. In fact WoW lost 100k of players in the quarter ToR was released.

"Of course people are trying Star Wars - our development team are trying Star Wars! I'm one of the few people who's still playing it actually, but yeah we've seen a dip in subs. It certainly has to at least be attributable to The Old Republic, but it's also attributable to people who want to wait and get Mists of Pandaria, so it's not surprising. "

And a direct quote for giggles:

Gibeau fully acknowledges that EA took "lessons" from WoW, but he also notes that the BioWare story and the lure of the Star Wars universe will be a big draw for many. "

Who are not WoW players

i get average 100 players on my server at once thats just sad allow server migration before your game dies face the facts and stop god damn lying and wanting money you wont have money if you dont do something about it this isnt a movie make people know that no one interacts with each other make the game harder or it will die

A dip, is not the "large chunk" they were after. In fact WoW lost 100k of players in the quarter ToR was released.

"Of course people are trying Star Wars - our development team are trying Star Wars! I'm one of the few people who's still playing it actually, but yeah we've seen a dip in subs. It certainly has to at least be attributable to The Old Republic, but it's also attributable to people who want to wait and get Mists of Pandaria, so it's not surprising. "

Yes, I knew you guys would argue semantics.

You have no idea what "a dip" or "large chunk" is number wise, so you have no idea of what you said is true.

Fact of the matter is: Blizzard admitted that part of their sub loss was due to Star Wars.

When was the last time Blizzard admitted another game took some of their customers?

this game is good really awesome but people is leaving because they don't want to reroll on another server losing their 50's just because their server is low population and they unsub cause they were dissapointed so supposedly bioware is going to fix this with server merges and transfers but who knows if that will ever happen it's not a very good time to begin on this game unless you go into the most populated servers (i recommend the harbinder :D)

I am on a server that is above average poulation and there is never more than 200 or 300 people on at a time. Unless they have 10.000 servers there is nowhere near 2 million people playing.

I'm amazed there are still people who don't understand the notion that players do not play 24 hours, 7 days a week.

i get average 100 players on my server at once thats just sad allow server migration before your game dies face the facts and stop gosh darn lying and wanting money you wont have money if you dont do something about it this isnt a movie make people know that no one interacts with each other make the game harder or it will die

Doom doom doom.

Theres nowhere even remotely close to the 1.3 mill theyre putting out.

It was a total marketing scam so that they could SAY they had 1.3 mill subscribers.

How?

- 1.2 hits. Lots of hopers resubbed to try it. Bioware lightbulb on top of head flashes dingdingding lets give everyone a free month so our next set of numbers we publish are huge even if they arent playing.

Now they publish these very healthy numbers of 1.3 million, and its a load of balls. Youll be lucky if theres still 300k people playing now and thats being optimistic.

Just a load of inactive accounts riding free months is all them numbers are.

Edited by Psyclosis

Now they publish these very healthy numbers of 1.3 million, and its a load of balls. Youll be lucky if theres still 300k people playing now and thats being optimistic.

Source, data, citation, anything to show that you are not pulling numbers out of thin air?

Source, data, citation, anything to show that you are not pulling numbers out of thin air?

If you have to even ask that question then you really need to jump down from your fanboi perch.

Its just inactive accounts riding out free months from 1.2 thats all them numbers were.

Lets take my server which was in the top 3 pop. We used to have 250 in the fleet and multiple instances of it when 1.2 hit (biowares numbers)

Now we only just break 100 in prime time.

They can fiddle their numbers to look good, but they cant fiddle their ingame population the same way.

http://www.torstatus.net/shards/us

apart from 2 servers at very heavy sometimes, the whole remainder of the server list is at standard and worse.

my old server thana vesh had a rating of 1.06 on there, and when we counted last month it had 300 people online. Nowadays the fleet is lucky to break 20 so i would guess 150 or so online.

Would love to know where the 1.3 million players are for reals

Edited by Psyclosis

^ I lol'd.

1.3 million sounds a bought right. The story system, the classes and the fact it's Star Wars is more draw than most MMO's have had in a while. They have done a solid job of making an MMO, and it will only get better. WoW had issues at it's opening as well. It will take time, and 1.3 million is neither unbelievable nor insane.

To be clear I do not believe SWTOR will ever be able to 'kill' WoW. No MMO will. WoW will die on it's own when BLizzard is ready, and even than it will always have subscribers.

Edited by ArlexVez
Clarification

Like a few attentive non-fanboys have stated, after the free 30 days are over and the people who bought 6 month game time cant be counted as subs, this game will have under 1 mil subscribers. (Assuming they ever release this information) Not to mention that there are still 1-2 more months of unsubs coming before 1.3; a patch that has no new endgame content and is merely adding some functionality elements that should have been in since launch. If you are such a fanboy and believe this game is totally fine, then read the following carefully, get up from the computer, take several steps back and run as fast as possible head first into the wall and knock yourself into a coma because you obviously belong in a delusory reality.

Yes, I knew you guys would argue semantics.

You have no idea what "a dip" or "large chunk" is number wise, so you have no idea of what you said is true.

Fact of the matter is: Blizzard admitted that part of their sub loss was due to Star Wars.

When was the last time Blizzard admitted another game took some of their customers?

And perhaps you should learn to read what you link. The Blizzard rep called it a dip.

100k is 1% of WoW's sub base. 1% of their population left WoW and they attribute some of the loss due to the release of ToR.

1% is not a large chunk. 100k doesn't put ToR in a position to challenge for the top MMO title as they expected it would.

Edited by Aktavote

i think after the transfers and all that happens, then they will server merge.

instead of seeing majority light some standard 3 or 4 heavy very heavy full, you will see:

full

full

full

full

full

full

very heavy

very heavy

very heavy

very heavy

very heavy

heavy

heavy

heavy

heavy

heavy

heavy

heavy

heavy

standard

standard

standard

standard

standard

standard

I think just the server status page LOOKING like that will give people the impression in their minds that the game is doing very very well. Because there will be mostly ones with very high population on them. I think server merging will do they game good. Then if the 1.3 lfg tool isn't cross server this patch, they will make it future on down the road I believe. I think merging will do good for the game. It alone will make it 'look" like it's doing VERY well instead of putting a negative look to it where the player goes "man...why are these allll light!!?" they will go "ddaaammmnnn they are all mostly high pop! nice!" that's what I think anyway

Edited by Sarfux

Server merges will never happen. Its pointless to talk about it.

How many of the 1.2 Mil subs were suckered into buying multi-month subscriptions but don't actually log onto the game anymore? I think saying half is being pretty generous.

I wouldn't say never.

Daniel Erickson was asked about it and he said

"Are server merges a possible solution? Absolutely. Are character transfers a possible solution? They’re a definite solution and we’re going after that first. But all things are on the table. Our entire goal is to make sure that players are playing in the environment they want to, with the type of community and the size of population they want, and we are driving towards all of that."

That's why I think they will merge the servers AFTER the transfers. Everyone will get to where they want to go, mostly out of the dead servers, THEN they will see what the dead servers are and merge them :)