Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

leveling an alt, is boring?

ibervang

Am i the only one who would like to level an alt, but gets bored with it, because you are always the same places, doing the same Q's. I guess I could skip them/some of them and just focus on class Q's. I just fear I will end up with lacking with gear/credits etc

I dont mind leveling alts. I dont spacebar through the cutscenes, dont see the reason to be in such a hurry to do so.

To each their own. If you find it boring then try to mix it up some. Say do some quests, play some PvP, do some space battles, that way you arnt just questing.

Am i the only one who would like to level an alt, but gets bored with it, because you are always the same places, doing the same Q's. I guess I could skip them/some of them and just focus on class Q's. I just fear I will end up with lacking with gear/credits etc

Yes it gets very boring, i'm on my 4th & 5th at the moment. Just doing the class quests mixed with a bit of pvp & flashpoints, the leveling part is fine but as you predicted credits are an issue for me.

I dont mind leveling alts. I dont spacebar through the cutscenes, dont see the reason to be in such a hurry to do so.

To each their own. If you find it boring then try to mix it up some. Say do some quests, play some PvP, do some space battles, that way you arnt just questing.

^ This, heres how I am doing it with my IA and what I did with my Trooper.

I level by just pvp/space combat dailies with the occasional FP thrown in if I am feeling up to it and companion convos. It takes some time, and I usually just stop after doing the dailies and then the next do it all over again....yes it takes time and requires patience but its more to enjoy the story more then rushing through lvls.

Now heres whats interesting, I only lvl to the end lvl of the planet I am going to. So for instance

Balamora: 16-20- lvl to 20 then do the class story

Nar Shadda: 20-24- lvl to 24 then class story

etc, etc

This not only slows down lvling to the point, where your not bored near the end. But it also makes the class quest, much easier and your STILL getting XP from the class quest when you start it. Sometimes even, you could gain another lvl just by doing the class quest so your next lvling up won't take as long.

I am on my second character. I took armormech and am finding levelling to be an ongoing quest to find harvestable droids and resources so I can make armor for the next level (enough to RE into blue/purple). Along the way are a bunch of side quests that give some bonus xp and take me to places that will have more resources.

While I did most of the side quests the first time through, this time they take me a lot less time, although some of the bonus parts are still annoying the second time through. Taking armormech means I am always in good armor and can just take commendations as rewards (Which I have been turning into artifact boxes).

You can always do some space missions or PVP to make up for side quests you want to skip.

I expect the 4th or 5th time through, I will do a lot of PvP warzones instead of side quests.

Edited by sjmc

^ This, heres how I am doing it with my IA and what I did with my Trooper.

I level by just pvp/space combat dailies with the occasional FP thrown in if I am feeling up to it and companion convos. It takes some time, and I usually just stop after doing the dailies and then the next do it all over again....yes it takes time and requires patience but its more to enjoy the story more then rushing through lvls.

Now heres whats interesting, I only lvl to the end lvl of the planet I am going to. So for instance

Balamora: 16-20- lvl to 20 then do the class story

Nar Shadda: 20-24- lvl to 24 then class story

etc, etc

This not only slows down lvling to the point, where your not bored near the end. But it also makes the class quest, much easier and your STILL getting XP from the class quest when you start it. Sometimes even, you could gain another lvl just by doing the class quest so your next lvling up won't take as long.

^^ This

Leveling alts by doing class story quests ONLY and doing PvP/Space missions for the rest of your XP, is MUCH more fun than grinding out the quests on each planet.

Yes. And it could have been avoided, very easily.

Each Class (Not Advanced Class) gets their own set of Sub-Quests.

I can't believe they didn't do this, since a big part of this game is Alts.

But hey.. incompetence and all that.

Fixed that for ya, bro.

So then Voice-Acting holds the game back, and becomes a negative.

Add one more thing to the list.

As for time? Laughable. You know how long this game was in development? For a copy-paste WoW job?

As for time? Laughable. You know how long this game was in development? For a copy-paste WoW job?

I think you dribbled some all over your foot here Azumio. :p

Edited by Andryah

Yes. And it could have been avoided, very easily.

Each Class (Not Advanced Class) gets their own set of Sub-Quests.

I can't believe they didn't do this, since a big part of this game is Alts.

But hey.. incompetence and all that.

So all sub quests all different. Do you realize that the game never would have been released had they gone with this method.

Not to mention the cost to do separate side quest would have been 8 times more.

But hey... common sense and all that.

Every MMO I have played I level alts. It's part of the long game for me. So I don't get tired or bored by it in most MMOs and most certainly not in this one.

In fact I have found the alt leveling in this game to be the best I have ever experienced. Each main class has it's own story arc, which is very nice. It's easy to equip alts for leveling in this game as there is so much gear available either directly from the quests, or through GTN/crafting. The trick is to ramp up into the 30s with one character so that you unlock legacy, and have a character that can farm and generate income to support alts. You could go all the way to 50, but I have found low-mid 30s and I have an alt that can make a couple million credits without much trouble and that will give you enough credits for a whole family of alts. Then I stagger level alts so that I have them in different planets as they level, this avoids feelings of repetativeness to a good degree.

I do space bar through some of the side quests on alts, unless I remember them being interesting, or I want to take them in a different direction in terms of light/dark.

Edited by Andryah

Take shaft from arse and un**** yourself!

Read above, I already addressed this pathetic point.

Which makes you no less wrong!

I mean they said it was going to be a fully voiced MMO. Guess you missed the marketing campaign around that fact!

Well I guess they did use big words like STORY and FULLY VOICED. Yeah I guess I can see how that would be hard to understand!

Carry on!

To be totally honest, the easiest way to have avoided this would have been to just make it so your class quest can take you from 1-50 without ever needing to do side quests. I love the class quests and want to do them all, it's just that the side quests suck.

I hope with legacy we get some xp boosts, BOAS, or XP stims to make this path of leveling a reality.

To be totally honest, the easiest way to have avoided this would have been to just make it so your class quest can take you from 1-50 without ever needing to do side quests. I love the class quests and want to do them all, it's just that the side quests suck.

I hope with legacy we get some xp boosts, BOAS, or XP stims to make this path of leveling a reality.

There will be XP boosts to certain things so you can alternate level rather than doing all the side quests. They touched on it during the guild summit but never went into any details.

I think its boring because all classes can do exactly same things, the gameplay is disturbingly similar, just the story is slightly different.

In Vanguard i was an altaholic because of how different the classes played, it was always an entirely different experience.

Sadly the devs at Bioware thought they knew better than any other developer before them....with obvious results.

Arrogance was never a good counsellor.

Nerdrage at its finest.

Are you only leveling alts on the same faction?

because if you switch factions you'll get different sinde quests and world quests as well...

I'm not sure how leveling an alt in SW:TOR is any more boring than leveling an alt in WoW. For both games, you are basically doing the same leveling process again. This has not stopped raiders from rolling a new alt for end-game raiding, or people with altoholism from rolling new alts.

But at least in SW:TOR, you can have a different class story, and you get to hear your new character's smart or snarky comments. With the new Legacy system, it will make rolling alts more meaningful.

I especially like the Trooper's conversations. One time in a group, when we were face to face with an enemy where half of his face is horribly disfigured, the Trooper won the conversation roll and said "Why don't I match the other half of the face for you?" or something like that.

Seriously bad***** response.

Edited by ConradLionhart

I agree with PVP if that's your thing. Just keep your gear up to date.

Also to add to the quest conversation part: do a different alignment. Go dark side if you're used to light, etc... Makes for a different experience.

You might not be the only one, but that isn't a universal take.

I'm leveling my 8th character through Coruscant at the moment and I've enjoyed every one of them.

Tatooine used to bug me, until I realized I could just avoid Fowler and skip that entire mission chain without blocking up my mission log.

I even like going through Taris multiple times. I find the class story lines are enough to keep the rest of the quests interesting enough.

Tatooine used to bug me, until I realized I could just avoid Fowler and skip that entire mission chain without blocking up my mission log.
That is the most useful suggestion I've seen in some time.

You might not be the only one, but that isn't a universal take.

I'm leveling my 8th character through Coruscant at the moment and I've enjoyed every one of them.

I even like going through Taris multiple times. I find the class story lines are enough to keep the rest of the quests interesting enough.

I agree with this. I'm having loads of fun leveling alts. Usually I leave out entire quest hubs on planets, since I otherwise would overlevel with space combat and FPs, and grab those with the next character I make. There're some quests and questlines I probably will never skip on a character though. The ones aching to KotOR on Taris, for example - Endar Spire, Promised Land etc. The planet questlines are usually top notch aswell, so I try to do those with all characters.

Edit: And I've only created Republic characters so far. Saving Empire for later. Good times leveling alts.

Edited by Trenter

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.