I am angry about the economic exploit.

bheta

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep this as well... tho by taking away all the gear and money from the majority of cheaters will simply lead to the same thing as a perma ban.. they would simply leave and move onto another game... they wouldnt want to have to grind everything all over again now the expoloits had been closed off... so BW will just tell them off politely with a warning that will never be taken further and the player gets to keep all the spoils that gained... with a big cheesy grin on their face ..

cheaters should be banned..and if taking away the **** they got illegally makes them so butthurt that they quit..then good...

Will see, one of my guild mates abused of this exploit, just spent millions credit, in full unlocks (tabs, bank tabs, legacy), stims, rare materials, bought all mounts, etc...

And still got around 750 million credits, i want to see if Bioware does something to him...ill tell you guys as soon as i have news, at this exact moment, nothing has been done to him.

they should ban you also for not reporting this earlier...standing back and doing nothing is the same as doing it yourself...but im sure he bought you and your guild lots of new shinys to play with.

cheaters should be banned..and if taking away the **** they got illegally makes them so butthurt that they quit..then good...

They should be yes but sadly they won't. It will also have an effect on GTN for sure since if there's something new put there these cheaters will buy all the cool stuff off from there without losing any credits.

they should ban you also for not reporting this earlier...standing back and doing nothing is the same as doing it yourself...but im sure he bought you and your guild lots of new shinys to play with.

He has already stated on multiple points that he HAS indeed, reported the offender. Please read the whole of the thread. There is no need for the snark we he already stated he has reported.

Edited by Annedromeda

They should either delete their characters, or ban them perminently. Leaving stuff like this alone does more damage than just banning the offenders in the end.

Also speedhacking is probably one of the easiest things to detect. Since the server keeps track of the player's location it's easy for it to spot a player moving faster than they should be (and even move them back to where they should be). They should be perm banning people using these to.

Edited by NasherUK

He has already stated on multiple points that he HAS indeed, reported the offender. Please read the whole of the thread. There is no need for the snark we he already stated he has reported.

and you believe that? if so i have beach front property in arizona id like to sell you. his reply to you was just covering his own butt. if his guild did not like what he was doing they would have kicked him and distanced themselves from him. you know all to well the whole guild benifited from this,and anyone that tells you otherwise is lying.

They should either delete their characters, or ban them perminently. Leaving stuff like this alone does more damage than just banning the offenders in the end..

I agree with this.. I have absolutely no sympathy for people that utilize credit purchasing services or use exploits. They are all foul in my opinion and should be met with the most severe punishment. While they may be contributing 14.99 a month, they are impacting the other 500,000 or more of us who are playing the game correctly.

and you believe that? if so i have beach front property in arizona id like to sell you. his reply to you was just covering his own butt. if his guild did not like what he was doing they would have kicked him and distanced themselves from him. you know all to well the whole guild benifited from this,and anyone that tells you otherwise is lying.

Whether or not any of us believe him is irrelevant. And so is the snark. End of.

Its safe to say that all those people who have been found exploiting will be dealt with. Whether Bioware just takes the money they made from the exploit and leave it at that, or take it further. Its down to them but I have complete faith Bioware will deal with these people.

Are you talking about the two exploits that were fixed around january? Or are you talking about something new?

If the january exploit is what you're talking about, nothing much happened. The exploit community pretty much determined that players were getting warnings at best and temp bans at worst. Only a few really brazen offenders got perma-bans.

The new exploit patched today. Nobody seems to know what the exploit is though, so we have no idea as to whether this really was having as huge an impact on the economy as some are claiming.

This crap mostly makes me angry since I actually am wealthy in-game. I worked my *** off making it all via the GTN. Exploits like this that introduce rampant inflation make me want to quit too. Edited by Parali
discussion of action taken against player account

They should ban people that don't use at least 1% of the brain.

Did I say that I reported this only today, I'm actually speaking of it publicly because it has been officially removed, I reported the moment I confirmed it was true.

Edited by kryator

Greetings everyone,

We know that our community is very concerned about in-game exploits and we take reports of this type of behavior very seriously. In a recent Community News article, we made a statement about our policy on cheating and what we are doing about it:

We place a high priority on ensuring a safe and fair game environment within Star Wars™: The Old Republic™. As part of this, we continually monitor the live game service for exploits and cheats within the game. Anyone found to be in violation of our Terms of Service risks action being taken on their game account, up to and including the possibility of being permanently banned from play.

With Game Update 1.2, new measures were put in place to improve our detection of exploits, particularly in relation to 'speed hacking' and teleport cheats. With the help of this improved detection, we recently took action against hundreds of game accounts. In many cases these accounts were permanently removed from the game after being investigated by our Terms of Service team, who double-check every detected account to ensure fair rulings.

Moving forward, we will continue to improve and upgrade our detection methods, but we still need your help. If you witness what you believe to be an exploit while playing Star Wars: The Old Republic, please notify Customer Service by clicking the '?' icon in the game client (by default, situated at the top of your screen). Every reported incident is reviewed by our Terms of Service team and action will be taken when warranted.

Thank you for your continuing cooperation in helping us maintain a safe and fair environment in Star Wars: The Old Republic!

We hope this sheds some light on the matter. We would like to remind everyone to use the In Game Customer Service Portal to report any behavior you believe is an exploit.

Also, please remember that while discussions about exploits in general are permitted, neither specific instructions or links to sites on exploits nor discussion of actions taken against violators is not.

Thank you!

Edited by Parali

I reported him, me and several others, we will see what happens next.

You are obviously not Italian.

You pull him off into a corner and make him an offer he can't refuse. You and your friends walk away with a couple million each and he walks away believing his secret is safe.

Then next week you report him. ;p

There is a difference between hacking and taking advantage of exploits introduced by BioWare.

I don't see the difference. Cheating is cheating. The punishment should be proportional to the harm done, not the mechanism through which the cheating occurred.

You are obviously not Italian.

You pull him off into a corner and make him an offer he can't refuse. You and your friends walk away with a couple million each and he walks away believing his secret is safe.

Then next week you report him. ;p

Pretty sure he and the other guildmates got a fair share of all those millions already ;)

Also

I don't see the difference. Cheating is cheating. The punishment should be proportional to the harm done, not the mechanism through which the cheating occurred.
Exactly. The cheater knew it was an exploit and he abused it intentionally. This scale of exploiting causes big damage on economy and the abuser should be permanently banned.

It's a no-brainer really and if BW isn't going to do anything I can't but facepalm and wonder what the **** they want with this game because obviously it wouldn't be a fair environment.

But we saw how the exploiters got away with the valor before so one should not expect much punishments to be dealt.

Edited by PalawaJoko

Greetings everyone,

We know that our community is very concerned about in-game exploits and we take reports of this type of behavior very seriously. In a recent Community News article, we made a statement about our policy on cheating and what we are doing about it:

Thanks Paralli. A quick question, given that it's ok to discuss exploits in general. Has this policy recently been changed or are you simply reiterating the standing policies? The reason I ask is that SWTOR has developed a reputation for extremely lax punishments for identified exploiters among the exploit community. I was wondering if anything has been changed to stop this?

Edited by Stealthy_Monkey

have a read of this http://www.swtor.com/blog/action-being-taken-against-exploits-and-cheats

With Game Update 1.2, new measures were put in place to improve our detection of exploits, particularly in relation to 'speed hacking' and teleport cheats. With the help of this improved detection, we recently took action against hundreds of game accounts.

Wow, they finally acknowledged the Spped/teleport hacks.

Having personally watched (and reported) players in PVP using these XYZ hacks, I am glad to see they are working towards stopping it permanently.

I mean...cheating in PVP in a game like this is pretty lame to begin with.

Thanks Bioware!!

Good stuff. :jawa_angel:

- DH

Edited by Parali
discussion of moderation

Wow, they finally acknowledged the Spped/teleport hacks.

Having personally watched players in PVP using these XYZ hacks, I am glad to see they are working towards stopping it permanently.

I mean...cheating in PVP in a game like this is pretty lame to begin with.

Thanks Bioware!!

Good stuff. :jawa_angel:

- DH

cheating at any of these games is lame

Edited by Parali
bad quote

Since day 1, and before, the cheaters and exploiters have been allowed to do it over and over... when reported they get a simple slap on the wrist and a stern "DONT DO THAT!" then are allowed back in, keeping what they had amassed and went about the business of finding something new to work on ... it happens in every game.. heck in alot of games you just input codes and away you go.. The differnwece is thats normally single player where the player only cheats themselves.. in MMO's those same players use to effect advantage over others.. but the punishmnets never balance out the crimes, and never will... WHY?? cos BW would simply be cutting its own wrists and bleed its own sub base... they know its prevalent, but to act decisively now would likely mean a sizeable chunck of subs go a walking and they dont want that.. so "PLEASE DONT DO THAT!!" is all ya gunna get.

On a serious note. This bit of misinformation quoted is typical of the hyperbole, conjecture, and our right lies that we so often see on these boards, written, quite often, by people with an axe to grind.

Thankfully, in this case, a representative of the company has responded with accuracy, truth, and the affirmation that they do, indeed, do more then "nothing", and are very interested in preventing exploits and cheats to the point that they have implemented mechanics for that exact purpose.

We are inundated with this on these boards every day. We hear the negative conjecture every day as they attempt to sway the opinions of players and prospective players away from the game as a means of fulfilling some inane vendetta against this game and company.

To me, combating those lies with actual facts is as important to the life of this game, and my fun, as any credit hack could ever be. When you read these boards, take this type of quoted hysterical rantings with a grain of salt, and answer them accordingly.

Edited by Parali
bad quote

This crap mostly makes me angry since I actually am wealthy in-game. I worked my *** off making it all via the GTN. Exploits like this that introduce rampant inflation make me want to quit too.

You have a good point and are exactly correct.

The ramifications for people that pull these exploits off are never to the extent of what they should be, I doubt bioware will do a lot about it as it is an issue they have created that has been exploited, not hacked, and there is a difference. You here stories now and again of people getting money accidently payed into there bank accounts in real life, and they go on major spending sprees. Are they sent to prison for theft, no, they didnt steal anything. They became by what law states, a victim of there own intent, and are generally forced to pay it back, with monthly payments enforced to clear any outstanding monies that cannot be recouped.

The issue in a game like SWTOR is they are able to control the GTN, buy what they like and dictate prices if they really wish to. They have the ability to buy all the perks, bells and whistles that the majority have to earn via legitimate methods, and it is, as the title says, an Economic issue. Unless the players that have pulled it off have all there perks and credits removed, and i mean all of them, they should be reset, to bare bones for doing something they know is wrong, and basically suffer the punishment for not abiding to the game rules of reporting a bug or exploit. The repercussions will exist for a long time after unless this happens. Is this a harsh punishment for them, I don't think so. They should be allowed to continue the game. Next time is perma-ban though, and there characters should be left with nothing but the BFH.

The problem with the world today is governments and criminal organisations believe you solve crime by giving out hugs and love, because people didn't have good child hoods and all that ****. Back in the Cowboy and Victorian days, if you stole something they cut off your hand. The beauty of virtual worlds is they don't apply to these cotton wool laws, and can do what they like to a virtual creation. Personally i would leave there accounts open and delete all there characters. End of story. If that happened players would think twice about exploiting game bugs again.

Edited by Parali
bad quote

Thanks Paralli. A quick question, given that it's ok to discuss exploits in general. Has this policy recently been changed or are you simply reiterating the standing policies? The reason I ask is that SWTOR has developed a reputation for extremely lax punishments for identified exploiters among the exploit community. I was wondering if anything has been changed to stop this?

Once again demonstrating my point about conjecture being promulgated into law.

That reputation is built solely upon a foundation of hyperbole. People read it, they accept it without question.

Next time you read some of that rubbish, answer with factual information.

He has no reason to come on here a lie. He offered up the info freely. Your cynicism is misplaced.