How much onlie players does SWTOR actually have?

Videle

No, but expecting Bioware to be able to solve the problem yesterday is.

How much time do they really need? We already know they can do transfers given that they did it for the Ausies. The servers dying has been apparent for at the very least 3 months now. So yeah, there are some things they could have taken care of already, and that is not unreasonable.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, that one is easy

Lack of patience, unrealistic expectations, and short attention spans.

I'm telling you...some company should just make a game called "legendary" and just have an epic all open world endgame world raiding. where you have nothing but a world of raids on every zone. no no....20 raids in every zone and an "epic" button where you can get everything and constantly give out new weapons for raiding EVERY week. ya know... i don't think that would even please some of the people...lol

If you think it's so bad, then why you spending so much time on the forums?

Do you repeatedly watch movies you hate, too?

hey man...some people get off on doing things they hate. You ask me...THATS mental..

I'm telling you...some company should just make a game called "legendary" and just have an epic all open world endgame world raiding. where you have nothing but a world of raids on every zone. no no....20 raids in every zone and an "epic" button where you can get everything and constantly give out new weapons for raiding EVERY week. ya know... i don't think that would even please some of the people...lol

:rolleyes: what a stupid post that is not even remotely based on reality.

Because I can.

I love the people that can't grasp the parallels within the human mind to reach out and understand this game. Can't follow the stories? Can't make decisions? Think, it's not that hard. So you come on the forums to QQ. Brilliant. AYAL?

How much time do they really need? We already know they can do transfers given that they did it for the Ausies. The servers dying has been apparent for at the very least 3 months now. So yeah, there are some things they could have taken care of already, and that is not unreasonable.

Yes it is.

Simply because, unless you work at a game company, you have no idea what all it takes to do a server transfer.

:rolleyes: what a stupid post that is not even remotely based on reality.

POINT SET AND MATCH!

EXACTLY what complainers are doing. what stupid posts they make. It is not even remotely based on reality.... ironic isnt it!! think before you speak

I love the people that can't grasp the parallels within the human mind to reach out and understand this game. Can't follow the stories? Can't make decisions? Think, it's not that hard. So you come on the forums to QQ. Brilliant. AYAL?

I love the people that can't grasp the parallels within the human mind to reach out and understand that this is not a very good MMO.

every game has their person that LOVES the game :)

This game is....a unique game for a different crowd. look at the link in my signature :)

and yes...yes I love SWTOR!!! A LOT!!

Yeah they are called fanboys.

Also read the post in your sig when you posted it a few days ago and it just came across to me as the naive opinion of someone that hasn't been playing the game for very long or thinks that the game should have simple been a single player KoTOR 3 instead of an MMO.

Even if it is only 250,000 subscribers (give or take a few 3-6 month subs) at least $3 million in revenue every month.

So, lets say 1 million subscribers @ $15 per month, well it doesn't take a great mathematician to realise that i would not cost 15 million dollars per month to physically operate SWTOR, and who does anything without profit. I can't speculate on what bioware employees get paid, but I think it would be fair to say of an estimated 15 million turnover monthly, approx 180 million annually, it will still take them a couple years to break even on what they spent developing this game, so regardless of population on servers, it will be around for at least 24 months.

POINT SET AND MATCH!

EXACTLY what complainers are doing. what stupid posts they make. It is not even remotely based on reality.... ironic isnt it!! think before you speak

Really? Dying servers is not remotely based on reality? Horrible performance for Ilum PvP, is not remotely based on reality?

I am on a server that is above average poulation and there is never more than 200 or 300 people on at a time. Unless they have 10.000 servers there is nowhere near 2 million people playing.

Not everyone plays all the time, some play a couple of hours each day, some play a few hours some days but not every day, some only play weekends. In MMOs the number of players on a server is much larger than the peak population at any one time.

Edited by Arlbo_Nabbins

Even if it is only 250,000 subscribers (give or take a few 3-6 month subs) at least $3 million in revenue every month.

So, lets say 1 million subscribers @ $15 per month, well it doesn't take a great mathematician to realise that i would not cost 15 million dollars per month to physically operate SWTOR, and who does anything without profit. I can't speculate on what bioware employees get paid, but I think it would be fair to say of an estimated 15 million turnover monthly, approx 180 million annually, it will still take them a couple years to break even on what they spent developing this game, so regardless of population on servers, it will be around for at least 24 months.

You are forgetting the sale of the game it self, which is about 144,000,000 in sales, with 40% of that coming from Origin online line sales. I wouldn't doubt by now they have already broke even.

POINT SET AND MATCH!

And what exactly are fanboys like you doing? Digging your head in the sand pretending absolutely nothing is wrong with the game? Pretending Bioware NEVER makes any mistakes and this game is made out of pure awesome with absolutely nothing at all wrong with it. SWTOR loses 400k subs and you simply tell them: "Meh, you didn't need them anyway!". This may come as a shock to you but they are in this to MAKE money. If they lose a number as big as 24% of their subscribers in just a 2 month period do you honestly think that the people in charge aren't going to want to take a step back and say they're doing something wrong? In terms of money they lost a potential $6,000,000 a month($15 x 400,000) with those 400k subs.

People that do nothing but irrationally complain about the game are wrong, especially when they simply say "this game sucks" instead of explaining specifically what is wrong with it. On the other hand fanboys that claim absolutely nothing is wrong with the game are just as wrong because you are telling the developers that everything is OK and that they don't need to fix a single thing to keep normal people that aren't fanboys or complainers from playing the game.

You are forgetting the sale of the game it self, which is about 144,000,000 in sales, with 40% of that coming from Origin online line sales. I wouldn't doubt by now they have already broke even.

Don't forget about Uncle Sam and general other costs that came after the initial investment.

Edited by Xrayll

every game has their person that LOVES the game :)

This game is....a unique game for a different crowd. look at the link in my signature :)

and yes...yes I love SWTOR!!! A LOT!!

That you had to write a post detailing what this game is suggests that the game is in trouble. There would be no need for you to be defending the game so much if it were in a better state.

A unique game for a different crowd? EA & Bioware don't think so:

http://www.industrygamers.com/news/wow-to-lose-big-chunk-of-market-share-to-star-wars-old-republic-says-ea/

http://www.industrygamers.com/news/wow-feels-like-a-shopping-list-says-ea/

Thats not a bad idea :p lol

Let's do a back of the envelope check for a moment.

The company has stated that the game makes a profit at anything over 500,000 (based on it's current operating plan)

Assuming an aggregate mix of subscription plans, lets say $14 per sub per month. That would be $7 million per month. That establishes your baseline on what their monthly operations costs are: $7 million. Which makes sense since I have seen multiple sources that they have ~ 400 to 450 staff committed to this project. That payroll (including fringes and other overhead expenses) will net out at about $4 to $5 million depending on their actual payroll. I assume the rest probably goes to Lucas Arts as their monthly royalty payment (rumored to be in the 30% range, with a floor $$ guarantee).

Pretty much every dollar for any subs above the 500K mark falls to the profit line (minus royalty payments to LA), so that is their profit floor.

If their subs drop below $500K run rate average, then they need to reset their plan and lower their operations costs (ie: move staff off the game development and support), or run at a loss. It would scale proportionally for the most part, though the lower the subs, the larger chunk of their operations cost will goe to revenue guarantees to LA (I'm sure they have a risk/reward revenue sharing plan as part of their license agreement, but it will favor a floor payment to LA regardless of sub numbers)

And Bioware does not have to recoup investment costs, as these are capitalized, and accounted for at the EA level as a sunk cost on a capital depreciation schedule (which probably already began before the game launched).

Edited by Andryah

That you had to write a post detailing what this game is suggests that the game is in trouble. There would be no need for you to be defending the game so much if it were in a better state.

http://www.industrygamers.com/news/wow-to-lose-big-chunk-of-market-share-to-star-wars-old-republic-says-ea/

Hmm read the article and he very much emphasized on how it's a "Story" driven game. To me they were looking at the RPG crowd and not the twitch gamer crowd

This was the first MMO where I have seen developer/Publisher literally state they are gunning for WoW, which is a bold statement it self. Which makes the condition of this game all more confusing. I mean, they were gunning for WoW, but they didn't do any research at all, they created a Star Wars version of 2006 WoW and were expecting to compete with a 2011 WoW? If they really did their homework, they would know they would have needed to launch with the same quality of life features, and other features of WoW in order to compete. EA/Bioware were really betting on the Star Wars name, and Voice overs to really carry this game to beating WoW. Perhaps if they released a Star Wars version of 2011 WoW, then they could have possibly done what they set out to do.

Hmm read the article and he very much emphasized on how it's a "Story" driven game. To me they were looking at the RPG crowd and not the twitch gamer crowd

He also emphasized how the game was going to take a large chunk of WoW's market away from them.

Who exactly are WoW's market?