Australian server transfer in LATE April!

melsione

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is true. people, don't chill, just continue on your line of thought until reason or something else takes over.

Or maybe you should sit back and take the time to realize why people are rightfully angry about this matter? Alternatively read the thread since that works too. Two months is a rather long period of time in MMO time, some people want to play with their friends without needing to drop their main character that they've dumped quite a few hours in, it's as simple as that.

I had no intention of transferring my characters anyway, so I'm not really effected by the two month delay. However, I feel for you who were going to transfer, I honestly do.

But someone pointed out something in game that I feel needs to be said. Two points -

1) New Australians (and other Asia Pacific players) are just starting off today on our shiny new servers. They haven't had the benefit of three months (around about) of play time, they don't have the same credit balances on their characters and probably won't for a week or two yet.

2) A bunch of 50s all descending on the new servers will seriously throw out the economy and most likely lock new players out (at least for the time being).

I hope this helps puts things into perspective. Granted, two months is STILL a bit of a stretch, and there's the potential problem of people loosing out on legacy names which really should be addressed. I hope Bioware will say something about that soon.

Edited by Zandilar

IIRC, WoW didn't launch in Europe for three to four months after release in North America.

True, but Blizzard have greatly improved since then. I also dont see what BioWare are prepared to make the same mistake.

Where is BioWare in all this anyway, they're happy to redirect all the other threads here, but aren't able to offer any explanation for this.

IIRC, WoW didn't launch in Europe for three to four months after release in North America.

True, but Blizzard have greatly improved since then. I also dont see what BioWare are prepared to make the same mistake.

I agree but they did over time. That very point is the primary reason people are saying "be patient" or "chill out". Give them time to sort out their business the same way the giant on the block did, too.

Growing pains are a part of MMOs.

I believe they planned this. The character transfer information was deliberately vague from the start.

Why else do you think they were not releasing any information so that guilds could plan which server and which characters to transfer etc? Because they never intended on allowing transfers so soon.

I believe this is a misguided attempt at allowing new players who didn't import the game to "catch up" and have everyone playing on a relatively level playing field. I also think this is a cash grab, an attempt to convince customers to keep their subscription and thus their eligibility for transfer until April.

I think Bioware need to learn from Valve. Honesty, communication, respect for your customers and some common sense in decisions being made and I think it would go a long way to building trust back up with their community.

This is a me too post.

I am generally silent in my criticism, directing it to where it can be of use via bug reports.

But seriously, APRIL!!!

Why? Why deliberately set out to annoy players who have already demonstrated their commitment to both the game and Bioware?

This is nothing short of a breach of trust.

Please rethink this and allow transfers from day 1 for Aussie (and other regional) players.

I believe they planned this. The character transfer information was deliberately vague from the start.

Why else do you think they were not releasing any information so that guilds could plan which server and which characters to transfer etc? Because they never intended on allowing transfers so soon.

I believe this is a misguided attempt at allowing new players who didn't import the game to "catch up" and have everyone playing on a relatively level playing field. I also think this is a cash grab, an attempt to convince customers to keep their subscription and thus their eligibility for transfer until April.

I think Bioware need to learn from Valve. Honesty, communication, respect for your customers and some common sense in decisions being made and I think it would go a long way to building trust back up with their community.

I think that's also part of why so many people are overreacting here, it's the fact that Bioware didn't take steps to inform their player base about this immediately and it had to be found by digging through a FAQ. People don't like being misled and it gives them such a bad image.

I would personally be happy to pay for my transfer if I could get it sooner. Also if they are worried about it not being fair for new players with a bunch of level 50's on the server than they should have released it here back in December, or alternativly they could open a server dedicated to transfering characters.

Or maybe you should sit back and take the time to realize why people are rightfully angry about this matter? Alternatively read the thread since that works too. Two months is a rather long period of time in MMO time, some people want to play with their friends without needing to drop their main character that they've dumped quite a few hours in, it's as simple as that.

I take your point, but i am one of those people that have played since Christmas and invested plenty of time.

As for playing with friends, a character transfer means that while they play with their friends and experience a whole new story line (possibly). THey have a cashed up, geared up level 50 great uncle or aunty that doles out credits, and mats to everyone. And when they go to play their level 50, they won't be playing with their friends will they?

Ultimately, we can;t have everything our way. I will be starting a new character to play with friends who got the game a week ago and rolled on my server and now suggest we swap to an oceanic server. They are 30+ levels behind me and other than me sending credits, we have little to no interaction at all outside of guild chat.

So with any luck by the time the end of April comes round, I can drag my original character over and have two characters at max level. So if anything this benefits us....and finally gives us a chance at better lag than what we enjoyed in WoW.

I appreciate people's feelings on this, but the anger isn't going to change a whole lot.

This is completely unacceptable. I've got a handful of 15-40 level characters, so i have two options. Wait two months, by which time i'll have leveled even more with the lag and the bad time schedule.

OR, i make all new characters and level all the way up like i did in the last month, which means doing everything all over again, all the same quests i JUST did... uuugh

I was expecting transfers by about the 5th of march, or maybe the 15th or something not TWO months..

I have a few people i know who are going to start soon, do i suggest they roll on the new servers, where i can't (or won't remark whole new characters), or do i suggest they roll on the server i am on, so we can transfer together later?

Really disappointed.. really..

I feel bad the date got pushed back for some aussies, but in the same regards you jumped your server launch and then expected to get a free transfer from it so I don't. Well atleast that US player who spammed like 2-3 threads a day that his aussies guild was goign to transfer and he would be left behind will be happy, I would blame him.

For a Singaporean player, we actually seem to have higher ping to the AP servers than the US servers. This means that.... EA has not just limited us to the US servers due to ping, they are, or will be (in 2 months time), taking the Aus players away from us.

Great, now there's even less players to play with.

All I've read in this thread is...

"wah wah wah... a very new MMO that's incredibly polished for such a new contender hasn't got character transfers sorted in the first 6 months... wah wah wah"

Seriously... people... remember it's taken WoW 8 years to get where it is... remember how long new content took, let alone character transfers.... and even now they still don't have Australian servers.

Seriously.... cry more! :rolleyes:

'Smooth' launches are only for US customers.

Remember that being Australian you're in the future anyway, so your dissatisfaction hasn't even happened yet.

Best line lol, I played FFXI with a good deal of Australians, but I blame your server xfer being broken on the op from this thread:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=3167386#post3167386

2 months is overkill, had some friends on a different server I was going to link up with. They are on their 1st character & i'm on my 3rd. Was hoping to be able to finally run some of the higher level flashpoints but now that ideas dead & burried. We'll all be 50 within 2 months

BW 2 months is a bit extreme, worst part is you built up our expectation and have now dashed it against the rocks. That breeds resentment