The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Bioware is moving WAY too slowly

Makade

Rift just didn't release all of their content at release and pushed it all out over 4 or 5 patches. Now they are starting to have to develop from scratch and it shows. They are now putting out new content every 3 months which is still 3 months faster than WoW. As long as SWTOR releases new content in the 3-6 month time frame they are well within all other MMO's time frames.

The other big thing that I see constantly is how many people play rift. They have lost virtually 80% of their active subs from launch and the game is still turning a profit for them. SWTOR and WoW are the only two MMO's that have over 1 million subs in US/Europe with WoW quickly falling in the 3-4 million sub range. I always see the 10 million sub boast but look at Cataclysm sales and you can plainly see they don't have more than 3 million active players in the US/Europe. They just refuse to close dead servers because the game is all instanced now, no need to even have a community b/c you can play it by yourself. SWTOR isn't perfect but out of all the competition out there it is the only game worth my money.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Trion is not a small company. Rift was made for $50 million and was substantially smaller than SWTOR on release. Tatooine + Hoth + Belsavis >= Telara. Trion also just got $100 million from investors. This is not a small amount.

They also released with a complete set of basic features which people would expect from a modern MMO.

Rift just didn't release all of their content at release and pushed it all out over 4 or 5 patches. Now they are starting to have to develop from scratch and it shows. They are now putting out new content every 3 months which is still 3 months faster than WoW. As long as SWTOR releases new content in the 3-6 month time frame they are well within all other MMO's time frames.

The other big thing that I see constantly is how many people play rift. They have lost virtually 80% of their active subs from launch and the game is still turning a profit for them. SWTOR and WoW are the only two MMO's that have over 1 million subs in US/Europe with WoW quickly falling in the 3-4 million sub range. I always see the 10 million sub boast but look at Cataclysm sales and you can plainly see they don't have more than 3 million active players in the US/Europe. They just refuse to close dead servers because the game is all instanced now, no need to even have a community b/c you can play it by yourself. SWTOR isn't perfect but out of all the competition out there it is the only game worth my money.

I agree, right now SWTOR is certainly the most enjoyable MMO out there, looking for improvements that are needed, but I have canceled my other MMO subscriptions as they just aren’t as fun to play as SWTOR is.

So it's been three months since launch, and what has Bioware done? Bioware needs to take a long, hard look at Trion (the new bar for MMO devs), take a few notes, and get busy. I suspect there is too much celebrating going on in Austin for them to even recognize that their update schedule is laughable (the blind arrogance of this dev team regarding their "success" with this titanic is astounding). Players these days will not tolerate a so-so patch (made up of stuff that any crap F2P MMO has at launch) every 4 months. Bioware needs to wake up, get some humility, and get to work. I wish I would have listened to EA Louse.

You still can you know? Quit and move on with your life?

Edited by Claymaniac

Please elaborate.

Please observe the obvious. You are talking about a game that launched without a guild bank or even a way to import keybindings.

And a LFG system where the window is so small it truncates your LFG comment after the first few characters rendering it useless. Assuming anyone used it in the first place.

Edited by savagepotato

So it's been three months since launch, and what has Bioware done? Bioware needs to take a long, hard look at Trion (the new bar for MMO devs), take a few notes, and get busy. I suspect there is too much celebrating going on in Austin for them to even recognize that their update schedule is laughable (the blind arrogance of this dev team regarding their "success" with this titanic is astounding). Players these days will not tolerate a so-so patch (made up of stuff that any crap F2P MMO has at launch) every 4 months. Bioware needs to wake up, get some humility, and get to work. I wish I would have listened to EA Louse.

The fact that you are here instead of Rift makes me not believe anything you say. If XYZ were really doing things right then people would be playing XYZ's game and not here posting how Bioware and SWTOR should be following XYZ.

Agree. And everyone who disagrees have not played Rift so they don't know the awesomeness the Trion developers are.

The patches that have been released are so small I feel as though there hasn't been a single update in this game.

If its so awsome why are you here again? Ooh right because its not all that awsome. Bioware patches every week. Just because the patches aren't in the magical format you think works doesn't mean they're not doing something and producing something. Rift has the benefit of what from all those patches? Not much..just more patches to fix those patches and little time to test them.

You know what's funny? Every time I hear someone bring up Rift and their patches they only talk about the major content updates. Like your 1.4, 1.5, 1.6, ect. ect. Never do I see them list a patch like a 1.5.1 or a 1.6.1. You know those patches that Bioware is currently doing to the 1.1 content patch. So for our viewing pleasure. Rifts 1.6.1 patch!

RIFT 1.6.1 Hotfix #5 - 8:00am PDT 12/28/11 [NA] - 2:00am GMT 29/12/11 [EU]

GENERAL

* PvP Achievements: Behind Enemy Lines can now be completed by closing any rift in Silverwood / Gloamwood for Defiants, and Freemarch / Stonefield for Guardians.

* While on the quest ‘Unworking the Ritual’ any air rift that grants experience should drop air sourcestone when closed

* Instant Adventure Daily quests should now be listed under “Meridian” or “Sanctum” in your quest log

* Level 50 players completing Instant Adventure Daily quests will now get more XP

* Recipes that are loot drops from monsters, dungeons, or rifts should no longer be BoP

ZONES

* Hammerknell: The general population of Hammerknell will drop items more frequently.

* Hammerknell: Darktide Mists should no longer reset aggro while engaged in combat

DUNGEONS

* Players completing Expert 1 Dungeon Dailies now have a choice of reward, either 6 Plaques of Achievement or 2 Marks of Ascension

* Players completing Expert 2 Dungeon Dailies now have a choice of reward, either 6 Plaques of Achievement, 2 Marks of Ascension, or 1 Greater Mark of Ascension

9 Whole things fixed!!! OMG such an amazing patch!

See this is what gets me when people talk about patches. They seem to forget the difference between a Major Content Patch, aka 1.(insert number here) and a Incremental Hotfix Patch. aka you 1.(Random Number).(Random Number)

That's a hotfix? that's a .1 patch? holy **** look at those changes. This is a BW .1 patch "Fixed an issue that caused "certain boss" to respawn". I have seen BW hotfix 2 things at most.

You know what's funny? Every time I hear someone bring up Rift and their patches they only talk about the major content updates. Like your 1.4, 1.5, 1.6, ect. ect. Never do I see them list a patch like a 1.5.1 or a 1.6.1. You know those patches that Bioware is currently doing to the 1.1 content patch. So for our viewing pleasure. Rifts 1.6.1 patch!

RIFT 1.6.1 Hotfix #5 - 8:00am PDT 12/28/11 [NA] - 2:00am GMT 29/12/11 [EU]

GENERAL

* PvP Achievements: Behind Enemy Lines can now be completed by closing any rift in Silverwood / Gloamwood for Defiants, and Freemarch / Stonefield for Guardians.

* While on the quest ‘Unworking the Ritual’ any air rift that grants experience should drop air sourcestone when closed

* Instant Adventure Daily quests should now be listed under “Meridian” or “Sanctum” in your quest log

* Level 50 players completing Instant Adventure Daily quests will now get more XP

* Recipes that are loot drops from monsters, dungeons, or rifts should no longer be BoP

ZONES

* Hammerknell: The general population of Hammerknell will drop items more frequently.

* Hammerknell: Darktide Mists should no longer reset aggro while engaged in combat

DUNGEONS

* Players completing Expert 1 Dungeon Dailies now have a choice of reward, either 6 Plaques of Achievement or 2 Marks of Ascension

* Players completing Expert 2 Dungeon Dailies now have a choice of reward, either 6 Plaques of Achievement, 2 Marks of Ascension, or 1 Greater Mark of Ascension

9 Whole things fixed!!! OMG such an amazing patch!

See this is what gets me when people talk about patches. They seem to forget the difference between a Major Content Patch, aka 1.(insert number here) and a Incremental Hotfix Patch. aka you 1.(Random Number).(Random Number)

This is true statement, but for records sake Rift launched with a full featured MMO. things that Bioware are trying to patch in 4 months out from launch were in rift in the first beta weekend.

Lets make no bones about it even fansites that followed this game and spit out pod casts for the hardcore followers of the devolpment are calling Bioware out on things they vehemently deny like engine problems and the like. There are major problems with TOR, even at the guild summit 90% of the people in attendance when asked why they thought bioware was holding the summit. responded because the game is bleeding subscriptions at a massive rate. Fanbois can put their hands over there ears and sing LALALALALA all day long but bioware needs to right this ship realtively quick if they expect to stay competetive and profitable in 2012.

If its so awsome why are you here again? Ooh right because its not all that awsome. Bioware patches every week. Just because the patches aren't in the magical format you think works doesn't mean they're not doing something and producing something. Rift has the benefit of what from all those patches? Not much..just more patches to fix those patches and little time to test them.

Ive actually resubscribbed to rift and there are a massive influx of resubb threads in their forums. with that said rift is stable it wont see massive groth are a flood of resubs until they launch a full scale expansion. TOR on the other hand is nearing the razors edge and has a massive gap to get this game feeling like a true MMO not a single player lobby game with online features.

People need to go to the WoW boards, Rift boards and see how nicer those communities are then the SWTOR boards. The communities are really bustling now, seems all the haters left to play SWTOR and they can't get along

... Wait you just said the wow community forums are friendly?! rofl Now I know some of you all are full of it. Sorry maybe our reading the we're super happy friends boards but their boards are at times even worse then the boards here. Its the nature of forum boards. All the haters show up to hate and the fans show up to hate the haters. People stuck at work look for any interesting news or tips from players that aren't disgruntled or living in space.

People need to go to the WoW boards, Rift boards and see how nicer those communities are then the SWTOR boards. The communities are really bustling now, seems all the haters left to play SWTOR and they can't get along

Wait WHAT?? :eek:

Have you ever been to the WoW boards?? Now THAT is the biggest hive of scum and villainy I've ever seen!! Not a single person on the WoW boards has anything useful or nice to say, the vast majority are whiners, every day there is a new WoW-killer thread...the list goes on and on. And don't even get me started on the in-game chat channels!!!

Please observe the obvious. You are talking about a game that launched without a guild bank or even a way to import keybindings.

And a LFG system where the window is so small it truncates your LFG comment after the first few characters rendering it useless. Assuming anyone used it in the first place.

Fun fact: Rift did not launch with guild banks or a dungeon finder.

You got me with the keybindings, though. Good one?

Patch 1.2 is pretty much going to be what the game should have been at the start.

With that in mind, BIOWARE have lost their way.

Waiting 4 months to get basic features like a guild bank is not a good launch schedule.

LFG and cross realm PVP will following some time after (after 1.2 before 1.3), so that will probably be 6 to 7 months after launch.

It's a really bad release schedule, if the new content and fixes had been rolled out quickly the botched start could have been forgiven. The reality is we're probably looking at 8-9 months to get everything fixed and working based on the current schedule.

Though cool features, they are by no means necessary for a game when it launches; they are subjective items, at best. I hope this vendetta you have against SW:TOR isn't because it didn't launch with a guild bank and a (good) LFG tool, items that will be forthcoming?

Patch 1.2 is pretty much going to be what the game should have been at the start.

With that in mind, BIOWARE have lost their way.

Waiting 4 months to get basic features like a guild bank is not a good launch schedule.

LFG and cross realm PVP will following some time after (after 1.2 before 1.3), so that will probably be 6 to 7 months after launch.

It's a really bad release schedule, if the new content and fixes had been rolled out quickly the botched start could have been forgiven. The reality is we're probably looking at 8-9 months to get everything fixed and working based on the current schedule.

Ugh.

/morechar!

Edited by Jederix

Posting in thread full of self entitled complainers. Basically if you are not a game designer, you have no leg to stand on in this arguement. Play the game and enjoy it for what it is or pack your crap and get out! Edited by Trucked

Posting in thread full of self entitled complainers. Basically if you are not a game designer, you have no leg to stand on in this arguement. Play the game and enjoy it for what it is or pack your crap and get out!

/shakes head

Why such hostility toward folks that may not like the game in its current state? No one is forcing you to come to the forums, and certainly not hang with the General Forum crowd. Your attitude is so short sighted, imo.

/shakes head

Why such hostility toward folks that may not like the game in its current state? No one is forcing you to come to the forums, and certainly not hang with the General Forum crowd. Your attitude is so short sighted, imo.

^^

This.

The forums are here for everyones use, for the good things, the bad things and the downright ugly things.

It's the players opportunity to speak to the developers, make suggestions and yes even make complaints.

It's BIOWARE's official forums, we as subscribers have the right to come up here and moan at BIOWARE if we want.

If you don't like what's being said, don't waste your time reading the thread, don't waste your time commenting.

Take your own advice, go outside and enjoy this sunshine...

But don't troll the complaints threads, we have every right to complain if there are aspects of the game we don't like.

/shakes head

No, General forums are for discussing the game. Not a festering pool of negativity for people that want every single game/patch catered to them. Bioware made a game that came out 3 months yet everyone wants to content of a 5 year old game. Get over it and play the game or unsub and stop complaining.

No, General forums are for discussing the game. Not a festering pool of negativity for people that want every single game/patch catered to them. Bioware made a game that came out 3 months yet everyone wants to content of a 5 year old game. Get over it and play the game or unsub and stop complaining.

We are discussing the game, we just happen to be discussing the things we don't like in the game.

Leave the thread if you don't agree, but don't waste your life trolling.