Australian server transfer in LATE April!

melsione

they probably didn't put phasing in because of all the QQ on the forums about not seeing anyone.. personally I liked the phasing. Ah the hate was fierce over that one.

Indeed. You do it one way and they complain bitterly. You do it the other and they...wait for it...complain bitterly.

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, if there was a poll, I bet this would win, since odds are the vast majority of Aussies/Kiwis interested in the game already own it, and this delay would just mean two more months of crappy ping times, instead of having to start over or end up possibly losing your character/legacy/guild names.

Based on absolutely nothing but my own opinions, I will disagree. I understand some people are unhappy about this... but I am willing to bet there is not some vast majority of Aussies/Kiwis that you have been elected due representative of.

A free transfer in just a few months is just that, a free transfer. People can choose to stay on their current servers if they wish. Or they can make alts on the new server and keep working on their main till the transfer. I just don't see how this is something deserving of forumrage.

Sooooo...people are complaining that the servers are too packed with the rush of new players to get anything done and simultaneously complaining that they can't transfer their lvl 50 over to it, thus increasing the population density, just so they can use their level 50 to help power level their buddies to 50. Mmmmm...ok...got it. Roll a new toon and wait 2 months. Clearly, if the population density on the new servers is packed and making it hard to get anything done, then BW needs time for those new servers to stabilize, both in terms of hardware and population, before opening the door. Besides, what are you going to do with a lvl 50 in a population where everyone is just trying to slog their way thru their story to level 50? Oh yeah, help them powerlevel...so there's fairness issues involved too. Suprise suprise. It would be entirely different helping people powerlevel if there was already a population of 50s, but the servers are just opening and everyone is going to be low level...why should your buddy have an advantage?

Nothing is really stopping you from rolling a new toon and leveling it with your buddies, then dragging your level 50 over to the new server in a few weeks and having both. After all, being the lone few 50s on an entire server right now doesn't exactly sound stimulating...Ilum will be empty, PvP queues will be ridiculously long or won't even poop and there will be essentially nobody to do HMs and Ops with...so tell us, why should your buddies have a faceroll good time levling with a lvl 50 to powerlevel them while everyone else jumps through the hoops the normal way on a server that is just starting out?

If you expected to be able to transfer instantly, you had unrealistic expectations...very unrealistic, and your disappointment is your own fault.

I think you missed the main concern players have. It is not wanting to power-level there buddies, but the risk of losing Character and Legacy names due to transfers now occuring 2 months after the servers go live. I can't speak for everyone, but that is one of my main concern regarding the issue.

I think you missed the main concern players have. It is not wanting to power-level there buddies, but the risk of losing Character and Legacy names due to transfers now occuring 2 months after the servers go live. I can't speak for everyone, but that is one of my main concern regarding the issue.

Create an alt on the server to placeholder your name.

The legacy issue is a problem, but that is a problem we are all facing with server transfers. Who knows how it will work, so why rage out about it based on assumptions?

Maybe they will open up a new server when it is time to transfer to contain the new transferees.. DOes this solve the problem?

If it does then ask for this.

In fact this is a great solution and saves all the coding they have to do making sure about duplicates etc as well as not pissing off their customers

or just let this solution slip to the bottom and continue to complain and maybe it will get ignored

Edited by corbanite

Based on absolutely nothing but my own opinions, I will disagree. I understand some people are unhappy about this... but I am willing to bet there is not some vast majority of Aussies/Kiwis that you have been elected due representative of.

A free transfer in just a few months is just that, a free transfer. People can choose to stay on their current servers if they wish. Or they can make alts on the new server and keep working on their main till the transfer. I just don't see how this is something deserving of forumrage.

We knew at launch that we would be able to transfer when the game went live in Aus, I was even willing to pay. Had i known that that it would have been free & a 2 month wait, I would have actually waited to buy the game on 1st March.

We knew at launch that we would be able to transfer when the game went live in Aus, I was even willing to pay. Had i known that that it would have been free & a 2 month wait, I would have actually waited to buy the game on 1st March.

While on one hand I feel for you, on the other I've only so much empathy to offer. If it is still a mindblowingly not fair travesty of modern gaming, there is the option of saving your 15$ until April 29th and resubscribing in time to play with friends on the new server. Or if you prefer to recoup your losses resub in 2-3 months so you haven't wasted your 15$ a month leveling/playing/theoretically having fun?

Unfortunately the truth of the matter is transfers takes a good while to set up and prepare properly, it's been like this in every single game that's ever offered them. It definitely sucks but patience is a virtue.

Actually every server transfer i did in wow was completed within 12 hrs. I dont care if i'm told my account wont be playable for a week while transfers are done, just dont make players wait 2 months to join servers we were under the impression would be good to go within the first few days of March.

Create an alt on the server to placeholder your name.

The legacy issue is a problem, but that is a problem we are all facing with server transfers. Who knows how it will work, so why rage out about it based on assumptions?

Criticism is not necessarily raging. I am not threating to quit or abusing people, just stating my opinion which we all have a right to do.

It's all well and good to create alts, which I have already done. But with only one of each server type for the region, there will be a need for additional servers (based off unofficial Oceanic servers being Jekk'Jekk, Harbinger, and Swiftsure being some of the heaviest populated US servers).

I've already stated previously the lack of servers will cause migration issues, whether this week, or next month. In my opinion, they should have created at least 2 or 3 PvE and PvP servers for launch to accomodate people wishing to transfer, and for new players. With 124 servers being available for launch on US servers, up to 6 servers for an Oceanic release would not have been unreasonable.

In addition to this, misinforming people of when the transfers would be occuring, then adjusting the timeline by roughly 2 months once live is pretty poor form. At least a bit of transpareny on the decision would have eleveated some of peoples concerns.

While on one hand I feel for you, on the other I've only so much empathy to offer. If it is still a mindblowingly not fair travesty of modern gaming, there is the option of saving your 15$ until April 29th and resubscribing in time to play with friends on the new server. Or if you prefer to recoup your losses resub in 2-3 months so you haven't wasted your 15$ a month leveling/playing/theoretically having fun?

I'm not after pity, I just find the entire way BW handles issues to be very frustrating. This is not the first time BW has tried to sneak changes through at the last minute. Seriously their customer service is deplorable, in the end i'll probably do what others are talking of doing and thats cancel till April out of spite if for no other reason just to show my dissatisfaction.

Criticism is not necessarily raging. I am not threating to quit or abusing people, just stating my opinion which we all have a right to do.

Agreed, your comments seemed totally reasonable. OP however was unquestionably "raging" (see thread name).

It's all well and good to create alts, which I have already done. But with only one of each server type for the region, there will be a need for additional servers (based off unofficial Oceanic servers being Jekk'Jekk, Harbinger, and Swiftsure being some of the heaviest populated US servers).

I've already stated previously the lack of servers will cause migration issues, whether this week, or next month. In my opinion, they should have created at least 2 or 3 PvE and PvP servers for launch to accomodate people wishing to transfer, and for new players. With 124 servers being available for launch on US servers, up to 6 servers for an Oceanic release would not have been unreasonable.

Believe me, I am not saying that the issue is inconsequential. It is however the same thing that's happened in pretty much every MMO I've played... basically ever. Gaming communities around the world are not treated equally, we don't pay the same rate, we don't get the same support, we don't get the same service, such is life.

In addition to this, misinforming people of when the transfers would be occuring, then adjusting the timeline by roughly 2 months once live is pretty poor form. At least a bit of transpareny on the decision would have eleveated some of peoples concerns.

I hear ya to a degree, but I don't know that it was any sort of malicious misinformation so much as standard MMO oversight. Yes we should certainly be past this by now, but clearly we are not.

I'm not after pity, I just find the entire way BW handles issues to be very frustrating. This is not the first time BW has tried to sneak changes through at the last minute. Seriously their customer service is deplorable, in the end i'll probably do what others are talking of doing and thats cancel till April out of spite if for no other reason just to show my dissatisfaction.

Empathy is def not the same as pity, but yes I agree their approach to customer service could really use some looking at. Definitely if quitting out of disappointment works for you, go for it, but if you're already planning to come back (I mean quitting till X date is essentially that) I can't imagine that your show of displeasure will amount to much.

Edited by SWImara

I'm guessing they're doing this to let the servers grow and not suddenly have full Battlemasters and raid equipted people waiting for fresh players aka bait for slaughter. Nothing kills the atmosphere more then to realize your brand new server already has max level players there with tons of cash running or rather ruining the economy.

Not to mention they'll need to see what the server's populations are like so they know where to send large groups of people without sitting you on an overly full server or a completely dead one.

Edited by Kindara

Unfortunately the truth of the matter is transfers takes a good while to set up and prepare properly, it's been like this in every single game that's ever offered them. It definitely sucks but patience is a virtue.

Not actually true. SWG offered full free, transfers with all your gear (apart from some items, such as resources and personal vendors) all within 2 hours of using the command. Everything was simply cloned over by software.

I think it's a pretty poor service to open the servers up without allowing existing characters (and names) to be transfered over asap.

Not actually true. SWG offered full free, transfers with all your gear (apart from some items, such as resources and personal vendors) all within 2 hours of using the command. Everything was simply cloned over by software.

I think it's a pretty poor service to open the servers up without allowing existing characters (and names) to be transfered over asap.

resources actually did transfer with you as well as vendors if you "Packed" them into your datapad, but transfers were not available at launch or anywhere near launch.

Maybe they will open up a new server when it is time to transfer to contain the new transferees.. DOes this solve the problem?

If it does then ask for this.

In fact this is a great solution and saves all the coding they have to do making sure about duplicates etc as well as not pissing off their customers

or just let this solution slip to the bottom and continue to complain and maybe it will get ignored

Opening new servers in late April for transferees with only cause further issues. This would only cause a segregation within the Oceanic community, with some being established amongst newer subscribers on servers existing several months.

As it stands, I have rolled an alt on the only Oceanic PvE server available in order to play with friends new to the game. New servers being opened at a later date only causes issues in people trying to organise server migration between existing and new players.

As I doubt transfers will be offered across currently established Oceanic servers, and any that are later added, there will likely be the same issue created on saturated number of US servers with population disparities for the opposite reason.

Opening new servers in late April for transferees with only cause further issues. This would only cause a segregation within the Oceanic community, with some being established amongst newer subscribers on servers existing several months.

As it stands, I have rolled an alt on the only Oceanic PvE server available in order to play with friends new to the game. New servers being opened at a later date only causes issues in people trying to organise server migration between existing and new players.

As I doubt transfers will be offered across currently established Oceanic servers, and any that are later added, there will likely be the same issue created on saturated number of US servers with population disparities for the opposite reason.

This is a valid point. I had made a post well before release stating that not having the servers at launch will segregate the community and it still holds true. Many people are in international guilds and even the Aussie guilds on servers like Harbinger and Swiftsure are hesitant to move. Transferring means leaving mates from other countries behind and also brings uncertainty. Harbinger and Swiftsure are 2 of the most heavily populated US servers and even with the transfers they will likely stay that way. Local servers have a much lower ping but what if you move to a dead server?

Yeah in 2009, 6 years after the game was released so I would say they had some time to put such ability in place. They didn't even offer character transfers until 14 months after release.

I think it is hilarious that players made a choice to play on a non-local server, then when they are available they get mad because they have to wait, when that is what they should have done to begin with.

Yes, it is pretty appalling to push transfers back until late April. I wonder why they are doing this - are they still trying to figure out how transfers work? lol

To give the servers a chance to grow organically, before a horde of 50's steamroll them.

People who are going to transfer should just roll level 1s to reserve names and then go about their business until the transfer window opens up.

It's not the end of the world.

I think you should just calm down and they will provide a reason to this no doubt.

"we are aware of the problem, and we are looking into it"

They will get the typical biodrone reply from a company that has lost its ability to be personal with their gamers.

They are part of EA folks. What bioware started out as is no longer what they are now.

They are just a corperate face, concerned with one thing and one thing only.

I think it is hilarious that players made a choice to play on a non-local server, then when they are available they get mad because they have to wait, when that is what they should have done to begin with.

Wait, so there were Asia/Pacific servers available at launch and? Am I missing something? They did not make a choice to play on non-local servers...there WERE none.

Wait, so there were Asia/Pacific servers available at launch and? Am I missing something? They did not make a choice to play on non-local servers...there WERE none.

He's telling you that you shouldn't have bought the game before it launched in your region.