Australian server transfer in LATE April!

melsione

Biowares statements to all Asia / Pacific users:

"First of all welcome to the red zone.

1. You are excluded from launch.

2. If you ordered at launch anyway despite our exclusions you will get a transfer to Asia/Pacific when we launch in that region.

3. Oh, except if you didnt register as being in the red zone when you registered.

4. Actually...those transfers....they'll be two months after the server opens.

Enjoy TOR."

Good work guys.

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they are not ready for the data migration yet then they are not ready. It's quite a lot of data to be transferred quests etc. I don't know the extent needed for migration but I assume it is not trivial otherwise they would let you do it right away so as not to piss you off. Stands to reason.

So they are not ready.. assuming they are hard at it doing other bits and pieces but they expect to have transferred ready by april (nothing worse then transferring you and mucking up your charcater) I think that would be an even worse situation.

SO you have to wait until april. sucks I know but in the meantime you can carry on as you are and get a free transfer to local servers when it happens which you have been told is estimated in april.. much better then being told that you have to pay for it or that it not feasible to transfer form one server cluster to another.. (WoW for istance you cannot transfer from EU server to US servers)

When Lotro transferred UK customer base to US servers we didn't have access to our charcaters for about a week or more and there were plenty of errors with the transfer process.

A mass data migration like this has to be done right.. just calm down and wait.. better to wait a bit then for the whole process to go wrong.

Edited by corbanite

perhaps they are having issues with getting server transfers to work properly?

stop crying and just be patient, they are not trying to intentionally disappoint there fans...

it would be funny if they let you transfer and your character ended up on the other server naked because inpatient morons cried to bioware to let them transfer before they fixed the bugs with server transfers...

seriously chill out 2 months is not that long

It's called keeping your sub for another two month so it looks good on paper.

Boom! nail on the head... They're all terrified of how bad the sub numbers will look very soon, so theyre grasping at straws to try and keep people for another xx amount of time... Just fighting the inevitable though...

Basically this, a joke really, I'm an apologist and have been excusing several, shall we say less than intelligent sometimes baffling choices and designs because I want the game to succeed. This 2 month delay however is the straw which broke the camel's back. I really don't know how they could dropped the ball worse, the original poster described the problems fairly well so I won't elaborate and keep this succinct.

These two months will lose a lot of players from Oceania, likely myself included. There was a lot of talk on various forums including whirlpool on whether or not to transfer as there may not be enough population to support the servers and I can more or less guarantee, there won't be in the medium to long term. Some people will be willing re-roll new toons, others won't thus splitting the oceanic population which will devastate the community and lead to more people quitting, why bother if you can't play with half your friends when they're on another server and you didn't have the time/willpower to level another character. Hell a lot of people are going to leave simply due to the outrage, the proverbial straw that broke the camels back.

I really cannot understand how this could go so badly, is it poor planning, whatever team was doing the transfers not letting the release team know that they won't be able to sort out transfers at a later date? Or just money grubbing hoping to cash in on a few more box sales from the Asia Pacific region (newsflash, people have been buying the game since the US release online, there aint much more of the market to tap, especially with the people quitting impressing that SWTOR is a poor game to potential buyers).

So congrats, you've failed the existing Oceanic population and you will in most likelyhood fail to attract new customers, especially from AU/NZ considering the community backlash over this and the splitting of users between US and AU servers.

I will eat my hat if we get more than a mere acknowledgement of this causing problems for people, to hell with it.

gg

Edited by BigJaffaCakes

yea just recently (what yesterday) i was in the days after launch ... now its two months away ... great jpb PPL didnt drop the ball there pretty much threw the thing away ...

so much for playing toons with friens who i've talked up this game too ...

should have known it would be ....

Edited by dupela

the server WILL NOT LAST AT ALL if they dont let the currently playing oceanic folks transfer within a couple of weeks. that is a FACT.

Yeah, honestly, I'd love to know the actual number of legitimately new Aussie customers, I'm willing to bet it'd be a laughably low figure incapable of populating these existing three servers to anything more than "Light" during peak times. The vast majority of us have 50s, bottom line. This is a slap in the face.

stop crying and just be patient, they are not trying to intentionally disappoint there fans...

Expectation management is hard.

At least that's what I hear.

The community wouldnt be crying if they hadn't build up an expectation of when transfers would happen, which has been repeatedly stated by Bioware as happening very close after the server launch.

If they are not ready for the data migration yet then they are not ready.

This is not news to BW mate, this has been a selling point since day dot. They have had AGES to work out and in fact design their software in such a way that it would support transfers.

Transfers is nowhere near a new idea in the MMO world, so I see NO excuse.

Coming out now with a 2 month waiting period for transfers is NOT reasonable, not even by a long shot.

The chance to play my level 50 character on a world with 40-50 ping was the one thing i was still clinging on to. I was REALLY looking forward to doing so, but this has completely burst my bubble.

You probably won't have my subscription til the end of the year, if transfers were March 1st you would've had it all year.

Stupid move Bioware, really.

I know what they doing.

You see right now if you look at the servers they already almost going to get to capicity, there are only 1 of each type of server available. They don't want to make the mistake of releasing loads of servers then some get left as ghost towns. When you buy the game you get 30 days game time. Now some of them may/may not stay on for longer after that period.

Therefore during that 2nd month sub numbers will go down, Thus allowing you guys to migrate to the new realms to fill in on the missing numbers.

Sneaky *********** but well played Bioware well played.

The chance to play my level 50 character on a world with 40-50 ping was the one thing i was still clinging on to. I was REALLY looking forward to doing so, but this has completely burst my bubble.

You probably won't have my subscription til the end of the year, if transfers were March 1st you would've had it all year.

Stupid move Bioware, really.

Yup. My play time runs out in 23 days. If BW wakes up before then and allows toons to be transferred before then, my sub will be reinstated.

Otherwise, there is just no reason to continue anymore in the face of this latest round of utter BS being fed by the EA/BW blob.

Seriously, chill out. Notice that you have been playing the game BEFORE it was released in Australia??? I could be wrong, but for the majority of Australian players, at least, the game had to be imported. Therefore our access to the game is more of a privilege (that we agree to pay for, no one has forced us) and than a right.

If I recall correctly, server transfers in WoW weren't available first up, and they dind;t even bother to have servers in Oz, they just labelled some servers oceanic.

as for the population issue, there would be a bunch of people who didn't get the game and wanted to wait for Australian release and servers. They are unimpacted by this development.

not to mention that possibly the transfer of gear etc hasn't been refined enough to make it viable to offer it, without getting a flood of 'BW stole my gear'etc etc

have fun in the verse people!