Australian server transfer in LATE April!

melsione

This was the last straw for me. This is a ridiculous long wait for character transfers. I was looking forward to moving my characters of a dieing server to hopefully a thriving local server. But to have to wait 2 months to do this no thanks. I already had to put up with vast character imbalance, lack of ui features, and a hefty amount of bugs. Everythings just takes too long with Bioware, and when they do release it, its buggy as all hell.

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My favourite is when people are saying they are gonna quit cause they can't play with their friends who just got the game with thier establish lvl 50 characters.

I am glad we have our servers and don't mind waiting till April (I am a bit disappointed that the announcement was on the day of launch)

- they give time for the new server to grow naturally.

What does that even mean? ‘Grow naturally’? Is everyone starting at the same time somehow more natural than new players who sign up on US/Euro servers now?

- they put priority on supporting new influx of customers in accordance with regional launch

This is straw man. We are all new customers. The game has only been around for two months. By the time we can transfer characters, the game will be twice as old as it is now.

- they dont want whole influx of fully geared and rich mains ruining server balance and economy

This is a little more persuasive. However, the original servers were ruined by ‘Slicing-Gate’, and they survived. The addition of mains coming across will naturalise or balance or whatever with time.

- people who already subscribed can play with their friends in oceanic server as mentors , helping and questing and leveling together.

...and leaving their mains to stagnate. It’s not a good option, as far as I’m concerned. I’ve started a Trooper character (I’ve been meaning to for a while), but I’m not putting effort into both servers in order to focus on the story of both.

- they will analyze the population numbers on oceanic servers and decide wheter they need to add more oceanic server or not. the current amount (3) is indicative that bioware do not expect many people to justify adding more server. however this will change when the tally of people wanting to transfer is collected.

This makes sense too, but the numbers are going to be less indicative of the overall desirability of the Aussie servers. The main reason for low ping is for raids and PvP, and as far as I’m concerned, mostly for PvP. So having some characters who are capable of PvP at a high level straight off encourages data collection on the servers. It also has the adverse effect of ticking people off and convincing them to leave BOTH the US or Euro servers AND the Oceanic ones... that’s not good for business.

- they also monitor the number of ppl applying for free transfer and the remaining population on servers that got too many people transferring out. Bioware will support additional free transfers from certain servers to other servers that got population imbalance.

It could have been done prior to the opening of the new servers, with a simple set of instructions and a request for a yes/no response on whether the player was wanting a move. The population of old and new could have been monitored as the emails about transferring went out, seeing which players wanted to transfer, and then servers assigned accordingly, with new players having a quota of the overall population. That solves both the imbalances of the server population and the level imbalances...

this is a right move on bioware's part as mmo provider

So respectfully, I disagree. It might have been the right move in theory, but it was poorly managed and executed.

Edited by Cilionelle

Sigh

I guess I can understand why they delayed transfers for two months. Kind of. Arguments for an against there.

It has really disappointed me personally though, taken the wind out of my sails so to speak. And when my guildies log on tonight and see this information, they will be disappointed as well.

Hopefully they change it soon, as I don't really feel like rolling an entirely new character after the effort I put into my current ones. Our plans had always been to play on an Australian based server.

I suppose I should have thought about it a little bit more, and just waited for the Aus servers to come out and started then, however I had a few friends playing and didn't want to be left behind. Especially hearing about being able to transfer to a server on home soil.

Ahh well. We might end up staying on the US one now.

-Disappointed.

Late April? And you actually think that will be acceptable to the current Oceanic players?

Rolled gold stupidity Bioware.

That is all.

I find it acceptable I don't see the issue

The new server were implemented for the march release

In oceanic region for new players not players that imported before the release date

We are lucky that they are offering a transfer at all

Edited by denpic

Tried making a character there, but I just can't stand repeating everything from the past months.

The only reason I'm still playing is because Tera/GW2/Secret World are still months away, and I guess Bioware knows it too.

Here i was logging in to thank BW for giving us Physical servers located here in Australia which I feel is pretty epic of them. But i see we will have to wait till late April for transfers which is a very big change from the week or two we were originally advised.

....sigh.... this is VERY dissapointing, talk about a shambles, do i now consider the charachters ive been leveling and loving to play as nothng more than practice and abandon them, must i now power level a toon to reserve my legacy name? looks like I am going to have to.

Seriously Bioware, you knew how many Asia Pacific players you have subscribed, you have that data from our billing information, you knew from the bruhaha that occured when you failed to include is on launch day how many of us were out there, you know from active server populations during our time zones how many of us are active.

It's pretty clear that the Asia Pacific players community is supporting your product, that you have implamented local servers is a great step and one you should be congratulated on taking. But then you guys go and undermine all your hard work by making poor decisions like this. It's one step forward and two steps back, every time. Come on fella's your tearing apart the Asia Pacific Community. You side lined us all by not releasing here when you did in other non-english speaking parts of the world, you made it up to us by giving us servers, now your sidelining us again.

I shake my head in wonder at whoever made this decision, do they not have any idea about how such things effect us and effect how we feel about the game and you? Or do you just not care? I find it hard to beleive this could be the case given the steps you have taken, somone please change this, or explain why you were not prepared in advance of launch for this? it's not like you didnt know!

:confused::mad::confused:

you sir are correct.

I have sat at my pc and sometimes openlly on vent asked other guild members "What in gods name do you think you guys were doing.

This whole mess could have been fixed easy.

Bioware knows who is who and who has what toons where. Just migrate everybody's data for toons above 40 to the new servers before launch.

Send a email saying what they did and you will find your guild and toons on this server. If you fail to log into said toons withing 2 weeks we will automatically remove them from the aus server. If you do log into said toons they will be automatically removed from the old server.

Server starts up. Everybody is happy to fined there toons waiting there more them.

Offer transfers once they have sorted out how. Personally I cant see what that problem could be.

As it might be to let new players get to 50 then well they would now know there aren't may of them. I didn't see many new person questions last night.

Adding my voice to the outcry.

This really is pathetic, the servers are there, the low level zones are flooded with what are 95% Alts of people who have highly advanced (think, 2 months) characters stuck on 250-450 latency servers. Why was this not coordinated? Why not show the slightest bit of professionalism, and perform something properly?

Surely some ******** in marketing and research must have stood up at a board meeting and said what this delay would do?

Anyone that plays MMOs, or even has a passing casual interest in them, has got the game already from Amazon or a similar website. Those same people, who are playing right now and supporting your game, are the ones being ****ed over by this hair-brained decision.

To be blunt, I really don't know what you Aussies have to complain about. You purchased a game from overseas to play on a overseas servers because the Orential Release was going to be 10-11 weeks later. So unlike other Aussies, you got to play 11 weeks earlier (or less if your copy didn't come in time.) So now you have level 50 characters on servers you choose to be on. EA/Bioware is going to graciously give you a free transfer to the Aussie server of choice. Something they are under no obiligation to do. And you complain because the transfer feature won't be available for a couple more months.

I feel for you but you should realize that Bioware didn't even have to offer this free transfer service period. They're being nice and you ungrateful whiners are throwing it in their face.

Edited by JerokTalram

To be blunt, I really don't know what you Aussies have to complain about.

I think most are just complaining about the fact that it was stated that server transfers would be available with the new APAC servers, and now they're not.

To me it all seems like an attempt to keep subscribers. One of the criteria was to have an active subscription to be eligible for character transfer (active subscription up till 28th feb? ). Then once AP Servers are live, another sliver of information slips out... oh yeah btw transfers wont be happening until late April.

All i can say is thanks for at least telling me this now, cancelled my sub, only 1 day active left, good timing.

Edited by mungbeans

you sir are correct.

I have sat at my pc and sometimes openlly on vent asked other guild members "What in gods name do you think you guys were doing.

This whole mess could have been fixed easy.

Bioware knows who is who and who has what toons where. Just migrate everybody's data for toons above 40 to the new servers before launch.

Send a email saying what they did and you will find your guild and toons on this server. If you fail to log into said toons withing 2 weeks we will automatically remove them from the aus server. If you do log into said toons they will be automatically removed from the old server.

Server starts up. Everybody is happy to fined there toons waiting there more them.

Offer transfers once they have sorted out how. Personally I cant see what that problem could be.

As it might be to let new players get to 50 then well they would now know there aren't may of them. I didn't see many new person questions last night.

Everybody will be happy. What about those below level 40?

What if they login to the new server, play for a while but then see that performance is worse because they are not in Australia/New Zealand. Then they go back to the old server. Which gets deleted since they logged into both in the two weeks?

Yeah, this is going to make me quit - I have friends who are rolling on the new server and I want to play with them - having to wait almost two freaking months to play with my friends without rolling a new character is beyond retarded. Possibly the stupidest thing you've done bioware, and you've done a lot. Talking to people on my server theres a LOT of people very, very angry about this. Oceanic servers will be a ghost town a lot earlier if this happens - since everyone will straight up quit.

If your friends are re-rolling new characters, why not join them? Leveling in this game isn't that hard and unlike other MMO's is rather enjoyable.

I had no intention of transferring my characters anyway, so I'm not really effected by the two month delay. However, I feel for you who were going to transfer, I honestly do.

But someone pointed out something in game that I feel needs to be said. Two points -

1) New Australians (and other Asia Pacific players) are just starting off today on our shiny new servers. They haven't had the benefit of three months (around about) of play time, they don't have the same credit balances on their characters and probably won't for a week or two yet.

2) A bunch of 50s all descending on the new servers will seriously throw out the economy and most likely lock new players out (at least for the time being).

I hope this helps puts things into perspective. Granted, two months is STILL a bit of a stretch, and there's the potential problem of people loosing out on legacy names which really should be addressed. I hope Bioware will say something about that soon.

this is so retarted, how would it be any different to a new player starting on any other server??

If anything having 50's and everything else will make the server more balance because you have people already to farm mats, craft items, getting locked out by not having enough credits is bs, credits are easy to get but if ur the first person lvling on a server you wont have anything to spend them on because no lvl 50 will have been crafting youre purples for you to buy.

To be blunt, I really don't know what you Aussies have to complain about. You purchased a game from overseas to play on a overseas servers because the Orential Release was going to be 10-11 weeks later. So unlike other Aussies, you got to play 11 weeks earlier (or less if your copy didn't come in time.) So now you have level 50 characters on servers you choose to be on. EA/Bioware is going to graciously give you a free transfer to the Aussie server of choice. Something they are under no obiligation to do. And you complain because the transfer feature won't be available for a couple more months.

I feel for you but you should realize that Bioware didn't even have to offer this free transfer service period. They're being nice and you ungrateful whiners are throwing it in their face.

cliff is that way >>>> go jump please.

bio wear graciously gave us??? lol *** its called customer satisfaction, if you knew anything about business you would know this should be you're number concern and certainly you would see custom retention decreasing by pulling retarded **** like this, honestly how can you not be able to transfer characters? how hard can it be? I was suprised when I wanted to transfer a character to another server ages ago, US to US that you couldn't do it yet.

If transferring characters is really a monumental task for BW to do someone please correct me, because I would think its pretty damn simple.

The idea to stop people transferring to protect economy etc.... Is ridiculous any player who imported could reroll and be able to make a mint using their experience gained from the last 2 months. The real issue is that BW have no idea how to successfully transfer 'Legacy' to new servers. I wouldn't be surprised if when we do get transfers more horror stories come out of toons lost, reset legacy, items missing etc etc. My confidence in BW atm is >0 and that is by their own actions.

No arguement from me, the way communication has been handled since day 1 not to mention the bugs at launch have left me with no confidence in their brand.

blunt... but true.. agreed

my advice is this :

- try looking at the big picture instead of only from your own (limited) personal view. Assuming that all aussie/oceanic ppl that wanted to play SWTOR already bought it is naive and rash analysis.

- avoid having the attitude of 'serve me now, not later' that in the long run will bring harm to the overall balance of server population of SWTOR. BIOWARE's april transfer plan is the best for overall health / population not just australian/nz.

- good time to learn other AC by rolling new alts on oceanic while waiting for your main to transfer. helping build a real community by helping new players to SWTOR. As it is if you contribute to SWTOR community building by helping ppl, being polite and doing good to oers then who will? Selfishness and elitism ruins community in MMO.

- accumulate more stuff in your main in preparation for april transfer (money, mats, drops) so you can make a killing on the market.

- getting new friends in oceanic as you level / progress together from level 1 and maybe joining a better guild more suitable and accomodating to your style of play.

all in all it boils down to this : Dont be selfish and think only for your own (short term) gain, but thing bigger and wiser for better overall server population balance.

regards

Havent you typed this dribble earlier in this thread? Here's an idea i'll stop thinking of myself when you start paying my subscription.

lmao...u all complain cant transfer till april...if u could transfer now..u be enjoying massive server queues...7pm and pvp server already full without anyone transfering toons...ill wait until they add more servers..u can complain about missing out on sitting in queues

^ This

Really it wasnt even launched Officially to the Oceanic community until yesterday. I consider it a blessing that they are even considering transfer for us as nice gesture and yet so many people are qq sad pandas.

Really how hard is it to level a character to 50? Average should take you around 1 month. 2 months at 50 raiding with great gear and you wont even notice the difference. even then you can probably level faster as you can skip your story due to having done it already.

Flame me if you want but Bioware could of just said **** we IP block you until we officially launch the game for the Oceanic community.

Been around long? The reason I ask is because unlike your assumptions all the above questions were answered before we bought the game.

- server transfers are not a blessing, we were actually told we would be able to prior to the 20/12 which is one reason we went ahead and purchased the game.

- when you have multiple 50's and other alts only a fool would reroll and duplicate what classes he/she has

- Again before the 20/12 players had assurances that there would be no IP blocking which is another reason we bought the game ahead of time.

Rather than your irrational emotional responses, we on the other hand had made well informed decisions in regards to purchasing the game prior to the 20/12.