Upgraded my CPU and am very pleased

mhuntly

Good thing I'm getting a 3930k. AMD sucks.

AMD is great, lol.

ive been running an unlocked and overclocked AMD processor for 2 years without a single issue out of it.

if something in the equation sucks, its most likely between the keyboard and chair.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes it's true. I have a 120mhz monitor btw.

That is what screen tearing is. Your GPU trying to push more frames than your monitor can handle. That's why I always find it hilarious when people claim to have 100+ fps when I am fairly sure most people don't have the monitor to support it.

that means they are using either fraps or the ingame fps counter. nothing more.

their pcs are rendering 100 plus fps, but their monitor is only showing 60. so yes they are getting 100 plus, but they are not benefiting from it because of the monitor bottleneck.

that means they are using either fraps or the ingame fps counter. nothing more.

their pcs are rendering 100 plus fps, but their monitor is only showing 60. so yes they are getting 100 plus, but they are not benefiting from it because of the monitor bottleneck.

that's exactly what I said in my first post. Do people even read things?

Yes it's true. I have a 120mhz monitor btw.

That is what screen tearing is. Your GPU trying to push more frames than your monitor can handle. That's why I always find it hilarious when people claim to have 100+ fps when I am fairly sure most people don't have the monitor to support it.

Screen tearing is actually when you force the video card to draw the top half at the same time as the second, which is drawn after. Hence you prevent screen tearing with Vsync. Just explaining how it works more detailed.

The game can still run higher fps, but the eye won't see it as those frames are displayed when the monitor flickers black.

And to the OP; please FRAPS a 24v24 in Ilum where you run 40fps lol. I'd like to see how you can get ~30 more frames than me with a 5970 and an i7 920@4.0ghz :)

they make 120hz monitors.

even 240 hz.

the reality is we have been trained to view things at lower refresh rates and screens with refresh rates that high will look unnaturally perfect to the average person and can cause them to think it looks funny, or to just not like it and not really know why.

Edited by -Fritz-

Screen tearing is actually when you force the video card to draw the top half at the same time as the second, which is drawn after. Hence you prevent screen tearing with Vsync. Just explaining how it works more detailed.

The game can still run higher fps, but the eye won't see it as those frames are displayed when the monitor flickers black.

And to the OP; please FRAPS a 24v24 in Ilum where you run 40fps lol. I'd like to see how you can get ~30 more frames than me with a 5970 and an i7 920@4.0ghz :)

he probably is like the other guy that said he was getting good performance on ilum in this thread.

didnt feel like it. :rolleyes:

I'm running SWTOR on:

2500k OC @ 4200

Matrix Platinum 580

8gb RAM

Crucial m4 SSD 128GB

Understandably, I haven't had a single issue with this game; running everything on full.

Overkill at it's best right there.

I had a 2.2GHz amd phenom x4 and upgraded to a i5 2500k. The i5 rofl stomps this game. I also have an msi 560ti twinfrozer2/oc. I have all graphics settings maxed out besides aa is on low and get 100+ fps besides in illums major battles I bog down to about 40fps which is completely payable. That is due to the servers not the "bad code".

LoL. Did bioware employee new agents around these forums to make false claims about their crappy engine

Major battles you get 40+ fps? ROFL.. the lying on your part is sad.

Ever think why they are killing ilum slowly and making daily's be completed in warzones? Because they cannot fix their engine so they decided to make ilum irrelevant.

"Look I upgraded my CPU and now my game runs perfect!"

Keep these threads up and Bioware may even think the game works flawlessly. Good for you if it works fine, the game still runs horribly on many systems.

"Look I upgraded my CPU and now my game runs perfect!"

Keep these threads up and Bioware may even think the game works flawlessly. Good for you if it works fine, the game still runs horribly on many systems.

while this may be true... at this point in time i would have to side with the people who are going to tell you "go buy a new computer".

the reason being that my computer is now 2 years old. by computer standards that means its outdated.

i still have a 3.2ghz quad core, 8 gigs ram, dual 1gig vid cards... and can run this game with everything set to high without any lag.

When you upgrade you'll notice the game looks alot better than 8 years old

"Upgrade" haha

My rig runs BF3 64 people battles, exploding buildings and way more intense graphics at 90 fps, while it runs SWTOR 16 player battles at 20. Most definetly bad coding.

I am also very pleased i am using an i7 2700k oc'd to 4.5 ghz. on a asus p8p67 pro rev 3.1

I am playing on a radeon 6950 1 gb i dont notice any slowdown really, but i dont really play on ilum so that would be something i would have to test out. I have everything on max settings including AA.

You can only look at your FPS with an external program for this game right? There is no in game fps meter unless i am mistaken.

Regardless even with 200 people on imperial fleet i notice 0 slowdown (sure some may be there but it is not evident to my eyes)

My system is similar, 2600k at 4.3GHz on the same mobo but with a pair of 6870s.

I generally only play with one of my cards and have no issues on max settings at 1920x1200 but during operations I'm finding that I have to switch on crossfire to keep my framerate over 30fps- for some reason Bonethrasher in Karagga's Palace eats my FPS like a fat kid at a buffet.

Just to chime in with a little hardware information.

One of the biggest issues I have found in my testing is the system bus speed.

On older PC's, non i series and the couple year old AMD's, the system bus speed, the path data takes to get to and from the video card, memory, and the CPU, is slower and a bottleneck. Even with the fastest card installed, if you have a slower bus, the video card can not get the data fast enough to process. Install that fast card in a PC with a faster bus, and it will perform much better.

So for some computers even only a year old, look at the system bus speed. Even some new computers have a slower bus than others.

As an example, I can take a top rated card and install it in a computer with a slower bus. Even though the MB is rated to support the card, it wont perform as well as a mid rated card in a computer with a faster bus.

Here are a couple good references:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/bus-speed-guide,49.html

Video Card Benchmarks: High end is where you will find the 560

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/

CPU Benchmarks: High end is where you will find most current chips.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/

Just more info to help educate!

so would upgrading my cpu help with horrible fps in ilum?

i am not computer savvy in the least.

don't have much issue elsewhere on the game, except fleet sometimes gets a bit chuggy when population passes 180 or so. when i go to 2x ops in ilum i put everything on low, and it's still like freeze frame lag-o-matic.

let's see

pentium dual core E5200 2.50 ghz

8gb ram

windows 7 64

nvidia 560 1gb

motherboard is about as old as the cpu, so not even sure how much i could upgrade that?

gigabyte ep45-ud3r

if i should ask this elsewhere, just direct me, or more info etc.

Welp I have done ALL the configurations that are supposed to help with the performance.

Nothing has made a DENT in the Frame rate or performance.

At ilum I can FORGET about PVPing with ANY sort of worth.

I am going anywhere from the 20's to mid 30's on fps and this is without a battle even in progress. (At the time of all my testing nobody was even logged on to fight it was so late.)

My FPS at the imperial fleet were 40's-70's at best with an empty fleet late at about 3AM.

I am VERY both confused and pissed off given I have a GTX 560 with 2GB Ram.

I know its not the ti but it should not be performing less than HALF as good as some people are saying their's are on this thread.

Here is my setup:

HPE-112y HP computer

AMD Phenom II x 4 925 at 2.8Ghz

8 GB DDR3 SDRAM

I have been considering a new computer as I said before so I might just pick now to do it.

I know jack though about building a gaming PC.

You're computer is not too dissimilar to mine.

AMD Phenom IIx4 965 - 3.4Ghz

8gb DDR3 1300

AMD Radeon 6870 1gb ram (very similar specs to your GTX 560)

http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php?card1=635&card2=657

I sit at about 60 to 80 fps at fleet (prime time). Usually higher in the game environment. Alot have complained about gets some lag spikes but you're saying it's constant 20-30's in PVP? I'd be interested to know how hard your computer is working. While playing my processor is ~50% and GPU is ~65% on average. I'm going to check my numbers again in PVP just to see how it compares.

Not that I'm an expert at this stuff but with such a similar setup I don't seem to have your issues.

Well since my monitor is a 60hz looks like i will be upgrading it along with the PC.

Can anyone tell me if this monitor is a TRUE 120hz monitor and if it seems to be a good one?

27" ASUS VG Series VG278H Black 2ms HDMI Widescreen LED Backlight LCD 3D 120Hz Monitor 300 cd/m2 ASCR 50,000,000:1 w/ 3D Glasses & Speakers

http://www.excaliberpc.com/610699/asus-vg278h-27-3d-ready-led.html#TabSpecification

Review seems good....

http://alatest.com/topbar/41565549/-1/?ref=http%3A%2F%2Falatest.com%2Freviews%2Fmonitor-reviews%2Fasus-vg278h%2Fpo3-155364129%2C29%2F

Is that with OC'ing your 2500k?

I am also very pleased i am using an i7 2700k oc'd to 4.5 ghz.

You don't need to OC an i5 for this game.

I run my i5 Lynnfield stock at 2.8GHz and it runs this game smooth as silk.

i also have a phenom , and altough it runs very playable to me , i need an upgrade soon....

i was thinking one of those new bulldozer amds , i hate intels (amazing proccessors i just simply refuse to pay their overpriced **** cuz they feel like manipulating the market)

so would upgrading my cpu help with horrible fps in ilum?

i am not computer savvy in the least.

don't have much issue elsewhere on the game, except fleet sometimes gets a bit chuggy when population passes 180 or so. when i go to 2x ops in ilum i put everything on low, and it's still like freeze frame lag-o-matic.

let's see

pentium dual core E5200 2.50 ghz

8gb ram

windows 7 64

nvidia 560 1gb

motherboard is about as old as the cpu, so not even sure how much i could upgrade that?

gigabyte ep45-ud3r

if i should ask this elsewhere, just direct me, or more info etc.

ram is cheap nowadays, and since you are probably gonna have to get a new mobo for a new cpu, i say chek out the bundles on tigerdirect.com and such sites, and buy a good new cpu , either I series from intel , or one of the new fx bulldozer cpus from amd

heck youl end up with faster memory too since most mobos are using ddr3 memory now

I had a 2.2GHz amd phenom x4 and upgraded to a i5 2500k. The i5 rofl stomps this game. I also have an msi 560ti twinfrozer2/oc. I have all graphics settings maxed out besides aa is on low and get 100+ fps besides in illums major battles I bog down to about 40fps which is completely payable. That is due to the servers not the "bad code".

http://alltheragefaces.com/img/faces/large/misc-you-dont-say-l.png

my AMD 3.4GHz quad core plays this game just fine. It does have the Sabertooth 990fx mobo backing it up with 16gigs of ram and a GTX 560 superclocked edition though. Everything is on high. but I did turn AA off. I just don't see the need for it.